• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gundam Seed Destiny HD Remaster BDs to Have English Subs

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TopGunman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:00 am Reply with quote
00, not a bad Gundam series, but certainly one of the weakest, especially if you've seen previous series. Hell, even AGE is surprisingly a lot better despite being nothing more than 'Popcorn Anime' and it didn't try to hide that fact.

00's originality was very much lacking, it took too many familiar elements much from previous Gundams, especially Wing and just focused on that as opposed to making its own flavor.

Good or bad at least SEED Destiny had SOME similarities but it wasn't a complete ripoff. But Gundam X on the other hand; that really went farther than most Gundam series while still actually being Gundam in the end (if that makes sense).

Unlike Wing, Maria Ismail's princess character was POINTLESS!! Relena on the other hand advanced the story of Wing.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:10 am Reply with quote
TopGunman wrote:
00, not a bad Gundam series, but certainly one of the weakest, especially if you've seen previous series. Hell, even AGE is surprisingly a lot better despite being nothing more than 'Popcorn Anime' and it didn't try to hide that fact.

00's originality was very much lacking, it took too many familiar elements much from previous Gundams, especially Wing and just focused on that as opposed to making its own flavor.

Good or bad at least SEED Destiny had SOME similarities but it wasn't a complete ripoff. But Gundam X on the other hand; that really went farther than most Gundam series while still actually being Gundam in the end (if that makes sense).

Unlike Wing, Maria Ismail's princess character was POINTLESS!! Relena on the other hand advanced the story of Wing.

Quote:
I strongly disagree, but I rather not talk about how horrible Age is.

Quote:
How? You people keep claiming 00 is a rip-off, but you back it up with the most idiotic points? What are the rip-offs? That they both have Gundams? Do they actually amount to anything? I very much doubt it. I'd like to know what other Gundam show actually dabble's in as realistic world politics as 00 does? What does it take from Wing? I mean the Gundam's motives are even different.
Quote:

Good or bad at least SEED Destiny had SOME similarities but it wasn't a complete ripoff.
Some? Now Seed and Destiny? Those are shows that take plots from previous Gundams. The desert arc, STELLAAAAAA. How are those show's not complete rip-offs, but 00 is when 00's plotlines are event like other Gundam shows. While Seed have the most obvious Gundam war plot.
Quote:

Relena on the other hand advanced the story of Wing.
Much to the dismay of the show.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:17 am Reply with quote
DomonX2 wrote:
@penguintruth

You UC fanboys

Stopped reading there.

I like G Gundam, Gundam X, Turn A Gundam, and Gundam 00, none of which are UC Gundam. AGE didn't satisfy me. In fact, I dropped it, and I didn't even drop Destiny (though I think it's still better than Destiny, I'm just less masochistic now with Gundam.).

UC tends to have some of the stronger material in the franchise (0079, Zeta, 0080, 08th MS Team, Unicorn), but it by no means has a monopoly on quality. ZZ and Victory have unsettlingly inconsistent tones, 0083 is a hot mess, IGLOO is mostly dull, CCA is love it or hate it, and F91 is essentially an "incomplete" grade.

Though I admit I tend to only collect UC material on DVDs and Blu-Rays. But that's just because I collect so much anime I only have so much room and its best to choose my favorites.

SEED and SEED Destiny are lifeless, have characters that leave almost no impression, lure you with the promises of plot elements like genetic engineering and then never really discuss them, and are just generally forced and unlikable. There's no figure in the series that commands presence, no charm or charisma in either the protagonists or antagonists. They're like simple marionettes and mouthpieces for the shallow writer. Every character is so weak, so ephemeral, as to barely exist at all on the screen. I often had to ask myself, "Is Kira Yamato a character or just a vague concept?" I can barely discern any personality traits of him aside from some amorphous "sensitivity". There's this heavy vaneer of artificiality, of a lack of spirit to these shows that feels draining. They exist merely to exist. They have no message that hasn't already been delivered or element that hasn't been better utilized by the franchise in better shows and/or movies. Even the art is dire with its generic "anime character" designs and overuse of shiny surfaces. And those mecha are just horrendous.

