• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Akira Toriyama Comments on Live-Action Dragonball Film

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:31 pm Reply with quote
fighter: It means to wash, but it can be used in the present-progressive tense.
roanhammer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:31 pm Reply with quote
When the dub said "I'll send you to the next dimension!"
Did they mean this movie?
testorschoice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:39 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

testor: testor:
Quote:
There is no "dangling participle" in the Japanese language.

Sentaku...

The different "sentaku" words in Japanese are nouns or participles, but they're not "dangling participles." Anyways, back to your claim, "Goku" isn't a participle, dangling or not.

Quote:
Quote:
Now this is really getting off topic, but Dean Cain, the tall, fit, good looking actor they casted as Superman in Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman, was born Dean George Tanaka.

But he actually looks and talks like Superman. That white boy does not look like or sound like Goku.

Now we're talking about acting and direction--but that's different from ascribing human ethnicities to alien characters.

Quote:
But hey, SNL tried to use the same argument for why they couldn't get a black actor to play Obama. They said he was Japanese, so they weren't technically racist. Rolling Eyes

The above is perilously close to, if not in, rules violation territory, but we're talking about fictional alien characters, not a real human president. Also, the above is simplifies the complicated issue. President Barack Obama was born to a African father and an Caucasian mother. Saturday Night Live performer Fred Armisen was born to parents of Caucasian, Japanese, and Venezuelan descent.

http://fightthesmears.com/articles/5/birthcertificate

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0035488/bio

Quote:
Nevertheless, I'll give you a freebie. Lana Lang is a Midwestern red-head; so why is she played by an Inuit-Chinese girl in Smallville? I'm guessing in that case, they wanted someone who actually looked like she had a small-town background, since there are so few of them nowadays in the States.

Smallville actress Kristin Kreuk is a Canadian of Dutch and Chinese ancestry. She is neither Inuit nor from the States. But this is, again, way off-topic.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0471036/bio

Quote:
Quote:
You know, they casted an Asian man to play Spike Spiegel in the anime.

And American cartoons sometimes have white people voicing black people. What's your point? The difference is they're playing a voice, not the actual person. Plus, how many white people who are fluent in Japanese can also voice-act in it? That's a whole different skill in itself.

As far as we know, Goku is not an "actual person." We have an Asian actor playing a character named Spiegel, and we have a non-Asian actor playing a non-Human character who was originally named Kakarot. There is a discrepancy, but not the one you claim.

Quote:
Quote:
But it was silly for Gatsu to claim "Hollywood can't allow Asians to direct or even star in Asian roles" in a thread about a Hollywood film directed by an Asian American with Asian and Asian-American actors.

It was silly, even though Cliff validated my argument. And you still haven't tried to counter my Avatar counter-argument, either. Anyway, the guy's not directing; he's subbing. A real director would take control of the project his way, not the studio's way. And the "actors"[I use the term loosely for most of them.] are being cast to read lines and fill parts, not to actually emulate their characters. If
they couldn't find anyone who didn't work on an American production, they'd cast white people in their place in a second, which is what happened in the case of Avatar.

We were discussing a blanket statement ("Hollywood can't allow Asians to direct or even star in Asian roles") that was not validated. You made a generalization and demanded that other people prove it's false in all cases. However, it's the person making the generalization who has to show it's true in all cases. Only one counter-example is needed to disprove a generalization, but one example is not enough to prove it. Anyways, Avatar has an Asian-American director, so even Avatar doesn't support this blanket statement. Please stop trying to re-define words like "directing" and move goal posts.

Quote:
Quote:
Goku is not a real baby boy name in Japan.

It's not a real baby boy name in America, either, but emo-boy has it anyway.

Exactly. It's not a real baby boy name in Japan or America--but one of your claims depends this being false. You just acknowledged that a claim of yours was groundless.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:10 pm Reply with quote
this whole argument is a little ridiculous considering Dragon Ball takes place in a fictional universe. That and the fact the only characters who look even distinctly Asian are, Muten Roshi and possibly Krillin.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The different "sentaku" words in Japanese are nouns or participles, but they're not "dangling participles."

The ku is, though.

Quote:
Anyways, back to your claim, "Goku" isn't a participle, dangling or not.

