• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Moe Tournament (nominations closed)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Samurai CDZ

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:01 pm Reply with quote
angel_lover wrote:
I vote to denominate Rozen Maiden's Souseiseki as a seed. I just can't feel protective about a girl who dresses up as a boy.

I'm fine with that. I still think Tomoe's a less visible character and is the more reasonable non-seed, but I doubt I'll vote for either unless the blocks dictate so.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:22 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
abunai wrote:
angel_lover wrote:
I vote to denominate Rozen Maiden's Souseiseki as a seed. I just can't feel protective about a girl who dresses up as a boy.

Sounds reasonable, if a bit prissy. Personally, I think tomboys are adorable.

Mmm, so did you say "aye" or "nay?" I could hardly tell.

Mea culpa (or perhaps I should say gomen instead). I tend towards implicit meaning and convoluted sentence structure. Hell, sometimes even I don't know what I'm saying. Wink

So, um, yes. That was an "aye" to denomination of Souseiseki.

dormcat wrote:
Both the champion and runner-up have been voted for denomination? Looks like Western fans do have different tastes from Japanese ones.

The world would be a dull place if everywhere were like every other place. On this point, though, I have faith in human nature. No amount of MTV or CNN or McDonald's (or whatever) will ever be able to make the world's population homogenous in taste.

- abunai
Of course, the Soylent Corporation might be able to "make the world's population homogenous in taste", come the day...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 7:35 am Reply with quote
Fortunately, we have 223 nominees (32 seeds and 191 non-seeds), which can be easily divided into eight groups:

Seeds: 32 ---------
                      |
                      |-> 96 -> 32 -> 16 -> 8
                      |
Non-seeds: 191 -> 64 -

8 group leads -> 4 -> semifinals -> final

The first two rounds are 1 out of 3; the rests are 1 out of 2. The randomized list has been created, but I still need some time to draw a nice chart/table to show the entire tournament tree. In the mean time, please provide your valuable opinions and suggestions on grouping and voting methods, and please tell others to participate -- the more the merrier!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
angel_lover

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Don't we really need 192 non-seeds for the first round? Otherwise there will need to be one group that only has 2 members and not 3, which would give a slightly unfair advantage. Did Rei make the cut? If not, maybe she could get an honorary 'golden ticket' to let her participate.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:39 pm Reply with quote
angel_lover wrote:
Don't we really need 192 non-seeds for the first round? Otherwise there will need to be one group that only has 2 members and not 3, which would give a slightly unfair advantage.

The number is just about too perfect. If the number couldn't be divided so easily, quite a few would have to compete with different numbers of competitors during the first round.

Let God decide their fate, then. Wink

angel_lover wrote:
Did Rei make the cut? If not, maybe she could get an honorary 'golden ticket' to let her participate.

Um...(scratching head) She's too strong not being a seed IMO; she's capable to defeat many, if not most, existing seeds. Any suggestions? PantsGoblin?

By the way, I'd like a todofuken headcount to see how many ANNer participating... Razz

Last edited by dormcat on Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:16 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
angel_lover wrote:
Did Rei make the cut? If not, maybe she could get an honorary 'golden ticket' to let her participate.

Um...(scratching head) She's too strong not being a seed IMO; she's capable to defeat many, if not most, existing seeds. Any suggestions? PantsGoblin?

She really shouldn't be able to participate because of the rules. I also remembered a few more after the nominations session ended. So I'd rather her not participate even if she is extremely popular. Anyway it may be more interesting without her dominating the compitition.

OT: Woah! abunai's new avatar. He has a santa hat now. dormcat, why don't you put one on your avatar?
daxomni

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:28 am Reply with quote
Please forgive my ignorance, but exactly how does this whole extended event improve the result compared to a simple strait vote?
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 5:44 am Reply with quote
daxomni wrote:
Please forgive my ignorance, but exactly how does this whole extended event improve the result compared to a simple strait vote?

A straight vote could result many nominees with zero vote, for votes would be concentrated to strong contestants (e.g. seeds), and you couldn't compare the popularity of second tier characters. A tournament, which contains brief introductions for only 2-3 contestants per round, could help reminding people for their love for the character, thus increasing votes they can receive.

Wait me a few more hours; I'll be back with the chart.

EDIT: angel_lover, I just LOVE your way to express season's greetings. Only people "within the wall" could understand.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:57 am Reply with quote
Just curious about something? Will there be small pictures next to the corresponding girl so people will know what she looks like? Rolling Eyes
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:35 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
Just curious about something? Will there be small pictures next to the corresponding girl so people will know what she looks like? Rolling Eyes

Certainly. I've mentioned it in my previous post.

I wrote:
It's impossible to include links, mug shots and brief intro now; those will be included when the fight starts.

Nice timing, darkchibi. I realized that there was no need to draw a chart. All I need was MS Excel.

