• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
contagion888

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:36 am Reply with quote
Baki The Grappler- I am on episode 2 but so far it is just fighting, fighting and more fighting... and I am ok with that.

Bakuman: First Issue- All I have to say is that I am really digging the dub.

Gad Guard- I caught a few episodes on Anime Unleashed years ago, and I decided to finally watch all of it. On episode 8 and I am enjoying it.

Shin Chan Season 2
- Does anyone ever have to explain why this show is awesome?

s-Cry-ed - Marathoned it while I was studying for finals and I love this show as much as I did when I was 15.

Blue Gender - Also a studying marathon... Blood, gore, guns, giant bugs, humanity gone to heck, and I love every second of it except the movie.

As for new stuff
I plan on using xmas break to catch up on Persona 4 and check out Guilty Crown and Gundam AGE.
Tris8

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Watched Junkers Come Here last night because I've been hearing about it off and on for awhile now. It didn't live up to my expectations; It was pretty slow in the middle and only narrowly avoided being flat-out boring. But the ending... the ending made up for most of its shortcomings. Anime cry Very bittersweet and excellently executed.
Now I've decided to watch Air. It doesn't seem like my normal cup of tea but the ratings on ANN are superb and it's a short show so not much to lose.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:10 pm Reply with quote
I'm watching Darker than Black: Gemini of the Meteor on the blu-ray edition. When I got it I decided to watch the first season over again because I forgot most of the story.

This is remarkably better than I remembered, although brutal in the sense they keep killing interesting characters right and left.

The new season is excellent -- they came up with a compelling new character in Suou Pavlichenko. You really want to follow her and find out where she ends up. The reprise of Misaki Kirihara is a bit in the background, but also very good.
An1fr3ak

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:53 am Reply with quote
Tris8 wrote:
Now I've decided to watch Air. It doesn't seem like my normal cup of tea but the ratings on ANN are superb and it's a short show so not much to lose.

I watched it a while ago, but I thought it was a pretty good anime. It has some interesting events to say the least. (Don't want to spoil anything Razz)

On another note, I finished watching Sola. Whatever I was expecting from the anime, it wasn't what actually transpired :/...
Seriously, how does the spoiler[main character turn out to be nothing but an illusion or phantom or non-existing existence??] Contradictory paradox much?? :/
And then the whole spoiler['we all need to die to correct past transgressions'] crap. WOW. Here I was expecting a nice love story with a huge twist and instead I get a huge twist with a love story (sort of) :/...
Although, it kept me interested, just because I wanted to know how it would end... At least it was interesting all the way through (I sort of gave myself big expectations based on the first three or four episodes)...

So I have now moved on to Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru. So far, so good. Crazy characters in a crazy setting acting crazy. What more could you want?? On a side note, that OP is really catchy. Acquired the MP3 straight away and proceeded to press play and repeat Razz
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:33 pm Reply with quote
An1fr3ak wrote:
On another note, I finished watching Sola. Whatever I was expecting from the anime, it wasn't what actually transpired :/...
Seriously, how does the spoiler[main character turn out to be nothing but an illusion or phantom or non-existing existence??] Contradictory paradox much?? :/

spoiler[A golem made of paper instilled with the memories of the deceased. Or, more accurately, the personality. Aono is like a paper master from R.O.D., but after she makes things, she can have them take on the actual properties of the object they resemble.]
Quote:
And then the whole spoiler['we all need to die to correct past transgressions'] crap. WOW. Here I was expecting a nice love story with a huge twist and instead I get a huge twist with a love story (sort of) :/...

I took the ending to imply spoiler[Yorito needed to "die" so that Aono could come to terms with his death and move on with her life, and that Matsuri gave up her life so that Aono could be fully human again, as it was kind of Matsuri's fault that Aono was originally deprived of a normal life, as even before turning Aono, the latter being offered as a sacrifice forced her into isolation.]
Tris8

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:43 pm Reply with quote
An1fr3ak wrote:
Tris8 wrote:
I watched it a while ago, but I thought it was a pretty good anime. It has some interesting events to say the least. (Don't want to spoil anything Razz)
Unfortunately I've only gotten to ep 5, but so far it's pretty good. A little slow tho. Hardly anything has happened in the past 5 eps but it's still completely holding my attention which is quite a feat. I can tell things are about to get interesting Smile
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Watching Birdy the Mighty Decode 02 right now and I just have to wonder, what the heck happened!? I really liked the first season (gave it Excellent) and I really do like the second season too, but the animation has been terrible, atleast for the first three episodes. Well bad animation doesn't really bother me as I'm so drawn into this animes setting and characters. The animation in first season had some hiccups too so where did they waste all their money on then? Perhaps the awesome soundtrack? Well I don't know, maybe the animation gets better.

