• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Code Geasscast

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jroa

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:21 am Reply with quote
Akane the Catgirl wrote:
Back to the topic at hand. Personally, I'd give the first season a "You Tried" award and a recommendation to those with a high tolerance for nonsense. At least the writing staff put effort into the story, even if it was all for nothing. The second half gets a facepalm and a recommendation of "watch it once then never ever again" because you can't watch one half without the other.

That's a valid way to look at it, but in my opinion the show achieved its main objective in both seasons. This makes it a success in my book. Most of the audience found the series entertaining to watch, which was always its biggest priority, and a majority of those people did feel emotionally engaged by Lelouch in particular and the ending in general, regardless of their prior complaints, in order to appreciate it.

There are ostensibly better written shows that do not accomplish either of those things. It would be interesting to have a debate about how audience reactions to media and fiction work in a less series-specific context.

It is true that the "I watched 50 episodes and felt nothing for the characters" stance does apply to some viewers, like Zac and Hope, but it might be the exception rather than the rule. I didn't get the impression that you needed to be a teenager in order to feel otherwise, especially since that premise wasn't true in my case.

Curiously enough, I would say that rewatching the second season (or the whole thing, really) actually improved my opinion of it. It's still worse than the first one though. But I did get a better grasp for what the show still did well on both a macro and micro level. That's where I have some disagreements with the hosts of the podcast. In the end, you could say Code Geass meets my minimum conditions for recommendation even without really being the most sophisticated anime.
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:22 am Reply with quote
^ Well...yeah. Personally, I found it to be entertaining as long as you're not taking it seriously. I liked what they were going for half the time, but the writing still has a lot of problems. To me, the second half feels like it was being written by the seat of the writer's pants, which is a big no-no for the sort of structure Code Geass has. I already detailed why in my first post here. Here's an example of what I mean:

spoiler[If someone were to tell me that the staff were going to permanently kill off C.C. in Episode 15, I'd believe them in a heartbeat. She doesn't do anything important for the rest of the series (especially during her otaku-pandering amnesiac phase), and honestly, I think they should have let her die. My theory is that the executives told Okouchi and pals "No, you need to keep C.C. alive" for whatever reasons, and so they changed the ending at the last minute.]

So today's lesson is that the Studio Sunrise executives should have just let the staff do what they needed to do.
SillyPerson

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:14 am Reply with quote
Akane the Catgirl wrote:
Just came by one more time to respond to this. Specifically, in regards to the Cowboy Bebop stuff. ... I'd like to ask you how you got the idea that Knockin' on Heaven's Door took place after the ending of the TV series.

Sorry about that, I guess I was wrong. Where I got the idea that the movie took place after the ending of the series is, that is generally how things go and I hadn't even considered the possibility that this was not the case, and wasn't even aware I was making an assumption, much less an incorrect assumption. So yeah, sorry, I was mistaken, your analysis of things is entirely correct and I got it wrong. This also explains why the movie made very little sense to me, since the whole time I saw it I thought it took place after the series and this caused me to think it was full of plot holes and contradictions, when actually I was just confused about when it takes place. I am just SO used to anime movies taking place after the end of the show, I didn't think of that possibility... although to be honest I DID know that the Fullmetal Alchemist Sacred Star of Milos movie occurs during one of the timeskips early on in the Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood series, so this idea is not entirely foreign to me. Anyway, thank you, now everything about Cowboy Bebop makes WAY more sense to me.

Back to Code Geass... great show with some flaws pointed out in the podcast, for now I stand by everything I said about it... at least until someone finds a mistake in what I said... hopefully I didn't make any factual errors in what I said about Code Geass, but when I do make a factual error I'm the first to admit it.

It's possible I might be wrong, for instance, about CC's ability to talk to dead people other than the not-actually-dead Marianne. But CC has so MANY abilities, and Marianne being a spirit with no body anymore is essentially the same status as dead people in the Code Geass universe, so logically CC's ability would PROBABLY work on talking to the dead, just not necessarily. But with her talking to Lelouch in that last line of the series, I think most likely she really is talking to him, with him being dead and off in the spirit world and able to hear what she says to him the same way Marianne could hear it from the spirit world (or from the body of that knight girl Marianne possessed, it's unclear whether a physical body is necessary for telepathy in the universe of Code Geass or whether disembodied spirits such as the souls of the dead can also be communicated with telepathically). The one guy whose Geass was reading other people's minds could only do it on living people with physical bodies, but it seemed his form of telepathy was quite different from CC's telepathy with Marianne.