Sengoku Wars? Razz

Quote:
Now we're talking about acting and direction--but that's different from ascribing human ethnicities to alien characters.

Well, Goku still doesn't look like a white teenager, even if he's an alien. There's about one still shot at the wedding where you could argue he looks like that, and even then his hair is bushier than the guy they cast.

Quote:
Saturday Night Live performer Fred Armisen was born to parents of Caucasian, Japanese, and Venezuelan descent.

Yes, but the guy still isn't black.

Quote:
Smallville actress Kristin Kreuk is a Canadian of Dutch and Chinese ancestry. She is neither Inuit nor from the States.

Ok, you got me there. Heard it somewhere.

Quote:
As far as we know, Goku is not an "actual person."

Actual character. You know what I mean.

Quote:
We have an Asian actor playing a character named Spiegel, and we have a non-Asian actor playing a non-Human character who was originally named Kakarot. There is a discrepancy, but not the one you claim.

The discrepancy is that one casting decision is based on a limited medium, while another is based on racial politics.

Quote:
Anyways, Avatar has an Asian-American director, so even Avatar doesn't support this blanket statement.

If he were a nobody, it'd be a different story. I'm guessing the only reason he even got his Sixth Sense gig was he could shoot it on the cheap.
testorschoice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:16 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Quote:
The different "sentaku" words in Japanese are nouns or participles, but they're not "dangling participles."

The ku is, though.

Quote:
Anyways, back to your claim, "Goku" isn't a participle, dangling or not.

Sengoku Wars? Razz

The "ku" in "sentaku" is not a "dangling participle." Please don't use the terms "dangling participle," "participle," and other words that you don't understand. The "goku" is "Sengoku Wars" is different from the "goku" of "Son Goku." Neither are "dangling participles." Please don't cite words in a language you don't understand.

Quote:
Quote:

Well, Goku still doesn't look like a white teenager, even if he's an alien. There's about one still shot at the wedding where you could argue he looks like that, and even then his hair is bushier than the guy they cast.

Quote:
Saturday Night Live performer Fred Armisen was born to parents of Caucasian, Japanese, and Venezuelan descent.

Yes, but the guy still isn't black.

Please don't make ethnic assumptions based on the looks of a fictional, drawn alien character. As demonstrated by Dean Cain, Fred Armisen, and Kristin Kreuk, people have enough trouble making ethnic assumptions based on the looks of real humans. President Obama is half-Caucasian. Fred Armisen is half-Caucasian. Neither is arguably all "black"--no matter how fraught with subjectivity that term is. All of this is seriously off-topic.

Quote:
Quote:
We have an Asian actor playing a character named Spiegel, and we have a non-Asian actor playing a non-Human character who was originally named Kakarot. There is a discrepancy, but not the one you claim.

The discrepancy is that one casting decision is based on a limited medium, while another is based on racial politics.

Quote:
Anyways, Avatar has an Asian-American director, so even Avatar doesn't support this blanket statement.

If he were a nobody, it'd be a different story. I'm guessing the only reason he even got his Sixth Sense gig was he could shoot it on the cheap.

Again, you're raising the issue of racial politics about a fictional alien character from a fictional world. Again, Avatar is off-topic and actually disproves your blanket statement. Please stop before burying yourself further.
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:32 am Reply with quote
Ladara7 wrote:
We all have such low expectations about this movie that there is a good chance we'll be pleasantly surprised. Many great works of literature have been retelling (DB itself was a retelling of journey to the west) and ended up better known than the original, so who knows?

Name several examples. Heck, name one from both TV and Movies that far surpassed the original.

YOU CAN'T!! It's like comparing apples and oranges. And the problem is that when most of us are "exposed" to the original, very rarely are we gonna accept "new" versions of the source material as canon.

Look at Star Wars for example. The fandom was all shits and giggles when Episode 1 was announced to come out, and then got angry over a retarded alien that "spoke" Jamaican.

And let's be honest, Hollywood has had a semi-dismal track record when it has come to adaptations. While they have had a few bright spots (Spiderman comes to mind) alot of it is crap. Even some of the blockbusters needs some scrutinizing; when a movie has a title concerning Transformers, I want to see wall-to-wall Robots duking it out causing chaos and mayhem, not "A harem of awesomely bad human actors, guest starring "The Transformers", where more time was dedicated to a whore who tries to look smart and thinks she knows what sort of fuel setup is on a beater than on the fight scenes!!

