• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Virus from one of the Advert Things

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RedHotFunk

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:36 pm Reply with quote
When I was browsing ANN on my laptop, I was reading up on the front page for the post:
"FUNimation Adds Vandread Science-Fiction Anime (Update 2)".
I accidentally clicked the link for "Web Image" in the post, and a couple seconds afterward, my AV (Norton) notified me with an attempted attack by a high risk virus. Just wanted to point out that there may potentially be some viruses on some of the adverts as it would seem.

As well, hopefully this is the right forum to post in. If not, sorry in advance!
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 2:32 am Reply with quote
RedHotFunk wrote:
When I was browsing ANN on my laptop, I was reading up on the front page for the post:
"FUNimation Adds Vandread Science-Fiction Anime (Update 2)".
I accidentally clicked the link for "Web Image" in the post, and a couple seconds afterward, my AV (Norton) notified me with an attempted attack by a high risk virus. Just wanted to point out that there may potentially be some viruses on some of the adverts as it would seem.

As well, hopefully this is the right forum to post in. If not, sorry in advance!

Could you tell me what Norton reported ? I'm not finding anything on that link, and it isn't possible for me to disable it without disabling all the similar ads across the site.

-t
RedHotFunk

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 4:13 am Reply with quote
It reported:
Http Misleading Application Detection;

It was connected to:
clickadssystems.com

I've not looked up anything else, but to confirm, I clicked the link again and Norton once again detected and blocked the same attack. hope that can help a bit
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 7:11 pm Reply with quote
RedHotFunk: providing a screencap would help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Dessa

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:18 am Reply with quote
On a similar note, twice this morning (once going from an Encyclopedia search to the Naruto (TV) page, once going fro the Naruto Shippuuden (TV) page to the episodes page for that series), I had to immediately close my window because it was taken over by one of those error messages that warns you that spyware is trying to be installed, and you need to install this other program to stop it, and if you try to cancel, it tries to force-install the program anyway (obviously, I have to force an exit out of this immediately, so I can't get screenshots). Both times, I was working in another window at the time, so I can't tell you if it was a particular ad causing it, but it occurred almost immediately after entering the page, and usually the ads load last for me.
randomanimefan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Same here.

This security warning deal is happening "randomly", so I'm hoping it's not a hack of all of ANN. I continue to surf around here very carefully for now.

I had an "onlypureclicks" with the suspicious .cn domain for me warning reference in my browser. Because my browser automatically threw up a warning pretty much immediately (takes up the entire window), and like heck I'll ignore it, I can't provide any more information, sorry. Far as I can tell, it might be coming from one of the ANN ads.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1