• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Former Ghibli Producer: Women Too 'Realistic' to Direct Fantasy Films

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:50 am Reply with quote
@Guile: I'm not sure what articles you might be referring to, but here are some articles that shed more light on the culture surrounding women in the workplace, and the difficulties they face in attaining higher levels of seniority (including in relation to maternity leave, like you mentioned).

http://money.cnn.com/2015/12/07/news/economy/japan-women-senior-positions/
http://qz.com/548802/almost-half-of-japanese-working-women-are-told-theyre-causing-trouble-or-should-retire-when-they-get-pregnant/
http://qz.com/567026/japan-cut-its-target-for-women-in-leadership-positions-from-30-to-7/
http://www.economist.com/news/briefing/21599763-womens-lowly-status-japanese-workplace-has-barely-improved-decades-and-country

There's deeply ingrained perceptions that women are selfish for choosing work over child-rearing, which might explain your mention of good maternity leave options. You can also see at the following link how the US has a fairly larger representation of women in the executive workforce at top companies compared to Japan: https://hbr.org/2014/07/how-6-countries-compare-on-executive-gender-balance/ There are quite a number of articles in general that talk about the difficulties that women in Japan face in the workforce due to cultural expectations and traditional values, it's worth looking into. My first negative exposure to Japan's expectations of women in the workforce was back when I was first studying Japanese in college years and years ago, and learned about the culture surrounding office ladies.

The discussion actually reminds me of an image from Shirobako that I saw some months ago. While I'm admittedly not familiar with the show to know how gender roles actually play out, at least taking from this image, the men seem to come from various walks of life, facial features and body proportions, whereas the women almost all seem similar in their features, from youthfulness and body builds, to their gentle-looking dispositions. I can't help but wonder how much a reflection that might be on the cultural reality of women's position in the modern Japanese workplace.

Chrysostomus

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:56 am Reply with quote
Arale Kurashiki wrote:
It also falls into the common fallacy of "[x minority] isn't doing this, therefore they don't want to do it". i'm sure there are tons of women who would love to direct if given the chance, but almost every director right now is a man, so it's a lot harder to get into the industry. obviously.
Well, sometimes that's true though. I mean, women have absolutely nothing stopping them from playing chess. But how many chess grand masters are women? What if it's a simple fact that women aren't interested in playing chess the same way men are?
Haterater

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:18 am Reply with quote
@ Chrysostomus

Many factors are involved for many fields, from parenting and society steering gender in one direction to possible hostile environments to work with(especially in tech fields). Income disparity, sexism, racism, entertainment, etc can make it hard or steer in another direction.
Kutsu

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:30 am Reply with quote
Haterater wrote:
@ Chrysostomus

Many factors are involved for many fields, from parenting and society steering gender in one direction to possible hostile environments to work with(especially in tech fields). Income disparity, sexism, racism, entertainment, etc can make it hard or steer in another direction.

Social-cultural differences are the major factor, but research has shown that sex differences are also partly biological (see Connellan, J., Baron-Cohen, S., Wheelwright, S., Batki, A., & Ahluwalia, J. (2000) Sex differences in human neonatal social perception. Infant Behavior and Development).
manapear

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:48 am Reply with quote
I can see where he was going with what he was saying, especially for Japan's culture, but he generalized too hard. And he certainly ignored the many, creative and talented female directors that are there. (Sayo Yamamoto especially, goodness that woman~.)

Heh, good thing he isn't affiliated with Ghibli anymore. But many people will still hold it against Ghibli, and I'm sure plenty of people will hold it against Miyazaki. (Mostly anti- people, but still.)

Kutsu wrote:
Haterater wrote:
@ Chrysostomus

Social-cultural differences are the major factor, but research has shown that sex differences are also partly biological (see Connellan, J., Baron-Cohen, S., Wheelwright, S., Batki, A., & Ahluwalia, J. (2000) Sex differences in human neonatal social perception. Infant Behavior and Development).

