• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Summer 2012 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:18 pm Reply with quote
superdry wrote:
HitokiriShadow wrote:
But either way, Monday through Wednesday is pretty dead, even after the last of the shows start next week.

That Monday through Wednesday is nice for me to catch up on backlog since all the shows I want to check out air from Thursday through Sunday (including the one spring show that's continuing - Accel World).

Yeah, I really need that dead zone. My Sunday is particularly packed with shows (3 from this season plus 5-6 from this one) and Saturday isn't much better. And I usually work both of those days, so I don't have much time for watching anime.

Quote:

There should be no confusion if looking at the times through JST. But, yes, if charts give stuff in different time zones the it could get confusing.

I'm not sure if the chart I used had times or not (it was the one from the AoD thread), but I just looked at the date since that was the part I was concerned about. I didn't actually look at the one Ryan posted.

giapet wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Of course its a valid reason to not like the show, its just important to keep in mind that they established her this way for a reason.

But no one was arguing whether they had a reason for it; the original question was whether their presentation of her motivation and the contents of that motivation are reasonable reasons not to like the show. And it sounds like they are, so we're all good now. Smile

No one was arguing about whether or not there was a reason for her character being established as pushy because that was, at best, very tangential to the actual thing that was being discussed. What was being argued was whether or not Konatsu had a reason for making the club, as someone was making factually incorrect statements about her goals. Konatsu's personality or whether she was likable wasn't the issue.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Concerning Tari Tari: Frankly, I think people are reaching to make the Wakana/Minchi comparison. She's not the same kind of character at all, and even her being standoffish to the heroine's initial overtures (which is where people seem to be drawing the comparison from) had a different tone to it and different motivations. I didn't once think of Minchi while watching her in this first episode.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Concerning Tari Tari: Frankly, I think people are reaching to make the Wakana/Minchi comparison. She's not the same kind of character at all, and even her being standoffish to the heroine's initial overtures (which is where people seem to be drawing the comparison from) had a different tone to it and different motivations. I didn't once think of Minchi while watching her in this first episode.

Yeah, you've got to really stretch to make the comparison, but I do see why people do it (compulsive needs to compare shows that are visually similar, even if they share very little in common otherwise. See aslo: Kokoro Connect and K-On). I'm pretty interested in finding out what is up with Wakana, why she quit the music program, and why she's so angry.

Anyway, my ultimate point re: Konatsu is that when the main character is set up with an obvious personality flaw like that, which is called out by another character in the very first episode, its probably going to be a major aspect of her character development.

Its like the "they didn't explain everything!" complaints. Its the first episode. Things have to develop from here, of course things won't be explained, characters may not be 100% sympathetic, thats what makes stories, stories!
Key

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
I'm pretty interested in finding out what is up with Wakana, why she quit the music program, and why she's so angry.

While it's not clearly alluded to in the first episode, I believe I saw somewhere a note that spoiler[her mother has recently died], which could easily explain her behavior, why she quit singing, and why the teacher was taking such concern with her.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
superdry

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:24 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Quote:

There should be no confusion if looking at the times through JST. But, yes, if charts give stuff in different time zones the it could get confusing.

I'm not sure if the chart I used had times or not (it was the one from the AoD thread), but I just looked at the date since that was the part I was concerned about. I didn't actually look at the one Ryan posted.

Ah, looking at the mod-edited post with the updated summer charts (links to charts from Cowboybebimbop) it does show the times in the funny way where 0100 is 2500. So, if a show airs pasts midnight, the days that listed make sense unless the Japanese don't follow that when it comes to TV scheduling.

I do find it funny that it looks like the typos for when Hagare Yuusha no Estitica and Dakara Boku wa, H ga Dekinai air are still there. 10:30AM and 11:00AM? Unless that is correct and the two shows do air in the late mornings on AT-X.

Last edited by superdry on Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
4nBlue

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:42 pm Reply with quote
superdry wrote:
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Quote:

Ah, looking at the mod-edited post with the updated summer charts (links to charts from Cowboybebimbop) it does show the times in the funny way where 0100 is 2500. So, if a show airs pasts midnight, the days that listed make sense.

I do find it funny that it looks like the typos for when Hagare Yuusha no Estitica and Dakara Boku wa, H ga Dekinai air are still there. 10:30AM and 11:00AM? Unless that is correct and the two shows do air in the late mornings on AT-X.

That is correct. AT-X will be airing both shows twice on friday. First airing will be late morning and second in the usual late night slot. Other stations will be airing both of them past midnight.
dandelion_rose

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:22 pm Reply with quote
daisy23 wrote:
As someone who played Arcana Famiglia game, I'm pretty pissed by the AWFUL adaption. Well this is Chiaki Kon, it's my fault for having high expectations...
Just you know: Felicitá is one of the best and most badass otome heroines ever.

I don't know about Chiaki Kon much, but I suspected as much -- anime adaptations of fangirl material are usually extremely bad. At least they had the decency to choose a female director (though it probably gave little effect), I find that many times what happens is that a fangirl franchise gets a male anime director who struggles to translate what made a character so appealing to female readers on to screen.

I agree that Felicita is pretty badass. One of the things about manga or anime adaptations of otome / dating sim games is that the main character stops being 'you' and has to stand as a character on his / her own. Felicita is interesting enough to do that.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Wow, Bamboo's review of that Tari show makes it sound rather...Stepfordesque
dandelion_rose

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
Wow, Bamboo's review of that Tari show makes it sound rather...Stepfordesque

As someone who hasn't watched Tari Tari, it was a short and excellent preview. I know exactly what to expect should I watch it.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Bamboo wrote:
There are probably a few more girls that I've missed

Actually you're one girl over. There's only three of them. You missed the two guys.

Most "cute girls doing x" shows have no male characters (ie. K-ON) which is why yuri shipping is so prominent (there's literally no straight option). While there's nothing yet to suggest any sort of potential romance, Hanasaku Iroha did have a prominent romance subplot so Tari Tari could have one too.

The ideallic mood is fine with me. I don't need constant reminders of how much life sucks Laughing
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:

Most "cute girls doing x" shows have no male characters (ie. K-ON) which is why yuri shipping is so prominent (there's literally no straight option). While there's nothing yet to suggest any sort of potential romance, Hanasaku Iroha did have a prominent romance subplot so Tari Tari could have one too.

Not that Tari Tari and Hanasaku have much staff in common other than PA Works itself.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Still, it's not very often that guys and girls are put together in a group and romance doesn't blossom *looks at Kokoro Connect*.

But if Tari Tari has the guys and girls stay completely as friends, then that alone is pretty noteworthy!

Last edited by Vaisaga on Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Bamboo wrote:
Tari Tari is everything you would expect from a slice of life show about four girls who want to start their own choral ensemble

Shouldn't that be three girls? There's Konatsu, Wakana, and Sawa as far as I know. There wasn't really any other prominent female other than I guess the teacher and the old lady who directs the choir. And it's pretty obvious that both the Austrian guy and the Badminton guy will join the choral ensemble as well.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Tari Tari is everything you would expect from a slice of life show about four girls who want to start their own choral ensemble

Oh come on. Now you're just taunting me, aren't you?
giapet
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Does Bamboo's Tari Tari screencap look slightly as though the gal has a black eye to anyone else? Or is my contrast set too low?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 18 of 62