One last note: I think No Game No Life is a little bit similar to Code Geass, in the powers that the winner of a game can have over the loser, such as being able to order them around, mess with their memories, etc. I think in some ways No Game No Life parodies shows like Code Geass, although admittedly it is quite different so it is not a direct parody. Still, the system of games in the world of No Game No Life is very very similar to geass powers.
GalicianNightmare

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:18 pm Reply with quote
It's worth noting that "Code Geass" is not 50 episodes. R2 is counted as a separate show, not a continuation. It isn't like Simpson seasons. It's Code Geass Lelouch of the Rebellion 2006-2007 and Code Geass Lelouch of the Rebellion R2. Each is 25 episodes long. The same concept applies to Gundam 00, but does not apply to Big O. Big O II EXPLICITLY shows the episode after 13 to be 14 and not S2, Episode 1.

That aside, I liked this the first series. The characters and developments were interesting. Lelouch's motives were noble, even if you didn't like the methods. Suzaku methods were noble, even if you didn't the motives. That's my view on things. R2 sucked. It was just small Gundam. Yes, the mechs were in 2D and the fights were fluid, but they got boring and they ultimately detracted from the plot.

As for the dubs. Let's just say that it was Animaze's best way to go out. It was an all star cast of A+ VAs from JYB, to Yuri Lowenthal, from Karen Strassman to Steve Blum, to Michael McConnohie. I know JYB's Lelouch is a Marmite performance, but I love it. He fit the body type and appearance perfectly. He was sympathetic, conniving, fabulous and OTT all together. You couldn't ask for a better Lelouch. 100% perfect. Yuri Lowenthal was calm, sympathetic and heroic as Suzaku and fit him to a tee. Kate Higgins' C.C is hard to describe, but I liked her voice a lot. Karen Strassman was a badass as Kallen, but also showed some emotional range as well. The sides are just as good, although Rakshata was voiced weird. In the JP version, she had a sultry voice. Odd.

The JP version also sounded great to my ears, though in a different way. Jun Fukuyama certainly had a rich tone to his voice. He even sounded deeper than Joji Nakata as Diethard in certain scenes. Odd performance, but I kinda like it.
jroa

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 4:51 pm Reply with quote
GalicianNightmare wrote:

As for the dubs. Let's just say that it was Animaze's best way to go out. It was an all star cast of A+ VAs from JYB, to Yuri Lowenthal, from Karen Strassman to Steve Blum, to Michael McConnohie. I know JYB's Lelouch is a Marmite performance, but I love it. He fit the body type and appearance perfectly. He was sympathetic, conniving, fabulous and OTT all together. You couldn't ask for a better Lelouch. 100% perfect. Yuri Lowenthal was calm, sympathetic and heroic as Suzaku and fit him to a tee. Kate Higgins' C.C is hard to describe, but I liked her voice a lot. Karen Strassman was a badass as Kallen, but also showed some emotional range as well. The sides are just as good, although Rakshata was voiced weird. In the JP version, she had a sultry voice. Odd.

The English dub was great, in my opinion, except for Nunnally's performance.

The Japanese voice actress absolutely sold her screams in the last episode so much better. To such an extent that I think the scene is fully justified on a purely visceral level, period, which for me was usually far more important than the alternative in this particular show. Even when there were other applicable explanations available too.

Akane the Catgirl wrote:

spoiler[If someone were to tell me that the staff were going to permanently kill off C.C. in Episode 15, I'd believe them in a heartbeat. She doesn't do anything important for the rest of the series (especially during her otaku-pandering amnesiac phase), and honestly, I think they should have let her die. My theory is that the executives told Okouchi and pals "No, you need to keep C.C. alive" for whatever reasons, and so they changed the ending at the last minute.]

I honestly didn't get the same impression you did, that they were ever going to "kill her" in R2 episode 15, so we sure didn't have similar expectations about what was going on. That said, I didn't like the idea of changing her that way either, even if only for a few episodes. Her standard personality was much better than having her regress.

I'll get to the point though: I don't think she should have died.

First, C.C. is, after all, meant to be the narrator of the story being told. That serves a framing purpose. Second, the important thing about this experience was that C.C. did start regaining her humanity after her memories returned. A few scenes in the last arc show this much. Which I don't have a problem with and was actually a valid way to wrap up her characterization.

Quote:
So today's lesson is that the Studio Sunrise executives should have just let the staff do what they needed to do.

In principle, we agree. The difference is we have our own ideas about what they "needed" to do.
xzy123

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:56 pm Reply with quote
i for one don't like BIG talking MC. The first time i watch the series i found the MC annoying and skip most of lulu BIG talk. the series itself got good without lulu and with a lot action the is super enjoyable. everything change when i saw a youtube video talking lullu vs light who win if they don't know each other battle to rule the world. at first i don't know what they are talking about and enjoy the them battle each other for who is right and wrong. after couple of month i start re-watch the series to see why they think lulu is the win and to see something i can't see the first time watching the series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7