• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: American Anime Fan Disappears in Japan

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:18 am Reply with quote
Yeah, come on guys, let's keep this civil. I don't see how we can have 20 pages of fansub debates that are kept relatively civil, yet an article like this somehow degrades to this degree.

Opinions are opinions people, you may disagree but we should keep that at a civil level. In fact, if I recall, the rules specifically say as much. I've already had to babysit this thread plenty and I would hate to have to do so more or even lock it, so let's try to keep that from happening.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:18 am Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:

Wow, you act as if I give a rats ass what you or anyone else thinks Zac. And the whole "I think I'm some badass" or " I think I'm awesome and am impressed" parts just make me laugh. As do your petty insults in the guise of witty retorts. And if all you can do is simply throw petty insults out then I see you're a one trick pony. Seriously, I would think you'd at least have one actual decent sentence in that post of yours beyond petty insults and self righteous tirades. I don't care if anyone agrees with me. I don't care if anyone thinks I'm being mean or cold. You can make all the silly little mean spirited assumptions you want about me Zac, and make all the petty insults you like and lower yourself in the process. The simple fact is suicide is a coward's way out IMO and I refuse to pretend to be full of sympathy for some girl who seemingly (I say seemingly since despite how you and everyone else is talking no one knows if she is dead or not but many of you seem to be jumping the gun on that one anyway) has thrown her life away for nothing simply because it's the nice thing to do. Sorry, I would love to fall into that nice "woe is her" line of thinking but unfortunately I don't feel that way. She's not just pointlessly throwing her life away, she's also helping to ruin the lives of her family and friends without a second thought it seems.

I wasn't talking about you, I was talking about the countless posts we've had to delete that were obvious "look at me I'm peeing on this grave aren't I edgy" BS that has plagued this thread.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:19 am Reply with quote
Then I apologize for making a rash assumption Zac. Since your post followed mine I assumed it was directed at me. I'm sorry for jumping to conclusions. I see I have yet to rid myself of that bad habit entirely.

fighterholic wrote:
Also, I think you're being unfair when you're trying to say that we're all worried because she's a white girl.

I didn't say everyone felt that way. But I will stand by the belief this is a bigger issue because of that fact. If you want to say I'm wrong just look in the media and tell me how many cases we see of a simple, well loved, and kind girl that is missing. Don't forget to mention how many are white and how many aren't in those cases.
CorneredAngel

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:56 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
The reason why this has come up on ANN is probably because ANN received a tip about this, it involves a girl who has gone to Japan, and it was a known fact that she was in an anime club.

No, this was not written based on any tips or outside requests.

ANN may be known for industry reporting. But I still like to think of anime fans, everywhere, as a community, and of this website as the voice of, for, and about the anime community. This was an item that, however unfortunate, involves one member of our community, and would be of interest to others.

End of story.

- Mikhail Kouilkov
Assistant News Editor
Anime News Network
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:04 am Reply with quote
CorneredAngel wrote:
fighterholic wrote:
The reason why this has come up on ANN is probably because ANN received a tip about this, it involves a girl who has gone to Japan, and it was a known fact that she was in an anime club.

No, this was not written based on any tips or outside requests.

ANN may be known for industry reporting. But I still like to think of anime fans, everywhere, as a community, and of this website as the voice of, for, and about the anime community. This was an item that, however unfortunate, involves one member of our community, and would be of interest to others.

End of story.

- Mikhail Kouilkov
Assistant News Editor
Anime News Network

Even if it wasn't based on a tip, part of what you quoted does give somewhat of a hint that she IS/WAS part of the anime community. And where did I say that you guys posted this based on a request? However, I do appreciate the fact that ANN is trying to help out here, and I'm sure that through this article other people will want to help out as much as possible.
Animated_Lady

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:03 am Reply with quote
Poor girl. Sad I sincerely wish Skye's family the best of luck in finding her alive and well.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:17 am Reply with quote
Wow, ANN has channeled the warmth and compassion of 4chan so well in this thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:18 am Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
fighterholic wrote:
Also, I think you're being unfair when you're trying to say that we're all worried because she's a white girl.

I didn't say everyone felt that way. But I will stand by the belief this is a bigger issue because of that fact. If you want to say I'm wrong just look in the media and tell me how many cases we see of a simple, well loved, and kind girl that is missing. Don't forget to mention how many are white and how many aren't in those cases.

