• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Undead Unluck

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emerje

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:36 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
The title for the next episode, Undead + Unluck, comes directly from manga chapter 37. Things get veeery meta for a little while and I dread that there's a ton of flashback potential next episode. Please don't ruin this!

I'm SO glad they managed to avoid flashbacks. My fear was that as they wrote more of Undead + Unluck they would do flashbacks to the previous episodes to show what they were working on. Very happy they avoided that! This episode turned out far better than I expected it to and it also went further than I thought it would, all the way up to setting up the meeting with Anno Un (spoiler[he's the guy that ranked 3 in the popularity ranking I mentioned in my previous post]). The guy really got screwed by God, but obviously still found a way to make it work. This is a very important arc and a favorite of a lot of people, I'm glad they seem to be doing these final episodes of the season justice.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Somehow seeing it get animated made this story feel even more meta. And also feels like a big moment for Fuko and really a culmination of her relationship with Andy.

What If Kimi ni Todoke fused with that Iruma-kun Shojo manga?

Shojo manga will save the world! Especially when all the female members of the Union just so happened to already be reading it and are happy to promote it. Like, I can't think Juiz was aware of all the similarities in what they were experiencing had she not already been reading it herself. And they manage to sell it to Top.

Juiz in manga making mode has got me feeling something.

I noticed some Isshin clues that I'm not sure were present in the manga.

Of course Andy knew Tezuka and dabbled in making manga. And of course he thinks that's what mangaka generally wear nowadays.

I always liked Shueisha girl.

I only just realized who had really been doing the next episode previews all along.
OpenYourEels4TheNextFeels

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Fun Fact: “Undead + Unluck” is the name of the original one-shot by Yoshifumi Tozuka that would serve as the basis for Undead Unluck proper. Notable differences include:
  • Fuuko and Andy never being given actual names, and instead being referred to solely as their negator abilities.
  • The card stuck in Undead's head also functioning as an ATM card.
  • The Scarred man who captures Unluck describing the organization he works as one comprised of negators that want to "get revenge on the world" (which implies his organization is closer to Under than the Union).
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:04 am Reply with quote
Woo-hoo, rare anime Canada reference! Stanley Park - I've been there. Lovely place. And count me among the millions of viewers thankful we weren't "treated" to another insane flashback-fest. That was friggin' ridiculous.
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:09 am Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
Somehow seeing it get animated made this story feel even more meta. And also feels like a big moment for Fuko and really a culmination of her relationship with Andy.

I don't know, somehow reading a manga where they're writing the manga you're reading and then visiting the actual publisher of the manga you're reading feels way more meta to me. But you are right, not only is this the first mission that Fuko has lead, but she also had to convey her love for Andy in the manga knowing everyone in Union would likely read it.

Quote:
I only just realized who had really been doing the next episode previews all along.

I'm still not sure. It seemed like it was Juiz all along, the way the preview narrator is speaking is rather feminine. Episode 18 sounded more masculine so I thought it was Anno Un doing the narrating, but then I just checked back and they yell "Unjustice!" at the end so it still seems to be Juiz, just out of character.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zfunk

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:09 am Reply with quote
So is this manga author voiced by the same person that voices the narrator. When the show started and we had a female narrator, I assume Juiz voice actress was going to be the narrator, than maybe Latla since she is a fortune teller, but Anno Un that would make sense as well.
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:10 am Reply with quote
zfunk wrote:
So is this manga author voiced by the same person that voices the narrator. When the show started and we had a female narrator, I assume Juiz voice actress was going to be the narrator, than maybe Latla since she is a fortune teller, but Anno Un that would make sense as well.

See my post above, we posted at the exact same time.

Emerje
zfunk

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:15 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
zfunk wrote:

See my post above, we posted at the exact same time.

Emerje

Okay we think the same. I think Juiz is the ideal character to be the narration. But looking at the Undead Unlock cast list page, and Juiz and the and the narrator are different actresses.
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:17 pm Reply with quote
zfunk wrote:
Okay we think the same. I think Juiz is the ideal character to be the narration. But looking at the Undead Unlock cast list page, and Juiz and the and the narrator are different actresses.

Yeah, I just watched episode 10 of the dub and they definitely have different actors. It really does make the most sense for Anno Un to be the narrator. I guess there is one more character on the side of humanity that could be narrating, though I can't picture them being as fired up as they were during the preview at the end of 18. We'll know Friday.

Emerje
Emerje

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 11:03 am Reply with quote
Keep in mind that that wasn't a flash forward at the beginning, but the possible future that they need to train to avoid. And man did it make spoiler[Unseen] look terrifying!

Next week it's the Wild West! Andy's origin story is finally here!!

Emerje

Last edited by Emerje on Sun Feb 25, 2024 2:15 am; edited 1 time in total
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 11:29 pm Reply with quote
I might be totally mishearing it but I think Anno Un has been doing the recaps while Juiz did the next episode previews.

But either way, they handled their debut spectacularly, and all the meta aspect as well, as well as Autumn and how horrifying it's power is. The flash-forward was also very effective.

Were all those sketches, design concepts, and storyboards from Tozuka or the anime studio? They look too legit not to be.

Really excited for the Andy origin arc.
Emerje

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 2:13 am Reply with quote
Just going to point out that Anno Un is male and identifies as such, but the androgenous appearance is intentional because it has to do with his Negator ability (which isn't drawing, that's the G-Liner). Unfortunately we've only got 4 episodes left and I have my doubts about the Autumn mission ending this season. Maybe they can do the Andy arc in two episodes and complete Autumn in two, but that sounds very ambitious for a studio that depends so much on flashbacks.

Emerje
Emerje

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
This is hardly a deal-breaker for me, and I wouldn't be surprised if the show addressed my questions directly before too long, but my inability to properly contextualize the ramifications for Fuko and Andy's Excellent Adventure was a teensy bit distracting, all the same.

Remember, this isn't about influencing his past but his present. As roundabout as this feels, the whole goal of this is as a training session to make them both stronger and building on their bond. This wont change who he was but letting her participated in a turning point in his past will do more than words ever could. But this was mainly for Fuko's benefit, next week is Andy's training!

Emerje
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 11:30 pm Reply with quote
This episode had the shortest recap and minimal flashbacks and was one of the strongest and best paced episodes. Coincidence?

I remember how memorable Andy's wild west crew and their fate was. Josh deserved more screentime.

I would totally love more time spent on Fuko and Andy's wild west adventures and Fuko growing into a gunslinger. They even fought masked samurai in suits!

The moment Fuko was able to bring out Andy's smile and realizing she was in love with him was perfect. Especially ending on the chronological first "Sick. Wicked sick."
redaga

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 1:47 pm Reply with quote
>She's not playing a minor or easily excusable role in history, either! Fuko joins up with Andy and helps run his crew for months, if not longer.

It was spoiler[10 years]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8