They even have the gall to litter the run of these shows with clip episodes. Like we're so imbecilic we can't remember what went on a few episodes ago. Well, I guess since everything in the shows kind of runs together, maybe it was necessary.

In short, they're tales told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing, to quote Macbeth.

Last edited by penguintruth on Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:29 am; edited 4 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:24 am Reply with quote
Gundam 00 owes more to Full Metal Panic! than it does to Gundam Wing.

***Secret global extralegal paramilitary organisation tasked with peacekeeping and stopping wars.

***Organisation has a stealthy advanced custom-built mothership from where they launch their super-advanced robotic machines from.

***Said mothership is commanded by a female tactical genius.

***Young Arabian boy who grows up in a war-torn country, gets turned into a child soldier by a psychopathic older male who takes an interest in him.

***Boy ends up with said paramilitary organisation, with a busty female who drinks too much and a wisecracking sniper team-mate.

***But boy's ex-mentor isn't too happy and attempts to test and defeat him using another advanced machine. Boy holds a grudge against the man who turned him into a killer.

Now, which series was I talking about? The answer, of course, is both.
thieftheodore

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:33 am Reply with quote
potatochobit wrote:
isnt seed desitny one of the worst selling gundam franchises?

I'm pretty sure that seed destiny is the best selling anime in the history after bakemonogatari and madoka
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:46 am Reply with quote
^
Not quite. Even discounting re-releases, Neon Genesis Evangelion is the all-time highest-selling by a country mile.

Including re-releases:

Neon Genesis Evangelion
Bakemonogatari
Gundam SEED
Mobile Suit Gundam 0079 (i.e. the original series)
Gundam SEED Destiny
PMMM

Interesting to note that Neon Genesis Evangelion's first run alone outsold Bakemonogatari's first run plus re-release combined.
DomonX2

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:15 am Reply with quote
@Rahxephon91 Learn what a rip off is, Einstein. Just because plot isn't involved doesn't mean something is not ripped off. Technically, W is a rip off of G Gundam and UC 0079-F91, but it's still somewhat original. Also, not all Gundams are invincible. Hell, Amuro got his ass kicked by a goddamn glorified Zaku II in the Gundam. The Gundam MK II is inferior to most non Gundam suits in Zeta even in it's Super Gundam mode. The O is superior to Zeta. Quebley can fight on par with the ZZ. Hyaku Shiki is pretty weak in ZZ, spec wise to most ZZ suits. The Rig Contio is on par with the V2. The Vigna Ghina is on par with the F91. The Sinaju is on par with the Unicorn. None of them are Gundams and they all offer a challenge to the strongest Gundams in their series. In Gundam W, the Gundams are by FAR the most powerful and only named pilots and mobile dolls can hold their own. In Gundam 00 only the GNX/named pilots can hold their own against the Celestial Being Gundams. In Season 2, the 00 Raiser is invincible, until it fights the Arche and even THEN, it kicks the Arche's ass. Only the Reborns is a true challenge to the 00 Raiser, just like the Epyon is the only thing, which can hold it's own against W Zero. 1 rip off, you cannot refute.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:13 pm Reply with quote
DomonX2 wrote:
@Rahxephon91 Learn what a rip off is, Einstein. Just because plot isn't involved doesn't mean something is not ripped off.
So just because something dosen't actually rip-off what something else is about means it's still a rip-off? Maybe you need to figure what rip-off means.

Quote:
Technically, W is a rip off of G Gundam and UC 0079-F91,
What? This is the first I've ever heard someone claim anything is a rip-off of G Gundam? Are you just going to claim that having ANY thing in common makes something a rip-off? And I don't know what a rip-off is?

Quote:
but it's still somewhat original.
And 00 isn't? Yet wing is? How, because all your orginal points were pretty incorrect.

Quote:
Also, not all Gundams are invincible.
Yes and? Everyone know's this. It's pretty obvious we are talking about AU shows here. And really after 0079, most Gundams are pretty powerful in their respective show. I'm not sure how you can single out 00 when they really aren't even displayed to be invincible in season 1. Remember when they almost get beat mid way through the show or how Ghram is pretty much able to handle Setsuna?

