• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Spring 2020 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
saihamaru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:18 am Reply with quote
princess connect re:dive is a nice surprise
i didn't play the game, so most of my knowledge about this title came from certain thin books and other second hand info

this 1st episode is pretty nice to watch
had a few giggles along the way
the protagonist regressed to almost baby-like mentality was pretty funny, and now i understand why they keep calling kokkoro as mommy
the battle animation is also smooth with some flashy colorful effect

aside from the questionable and concerning plot of making a very young elf girl serve an unknown man with her whole body and soul just because a goddess' oracle told them to that is

overall not bad, unlike some other mobage adaptations this season
3.5/5
tfwnoymir

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:09 am Reply with quote
The second episode for Idolish7 S2 is already out and it keeps being good as always. Everything went so well until the latter third of the episode when reality kicked in: spoiler[Riku's health is just not set up for long hauls of dancing and singing after all.]

Priconne is not fantastic, but it's good enough, so I'll keep watching. The MC acts like a literal baby though, he's so amnesiac he can't even form coherent sentences and tries to eat gold coins, this'll be long enough for me getting used to. Pecorine is cute though, she's being voiced by MAO and she's doing her Papika voice so I'm on board for that. And the animation is so bouncy, something I approve of, but it's the Konosuba director, so it's expected.

It's a great sin no one is licensing Mewkledreamy though, I keep hearing the good word about it - Hiroaki Sakurai is the director, he's the one who did The Demon Girl Next Door, Cromartie and others - but companies don't tend to be kind for shows mainly targeting little girls, as we're seeing with stuff even as popular in Japan as Precure or Aikatsu: they're either pretending they don't exist or butchering them horribly a la Glitter Force. It sucks.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:00 am Reply with quote
harminia wrote:

hahahaha get ready to memorise names my friend

Nooooo, I'm so bad at that!!

tfwnoymir wrote:
Everything went so well until the latter third of the episode when reality kicked in: spoiler[Riku's health is just not set up for long hauls of dancing and singing after all.]

That's part of what I like about this series - nothing is too easy for them, and the problems don't feel as manufactured as in some other similar series.

Also, I agree that it's a shame we don't get the little girl-specific shows - not only do I actually like so-called kiddy shows (I mean, it's part of my other job, but still), but it feels odd to me that we'll get something boy-specific or gender neutral and never the unadulterated "girly" stuff, especially when the chapter book industry keeps churning out things like Itty Bitty Princess Kitty and Purrmaids. There's clearly a market for it that doesn't have to be Glitter Force-d.

(What do you mean I appear to have a thing for cat-themed chapter book series? I have no idea what you're talking about...)
tfwnoymir

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:41 am Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:

tfwnoymir wrote:
Everything went so well until the latter third of the episode when reality kicked in: spoiler[Riku's health is just not set up for long hauls of dancing and singing after all.]

That's part of what I like about this series - nothing is too easy for them, and the problems don't feel as manufactured as in some other similar series.

Also, I agree that it's a shame we don't get the little girl-specific shows - not only do I actually like so-called kiddy shows (I mean, it's part of my other job, but still), but it feels odd to me that we'll get something boy-specific or gender neutral and never the unadulterated "girly" stuff, especially when the chapter book industry keeps churning out things like Itty Bitty Princess Kitty and Purrmaids. There's clearly a market for it that doesn't have to be Glitter Force-d.

(What do you mean I appear to have a thing for cat-themed chapter book series? I have no idea what you're talking about...)

Yeah, I7 is definitely special. It's not the only idol-centric anime that shows the dark side of the industry, but not all of them go into such details. Also it helps that the cast is relatively small compared to other idol-centric shows so it has more time to expand on its cast instead of them being cookie-cutter stereotypes (not that that is wrong as long as it's well executed, I have a special place in my heart for the Idolmaster franchise despite its faults). And a smaller cast can be even be detrimental if what's happening with them is not interesting, because it feels like the world is empty despite insisting otherwise, see Love Live SIF for example (Sunshine got better at that, at least in the first season). And I7 definitely doesn't feel empty despite that: there are still many mysteries, many more stories to tell. Especially interested about what's Yamato's deal, because he's definitely hiding something.

