• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Pony Canyon Production Company Expands to US Market

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:48 am Reply with quote
SouthPacific wrote:

I didn't tell you to get out of your hobby Confused. You said fortune and then replied with a $60 release. If $60 is a fortune to anyone who collects anime they can't be in a financial state where having such a money driven hobby is good for them.

Okay fine and I clarified for you that I thought $60 was a fortune for a bare bones release not that I would never consider paying $60. In fact I buy from NISA all the time at that price.

Quote:
And if you don't value video quality that much i'm not sure why'd you go as far as to buy discs...

I never said I didn't value video quality. I just don't see that this improved video quality is somehow worth 50% mark up compared to other companies.

And let's argue that BR are worth that much why are DVDs being priced that high? Again with Funi's release of AOT I am getting a BR for less than I am spending on a DVD from Aniplex. Are you saying Aniplex DVD's have better video quality than Funi's BR's?

Quote:
Anyways, another thing Aniplex has got going for them lately is speed. They've been decreasing the delay between the JP releases and US releases, which is another thing to factor into their prices. Time is money as they say..

Well maybe and while I don't like to wait I can wait for better prices.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:11 am Reply with quote
Maiden, please pick a reasonable BD or DVD first release by FUNimation to compare.

Cherry-picking AoT's ridiculously low price because FUNi hopes to make up for it via much larger volume of sales is not helping your argument.

For instance, if I want to buy Railgun on DVD, the two sets have an MSRP of $60 each, and that's after it took 3-4 years to get here.

AoA's pricing is ridiculous for their 'Japan import' releases. Their domestic releases are slightly higher but nowhere near as ridiuclous as you make it out to be.

Last edited by Megiddo on Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:16 am; edited 2 times in total
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:13 am Reply with quote
Ingraman wrote:
mdo7 wrote:
I mean I'm not buying a 200 dollar anime BDs that contain 2-3 episodes (so much overpricing, why Japan, why overpriced stuff).

What 2- or 3-episode anime Blu-ray did you find with a MSRP of $200? Nothing on your link about that, anyway...

Actually you'll be surprised. Also I posted the link to show how Japan overpriced their items including fruit and vegetable.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
luffypirate

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:41 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:

AoA's pricing is ridiculous for their 'Japan import' releases.

Actually, their early Japan import prices were quite nice back when the yen was inflated. I saved myself a good chunk of change on their first handful of offerings. Now they fail to account for deflation. I stopped completely with the price comparisons after I saw what they were asking for the Oreimo BD box. Had it shipped to my residence a week faster and $60+ cheaper from Amazon JP. Less mouse clicks on payment too!

mdo7 wrote:
Ingraman wrote:
mdo7 wrote:
I mean I'm not buying a 200 dollar anime BDs that contain 2-3 episodes (so much overpricing, why Japan, why overpriced stuff).

What 2- or 3-episode anime Blu-ray did you find with a MSRP of $200? Nothing on your link about that, anyway...

Actually you'll be surprised. Also I posted the link to show how Japan overpriced their items including fruit and vegetable.

I'd like to know about this $200 disc as well. Are we talking "out of print" pricing? The most I've seen for a single disc in that category is around 7000 JPY. No one every buys them they just sit on the auction pages being re-listed over and over again.

I have heard that the pizza is expensive. I have also heard that it is "THE BEST IN THE WORLD" (haha we used to joke about this girl in our elementary Japanese class...she would pretty much say anything she had on her trip there was worthy of "the best in the world" label ;p)
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:49 am Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
SouthPacific wrote:

I didn't tell you to get out of your hobby Confused. You said fortune and then replied with a $60 release. If $60 is a fortune to anyone who collects anime they can't be in a financial state where having such a money driven hobby is good for them.

Okay fine and I clarified for you that I thought $60 was a fortune for a bare bones release not that I would never consider paying $60. In fact I buy from NISA all the time at that price.

Quote:
And if you don't value video quality that much i'm not sure why'd you go as far as to buy discs...

I never said I didn't value video quality. I just don't see that this improved video quality is somehow worth 50% mark up compared to other companies.

