• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman FAQ: "How do I get my idea made into an anime?"

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EireformContinent

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:07 pm Reply with quote
lostrune wrote:
Sheleigha wrote:
Honestly, I'm surprised that some people want to move to Japan and become mangaka and such, despite the overwhelming news of the non-stop work causing carpal tunnel, and other physical/mental illnesses that causes MANY of the main artists to take a several month's leave at a time :/

Apparently it's a desirable job.

That kind of dedication to the job is probably why manga is so beloved. It's not a great job for someone looking to make a quick buck, you have to really love the medium and put your all into it.

Yep, because everything that reader cares is the creator dying from heart attack before he manages to finish our favourite.
I really can't see why crappy schedules, stress and meddling executives could make anything better.

Quote:
Many people don't realize how much tougher it would be to work over there, with how relaxed things are in the western world. It's a lot more stressful and filled with work. In the end, it IS a job and not just a hobby for weekends.

I have an impression that in public perception all kinds of creative works aren't really a job. Painters, musicians and writers just hang around in bars, slipping mojito and seducing whatever happens to pass by, waiting for a muse. The only thing the real artist can struggle with is himself. And even this comes into artistic way that has nothing in common with simple learning, training and changing ways. Everything else is probably done by fairy good mothers. Just peek at random forum for aspiring writers for that picture and more.

Schedules, bosses, executives, negotiations with redactors, even correcting spelling and formatting are for those who sold themselves out, therefore are artists no more.
daichi383

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:45 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed reading this lol. I figured this out not too long after i became an anime fan in 06 so i decided that if i wanted to see my own stories made i'd just do it myself instead of putting all my hopes on someone else. Now i'm an animator/writer/sound and video editor and while i may not be the best at any of those, i'm building up a portfolio of work and getting my stuff done for mostly me to enjoy but other can if they want to.

I do all this in my spare time of course since i'm studying at university to get a "real"job but yeah. I f you want something done, you gotta do it yourself. Unless you have the money in which case hire Madhouse. Rolling Eyes
nargun

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:49 pm Reply with quote
TsunaReborn! wrote:
I think people will more likely get a book published than an anime made. So why don't people try to write a book, see how it sells (if it gets pick up at all), if it's relatively successful pay someone to translate it.

It's actually cheaper to get a book written from scratch than to get one translated, because translators make reasonable living wages and authors can be had for somewhat less.

... since there's no shortage of ideas [I have a YA series about a magic kingdom in mid-19th-century russian far east kicking about in my head that I'm never going to do anything with], unless the original work has been particularly successful in its original language and there's reason to believe that that might carry over, you may as well give one of your spare ideas to a lowly-paid writer [or, hell, let them use their own ideas: cheaper still!] and roll the dice again.
Help_me_Im_a_n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:35 am Reply with quote
I can't believe no one mentioned Training with Hinako (Sleeping, etc.) I might have misunderstood but I thought it was the most doujin thing ever to do.

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2009-05-07/isshoni-training-anime-planned-written-funded-by-1-man

Brb, I gotta earn my millions in unrelated business venture first.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:55 pm Reply with quote
notrogersmith wrote:
Spotlesseden wrote:
I think first Westerns need know what Asians like. You have to write you story to target Asians, not other westerns. Like the main characters are normally descendant of famous/powerful people or face. Japanese don't believe normal random guy can be successful. It doesn't mean you can't break the rule, but you still need to know this.

There are a lot of problems with this.

First, your example of what the Japanese supposedly like is questionable, since there are a lot of protagonists in anime that are supposedly ordinary, at least in the sense of not being, as you put it, a "descendant of famous/powerful people."

Second, the whole idea of "what Asians like" is ill-defined. Consider Japan alone. Its population is about 128 million, somewhere between a third and a half that of the population of the U.S. That's a lot of people, and even with Japanese culture being arguably more homogeneous than American culture, that's still a lot of opportunity for variation.

Third, attempting to target what some demographic can all too easily lead to something that looks bland or obviously derivative.

Best not to try to hard to try to target some audience, but rather just write or draw what one likes. The probability of success is about the same as if one does try to target, and if one fails, at least one fails while doing what one likes.

give me 5 popular manga/anime has ordinary protagonists? Yes, go name your five from some harem manga, you can forget about shounen battle manga.

You can write what you like, now you just have to convince your editor that will work in Japan.(that's why you need to learn Japanese) I think it's much easier to sell your work when your know your audience. Once it gets publish, you have more opportunities to write what you want.

Forget about publish it in Japan, you will have problem getting your work publish in US if your work has no target audience and just writing it randomly. it's much easier to try to sell something just certain group people than to sell it everybody.
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Blunt, truthful, hard to swallow. That light is possible to reach but you have to have some divine energy helping you. No less, a great article.

Just get some American company to publish your idea but similar repercussions still apply though but at least there's the lack of all that foreign material you'll have to be force-fed. Yeah, I'm one of those "naive" people but my idea even getting published would be satisfying enough. You have to start out small though to make it to the "big time" and it is possible, look at Gail Simone.

Self-publishing is also an idea but again, the chances of becoming successful or even popular for that matter are far and few in between. In the long run, you have to ask yourself "Did I enjoy wasting my time writing/drawing this? Did this affect my income/studies greatly?" If the answer is yes to the first question and no to the second, you should feel proud and satisfied of yourself.
Al Sav

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:43 pm Reply with quote
I would say don't wait around for some Manga fairy to appear and wave a wand over your life. Do it on an independent level. Get illustrators and computer graphic and artists to collaborate. Canvas local colleges to invite people who are creative to help you out. It's not easy to break into ANY part of the entertainment industry but fortune favours the brave and the bold so do it yourself, get others to help you develop your ideas and make it a team. If you wait around for someone from the anime/manga industry to help you it will simply never happen. So I agree with the article but would say TAKE POSITIVE ACTION.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Okay okay I get it they don't want just any old idea it doesn't work that way it has to be tried and tested but what if said idea had something like a light novel already made and it was tried and true and extremely popular on multiple different platforms then would it be possible to push that light novel in front of the nose have one of the decision-makers I don't even care which decision maker just one of them
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7