Well, Haterater absolutely has a point, and while I can agree that a few things are biological, they tend to be lesser and don't impact things nearly as much as socio-cultural differences. For one thing, biology will never affect society intentionally holding back some peoples' opportunities.

Chrysostomus wrote:
Arale Kurashiki wrote:
It also falls into the common fallacy of "[x minority] isn't doing this, therefore they don't want to do it". i'm sure there are tons of women who would love to direct if given the chance, but almost every director right now is a man, so it's a lot harder to get into the industry. obviously.
Well, sometimes that's true though. I mean, women have absolutely nothing stopping them from playing chess. But how many chess grand masters are women? What if it's a simple fact that women aren't interested in playing chess the same way men are?

A lot of women do play chess, but chess is actually another openly sexist field. They have been pretty held back, and a lot of top people in the chess field are pretty about their sexism. So yeah, that goes to show that women do have interest in fields but again, get held back.

Once you start heaping more parts of one's identity on top, it doesn't help. (Like Haterater mentioned, class, race/ethnicity, etc.) This goes for many things, but especially fields where there's some sense of esteem and men heavily dominate. (Whether it's chess, directing/producing, or even science-based fields.)
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:56 am Reply with quote
A person is entitled to their own opinion, especially if it is based on personal experience or derived from work experience in a certain field. This is nothing astonishing, I heard similar opinions from many people, and I understand his position. There is nothing offensive here.

The true sexist people are the ones who believe females are entitled to be free from criticism. And those people are the ones who attack men.

Men and women are different, we're not the same, we are two separate genders and have exclusive attributes. There is nothing wrong with saying that women, for example, are not fit to work construction - just like I am not fit to work at Victoria's Secret. Stop making artificial drama.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:07 am Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:
There is nothing wrong with saying that women, for example, are not fit to work construction - just like I am not fit to work at Victoria's Secret. Stop making artificial drama.

Yeah, I mean, it's almost like the entire country came to a stand still when there were no men around to do all that there "men's work" when the country was at war. Oh wait.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:22 am Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:
There is nothing wrong with saying that women, for example, are not fit to work construction - just like I am not fit to work at Victoria's Secret. Stop making artificial drama.

You have not seen ALL women. Some women are actually very freaking strong. And who the heck do you think worked in the factories during World War II when the men were overseas? Where the heck do you think those promotional posters: (This one:[url] https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/12/We_Can_Do_It!.jpg[/url]) stemmed from? The women were working in the f'ing factories building ammunition for tanks. So LMAO of on the not being "fit to work construction", their efforts helped defeat HITLER..! xD

And heck, 85% of WOMEN aren't "fit" to work at Victoria's Secret. We're not their "ideal representative"
Kutsu

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:39 am Reply with quote
manapear wrote:

Well, Haterater absolutely has a point, and while I can agree that a few things are biological, they tend to be lesser and don't impact things nearly as much as socio-cultural differences. For one thing, biology will never affect society intentionally holding back some peoples' opportunities.

I agree about biology not affecting opportunities. However it can influence preferences. For example some studies have shown how prerenatal testosterone levels can later impact gender-related behaviour. The problem is when society tends to intensify such behaviours or even sometimes establish them as rules.

To take a simple example : women are more likely to be attracted to men and men are more likely to be attracted to women. Yet none of these preferences are inherently superior and they should not be taken as a rule or imposed as such (otherwise you get homophobia).

Last edited by Kutsu on Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Brutannica

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:43 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:

I honestly sort of took this as an insult to guys, saying that they are idealistic, and incapable of creating realistic works. But whatever.

I would have titled this article: Former Ghibli Producer: Men Too Idealistic to direct Realistic films.

Good point... except in the context, the interviewer was asking him about whether women would ever direct a Ghibli film.

Blackiris_ wrote:
The headline. *sigh*
Just like with all the Miyazaki quotes, let's make this a click-bait and let people discuss something without having enough context to properly judge what the guy said.

