• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Are some anime cliches based on real life?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:54 pm Reply with quote
To look at it from another perspective: whenever a Japanese tourist features in a western cartoon they're depicted taking photos of fire extinguishers etc.
This may be an exaggeration but how often do you see a Japanese tourist without at least one camera slung around their neck?
Cliches often have some basis in reality and while some cliche's may have developed solely through the medium of anime the same could be said for other media - just spend some time on TV Tropes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Sakura from Cardcaptors was sneezing after being in a lake for all of about five seconds; not a realistic portrayal of the common cold, we can all agree. Even if the lake was frozen over (which it wasn't), you don't "get" the common cold by being partially submerged in two feet of liquid water, at all. What you get instead is hypothermia. It takes time for the virus to make full use of the depressed immune response caused by the hypothermia in the host. A couple of hours maybe, but not the near instant onset that is so commonly depicted in Anime and Manga. But a couple of hours is too long for your average romance-Shoujo story, where the kind male lead rescues the heroine from the "deadly" rainstorm... See, this is why I don't watch a lot of romance stories; they are way too formulaic. Though the same can be said about any genre, I can tolerate certain cliches from certain genres better than I can for others.

LordRedhand wrote:
Also Wikipedia is not a reliable source.

Though I wouldn't use Wikipedia as a source for an academic paper, it tends to be fine for general use.
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:31 am Reply with quote
Sloober wrote:

It's not like you go for a dip in a lake and get sick though, which is almost the implication in most anime circumstances.

See when I said taken to a "funnier" extreme, well for a dramatic series you could take a "dramatic" license.
retty

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Something I was wondering about the other day: in Koi Kaze and School Days there are characters whose parents divorce and then each take a kid. Is this normal? SUrely it's better for the kids to stay together. And in Koi Kaze his mum doesn't live too far away but doesn't bother to go see him or to let him see his sister any more. Are Japanese parents really that heartless?

The thing about school nurses I've always thought was really weird. My school didn't have a nurse, let alone a room with loads of beds in it. How ill can you get in school? Do all Japanese schools have these mini wards? Confused
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:34 pm Reply with quote
retty wrote:
Something I was wondering about the other day: in Koi Kaze and School Days there are characters whose parents divorce and then each take a kid. Is this normal? SUrely it's better for the kids to stay together. And in Koi Kaze his mum doesn't live too far away but doesn't bother to go see him or to let him see his sister any more. Are Japanese parents really that heartless?

Good point. I don't know if its normal in Japan to split the children, but it just doesn't make sense to do so. I would think most judges (at least in many countries) would demand that the children be kept together. In fact, I don't know if the parents are allowed to do something like that in New Zealand; children aren't property that can be negotiated and bargained for like that. Of course not every country has the same laws and cultural sensibilities, but the right to children having both their parents around (whether the parents want them or not) is fairly universal, I suspect.

retty wrote:
The thing about school nurses I've always thought was really weird. My school didn't have a nurse, let alone a room with loads of beds in it. How ill can you get in school? Do all Japanese schools have these mini wards? Confused

My high school has about 1,500 students, and we had a nurse with a sickbay. Sure it was cramped, but it did have four or five beds in it, plus defibrillator equipment and a whole stock of over-the-counter medicines. Very popular place right after lunch finished, for some unfathomable reason (ha ha ha).
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:43 pm Reply with quote
retty wrote:

I don't know about Japan, but there was always a nurse's office in my school; elementary school had two rooms (one for physical exams, one with a bed), junior and senior high school had multiple rooms and at least three beds. Both Jr. and Sr. high had about 1500 students total, elementary had maybe 600-900.
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:14 pm Reply with quote
My senior high had about 600 students, we had a small nurse's office with 1 bed (which I did in fact use once- I drug myself to school with the flu since we'd just started a new semester and I didn't want to miss too much class. Not a good idea.)

I think it depends on where you live and how many students/how much money your school has. I'd imagine the tuition-collecting Japanese high schools have more money for such things- not that I know for sure.
Mika Miaka

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:41 am Reply with quote
LOL @ OP examples Very Happy

I think cliches are only cliches because they are true, yah? Razz
Hannish Lightning

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:58 am Reply with quote
You know the cliche in anime how some teachers are really corrupt and don't care/hate some of the students and think the thuggish students as worthless scum? Is that real?
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:24 am Reply with quote
David.Seth wrote:
Walking in on someone who is using the bath the other being high school/jr. high students getting rushed to a nurses office for the smallest of injuries.

Ha! You know, I just recently noticed this myself!

If I took all these cliches as being truth, then I can also assume:
-Every high school boy in Japan is a pansy who whines incessantly about life.

-High school girls are very aggressive but incredibly needy. Some can kick a 300 lb man through a wall with little effort and not even break a nail.

-Someone's on a rooftop, waiting, to throw a pan on unsuspecting people who make odd comments. Timing is critical.

-Every Japanese teenager owns a mech.

-Female breasts must be scarce in Japan.

-Schoolgirl underwear is only available in white, until the school uniform is removed and it instantly develops lace and color.

-Western culture draws stereotypical Japanese incorrectly, given the slanted eyes when it's quite clear Japanese eyes, especially on females, take up half the face.

-Japan has the greatest population of cats on earth.

Just a few more to smile at.
Smile
Skylark

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:48 am Reply with quote
You're forgetting that all japanese female underwear has a pretty little bow tie at the front.. I don't think I've ever seen a pair of anime panties without the nice little pink bow at the front lulz. And they always look smaller when they aren't being worn (because of course usually they appear when the protagonist finds them accidentally, and of course the protagonist has the strong internal debate: to sniff or not to sniff, that is the question!)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
eyeresist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Related to themes of sickness and parenting:

In anime, it seems that, when characters get flu, it's always a life-or-death situation requiring a loved one always by their side to replace the wet cloth on their forehead. In fact, sick characters generally require the whole family to sit around them all the time, looking at them intently - and it's usually just a cold! If this reflects reality at all, it seems to be another example of Japanese paranoia about illness.

Also, the majority of teenage anime characters are orphans, or have at least one parent dead, or are living separately from their parents. This suggests that, if you are Japanese, you shouldn't have children, or else you'll probably end up dead by the time your child enters high school.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:34 pm Reply with quote
eyeresist wrote:
Also, the majority of teenage anime characters are orphans, or have at least one parent dead, or are living separately from their parents. This suggests that, if you are Japanese, you shouldn't have children, or else you'll probably end up dead by the time your child enters high school.

Well, half the time it's just that the kid is living on their own because their parents are always working, usually in another country.
Showsni

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:47 am Reply with quote
retty wrote:

Well, American parents must be; remember Sister Sister? And the Parent Trap, for that matter. (Though that's originally - German? I think.) (Why's it always twins?)

My primary school had about 420 pupils, with a nurse; normally you'd just sit in reception if you were sick. There was a bucket, with sawdust, and some books there.
My secondary school (a grammar) had about 800 pupils; no full time nurse or room. If you were sick, sit in reception, and the secretary would take care of you until your parents came.
My college does have a nurse, and she has a room (though no beds). Um, I guess Oxford University has an awful lot of students.

You can't get a cold from being cold. Though it might lower your immune system's effectiveness, maybe.

I'm always careful to lock the door, so that no one can walk in on me. In fact, when the lock was broken, I'd spend a while carefully stopping up the door with towels and dragging things in front before taking a bath. I think I'm a little gymnophobic.
arachneia

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:35 am Reply with quote
I always wonder about the whole pushing-my-glasses-up-with-my-middle-finger deal.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3