• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Feature

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Samurai CDZ

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Cookie wrote:
PSST: Tempest, do referral links submitted to the DB count towards the encyclopedia contributions? Smile

Doesn't look like it. Sad

Tempest wrote:
This is more an issue with the release database than the price compare portion of it. Right now there are no manga in the database because its not really set up for them. We'll be adding manga soon enough and they'll be included in the price compare right off the bat.

Cool.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Cookie wrote:
PSST: Tempest, do referral links submitted to the DB count towards the encyclopedia contributions? Smile

Oops, I missed that question.

Hmm, if they don't, I'll make sure they do. We track the submissions, so there's no problem to retoactively catch up with them as long as it's done before the end of the month.

-t
MelancholyDevil

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Samurai CDZ wrote:
But doesn't that depend on the speed of delivery, the wieght of the order (you might end up getting 2 or 3 dvds at once) and where it is going? It seems too unpredictable to keep track of.

Wieght? Do retailers really charge more for 3, 4, 5, 6 DVDs as they do for one? DVDs don't weigh that much, do they?

As for speed of delivery, all Mr. ...(I don't wanna say it)..uh, I mean Tempest, has to do is add a feature that allows you to choose when you'd like it to arrive, don't sound impossibley difficult to me
Samurai CDZ

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I re-thought it a bit and it shouldn't be too hard. It would require some options, though, but Tempest and Dan42 are hella smart with this stuff so it should be a snap.

Quote:
Wieght? Do retailers really charge more for 3, 4, 5, 6 DVDs as they do for one? DVDs don't weigh that much, do they?

It does when my work sends stuff out so I'd just assume it's the same for online stores. Regular mail goes by ounces and stuff, so two dvds regular mail costs more than one (like 15 cents or something). Nothing we'd really care about.
skyd

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Wieght? Do retailers really charge more for 3, 4, 5, 6 DVDs as they do for one?

Actually they usually charge LESS for shipping if you order in bulk than if you ordered each DVD individually, especially if you pick an express mail type delivery. Quite a few stores also have free shipping if you are over a certain price limit (such as $99, or in Amazon's case, $25). Add in the different types of shipping (ie. Ground vs 2nd day) and differences in international shipping and you have prices all over the map. Because of all the variables I don't think it should be part of the main price comparison, but maybe as an extra column.
isaacada1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Adding Canadian and UK Retailers is on the to do. Here's a list of potential Canadian retailers to add.

http://www.absound.com/
http://www.amazon.ca
http://www.archambault.ca/
http://www.cnl.com/
http://www.dv-depot.com
http://www.dvdboxoffice.com
http://www.dvdsoon.com
http://www.futureshop.ca/

If you know a good list of UK retailers, feel free to post them.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Samurai CDZ

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Actually they usually charge LESS for shipping if you order in bulk

Well, yeah...what I meant came out wrong and it's irrelevant anyway. But you are right.

What about adding the licensor's website to the specific releases?

Like Animeigo and Funimation. I know for the most part their prices might not be as good as anywhere else, but they might have something that no other site has, like the Urusei Yatsura box sets.

Edit: I just ran across another one. What about box sets vs. bricks? For example, Crest of the Stars at Barnes and Noble and Amazon. They look different but they are kind of the same. I'm going to enter them as the same release but how do feel about it.
Lord_Satorious

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 2:13 am Reply with quote
There's this program I use which is similar to what ANN is doing now. It lets you organize your DVDs, list what you paid for them, where you got them and when, as well as a bunch of other information. You can search many online stores for prices (including shipping) so you can get the best price. I've found it invaluable, although I use DVD Aficionado as well, just for keeping an online list.

Check out that program here: DVD Profiler
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
isaacada1

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 3:36 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Lord_Satorious"]There's this program I use which is similar to what ANN is doing now. It lets you organize your DVDs, list what you paid for them, where you got them and when, as well as a bunch of other information. You can search many online stores for prices (including shipping) so you can get the best price. [/quote]

Besides this new price feature, there's the My Anime/Manga feature as well.
animenewsnetwork.com/MyAnime/

What do you think we can do to improve this new price feature?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
CloakBass

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 4:15 pm Reply with quote
```````````````````````

Last edited by CloakBass on Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Lord_Satorious

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 2:46 am Reply with quote
I think if you could enter a bunch of items into a cart and then tally the total (regular shipping costs listed separately) at the various online retailers, that would be useful because then you would know the exact total before you bought anything. I don't think ANN is responsible for fans keeping track of exactly which DVDs they own (there's plenty of other free programs and websites that do that), but the price check feature looks promising.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 6:45 am Reply with quote
CloakBass wrote:
Deepdiscountdvd.com is also a great store. Their prices are usually cheaper than most others

That's because it's a bootleg store.

EDIT: my bad, they seem to have a lot of legit stuff. Since when did they change?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
disarm10

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:

That's because it's a bootleg store.
EDIT: my bad, they seem to have a lot of legit stuff. Since when did they change?

I've been buying there for over a year and a half and I've never seen a bootleg listed. Maybe you're thinking of a different store, because I dont think they were ever a bootleg store =P
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:

you're thinking of a different discount *ahem* dvd store.

deepdiscountdvd has always been legit, afaik.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ChichiriMuyo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Cookie wrote:
you're thinking of a different discount *ahem* dvd store.

It's too bad about that given store too, because it seems that they also have legit domestic dvds right along side bootlegs. I imagine that they can maintain a 30% or so discount on the domestic titles thanks to their predominantly bootleg sales.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3