Heck, you even have arguments when US stations try to import shows from overseas and try to re-adapt them here. Look at Top Gear. 3 guys talking about cars and doing crazy stuff. Try their antics here in the USA, ooo, can't say the Ford Mustang is a POS car cause it doesn't have IRS, we might offend Ford and they might not want to advertise with us!!
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:13 am Reply with quote
Hon'ya: For me so far, the only good remakes are Wizard of Oz, The Ten Commandments, and Scarface.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:39 am Reply with quote
BTW, I just had to add this comment from Alan Moore:

Quote:
"The main reason why comics can’t work as films is largely because everybody who is ultimately in control of the film industry is an accountant. These people may be able to add up and balance the books, but in every other area they are stupid and incompetent and don’t have any talent"

More rants at the link. Bravo, Mr. Moore. Bravo.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:04 am Reply with quote
That's a rather arrogant claim to make. Especially for someone who produces comics so slooooooooooowly. I'd love to see Moore make a movie himself. There IS talent in Hollywood, people are just so jaded that they refuse to acknowledge as much.
testorschoice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Hon'ya-chan wrote:
Ladara7 wrote:
We all have such low expectations about this movie that there is a good chance we'll be pleasantly surprised. Many great works of literature have been retelling (DB itself was a retelling of journey to the west) and ended up better known than the original, so who knows?

Name several examples. Heck, name one from both TV and Movies that far surpassed the original.

Please re-read what Ladara7 what wrote before launching a multi-paragraph reply over a misinterpretation. Ladara7 didn't write about adaptations that "far surpassed the original" (although some would argue that Stanley Kubrick directed a few films that fit in that category) as you misinterpreted. Ladara7 wrote about retellings that "ended up better known than the original." There are plenty of examples of adaptations that are better known than the original--Kubrick's Dr. Strangelove, Barry Lyndon, and Full Metal Jacket, to name three.

That said, I don't think many people are saying the Dragonball film will end up better known that the original. But no one is saying here that that it will "far surpass the original," as misinterpreted above.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:40 pm Reply with quote
testorschoice wrote:
CCSYueh wrote:
By that logic, any tall, fit, good looking actor of any race could be Supes. (I wonder how people feel or react if they cast a tall Asian guy as Superman in the next movie?

Now this is really getting off topic, but Dean Cain, the tall, fit, good looking actor they casted as Superman in Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman, was born Dean George Tanaka. His father was Roger Tanaka, half-Japanese. "Cain" comes from his adoptive father.

That was Cliff, not me.
On Dean Cain, on the commentary on Lois & Clark the lady who cast it said he was 1/4th Japanese or something like that--that his grandmother was Japanese, so dad was apparently half?
ANYWAY-
she commented he was cast because his eyes looked alien--something about people with Japanese blood in the mix having eyes that look as though they know the secrets of the universe. (Don't scream at me if you feel it's racist--it was her excuse for casting Cain)

Quote:

Top of my head/not even having to think about it--
Most people feel Hitchcock's 2nd take of The Man Who Knew Too Much was superior to the first version he did.

The latest Spiderman movies were a vast improvement on that sad little tv show in the late 70's.

Mr. Burton's original story was sweet, but the movie for Nightmare Before Christmas got the vision across better.

And those are not the only examples.

We have moved forward a bit from the 70's when Bruce Lee was rejected from playing the lead in Kung Fu because he was Asian.

Quote:
How about when Goku stuffs himself with rice bowls?

My mother was born in New York, but spent her childhood in Florida & New Mexico. In my Home Ec class in Utah, they asked us what our favorite breakfast was & every single girl in my class freaked when I said "rice with milk & sugar". Until they all freaked, I never knew it wasn't a common dish, but later I heard it's a southern dish. Don't know, don't care, I infected my daughter with a love for it before she ever liked anime. I also prefer gravy over rice to gravy over potatoes, something else my mom always fixed.
Although I was a bit taken back yesterday when I picked up frozen Teriyaki Bowls from Delimex who, so far as I know, do specialize in Mexican food, not Asian food.

Japan doesn't have the exclusive on rice.