Here we go (snare drums please):

Group A:

Group B:

Group C:

Group D:

Group E:

Group F:

Group G:

Group H:

The first round will be

Aria from Sister Princess series
Misora Tsukishima from Mao-chan
Rico from Gunslinger Girl

I think it's about time to open a new thread and decide when should we start voting (and persuading too!).
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 5:08 pm Reply with quote
All right, first impressions:

Great work on the diagram, dormcat, it's very legible and clear.

Dear me, some of my favourites are head-to-head in the first heats. Drat!

We can't just vote on one triad of characters at a time. Either it would take forever, or it would require so many concurrent threads that it would constitute spamming the boards.

I propose we create four threads, one for each of the four groups. In each thread, we start by listing the 8 triads of characters that make up the first-heat contestants. Then people can submit posts listing their 8 choices in the triads - up to a certain cut-off date (I suggest 7 days for the first heat, to allow the buzz to get started - maybe shorter intevals for following heats). When the cut-off date is reached, the winners are tallied and the second heat is announced. Voting rounds continue in each of the four threads, until each group has a winner. The winners are then matched off in a finals thread. Total number of threads: 5. How's that?

One thing that the voting-in-forum-form is going to imply, is that the votes already entered may be affected by previous votes. Therefore, I suggest that we allow people to change their votes by editing their existing posts (ONE post per user per voting round, not counting contest arrangers, is a rule we have to have). The edit time must be before the cutoff date, or the vote will be ruled invalid. The forums time-stamp edits, so that's not a problem.

Perhaps we will need a sixth thread (perhaps the best way is to use this present thread, continued) for discussion about the tournament - to avoid going off the topic of voting in the voting threads. We need to manage that aspect of it carefully. The voting threads will, essentially, be almost like list threads, but with a definite purpose.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Samurai CDZ

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 1:28 am Reply with quote
You lost me, abunai. Unless I'm missing something, your example would have to have 10 threads not 6 as I see 8 groups, not 4. But, regardless, I think it can be done in 2 threads instead of 5-6, one of which being this one. We only need 1 new one for voting. We can still do 8 triads at once, though. I'd prefer 1 triad from each group, but a group at a time will work, too. It will take longer than separate threads, but it would be less clutter and it might be more interesting that way.

Whoever is in control (I'm assuming it's dormcat at this point) should create a link list (TOC style), in the first post, to go directly to the contest posts. That way they can be found easily amongst all the responses.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 2:02 am Reply with quote
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 6:51 am Reply with quote
Samurai CDZ wrote:
You lost me, abunai. Unless I'm missing something, your example would have to have 10 threads not 6 as I see 8 groups, not 4.

Um, yes, I seem to have dropped a sentence where I proposed voting on two groups in each thread. My bad.

Samurai CDZ wrote:
But, regardless, I think it can be done in 2 threads instead of 5-6, one of which being this one. We only need 1 new one for voting. We can still do 8 triads at once, though. I'd prefer 1 triad from each group, but a group at a time will work, too. It will take longer than separate threads, but it would be less clutter and it might be more interesting that way.

I like your idea of a single voting thread - but if we only vote on one group at a time, the voting periods will have to be prohibitively short, or we'll still be voting by this time next year. Assuming a voting period of one week per vote, just getting through the first heat would then take eight weeks.
Therefore, I suggest that, for heat one, we vote on the first four groups in the first week. Then the last four groups in week 2. After the first heat, we vote on all groups at once. Total time, assuming one week per vote, is 6-7 weeks:

Week 1: Voting on 1st heat, groups A-D (32 picks from 96 nominees).
Week 2: Voting on 1st heat, groups E-H (32 picks from 96 nominees).
Week 3: Voting on 2nd heat, all groups (32 picks from 96 nominees).
Week 4: Voting on 3rd heat, all groups (32 picks from 64 nominees).
Week 5-7: Finals (8 round winners face off)

If you feel that having to pick 32 choices in each round of voting is too much, then we could halve the number of groups in the first four weeks, making the duration four weeks longer. That would only require making 16 picks per round of voting.

Samurai CDZ wrote:
Whoever is in control (I'm assuming it's dormcat at this point) should create a link list (TOC style), in the first post, to go directly to the contest posts. That way they can be found easily amongst all the responses.

Good thinking.

- abunai
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 11:28 am Reply with quote
Samurai CDZ wrote:

I can take care of it (since I have the complete list in .xls format already), but I'm not the person in control. Anime catgrin + sweatdrop I'll provide assistance I'm capable of, but PantsGoblin is the founder of this tournament and should be credited as the person in charge.

abunai wrote:
Total time, assuming one week per vote, is 6-7 weeks

I agree and disagree. Personally, I think seven days (one week) per heat might be too long; the thread would become stale and lame after weeks. On the other hand, the low visibility of this thread could mean meager votes per heat if the time is shorter, which would contribute to very inaccurate and counter-representative results. Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9