And let's argue that BR are worth that much why are DVDs being priced that high? Again with Funi's release of AOT I am getting a BR for less than I am spending on a DVD from Aniplex. Are you saying Aniplex DVD's have better video quality than Funi's BR's?

Quote:
Anyways, another thing Aniplex has got going for them lately is speed. They've been decreasing the delay between the JP releases and US releases, which is another thing to factor into their prices. Time is money as they say..

Well maybe and while I don't like to wait I can wait for better prices.

I don't know how the DVD quality differs between Funimation & Aniplex, since I don't watch/buy DVDs if a Blu-ray release has been made available in Japan or anywhere else.

On the matter of NISA; I was surprised when I first found out how cheap their stuff is. I mean, compare a NIS release to a Sentai or Funimation release. You're pretty much paying the same price, and you're getting not just more stuff, but high quality stuff. And the personal attention they give to their titles really shows how passionate they are about anime and the titles they license. They're my #1 company for sure.

So i can throw that back at you. Why isn't Funimation and Sentai more like NIS Wink?

And while Funimation may charge less than Aniplex for their releases I don't think they have the same amount of value, in terms of how much you pay for what you get. You get hastily authored discs that are likely to have some errors in a standard amaray case which in most cases has promotional artwork as its cover. That's it. To me, that's not worth the amount of money they're asking for, even if they're asking for much less than Aniplex.

Lets take a popular Aniplex title like F/Z. You get extremely well authored discs in white-ish amaray cases that has unique artwork as its covers. Big difference already, but we're far from done. You also get a CD that includes the first Orginal Soundtrack for the show, in a seperate amaray case with seperate artwork. Adding onto that there's also a bonus DVD that includes exclusive staff interviews. A small art booklet is also included in the set. All of the aformentioned items are then housed in a rigid art box that has a unique illustration that was created by the original character designer Takashi Takeuchi.

Do you see the difference? Aniplex goes beyond and above in their effort to create a full and endearing release. To me, and obviously to a lot of other people it's worth paying that chunk of extra money for such a release.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:05 am Reply with quote
SouthPacific wrote:
I think our Monogatari releases are merely 7 months behind Japan, which is amazing. Kill La Kill is also not far behind Japan, and the upcoming Nisekoi releases will follow this pattern. Not having to wait 12-18 months feels really good.

I'd rather wait for all the episodes of a series to be released then to have to buy them as a boxset than to buy singles. Then again, I think Japan could start making their singles as 4 ep. per disc.
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:52 am Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:

I'd like to know about this $200 disc as well. Are we talking "out of print" pricing? The most I've seen for a single disc in that category is around 7000 JPY. No one every buys them they just sit on the auction pages being re-listed over and over again.

I have heard that the pizza is expensive. I have also heard that it is "THE BEST IN THE WORLD" (haha we used to joke about this girl in our elementary Japanese class...she would pretty much say anything she had on her trip there was worthy of "the best in the world" label ;p)

I don't remember where I seen it, but it was embedded in my memory because I found that price to be ridiculous. But they do exist, I can tell you that. But let's face it, a lot of stuff in Japan are expensive and overpriced. That's one of the many thing I'll never understand about Japan.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:02 am Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
luffypirate85 wrote:

I don't remember where I seen it, but it was embedded in my memory because I found that price to be ridiculous. But they do exist, I can tell you that. But let's face it, a lot of stuff in Japan are expensive and overpriced. That's one of the many thing I'll never understand about Japan.

$200 for a 2-3 ep anime volume? Links or nope, the whole "trust me, i've seen it"-thing does not hold up in any regard.
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:05 am Reply with quote
SouthPacific wrote:

$200 for a 2-3 ep anime volume? Links or nope, the whole "trust me, i've seen it"-thing does not hold up in any regard.