As for the other thing... pretty much what I've wanted to tell. Boy-specific shows like Yu Gi Oh almost always get grabbed by someone, usually CR, while "girly stuffs" get ignored. I don't want to turn it into a competition, I have nothing against those series, it's just shows there's definitely something going through within the heads of the licensors when they're making those deals. And they're not even doing the courtesy of explaining why, so we can only speculate. I know there's law and other stuffs tying their hands, but it's still frustrating.
meiam

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:39 am Reply with quote
Breakwater was... meh. I think laid back camp just broke me on CGDCT show and I now expect a higher level of quality while this was just ready to deliver bare bone quality. I don't really get why they wanted the main character to be forced to join the club (with, of course, a tentacle rape scene), sure she'll eventually enjoy it, but she'd have enjoyed the crafting club more anyway, so it just feel mean for no reason. What's wrong with having a character who genuinely like the activity they do?
pikrodafni

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:50 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Breakwater was... meh. I think laid back camp just broke me on CGDCT show and I now expect a higher level of quality while this was just ready to deliver bare bone quality. I don't really get why they wanted the main character to be forced to join the club (with, of course, a tentacle rape scene), sure she'll eventually enjoy it, but she'd have enjoyed the crafting club more anyway, so it just feel mean for no reason. What's wrong with having a character who genuinely like the activity they do?

Because sometimes it's a good idea to try out new stuff and get out of your comfort zone?
Rokk3000

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:47 pm Reply with quote
I agree with James Beckett's review of Princess Connect, except the comedy with the wolves routine started even sooner, when the summoned "hero" was still asleep, and gets dragged off before his guide can get to him. Then later in town, she doesn't have enough money for a room? What kind of cyborg/mecha goddess undergoing repair doesn't give her substitute enough money and equipment so she can do her job properly?!

And amnesia is one thing, but trying to bite a coin? Really? Did his brains get a little scrambled too?

Cheap laughs, but laughs. As long as they throw in a bit of story along the way, I'll be entertained.
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:18 pm Reply with quote
The entire second season of Jashin-chan dropped all at once for some reason. Not that I'm complaining though, as I watched the first 3 eps and had a great time =)

Key wrote:
I'm going to do something a bit unusual and back up the preview I filed for one series with a specific recommendation in-thread, as I think it could be a big blind spot for the season.

If you were planning to skip Princes Connect! Re: Dive, check it out anyway. It may surprise you with how entertaining it is.

I was, but based on the previews and this I'll probably be checking it out now =)
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Sachibato: I can deal with game adaptations. I can deal with aggressively gamey anime. But this is just so... dull. Bland. Boring. Literally nothing happens that isn't part of a GameFAQs walkthrough, there's no real impeding drama, no atmosphere, no comedy, no characterization beyond the most basic personality cliches. Unless "the childhood friends like each other but keep it to themselves" counts as compelling drama. The only somewhat outstanding parts for me were that they're (mostly) adults even if they don't look the part and they're a company... but honestly many "guilds" and "parties" operate in exactly the same way - actually they work much like Last Period, which actually I'd rather rewatch over this.
There's one thing did surprise me though: for some reason I thought it was a dungeon crawler in a proper platform instead of a mobage despite all evidence to the contrary... so there goes my will to play it too.

Arte: the premise and characters might not be much to write about (yet) but I really loved the atmosphere in this one. And the comedy bits, while subdued, worked for me.

Yesterday wo Utatte: this was lovely in a very brooding way. I'm intrigues about the characters, how they have decided to live their unsatisfactory lives and how they will play out. But I'm here mostly because of the cute crippled crow. Please don't let anything bad happen to Kensuke. Kensuke deserves love.
TD912

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:59 am Reply with quote
Interesting nobody decided to review Dropkick on My Devil this season. Guess it's not popular enough of a show and it's a second season?
tfwnoymir

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:25 am Reply with quote
I knew Breakwater is going to be my thing, since I'm already reading the manga and I'm into slice-of-life stuff generally. Sadly it's not the Doga Kobo adaptation that is treated kindly with the sakuga overlords - Yesterday is there for that -, but it's still fun. Some watchers will be uncomfortable with the teacher when she's finally going to appear, just saying in advance.

