• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Toonami to Air Black Clover Anime Starting December 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
By the way, just so that I'm clear, I'm not dissing anybody who watches Toonami. It just surprised me that people still cared about consuming anime in this particular fashion.

I know you weren't dissing anyone, so don't worry there. It's just good to have options when it comes to various media outlets.
Spawn29

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I'm not trying to be sarcastic here, but why would anybody in this thread care about Toonami? I'm assuming most of us watch titles that eventually show up there through the various streaming services. What's the appeal of watching anything on Toonami?

To be fair, not everyone uses streaming services because not everyone follows the newest anime on the Internet. I'm glad that Toonami will play some of the newer anime titles because I would not watch Kill la Kill if they didn't air it. I don't follow the newer anime titles that much because most of them don't appeal to me.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I'm not trying to be sarcastic here, but why would anybody in this thread care about Toonami? I'm assuming most of us watch titles that eventually show up there through the various streaming services. What's the appeal of watching anything on Toonami?

It's a rare communal experience for some of us. We watch it and comment on it in real time, as if we're watching with a group of people in person.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Thank you to those who took the time to answer my question, I appreciate it. Even though I don't use Toonami myself (and couldn't even if I wanted to because of being in Canada), one of the things I like about its existence is that it is a potential "net" to lure people into anime. I can imagine somebody flipping through the channels, stumbling across an anime show and going, "what the heck is this?" And another soul is brought over to the dark side...
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
belvadeer wrote:
Blood- wrote:
I'm not trying to be sarcastic here, but why would anybody in this thread care about Toonami? I'm assuming most of us watch titles that eventually show up there through the various streaming services. What's the appeal of watching anything on Toonami? I'm in Canada, so I don't get the service in any case. Aren't there commercials you have to sit through? I really don't get why anybody in 2017 would enjoy watching anime off "regular" TV.

Some of us like to spend our Saturday night watching an entire block dedicated to anime, and likely not everyone watches subs or wants to pay a subscription service to watch dubs either. You're like the second person I've noticed here that's asked this "Why Toonami?" question.

I think it's a valid question. Cable TV seems so 20th century. Anime fans tend to be younger (unlike me) and it kind of surprises me that a chunk of them still bother with this ancient method of watching stuff.

You make it sound like it’s some medieval thing. Sure I’m one of the few that very rarely watch an anime online, but I would not consider Toonami an inferior method to watching anime. I also love to Toonami live blog with my peeps on tumblr. It’s super fun and what I enjoy doing Saturday nights after a long week. Smile
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:59 am Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
well, it motivates me to watch shows I haven't seen before. I'm only watching JoJo, Lupin 3rd part 4, Hunter x Hunter and Dragon Ball Super, because they are on toonami. I had very little interest in watching them before they were added. yes, there are commercials in the middle, but I record them on the DVR and watch later

I've seen Gundam: IBO season 2 and once was enough for that travesty.
WeNTuS

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:41 am Reply with quote
It's hilarious how many people in this thread repeat reddit' echo chamber: "If i dislike this anime, no one else likes it!". Except, it's wrong. You can like many anime in the same time. Just because some anime are better (actually i think HxH 2011 > any other anime in the world) doesn't mean this one shouldn't have an attention too.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
"They're trying to make Black Clover the next Naruto"--a bunch of disappointed posters.

And yet Boruto, which is literally the sequel to Naruto, is not getting a Toonami run (yet).:lol

That's because "Naruto: Shippuden" isn't even halfway done.

Pierrot. wrote:
Spawn29 wrote:
I wish Toonami air more Seinen anime. They aired Parasyte, Michiko & Hatchin, Hellsing Ultimate, Black Lagoon and that's pretty much about it from what I can remember. The kids that watch Toonami back in the day are grown up now and it's on late night TV. I would like to see more adult theme anime on Toonami.

Huh? They aired Tokyo Ghoul a few months ago.

And "Hunter x Hunter" likes to pretend it's a Seinen.
Spawn29

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:

And "Hunter x Hunter" likes to pretend it's a Seinen.

HxH does not feel like Seinen at all. HxH feels like a series aim to a younger audience (Kids and Teens) than adults. Seinen anime is stuff aim to adults like Ghost in the Shell, Psycho Pass, Inuyashiki, Golgo 13, Royal Space Force: The Wings of Honneamise, Serial Experiments Lain, etc.

The series is still being publish in Weekly Shonen Jump in Japan. The reason why I thought Tokyo Ghoul was Shonen because of the angsty teenager vibe that I got from watching the show. Same goes with One Punch Man which most people have no idea that it's Seinen because it is publish in Shonen Jump in the US.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:44 pm Reply with quote
emory wrote:
Aura Ichadora wrote:
Huh. Well, it wasn't a move I was expecting, but I'm fine with this. Hopefully my husband and I will like it! Although it will take a couple of times of getting use to with the schedule, since he might be wondering "What happened to JoJo?" until he remembers that it's on 30 minutes later.

Jojo isn't changing times.
I know. We're used to JoJo coming on right after DBZ Kai. Starting the 2nd, it'll be on after Black Clover, so it will be a bit of a change we have to remember, even though the time will be the same. We're creatures of habit when it comes to TV schedules, since we don't have a DVR to record shows, so we get used to and memorize schedules for the things we do like. So I'm expecting on the 2nd for the hubby to ask me what happened to JoJo once Black Clover starts because it's not in our normal routine.

Although, honestly, remembering that Toonami is starting at 9:30pm Central versus 10pm is going to be the more frustrating thing to remember more so than Black Clover coming on before JoJo. Razz
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:19 pm Reply with quote
ultimatehaki wrote:
DatRandomDude wrote:
They sure are trying their goddamn best to make this the next Naruto.

With MHA going strong I don't even know why they pushing this so hard.

i'm more surprised that series haven't gotten a toonami release. i mean, boku no hero academia was basically meant to be for AS. same with black clover.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
KH91

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:45 pm Reply with quote
I can't wait to see the ratings for this.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7