• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
AntiMagic Academy "The 35th Test Platoon" (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maxwell3094

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:50 am Reply with quote
Welp that's a pretty good sign of no 2nd season since they went with an anime original ending. If that's what they were going for they really should have actually wrapped things up instead of introducing new plot points. Overall this was pretty disappointing as someone who read the source. Hopefully the rest of you got something out of it.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:55 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

This was one of the best arcs of this series, and with the usual complaint that this series was in general rushed, it does give the impression that they really wanted to fit this story into the episode.

This series reminds me quite a bit of Strike the Blood, a similar magical battle harem series as this, and also done by Silver Link. I really enjoyed Strike the Blood, and it was helped immensely by the fact that it had a full 24 episodes to tell the breadth of its story. I can quite point exactly how they are similar, but this series catchphrase of carrying burdens reminds me of "no senpai, this is our fight".

As much as this felt to me like a good climatic ending, it also feels like things are not resolved as well as I would like. We got introduced to a Suginami, who I am going to guess is the original DNA owner of the main group's Suginami. And we see the young dark elf, Kanaria, not actually even do anything. I don't know what happened in the original show, but it feels like not an entirely satisfying place to stop here, and probably little promise of continuing.

I did like this, at least parts of this, and did feel somewhat invested that I felt frustration over what felt like things skipped to fit everything in. I liked characters too, I can't even explain why I thought Usagi was a particularly good character. I give an overall rating of Good, it was worth seeing.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:22 am Reply with quote
Has anyone besides me had trouble with confabulating the pair of Takeru+Ōka with Ayato+Julis from the simultaneously streaming The Asterix War? It has been a busy year for me and it seems more than once I remembered an event from one anime that occurred in the other. I'm watching too much I suppose.

Amiable but low-ranked male with power limiters. Sword powers. Absent/distressed sister. Tsundere high-ranked female with a revenge agenda warms to him. The rest of the harem all have their own appeal but are pretty much set up to lose. Etc.
Cam0

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:46 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Has anyone besides me had trouble with confabulating the pair of Takeru+Ōka with Ayato+Julis from the simultaneously streaming The Asterix War? It has been a busy year for me and it seems more than once I remembered an event from one anime that occurred in the other. I'm watching too much I suppose.

Not really since the shows were so different in terms of atmosphere and stakes. Anti-Magic Academy is a much darker show with life threatening situations and villains that actually want to kill you.

This show was a horribly paced mess. Unfortunate really since I thought this show had more potential than Asterisk War. I did find this show to be pretty enjoyable though. I'll give it the same rating as Asterisk War: decent.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:19 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Has anyone besides me had trouble with confabulating the pair of Takeru+Ōka with Ayato+Julis from the simultaneously streaming The Asterix War?

I kept confusing them with Rakuden as well. All three seemed mostly interchangeable until the last 3 or so episodes, and every time I'd start an episode of any of them, or try to remember what happened last, I had trouble being sure I was recalling the right series. Had they aired in different seasons I might still have had a problem, but together it was like untangling bubblegummed braids.

As far as this series, when it was actually pursuing a plot and not just harem hijinks and tsundere fan service, I was mostly in a state of wut?, even after winnowing out errant details from the other series. Smile
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Final Episode (a late opinion)

Gah, the CGI in the beginning of the episode was horrible. It didn't blend well with the 2D backgrounds like the "suits" did. This final episode also seems like a bit of a mess because it introduces some plot points that don't/won't get develop -- i.e. the other Suginami, the earlier introduced Elf girl, Orochi, etc.

I don't know what to say about what I enjoyed. I guess the contract Ohtori made really strengthens her character's relation to Takeru. But in the larger scheme of things, the whole episodic adapt-a-girl's arc ultimately leaves us. . . nowhere in terms of progress in the plot. I don't feel like we've gotten much other than additions to the harem and knowing the characters. That may be good but I'd like to know where this would all lead.

At best I'd rate this Good but I think I'll stick with Decent now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7