And finally got around watching Mewkledreamy and it's truly fantastic, one of the best premieres so far. With a staff that understands that a children's anime doesn't have to be only a blatant commercial, it can have great writing as well. No official subs sadly and unless the situation changes, it's probably never going to happen Sad

So far only Kaguya-sama remains for me, unless that one gets delayed as well, which is the reality we're living in. But rather that than the staff's getting sick.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:42 am Reply with quote
The ratings widget for the Preview Guide review of Fruits Basket is not synced with the one on Jacob's review, and there are two entries for the episode on the Your Score page. While I'm on the subject, does the fact that new episodes are already listed there, before the Daily Streaming series have been chosen, mean that all series will get a slot on the Your Score page, unlike last season where only weekly review series got listed?

I thought Fruits Basket got off to a decent start. Best gag was the iron - most effective stopper to a fight without being aggressive I've ever seen. Smile

Play Misty Sing "Yesterday" for Me got my attention with the art style and animation, but storywise, I'm leery. I could easily identify with Rikuo's malaise, but he's far more tolerant of his teen stalker girl than I would be, and depending on where and how they go with it, that could be a dealbreaker for me.

I wasn't expecting to enjoy Arte, but I actually did, a lot. She's just the right amount of genki I think, although I sure wish I knew how she managed to cut off her braid and end up with a haircut that's longer in the back than the front.

Same deal with Villainess. Liked it ever so much more than I thought going in. The main question is how long I can stand her hysterical outbursts, which seem right now to be about a 5 on the Asta scale (10 is peak Asta, Minare from Wave is a 7).

And of course Bookworm was as delightful as I knew it would be.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:08 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
The ratings widget for the Preview Guide review of Fruits Basket is not synced with the one on Jacob's review, and there are two entries for the episode on the Your Score page. While I'm on the subject, does the fact that new episodes are already listed there, before the Daily Streaming series have been chosen, mean that all series will get a slot on the Your Score page, unlike last season where only weekly review series got listed?

I noticed that myself and am looking into it today - as for your second question, I'll check with our web dev team to see if there's a way to automate that. It would be great to have people voting on every show.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:07 pm Reply with quote
I can forgive some of the seemingly "mean" motives of the club prez in Diary of Our Days at the Breakwater because I think it can be argued she sees that our Moeblob wants to expand her world and her obvious curiosity will make it possible to fit in with the new group and overcome her fear of gross stuff.
But what I don't quite like is the dismissal of her existing interests. The thought of her pleasant fantasy of joining and enjoying a handcrafting club being tossed aside does seems a little mean. It hurts a show's narrative but hey, she obviously loves crafting, why does learning a new interest seemingly preclude enjoying her previous interest?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
as for your second question, I'll check with our web dev team to see if there's a way to automate that. It would be great to have people voting on every show.

It used to be that way up until last season. I got the impression it required too much curation since episodes that didn't exist kept showing up after a series ended (and getting ratings!), and delayed episodes in several series sort of threw a system that looked automated to me out of whack. I asked in the thread for Your Score, but never got an answer, so I figured no one was monitoring that either.

Given the current state of the world, I expect this season to suffer from even more delays and scheduling oddities, and it might not be worth the effort. But in that case, could we then get the charts of the reviewed series back? Considering what I just said, that could be a major headache too. Smile

______
Just watched Idolish7 2's first two episodes. It was fine. Kenjiro Tsuda seemed to have a great time chewing up the scenery. Very Happy One thing all these idol shows have in common that bugs me is the lack of actual harmonies. They either trade off soloing the melody line, or all sing it together, but only rarely produce any real harmonies, as if not singing the melody is somehow an insult to that character that will offend his fans. Such a waste.

Also sad, but not surprised, that Kingdom 3 doesn't have anyone to watch and review it. First episode looked pretty good, animation wise and I'm happy to have it back. Things aren't looking so good for the Kingdom of Qin, though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10