Quote:
Japanese guys do occasionally have 'fros, so that does not preclude Mr. Satan. Dunno who the hell Sharpner is, though-probably a supporting character.

He's the blond voiced by Hiro Yuuki (who said Bulma was his first anime crush on the Weiss Kruez interviews)-classmate of Gohan.

My point it Mr Satan doesn't have to be Japanese. The Briefs don't seem Japanese. Tenshinhan is of the 3 eyed group so I've always seen him as more the 3X3 Eyes group which seems more Indian. Roshi's name sounds Japanese enough, but he looks pretty generically old man. That one friend of Golu's (Upa?) seemed to be native American

Meaning everyone in DBZ doesn't have to be played by Asians.

Quote:
But Vegeta's named after a Japanese garnish, and the names of his attacks can likely be attributed to the fact that he was not raised in an Asian culture.

Vegeta is pride incarnate.
I gamble he's name his attacks in his native tongue
Not to mention, there were 2 races on Vegeta originally so there's also a chance the Saiyans have their share of mixed blood. I've wondered if the Saiyan rulers maybe didn't widen their gene pool considering how technologically advanced the other side was.

Quote:
But she barely does anything, anyway, so she's not important to the story.

She was pretty regular in DB.

And the point is people are taking this as if DB is something sacred like the Bible one can't make a movie version of (although all the movies I've seen made off the Bible change a certain amount of stuff) when DB was a daily grind Toriyama put out to pay the bills. Legend was he was an unemployed graphic artist who didn't really read manga, but was sitting in a restaurant paging thru a manga zine & decided to enter a contest & happened to win. It's not like he grew up wanting to be a manga-ka, but it's something he fell into & was winging it. It's lucky for all of us he did enter that contest (although the DB haters probably wish he hadn't). I remember a Newtype article on Toei where one of the studio execs commented he sort of revolutionized shonen manga because before he hit the scene, shonen zines didn't necessarily pay all that much attention to the art, but his style, since he didn't come up from the ranks of manga fans, was clean & different & inspired the next generation.
Toriyama wasn't like many of the manga artists on the scene today who got into it for a love of manga. He didn't bring past baggage which is why he seemed so fresh & different. You can curse his editor forever for making DB a fighting title. It allegedly was not doing all that well in its first year (where they were searching for the Dragon Balls) & it was his editor who suggested he turn it into a fighting title like Fist of the North Star if he could.

If Toriyama's DB could encompass all these characters from around the world, why the hell can't his fans?
testorschoice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:58 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
testorschoice wrote:
CCSYueh wrote:
By that logic...

Now this is really getting off topic...

That was Cliff, not me.

Thanks for catching that! I meant to reply to Cliffjxn, so I've just put his name in my post.
Overlord Z-ko

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:34 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
when DB was a daily grind Toriyama put out to pay the bills. Legend was he was an unemployed graphic artist who didn't really read manga, but was sitting in a restaurant paging thru a manga zine & decided to enter a contest & happened to win. It's not like he grew up wanting to be a manga-ka, but it's something he fell into & was winging it. It's lucky for all of us he did enter that contest (although the DB haters probably wish he hadn't).

Akira Toriyama created quite a few manga before Dragonball, Including Dr. Slump which was fairly sucessful so this contest legend probably isn't true.

CCSYueh wrote:
You can curse his editor forever for making DB a fighting title. It allegedly was not doing all that well in its first year (where they were searching for the Dragon Balls) & it was his editor who suggested he turn it into a fighting title like Fist of the North Star if he could.

I didn't know this but I am not suprised as most of Toriyama's other titles are less serious and having heard that other changes were made to the manga to make it more appealing. Do you have the source for this?

I am not suprised by Toriyama's reaction. If someone made a movie adaptation of a comic I made that featured changes that drastic I would be a confused as well.
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:20 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:

And the point is people are taking this as if DB is something sacred like the Bible one can't make a movie version of (although all the movies I've seen made off the Bible change a certain amount of stuff) when DB was a daily grind Toriyama put out to pay the bills.

People in the thread are asking for one simple thing: A decent adaptation of the source material that will both appeal to the fans of DB and bring in new folks who haven't even heard of (or weren't born yet) DB.

As it stands, so much of the storyline has been hacked thats been hinted in the trailers alone has caused alot of worry. Of course we're gonna be mad about it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 11