• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The issue of accents in anime.

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Mushi-Man wrote:
abunai wrote:
Careful -- you're subscribing to a common, but false conception of Japan. In your defense, it is a misconception that many Japanese subscribe to, as well. Nevertheless... Japan is far less homogenous than people think. There are multiple ethnic subgroups and literally hundreds of dialects -- some of which are so different from standard Japanese, lexically and grammatically, as to constitute separate languages, not dialects.

Yeah this is what I've grown to understand about the Japanese language. I've heard that often there are cases where the dialects are so different from one another that two people from different parts of Japan (usually country sides) are unable to understand each other. And that students will have to learn a variety of different forms and dialects of Japanese just for basic communication.

Well, yes and no. You see, that's why there is a standard Japanese (chiefly based on Kantou dialect, btw). Like any standard language of a nation-state (think Castilian Spanish in Spain, for instance, or Rigsdansk in Denmark), it is a dominant form that is taught in the school system to all children. Thus, even though you might speak dialect in your own region, you would still be capable of speaking the standard language. So you can get along just fine in Japan with standard Japanese -- but locals would still chatter incomprehensibly among themselves, leaving you outside the loop.

Some regional-dialect speakers, of course, will have trouble with the national language. I saw an interview once with Sonoda Isamu, the Olympic gold medalist judoka. He's from Fukuoka, and his accent when speaking standard Japanese is so impenetrable that Japanese TV added subtitles. The same is true of Natsukawa Rimi, the famous Okinawan singer -- but in her case, it is because she actually sings in Okinawa-ben, instead of standard Japanese.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Errinundra

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:49 pm Reply with quote
I've just been reading Andrew Osmond's Satoshi Kon: The Illusionist where he point out in Perfect Blue the main character, Mima, normally speaks with a mainstream Japanese dialect but reverts to her regional dialect when she speaks with her mother on the telephone. Something I would never have realised otherwise.

Regarding American accents - as an Australian I sometimes find it bizarre. I'm sure Americans would find it odd if all anime was dubbed with an Australian accent.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:15 pm Reply with quote
I personally do not like accents in anime dubs. Now, I think Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi was able to somehow pull it off due to two reasons: they only made two characters like that and second, it added to their personality quirk for me.

But for examples of where accents didn't work for me:
Master Keaton. They only ever gave one-shot side characters accents, but dammit, they sounded so awkward trying to both read the lines well and pull off the accent that it felt half-baked in the end. It didn't ruin the show full stop for me as the non-accented voices were still good, but I didn't appreciate how awkwardly forced the lines sounded. Now, had they been read by a non-North American who really did speak another language as their first, that might've been pretty cool, but I highly doubt they did.
Baccano!. Now, these were American accents and not foreign country accents, but I'll be damned, the accents here ruined the dub for me (and about 2% of other people it would seem because 98% of people adore this dub). We all know the voices were done by Texans, but that wasn't quite it for me either. The Japanese, at least to my ears, didn't sound very accented, and while I might be perfectly wrong on that, I couldn't tell and thus it didn't distract me. But the dub accents of all things, in part because almost every character had one, really distracted me from enjoying the story. It really didn't make the characters look any cooler to me either, they were perfectly awesome in non-accented Japanese to me.

So, I prefer accents be kept to a minimum and if an accent won't add to the character, it shouldn't be there. I don't want strange accents distracting me from the story, it's the same as putting gaudy CGI in your anime to me, but it's awkward on the ears instead of the eyes.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:07 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
Past wrote:
I just go by the assumption of the world in anime; every human speaks Japanese. Just like Star Trek: The default language that every alien species can speak is English.

Sokath, his eyes uncovered!

- abunai

Shakka, when the walls fell. Wink

Any rate, I don't mind accents in dubs. In fact I kind of like it as it helps add a further measure of believability, especially when the character(s) are not Japanese or English. I like how Le Chevalier D'Eon had characters that were French, actually use French accents or adequate approximations, and pronunciations. I also enjoyed Baccano! and that the dub actually sounded like the actors were from the 20's and even used old slang.

Of course this is assuming that it's a good "reasonable sounding" accent and doesn't sound too forced like Tina from Ai Yori Aoshi for instance.

Last edited by Kruszer on Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:21 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
Dark Paladin X wrote:
Greg Ayres pulls off a convincing British accent for Negi Springfield (despite the character being Welsh).
Clue: Not all Welsh people speak with a Welsh accent. You've been watching too much Torchwood.
no, people don't all speak with welsh accents (any of the various ones, as pointed out below): they also speak with pakistani accents, somali accents,... even english accents. it's a bit of a shame the dubbing went with english, though, the one choice that understates that country's own variety of dialects, and migrant and indigenous ethnicities.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:56 am Reply with quote
Well I understand that accents generally in a real life situation that the person has a past to some different place. In some anime (often in dubs) they want to decide to give characters accents to seperate them, example being Osaka in Azumanga Daioh who's accent has been discussed already is seperated.

Another interesting choice might be the Hellsing dub, especially the OVAs give us a large array of accents, as positioning them to different countries and societies. Yet Alucard was accentless to kind of seperate him alone. I also recently watched some of the dub of Negima!? and was hapily suprised at the inclussion of accents.

Also I might say that me being an Aussie, I find most dubs with accents anyway and it can be just as strange to have all appearing American.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:07 am Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
abunai wrote:
Past wrote:
I just go by the assumption of the world in anime; every human speaks Japanese. Just like Star Trek: The default language that every alien species can speak is English.

Sokath, his eyes uncovered!

- abunai

Shakka, when the walls fell. Wink

You callin' me a failure, son? "Zinda, his face black, his eyes red".

