• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Isn't American Animation Outsourced To Japan?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
Also, apparently outsourcing to Japan could make for some amusing communication errors for Bruce Timm's crew. One episode of Superman involved criminals eating tacos. They were rather surprised when the footage came back and the criminals were eating octopus.

You might find this possible reason for this miscommunication that resulted in that "octopus" episode of Superman interesting.

When the word taco was brought up, the studio must've mistook it for the Japanese homophone tako, which translates to octopus.
Sympan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:15 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
It is not just America that outsourced to Japan, I fount out that The World of Peter Rabbit and Friends, was co-produced between the BBC and Pony canyon.

To my knowledge, most (if not all) of the animation for the 90s Peter Rabbit & Friends shorts were done in the UK, by TVC London (housed in the BBC London Television Centre) and Stuart Brooks Animation (an independent studio, famous for The Yellow Submarine and The Velvet Claw); both sadly went out of business shortly afterwards. Pony Canyon and Fuji Television were simply co-producers that financed and distributed the series for BBC Worldwide, but contributed little or no creative input, let alone outsourced animation (as was the case with many 80s-90s British TV series involving international co-productions).

On another note, out of curiosity: are there any recent Japanese TV anime that have zero outsourced input? The last one I could recall was Wolf's Rain, which (if the ANN encyclopedia is to be trusted) relied on all-domestic studios, and no South Korean or Chinese subcontractors.
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Sympan wrote:
On another note, out of curiosity: are there any recent Japanese TV anime that have zero outsourced input? The last one I could recall was Wolf's Rain, which (if the ANN encyclopedia is to be trusted) relied on all-domestic studios, and no South Korean or Chinese subcontractors.

I believe that KyoAni still does everything in-house.
mrsatan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:14 am Reply with quote
That was one cool thing about growing up in the mid 80s. Almost all the cartoons were outsourced to Japan and they all looked beautiful. The writing was often garbage, but they were fun to look at.
FishifiedPotato

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:18 am Reply with quote
First of all, the United States was outsourcing animation to Japan since the late 1960s. Mushi Production even did contract work for the original Frosty the Snowman TV special. Also, by the 1980s, Western and Japanese animation were already being outsourced to Korea and Taiwan, the latter which the column fails to mention as a major player too. American companies like Disney also outsourced a lot of animation to France.

Last edited by FishifiedPotato on Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:48 am; edited 1 time in total
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:47 am Reply with quote
Disney's W.I.T.C.H. was produced in Paris animation studio.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:03 am Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
To our late 70's-mid 80's generation, Hasbro's GI Joe and Rankin-Bass's anime-dynamic Thundercats openings were as mind-blowing as, well...."Battle of the Planets" was. Cool

When I was given a Thundercats box set years back (still haven't watched it all..), well, the first pantyshot of Wily Kit pretty much ticked the "anime" box for me. Speaking of which, Keiji Gotoh's earliest acknowledged credit was as an inbetweener on Thundercats.
I well remember a dramatic stylistic shift in Defenders of the Earth and reading (correctly or otherwise) years later that it was due to being outsourced to Japan for a time.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:12 am Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:

You might find this possible reason for this miscommunication that resulted in that "octopus" episode of Superman interesting.

When the word taco was brought up, the studio must've mistook it for the Japanese homophone tako, which translates to octopus.

Add in that "taco" and the romaji word "tako" are one letter apart, and I can see where the it's an easy mistake to make. I'm actually more surprised that they bothered having it fixed. The choice of food wasn't exactly crucial to that scene.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:34 am Reply with quote
It reminds me of these tales of language barriers in outsourced animation.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:26 pm Reply with quote
What about North Korea? Guy Delisle's graphic novel memoir Pyongyang: A Journey in North Korea details the author's experience working as a liaison between a French animation studio and SEK Studios in North Korea. It's a fascinating and terrifying (and often hilarious) view of a totalitarian regime as well as animation communication frustration!
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Sympan wrote:
To my knowledge, most (if not all) of the animation for the 90s Peter Rabbit & Friends shorts were done in the UK, by TVC London (housed in the BBC London Television Centre) and Stuart Brooks Animation (an independent studio, famous for The Yellow Submarine and The Velvet Claw); both sadly went out of business shortly afterwards. Pony Canyon and Fuji Television were simply co-producers that financed and distributed the series for BBC Worldwide, but contributed little or no creative input, let alone outsourced animation (as was the case with many 80s-90s British TV series involving international co-productions).

I'm surprised that they wanted to co-produce a show, when I saw them credited I assumed they were approached for the production, not had given funds towards it.

I've heard that trigger do most work in-house, and only outsource to Japanese studios. From what I've seen looking through their credits, it seems to be true.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
What about North Korea? Guy Delisle's graphic novel memoir Pyongyang: A Journey in North Korea details the author's experience working as a liaison between a French animation studio and SEK Studios in North Korea. It's a fascinating and terrifying (and often hilarious) view of a totalitarian regime as well as animation communication frustration!

I had no idea animation was outsourced to North Korea. I thought the country's borders were shut too tight to have much interaction with western nations. There's also hardly any electricity in the country except at the palace and military bases.
Philmister978

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:17 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Agent355 wrote:

I had no idea animation was outsourced to North Korea. I thought the country's borders were shut too tight to have much interaction with western nations. There's also hardly any electricity in the country except at the palace and military bases.

Yep, those crappy Italian Titanic films (or at least, the ones with the giant octopus) were animated there.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Ojamajo LimePie wrote:

I believe that KyoAni still does everything in-house.

That depends on how you define "in-house"; a lot of Kyoto Animation productions have some grunt work farmed out to Studio Blue (formerly AniVillage), which is owned by KyoAni but is located in South Korea.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ChronoBall X

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Alot of our fav american cartoons during the 80's and 90's were pretty much outsourced to various Japanese Animation studios

The first 3 seasons of Muppet Babies were animated by Toei Animation and than the remainder of the rest of the seasons were animated by Akom Productions, which Akom did the animation for Captain Bucky O Hare and the Toad Wars.

Most of the majority of the Dic, Cartoons in the 80's such as Dinosaucrs, The Real Ghostbusters, The Syndication 1985 Dic Care Bears episodes,the 1986 Dennis the Mennace Cartoon, the 1986 Popples TV Series,Inspecter Gadget and Meet Julie were all animated by Japanese studios.

heck the Opening Animated Intro to the Super Mario World cartoon was animated by a japanese studio compared to the actual episodes. Laughing[/b]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3