That old hag is really scary and I find it a bit funny that spoiler[Capella has to work for her, particulary when that old hag assigns her as Arita Shions manager, hilarious! Laughing ]. That Yakuza dude is also very unlucky. How many of his cars have Birdy (and Senkawa) smashed already? Well I'm going to really enjoy the last 9 episodes while I keep spilling my drink over the badly animated scenes.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Started and finished the first season of Rosario + Vampire today, and it's not nearly as bad as I thought it'd be, and I don't totally regret buying it like I thought I would as soon as I hit the "Submit Order" button. Although, even though I didn't watch the subbed version, I can't help but feel this is exactly like Magikano where the dub made the show more amusing than it actually is. If I'm wrong I'd appreciate it someone would let me know so I can give the show more credit, but for now my opinions are based on that idea.

Looking back on all the fanservice shows I've watched over the years, the most common thing I notice is that I enjoyed the ones I watched dubbed much more than the ones I only watched subbed. I think the reason behind this is that dub studios don't take fanservice shows serious at all, but I always feel like the Japanese companies do, and that "wink wink this is ridiculous, we know it, and we're going to have fun with it" attitude makes all the difference. And it's not just script changes, it's the actors being able to have fun making fun, and it makes a really good end product because the performances are very...I don't know...real, I guess is the right word here.

However, also like Magikano, I can see through the dub mask and see that the show doesn't seem to be all that great. There were so many cliches I don't like such as the tug-o-war, the almost kiss, the "not what it looks like", and some others that there were huge eye rolling moments. However, there were the shining moments like Inner Moka kicking ass, Mizore, episode 10 that used the upper Gainax crew for the animation (I actually caught that before looking it up, so high five to me), and the banter between Yukari and Kurumu (well, more like between bratty Monica Rial voice and smartass Brina Palencia voice) that were very amusing to me. Excluding the things I hated and the things I loved, everything else seemed to just ebb and flow in enjoyment. The ending was really soft and mushy and thrown together out of absolutely nowhere, but it wasn't bad - at least not as bad as some the others I've seen. I liked the spoiler[drama created between the club when it was revealed to them that Tsukune was human and how quickly they came to there senses when his life was in danger.] The final fight was less than enjoyable, though.

Overall it was fine, but, again, I think the dub played a large part in my enjoyment. My socks were never rocked off, but my eyes also never rolled out of my eyes. It's one of those "Hey, this show is here and exists and is kind of nice" type of deals.

Also, I have to give one more praise to the dub. So many studios and directors have a hell of a time with the "call me by my first name" spiel common in anime because of Japanese culture using last names, but it never seems to phase Funimation. The bit in one of the later episodes is that in the sub Tsukune calls her Shirayuki, and she wants him to call her Mizore, her first name. Well, in the dub they always called her Mizore, but when that scene came up, they pulled out, "We've known each other for a while now, so you can start calling me...your little snow bunny". Genius. Just Genius. That's how you write around Japanese jokes, Bang Zoom!

Tris8 wrote:
An1fr3ak wrote:
Tris8 wrote:
Unfortunately I've only gotten to ep 5, but so far it's pretty good. A little slow tho. Hardly anything has happened in the past 5 eps but it's still completely holding my attention which is quite a feat. I can tell things are about to get interesting Smile

If I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times: The movie is much better than the TV series. I really like the TV series, but I love the movie. I highly recommend giving the movie a go when you're done with the TV series. I'd show you posts where I go more indepth, but apparently searching my posts for "air" yields no results - probably because air is too short. Here's the best I can find.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:40 am Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
Watching Birdy the Mighty Decode 02 right now and I just have to wonder, what the heck happened!? I really liked the first season (gave it Excellent) and I really do like the second season too, but the animation has been terrible, atleast for the first three episodes. Well bad animation doesn't really bother me as I'm so drawn into this animes setting and characters. The animation in first season had some hiccups too so where did they waste all their money on then? Perhaps the awesome soundtrack? Well I don't know, maybe the animation gets better.