Kruszer wrote:
Any rate, I don't mind accents in dubs. In fact I kind of like it as it helps add a further measure of believability, especially when the character(s) are not Japanese or English. I like how Le Chevalier D'Eon had characters that were French, actually use French accents or adequate approximations, and pronunciations. I also enjoyed Baccano! and that the dub actually sounded like the actors were from the 20's and even used old slang.

I take it you refer to the US dub, which I haven't heard. Anyway, this sort of makes sense, since not everyone in the story was French -- a significant arc takes place at the Russian court (where the language spoken, historically, would have been German, though the court would have been equally capable of French, it being the diplomatic lingua franca of the era).

Kruszer wrote:
Of course this is assuming that it's a good "reasonable sounding" accent and doesn't sound too forced like Tina from Ai Yori Aoshi for instance.

In the Japanese original version, there is nothing forced-sounding about Tina's voice. She speaks fluent Japanese, after all, with a regional (Hakata) dialect. The seiyuu who did the voice for Tina, Yukino Satsuki, is not from that region, but took lessons from one of the other seiyuu, Inokuchi Yuka (voice of Uzume the ferret), who is.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:06 am Reply with quote
But in the dub, Tina has a forced English Southern accent.

Quote:
I take it you refer to the US dub, which I haven't heard. Anyway, this sort of makes sense, since not everyone in the story was French -- a significant arc takes place at the Russian court (where the language spoken, historically, would have been German, though the court would have been equally capable of French, it being the diplomatic lingua franca of the era).

Yes, they also do something similar for the Russian characters, I think, but it's been a while so I could be wrong.

Quote:
You callin' me a failure, son? "Zinda, his face black, his eyes red".

*shakes head* Abunai and Kruszer, on the ocean.
ZakuAce

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:23 am Reply with quote
I love it when accents are put into a dub. As a complete dork who loves trying to imitate accents every chance he gets, hearing them in any sort of programming gives me a chance to try a new one out Wink It adds a fair amount of enjoyment to the viewing experience. For example, after hearing the Baccano! English dub, I doubt I could ever enjoy the Japanese dub...but maybe that's because the New York style accent is my favorite one to imitate Wink

Aww, no Star Trek lines left for me Sad
retty

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:38 pm Reply with quote
I think the same applies to anime dubs as English language movies set in other countries, if all teh dialogue is in English what's the point of having them do an accent, it would sound silly and be very distracting. I would hate to sit through an English dub where all the voice actors are doing Japanese accents, that would be painful.

However when there are one or more characters that are not from the same place as the majority of the characters I think it's fair to give them an accent to help show that they are foreign or whatever, but I don't particularly mind if they don't have one. For example, the English Full Metal Panic dub, it's never bothered me that the Mithril lot all sound alike and sound the same as the Japanese characters.

The Negima dub was just terrible...why do an accent at all if it's not right.
Ta-kun The Black Kitty

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:22 pm Reply with quote
I, for one, think that accents aren't necessary. Truth be told, what matters in a dub is clarity. To be able to understand what the VAs are saying. If they can pull off a decent accent, good for them, but for those who watch dubs and English is not their 1st language (yes, there is a world out there, North Americans), it comes as an obstacle to understand what they say.

In Spanish, though, some accents are somewhat more recognizeable and some VAs actually make use of them, such as in Pokémon, where the voice for James makes heavy use of accents, especially his more natural Mexican accent. It may be fun on occasion, but it's turned mostly obnoxious.

All in all, less is more.
Dark Paladin X

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Okay, this is how I am going to summarize about the issue of accents in both Japanese and English soundtrack judging by the comments in this thread.

I'm guessing that the reason why the VA and seiyuus don't bother with accents is mainly because it would sound awkward for someone speaking in a foreign accent that is not related to your tongue (i.e. someone speaking English with a Russian accent). Another reason is because the audience assumes that the characters speak in the language relating to the setting (i.e. El Cazador de la Bruja where it takes place in Mexico and South America). It is just the characters speak in the viewer's tongue without any accents so that the viewers can connect with the characters more and understand what they are saying.

However, Axis Powers Hetalia, is a different situation. First of all, the characters are moe anthropomorphism of countries. Second, there isn't really much of a definite setting like Monster or El Cazador de la Bruja. Finally, stereotyping is part of the main humor in Hetalia, and I think it would make the series more humorous if the characters are given accents that represents the country (or offensive, but that is the point of stereotyping humor).

If this is the case of having characters with accents, then Yuri Lowenthal as Japan would be out of the question (who I personally think to be the best option for this character despite being legally impossible in some areas). Mainly because Yuri Lowenthal doesn't really bother with accents with the exception of Prince from the Prince of Persia game. Unless, if the ADR Director play around this have him speak a few Japanese lines with translated subtitles in the English dub (which Yuri is quite fluent in Japanese), then it would make Hetalia an interesting series.

Then again, accents are really hard to accurately pull off. Particularly when speaking a non-English or non-Japanese accent in your own language.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:27 pm Reply with quote
If Hetalia is all about stereotypes then I don't think accuracy is all that important.
See http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Allo_Allo and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mind_Your_Language for comedy steeped in cultural stereotypes and campy accents.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Showsni

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:40 am Reply with quote
Dark Paladin X wrote:
Greg Ayres pulls off a convincing British accent for Negi Springfield.

Um, no. Not really.

And you'd expect Negi to have more of a Welsh accent, really, having lived there since he was pretty young; shame they didn't at least attempt a generic Welsh accent. It's probably easier to do in fact. (Though you do risk dropping into an Indian accent!)

As for the Osaka = deep south, I quite like it. Now, me not being American it may sound as wrong to you as Negi does to me, but I liked the flavour it gave Abenobashi. Since dubbed anime are all basically in foreign accents for me anyway it doesn't really make much difference! (The amount of American accents in dubs is unsurprisngly large...)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2