If that is possible, then I would've done it on my last post. Sorry, you'll have to find it for yourself. I'm not wasting my time to look it up for you. You can believe it or not. But I have seen it before.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:12 am Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
luffypirate85 wrote:

I've never seen that price and question it existing. You can goto Amazon.jp and your won't find anything like that. You can pull up like the first thousand anime releases, check the prices, and see that your $200 2-3 episode release is clearly a fluke/nonexistent.
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:15 am Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
SouthPacific wrote:

If that is possible, then I would've done it on my last post. Sorry, you'll have to find it for yourself. I'm not wasting my time to look it up for you. You can believe it or not. But I have seen it before.

I don't believe it. You're incapable of providing any kind of proof. The end.
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:21 am Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:

I've never seen that price and question it existing. You can goto Amazon.jp and your won't find anything like that. You can pull up like the first thousand anime releases, check the prices, and see that your $200 2-3 episode release is clearly a fluke/nonexistent.

Well I don't remember where I saw it, but it wasn't on the internet. It was somewhere else. This was like maybe 2 or 3 years ago. The rest was a blur.

SouthPacific wrote:

It wasn't on the internet, and it your loss if you think I'm lying. You think I'm making this up, the day you see a $200 DVD with only 2-3 episodes is the day you'll regret calling me a liar, they do exist but it's probably rare. In my long time experience as an anime fan, I never seen a DVD with 2-3 episodes being priced over $200.

Again, it's your lost if you think I'm making this up. What would happen if what I said was true but you can't find it on the internet?
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:42 am Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:

SouthPacific wrote:

It wasn't on the internet, and it your loss if you think I'm lying. You think I'm making this up, the day you see a $200 DVD with only 2-3 episodes is the day you'll regret calling me a liar, they do exist but it's probably rare. In my long time experience as an anime fan, I never seen a DVD with 2-3 episodes being priced over $200.

Again, it's your lost if you think I'm making this up. What would happen if what I said was true but you can't find it on the internet?

No i'm not going to regret anything, because 2-3 eps will never be $200. It's as simple as that.

Quote:
You think I'm making this up, the day you see a $200 DVD with only 2-3 episodes is the day you'll regret calling me a liar

You sound eerily similiar to one of those crazy religious people you see in movies. "When doomsday arrives all you nonbelivers will go to hell!".

E: What do you mean by "not on the internet"? Was it some dude trying to rip you by simple overpricing? Because that doesn't mean that you'll see distributors and retailers suddenly jack up their prices to follow his noble example Laughing
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:37 am Reply with quote
SouthPacific wrote:

It must be nice going around telling people they're liars just because you don't like the outcome. Maybe mdo7 saw 200 $ dvds. Who the **** are you to judge him ? Maybe those dvds were very rare hence the stellar pricetag.
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:03 pm Reply with quote
And you sir are a scholar and a gentleman. Keep it classy with the insults Wink.

Anyways, what is this outcome you speak of? I really have no idea what you mean by that at all... And maybe this is a cultural thing, but where i'm from you don't go around saying things that seem extremely unlikely without having some kind of proof that what you're saying is true.

I should write $200 on a piece of paper, put it on one of my DVDs and then claim that i've seen $200 DVDs.

^The above is as credible and real as what Mdo is stating. It's as credible as someone telling me Santa is real. It's as credible as someone telling me God is real because he/she hear voices at night. No matter how much you can tell me something is real it won't matter to me unless you can actually bring some facts or evidence to back your claims.

Furthermore, in one of his replies he said he wasn't going to waste his time searching for it, but that I could search for the item myself. A few posts later he says that the item apparently wasn't on the internet and that he found it a couple of years ago which further leads me to believe that in his desperation to save face he's making it impossible to verify if what he says is actually true. Why is he mentioning all of this key informations so late? Why would fluke like him finding DVDs priced at $200 a couple of years back mean that those prices are going to become normal?

I've bought DVDs for $150. Not because it was the normal price, but because it was an OOP release. I can print the reciept from Amazon to prove it too. Mdo hasn't said anything about the item being OOP or not, he's just said that it was expensive and that I should brace myself for the coming of when DVDs are priced at $200 for 2-3 eps.

This is all terribly ridiculous. If you say something that seems extremely unlikely without having any kind of evidence whatsoever you should not expect anyone to believe you.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9