• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Amazon Shuts Down Anime Strike Paid Streaming Service

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Puniyo wrote:
SejinPK wrote:
This is probably a pretty unpopular opinion, but I'm not terribly happy with this news. Yes, Amazon Strike had some big problems, and yes, now there's only one paywall. However, that remaining paywall is the ~$100/year Prime membership that you have to pay for all at once, rather than the ~$60/year Anime Strike fee that you pay monthly, and can cancel and renew for particular seasons if you want (meaning it could be less than ~$60/year).

Huh? I pay for my prime monthly (about £8 a month), but I buy art supplies and stuff so I use prime delivery a lot too so it works out for me. First the Anime Strike paywall now only yearly payment option? What's up with the US Prime? Laughing

No it was previously yearly only, but they introduced a monthly payment option last year. The poster was just unaware of the option is all.
phia_one

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Not surprising when taking into account the amount of problems. I only got it to watch Made in the Abyss and Princess Principle. I never used any of the manga codes either.
Sachiko2010

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:04 pm Reply with quote
I realize I'm definitely in the minority, but I had begun to like the service. It needed work for sure, like the subtitles which were not very easy to read unless you used the grey shadow box around them, and at times the episodes were delayed, but I was hopeful that over time they could work out the glitches and the service would become more polished. I also really liked the fact that I had a central location, the Anime Strike channel, to go to on my PS4. Having a central hub was nice. And the monthly subscription price was manageable enough, though of course you needed a Prime membership.

I hope this doesn't mean that Amazon is getting out of the business of licensing and backing new anime content. It was nice to have another player out there with deep pockets that was supporting the model of streaming as the episodes were aired in Japan. I am really frustrated with the Netflix model of making everything conform to their "binge" marketing scheme, so having a major company like Amazon enter the scene and still cater to the viewing habits of the fans was nice.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Sachiko2010 wrote:
It needed work for sure, like the subtitles which were not very easy to read unless you used the grey shadow box around them[...]

If you go to Subtitle Preferences under Video Settings, edit one of the options, and then click on More Options, you'll see Edge effects among the additional choices. The last two of those options, the one that drops a shadow or the one that gives the subtitles a black border, will make the subtitles readable without the box. Granted, the other streaming sites with anime just do that automatically, so perhaps the level of subtitle customization that Amazon offers is not really desirable for most customers.
Sachiko2010

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:21 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
The last two of those options, the one that drops a shadow or the one that gives the subtitles a black border, will make the subtitles readable without the box.

Oh, I wasn't aware of the one that put a black border around each letter. I was just using the grey background. Good to know.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:24 pm Reply with quote
FlareKnight wrote:
Good! The double paywall thing was always stupid. I don't mind paying for Amazon Prime in general, there are nice benefits. But I'm not going pay for that and then pay extra to watch anime on there. A line has to be drawn with how much money a person can spread out to streaming services a month. They went too far and glad (though it took a year) they figured out that yeah people won't pay for that nonsense.

Yeah them already having Prime as a service made it really stick out. I get plenty out of my Prime benefits but it's also not like it's cheap so it felt conflicting having to pay even more extra for just only anime when most of the content they pick up, make themselves, or license for subscribers, other than the recent additions of full channels owned by other companies, are often part of Prime. Plus another factor; wasn't their first anime pickup, like Kabaneri, part of regular Prime before they started Strike?
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:31 pm Reply with quote
DangerMouse wrote:
Plus another factor; wasn't their first anime pickup, like Kabaneri, part of regular Prime before they started Strike?

Yes, it was on regular Prime before they started Strike, as well as Battery.
KH91

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Good. Double paywall was not a wise decision.
Rinedex

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Nice timing on this. Just as the new season starts with a decent handful of shows I'm interested in, I suddenly have access to a separate batch of stuff I've been excited for for weeks (Land of the Lustrous), months (Made in Abyss) or years (The Great Passage). Good thing it's cold enough to justify staying in all weekend and plowing through swaths of it.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:27 pm Reply with quote
kajunbowser wrote:
That said, I hope most of the series there haven't disappeared, and I think Anime Strike could've stayed as a free channel. This just makes it harder to find the series I was planning to watch on Amazon Video.

When I searched Amazon for "anime" I saw that "anime strike" still exists as an identifiable set of programs. The only one I found no longer available is Nodame Cantabile. After you search, you'll see options across the top of the screen, one of which is for Strike.
GhostStalkerSA

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Peebs wrote:
So far the year of the dog is turning to be good, five days in. Laughing

See what I did there? Wink

It's still the Year of the Rooster until Lunar New Year on Feburary 16.
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:10 am Reply with quote
Nice, now I can watch them because I wasn't going to pay extra when I was already paying so much for Prime.

I've actually not used my Prime video that much because when I've looked there wasn't much to care about enough to watch. Def not gonna pay more to get "more" when they're offering so little free to prime.
toyNN

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:39 pm Reply with quote
kajunbowser wrote:
That said, I hope most of the series there haven't disappeared, and I think Anime Strike could've stayed as a free channel. This just makes it harder to find the series I was planning to watch on Amazon Video.
Amazon definitely isn't making is very easy to find the anime shows. They have an Animation section but it doesn't seem to list all of the shows and the ordering seems random. Wish they just had an "Anime" section and/or sorting based on date added so the new simulcast shows would be grouped first.
jrockfreak

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:39 pm Reply with quote
i dont use prime and i didn't use strike but from the other comments doesnt seem like people liked it to much
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Sweet, saves me some money, I ain't complaining. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8