Quote:
The Gundam MK II is inferior to most non Gundam suits in Zeta even in it's Super Gundam mode.
Not really?

Quote:
The O is superior to Zeta.
Except for ithe Zeta's Newtype shit.

Quote:
The Sinaju is on par with the Unicorn.
Except no it is'nt.
Quote:
None of them are Gundams and they all offer a challenge to the strongest Gundams in their series.
No the thing is they are piloted by other named pilots that give the Gundams a fight. Hey just like in 00!

Quote:
1 rip off, you cannot refute
I did all your points are stupid. It's a rip-off because the Gundams are powerful? So what about all the other AU shows then?

You have no real point, nothing actually adds up. Fine in the UC shows, Gundams arent overpowerd. Yes, UC is usually more "realistic". So? in AUS they are. How does this make anything a rip-off? You don't know do you?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
TopGunman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:05 pm Reply with quote
@Rahxephon91

Of course you won't go into why AGE is horrible. You most likely haven't even seen it besides the first 3 or 4 episodes.

You're gonna have to prove otherwise because unlike every other Gundam series which everyone has seen by now, AGE haters are mostly twats who go on and on about how bad it is based on superficial such as using a flash drive to activate the Gundam. Not to mention that they STILL believe the rumours that have been proven wrong such as the inclusion of aliens in the story....which by the way, is another crappy element of 00.

Sorry, but as someone who's watched EVERY Gundam series to date (except G Gundam), I can honestly say 00 is the weakest. It was very slow at times, the characters were modeled on the Wing boys, and Setsuna's bitching about how God isn't real gets so bloody annoying.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:32 pm Reply with quote
TopGunman wrote:
@Rahxephon91

Of course you won't go into why AGE is horrible. You most likely haven't even seen it besides the first 3 or 4 episodes.

Fine.

The first arc of Age has a decent character in Flit, but dear god the pacing. We waste tons of time on this boring colony where no real interesting things happen. We get maybe a few morality plays that feel written by a 10 year old. And we have boring characters like Emily who's sole purpose is to whine about Flit. Really Age has possibly the worst female characters in Gundam. They either serve to make babies or be plot motivations for the male characters. Outside of Flit and maybe the Captain, the first arc's cast is incredibly weak. And even the villains aren't interesting.

In arc 2 we have the same terrible pacing problems. Asume or whatever his name was is again a cool character potentially. He's trying to not live in the shadow of his father. But yet there's an episode where he fights a simulation of his dad and he's about to fight again and then we cut away from something totally unrelated to that plot and it really never comes into a play. A well paced anime show would have an entire episode revolved around that plot, not the terrible Age.

Then you again have the lame supprot cast who don't do anything. Asume's relationship his his gf is terribly developed. She esstiantly likes him because he's nice and saved her, nothign else. It's terrible.

The show treats whatever Asume's rivial's name was as a big deal yet, really all we saw of thier friendhsip was a lame montage. Yet it's a big deal, how can it be a big deal if I don't care and I don't care because I never was given the time to.

Then arc 2 ends pretty apurbtly and we are thrown arc 3. Arc 3 has Kira Yamato 2, but even more annoying. We have the very lame "oh the enemies are good because I meet this sick girl". That was a lame episode, full of just lame writing. "LOOK CARE BECAUSE THIS IS A SICK LITTLE GIRL!". Never mind the big bad's plan in Age is ridicously stupid. Oh and Aseumu is the worst father ever and the show seems not to care, not even his wife. Again worst female characters ever, it's quite offensive.

There that's all I remember about Age. No I have not completed it, I have 10 episodes left.
Rahxephon91 wrote:
TopGunman wrote:
Gundam AGE isn't the masterpiece that the UC, AC, AW, CC are, but like SEED and SEED Destiny, it's just supposed to be an action pop corn anime, looking at it from that angle, that makes it a good Gundam series. In fact, I dare say it was BETTER than 00 for various reasons.