I gave the context. The original article did not mostly focus on this issue and I quoted the two relevant paragraphs verbatim.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:57 am Reply with quote
FloozyGod wrote:
Lol the one journalist countered his comment with the Female directors of Michiko to Hatchin and Oregairu. Those are both realistic shows, and that's what Ghibli producer said women were good at.

I was just think about that! I was like "Yeah, let's counter what the guy is saying by reinforcing his point...".
Bonham

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:40 pm Reply with quote
I'd be more sympathetic to people who make socially conservative arguments against "political correctness" if there was some nuance to it. But every single time an issue like this is brought up, it's the same users making the same arguments with the same buzzwords. And even in extreme and horrifying situations where such people normally concede a problem existing, there are still people saying the same shit.

It's the standard culture war nonsense that blocks any kind of discussion. So obnoxious.

Lady Multi wrote:
Ambimunch wrote:

You have not seen ALL women. Some women are actually very freaking strong. And who the heck do you think worked in the factories during World War II when the men were overseas?

And heck, 85% of WOMEN aren't "fit" to work at Victoria's Secret. We're not their "ideal representative"

I hope the guy knows that men do work at Victoria's Secret. If a woman is strong and responsible enough to work construction, and a guy is personable enough to work sales at Victoria's secret, let 'em! Women and men should be able to do whatever they want if they're capable.

I also wonder if Ambimunch and others like him in this thread think that black film actors were almost entirely terrible in American until the 1960s. I'd hope and think not, but taking their logic to its natural conclusion...
Chrysostomus

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Haterater wrote:
Only if you prove that there actually IS some horrible systemic sexism affecting the chess community. If there isn't and there is complete and total equal opportunity, then logically it means women don't care about chess, and have other interests. How controversial, no?

Kutsu wrote:
Social-cultural differences are the major factor, but research has shown that sex differences are also partly biological.
Saying that sex differences are partly biological is like saying that the difference between a 6 year old and a 90 year old are partly temporal.

Of course it is biological. Humanity is defined as a sexual diphormic mammal.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Lady Multi wrote:
And who the heck do you think worked in the factories during World War II when the men were overseas? The women were working in the f'ing factories building ammunition for tanks. So LMAO of on the not being "fit to work construction", their efforts helped defeat HITLER..! xD

1. And who the heck was fighting the war on the front lines? Men. Guess why? It's the more physically and socially demanding role. This is an extreme poor example.

2. You almost make it sound like the West won WW II. They joined the fight at the very end when the victor was decided, as they always do. The war was won by Europeans, mostly the Russians. Men were forced to go to war, boys at the age of 9 years were fighting too. Hundreds of millions were killed, that is why Russia and most ex-USSR countries to this day have more women than men in the general population.

Certain jobs are not suited for women, just like certain job are not suited for men - that's normal.

Bonham wrote:
I hope the guy knows that men do work at Victoria's Secret. If a woman is strong and responsible enough to work construction, and a guy is personable enough to work sales at Victoria's secret, let 'em! Women and men should be able to do whatever they want if they're capable.

I also wonder if Ambimunch and others like him in this thread think that black film actors were almost entirely terrible in American until the 1960s. I'd hope and think not, but taking their logic to its natural conclusion...

You missed the point. Being not suited for something does not indicate they're incapable. As for the topic at hand, which you are neglecting, the man made a comment on an opinion that he has right to have. Do not attack him.

[Edit]: removed snark. Errinundra.

Last edited by Ambimunch on Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lostlorn Forest

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:28 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
It's not like there's a systematic prejudice that keeps women away from positions of power, like, for example, the directors' chair. No, it's totally that having a vagina makes you incapable of doing that job.

It is prejudice. However, is it actually systematic or just cultural? I feel when people say "systematic" they have a complex they're forcing onto other people. It also sounds like you're demonizing him and coming to false conclusions - he's not working at Ghibli anymore. If he ever had the ability to accept or deny female directors, he doesn't now. It sounded more like his opinion on how the Japanese film industry functions.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9