Or worse, unfortunately. There's a pretty major fight scene in 02 that looks like absolute shit, or did during the TV airing, at least. I really, REALLY hope they made it look like not complete shit when before they put it on the DVD.
Tris8

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:21 am Reply with quote
I just finished Air tv and I only have 1 thing to say. fudge you Air creators. How could you. spoiler[How could Misuzu die like that? I didn't think it was possible but this has now tied for the #1 spot of saddest thing I have ever seen (tied with My Sister's Keeper).] I wasn't expecting anything anywhere near that caliber because of the slow start but Air has truly blown me away. I don't know what kind of coldhearted bastards wrote this but they ripped my heart out of my chest and I want it back. spoiler[Can't believe it ended like that. I knew it was going to be a tragedy but not just for Misuzu's sake, but also for Yukito and Haruko I wanted there to be some kind of solace.... D=]
The King of Harts wrote:
Tris8 wrote:

If I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times: The movie is much better than the TV series. I really like the TV series, but I love the movie. I highly recommend giving the movie a go when you're done with the TV series. I'd show you posts where I go more indepth, but apparently searching my posts for "air" yields no results - probably because air is too short. Here's the best I can find.
Im definitely going to watch the movie now. The beginning arcs were fine, but they weren't amazing like the last arc.
st_owly

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:21 am Reply with quote
Been on a 90's shojo kick recently, so I've just finished Kare Kano and I'm now watching Gokinjo Monogatari. I enjoyed Kare Kano, but it's nowhere near as good as the manga, (which is one of my favourite series ever) and the episodes which weren't directed by Hideaki Anno were definitely the weakest. It would be lovely to see it get a complete retelling, but I highly doubt that will ever happen. As for Gokinjo Monogatari, I love it. I'm a sucker for Ai Yazawa anyway, and I read the manga years ago, but I forgot what happens, so I'm pretty much starting afresh. I didn't realise it was a Toei job until I looked it up, but now I know, I can see some resemblances to Sailor Moon! Laughing I'm not comparing it to the manga, but as a stand alone work, I think it's pretty well done. The art is definitely true to Ai Yazawa's style, and I think you can definitely see the origins of Nana in this series. No one else can write drama quite like her.

Next on the list is Hana Yori Dango. I'm also slowly plodding through Inuyasha...
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:00 am Reply with quote
Tris8 wrote:
I just finished Air tv and I only have 1 thing to say. fudge you Air creators. How could you. spoiler[How could Misuzu die like that? I didn't think it was possible but this has now tied for the #1 spot of saddest thing I have ever seen (tied with My Sister's Keeper).] I wasn't expecting anything anywhere near that caliber because of the slow start but Air has truly blown me away. I don't know what kind of coldhearted bastards wrote this but they ripped my heart out of my chest and I want it back. spoiler[Can't believe it ended like that. I knew it was going to be a tragedy but not just for Misuzu's sake, but also for Yukito and Haruko I wanted there to be some kind of solace.... D=]
The King of Harts wrote:
Tris8 wrote:

Im definitely going to watch the movie now. The beginning arcs were fine, but they weren't amazing like the last arc.

If there is one thing the movie does that the TV version does not do is that is gives Haruko some fanserivce. Well I do not think there was any in the TV version but it has been a few years since I last watched it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
An1fr3ak

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:14 am Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
An1fr3ak wrote:

spoiler[A golem made of paper instilled with the memories of the deceased. Or, more accurately, the personality. Aono is like a paper master from R.O.D., but after she makes things, she can have them take on the actual properties of the object they resemble.]
Quote:

I took the ending to imply spoiler[Yorito needed to "die" so that Aono could come to terms with his death and move on with her life, and that Matsuri gave up her life so that Aono could be fully human again, as it was kind of Matsuri's fault that Aono was originally deprived of a normal life, as even before turning Aono, the latter being offered as a sacrifice forced her into isolation.]

Sorry if I came across as not understanding why everything happened the way it did. I'm just saying that the direction the anime took and the ending it had was not how I would have liked things to occur, if that makes sense.
I was unimpressed with how it all turned out in the end. It was interesting the whole way through and the the way the creators ended the anime was appropriate. If anything, it was a very good ending that gave closure to all aspects of the anime (which you don't see often), but just not how I would have had things pan out. I believed that a tragic love story of sorts was the direction the anime was heading, but alas, not this time. But all-in-all, Sola was a solid anime that I thoroughly enjoyed, just thought I'd mouth off because I deceived myself about the nature of Sola Rolling Eyes
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:05 am Reply with quote
Just finished watching the Hayate the Combat Butler movie, Heaven is a Place on Earth. Disappointing. I'm a huge fan of the first two seasons, so I was really primed for it. On a movie budget, you'd think they'd be able to kick the jams out a bit, but visually it looked like a regular TV episode. I could live with that if the content was the usual funny stuff and clever plots, but it wasn't, unfortunately. Very humdrum story and not much humour, really. Felt like a very lazy effort, all round.
Mylene

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:47 am Reply with quote
Tris8 wrote:
The King of Harts wrote:

For a contrasting opinion, I didn't particularly like the movie and felt it contributed little, except making the relationship between Misuzu and Yukito start to feel creepy. But I generally have patience for slow series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 633 of 1062