I'm looking forward to the AG timeline being expanded.

But just excusing it as "action pop corn anime" doesn't sit well.

You say Age may have better writing then 00. I find that to be utterly false. 00 at least season 1 tackles real world aspects and presents a pretty realistic world and conflict, far beyond most Gundam shows.

Age doesn't do any of this. Even the main conflict is hilariously stupid and the show does a poor job at trying to make it seem like anything other then bad. How does making more conflict to make a better mankind that will have grown up in war and anger make sense as a goal?

Are the jovians( I man martians) supposed to be sympathetic? Well the show tries to make them that in extremely hackneyed ways. OH LOOK A SICKLY LITTLE GIRL! FEEL BAD FOR HER BECAUSE SHE IS GOING TO DIE. Ok yet everyone else on this side is extremely narrow minded and following a genocidal minaic who's plan makes even less sense then Durandel's Destiny plan.

At least in 00 you have the constant question that CB may in fact just be terrorists. There's some grey in 00 and its not totally forced. The antagonists aren't all bad, some are just doing their job. Some have been affected by the Gundam's. There's actual consequence in 00.

But beyond this Age just fails on so many fronts.

The show is so totally crappily paced. Who the heck would you care if the 2nd gens protags are in conflict? You had like a sec where they are friends. I sure have no real idea that these are friends. This entire relationship is handled in the most cliched way possible. Cliche doesn't equal bad, but jesus christ was this part the most predictable part. There was no depth here, just the show making a statement that these people are friends(without developing it) and then making them enemies and we are supposed to care. Also the char clone wanted a family and this plot came out of nowhere.

The female characters a the worst in the history of the series. They have no character and are there to only serve the male characters. They are baby makers, love things(because they sure aren't relationships), and plot motivators in that they die and it ques a characters anger.

I'm sure there's more like the terrible 3rd gen main character who's insane crying somehow makes characters entire personalities change for no reason. The stupid logic of Ansem going a pirate and becoming a terrible father. But I can't remember. Pretty much everything about this show is bad. It's pretty indefensible.

Quote:
You're gonna have to prove otherwise because unlike every other Gundam series which everyone has seen by now, AGE haters are mostly twats who go on and on about how bad it is based on superficial such as using a flash drive to activate the Gundam.
That's not stupid, poor pacing and characters are. Age has this in fold.
Quote:
which by the way, is another crappy element of 00.
Yes the movie and 2nd season of 00 weren't very good. Still less offensive then Age.

Quote:
Sorry, but as someone who's watched EVERY Gundam series to date (except G Gundam), I can honestly say 00 is the weakest.
I've seen every Gundam show as well, and yes I think 00 thanks to season 2 is weak. That doesn't mean it's a rip-off.

Quote:
It was very slow at times,
Yes season 1 was. And it was good. Season 1 takes it time to set-up the world and explore each aspect of the premise. I never felt anything in season 1 was filler or poorly paced. Can't say that about age or even wing.

Quote:
the characters were modeled on the Wing boys, and Setsuna's
Um no they weren't. I already proved otherwise. So, your going to have to actually back this up. There's nothing quite special about their characters, but they aren't at all like the Wing boys. Unless you just think being pretty makes them copies, which is of course stupid.

Quote:
bitching about how God isn't real gets so bloody annoying.
And saying "I'll kill you" doesn't. Either way it doesn't matter. It doesn't prove how 00 is a rip-off. No one has yet to do so.

What are the simularaties beyond the superficial?

Team of Gundams? Yes in 00 they are actually a team, not so in Wing. And even then, in Wing they are gurrelia fighters who's motivation is tied to revolution of the colonies. There is no organization like CB in Wing and the Gundam's actually work together and have compltly different motivations.

Setsuna and Herro. Yes, seemingly emotionless characters scared by role. Similiar? No doubt? A rip off? No. These kind of anime protags are nothing new and both are completely different. Herro is kind of a psychopath. Setsuna really is'nt. You say they have poor sociol skills, but that really undermines the why and how, the actual important part. Setsuna isn't deliberately acting this way, he's a screwed up person and that's why he keeps his distance. He's trying to find something in life. That is'nt like the stand-offish and arrogant Herro.