If you have issues with that then fine. But don't you think it's a little insensitive to go on ranting about this "bigger issue" here though? Couldn't you just ignore this thread? There are plenty of other threads on ANN. Go post in one of them. Why is it that you've got to come in here and make a big stink and act as if we're all wrong for feeling sorry for her and her family or something? Nobody is forcing you to feel bad or give her any apparently undue attention.
HayateTokidoki

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:59 am Reply with quote
While I do sympathize with her family and friends (sucks to lose a loved one regardless of the circumstances), I simply can't feel bad for people that get to this point. If someone who lives a relatively normal life makes themselves so miserable that they want to kill themselves it's stupid, not sad. This nonsense of pitying these pathetic people that just make themselves miserable all the time is ridiculous to me. This person obviously has a family that cares, wasn't in a horrible financial situation, and any problems with her schooling seem to be a result of her being lazy (sleeping through classes). Like I said, it sucks for her family and friends, but I don't have an ounce of pity for her.
Lothar

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:20 am Reply with quote
Modern psychology's revelations of depression as an illness throw your reliance on the narrative of individual responsibility and your indictment of this person's worthiness into question, HayateTokidoki.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:38 am Reply with quote
Wow, this is sad.

And of course while I'm reading this the first thing that comes to mind i 'Paranoia Agent' and 'Welcome to the N.H.K.

I hope that they do find her.
Jadress

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:47 am Reply with quote
Wow, people are cold. You know, you don't have to personally feel bad or sympathetic for every person who's in a dire situation, but I don't see the point of announcing how you DON'T feel bad. Is this just to be contrary or grow your internet wee-wee bigger, because I really don't see the point of making yourself sound like a jerk.

Also I find it terribly sad that this is 2008 and people still have such poor attitudes about mental illness. Seriously? I mean, mental illness is very widespread- a lot of you saying that you don't care at all and it's stupid and someone's own fault if they commit suicide- you do realize that someone in your life probably HAS contemplated or attempted suicide at some point in their lives? Would you still so callously write them off as weak and cowardly and not offer any help to them if they were someone you loved? Or is it just convenient to write off a suicide as a coward who couldn't deal with life if it's someone you don't know? Again, I'm not saying you have to cry your eyes out for every bad story you read about in the news, but purposely saying negative things is just... being an ass.

Sorry if this is too off topic. On topic, I hope that Skye is still out there somewhere and that she's found soon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
daxomni

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:11 am Reply with quote
Jadress wrote:
Wow, people are cold. You know, you don't have to personally feel bad or sympathetic for every person who's in a dire situation, but I don't see the point of announcing how you DON'T feel bad. Is this just to be contrary or grow your internet wee-wee bigger, because I really don't see the point of making yourself sound like a jerk.

I could not possibly agree more. It almost seems like people are going out of their way to appear as callous and uncaring as possible. I feel bad for people who get suicidal thoughts because I know from experience that it's a terrible state to be in. I feel bad for the family and for the girl. I can understand saying you don't care about someone who had done something horrible, but what has this girl done to any of us? Where does all this vocal animosity toward her come from?
TJ_Kat

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:38 am Reply with quote
Lothar wrote:
Modern psychology's revelations of depression as an illness throw your reliance on the narrative of individual responsibility and your indictment of this person's worthiness into question, HayateTokidoki.

+1

to everyone who doesn't feel sorry for her because suicide is 'a cowards's way out, she's weak, she's selfish, etc', you obviously have very little understanding of depression and what it can do to you. I understand where you're coming from because I used to think the same way, but then I went through my own problems with depression and it gave me a whole new perspective on the subject. For that reason, she has my sympathy, and I hope she can find a reason to keep going until she can get help, but it's looking like it's too late for that.

Also, would it be possible to have the posted article reworked a little? Up until half way through the second paragraph I was waiting for some kind of punchline to show up. I'm sure I'm not the only one who found the story almost comical until the mention of the suicide note.
Tomibiki

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:41 am Reply with quote
man I didn't even say anything negative, I just spoke the truth! Chances are, as a white chick all alone in Japan, this chick got raped and murdered! Has anyone seen what they do to their own women in Japan? Now imagine that x10, that's how weird it is for white chicks over there. I think it's a very valid point!

Or she coulda killed herself, same difference.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10