Terrible princess character. Yes, in 00 she is terrible and pointless and even worse in season 2. But I also hate Relena.

What are the other similarities? I really can't think of anything, other then small things that don't add up or mean anything. Unless you really want to nit pick and say inane things like "both have a male dude using a Gundam thats not good at CQ=rip-off". If so then Jesus, I want to stay away from Gundam talk as much as possible.

Last edited by Rahxephon91 on Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:53 pm; edited 2 times in total
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:46 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Gundam 00 owes more to Full Metal Panic! than it does to Gundam Wing.

***Secret global extralegal paramilitary organisation tasked with peacekeeping and stopping wars.

***Organisation has a stealthy advanced custom-built mothership from where they launch their super-advanced robotic machines from.

***Said mothership is commanded by a female tactical genius.

***Young Arabian boy who grows up in a war-torn country, gets turned into a child soldier by a psychopathic older male who takes an interest in him.

***Boy ends up with said paramilitary organisation, with a busty female who drinks too much and a wisecracking sniper team-mate.

***But boy's ex-mentor isn't too happy and attempts to test and defeat him using another advanced machine. Boy holds a grudge against the man who turned him into a killer.

Now, which series was I talking about? The answer, of course, is both.

You are taking a ton of liberty with Full Metal Panic and to a certain degree Gundam 00.

In the original novel Sagara is Japanese (and in the other material his at least half Japanese), and you attempt to be combining Gauron and Kalinin into one person. Gauron was never Sagara's mentor he was just some guy who had an interest in him that Sagara shot in the head because he was on the opposite side. Kalinin was the person who trained Sagara and his not Psychotic and Sagara doesn't hate him.

Also you claim that Lockon is some wisecracking Sniper like Kurz when his not (My intense dislike of Celestial Being would probably be less if they did have a wisecracking member of the team).

The big busty woman who drinks a lot was made popular by Misato from Evangelion.

There is a reason why Super Robot Wars Z2 attached Celestial Being and the Wing boys together because they do have a lot of similarities.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:27 pm Reply with quote
What are the similarities? Are they actually anything other then superficial. People proclaimed from the first trailers for 00 that it was a Wing rip-off. Why? Because it was pretty boy's piloting several Gundams. Thats all it was then and that's all it really is now. Similarities doesn't equal a rip-off. If they do, I guess every Gundam show, no mech show is a rip-off.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:38 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
^
Not quite. Even discounting re-releases, Neon Genesis Evangelion is the all-time highest-selling by a country mile.

Since data pre-2000 is rather hard to come by, Evangelion (and other shows of that era) are hard to compare to things 2000 forward, and generally isn't a very enlightening comparison anyway.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:51 pm Reply with quote
TopGunman wrote:
@Rahxephon91

Its a horribly misogynistic (even by Gundam standards!) badly paced mess of a show filled with characters who's actions make no sense (again, even by Gundam standards!) and who do things for reasons that make no sense other than thats what the plot requires.

In short, its really, really terrible and one of the worst shows of any sort I have ever watched.

Yes I have watched all of it.

Yes I have watched Gundam Seed Destiny

Yes I have watched Gundam ZZ
metroid24

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 3:46 pm Reply with quote
DomonX2 wrote:
To be fair, the CE dubs were decent at best. The best thing about those dubs are Lisa Ann Beley, Brian Drummond, Mark Oliver, Trevor Devall, Brad Swaile and Michael Adamthwaite. Matt Hill sucked as Kira. He was annoying and sounded like a surfer, which is still better than Hoshi, but Kira never get a good voice. For Destiny, Kirby Morrow is the best in that dub. Overall, the CE era dubs are pretty decent, but not great. The scripts however are fantastic and very faithful to their Japanese counterpart, as per Bandai Entertainment.

I have to disagree every one of the dub VA were well done matt hill did an amazing I don't know where u got the surfer voice from but I lived near tons of surfers in cali and his voice aint one of a surfer
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4