• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
I Loathe Inconsistent Moderation

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:38 am Reply with quote
Thanks, amigos. I don't think I even noticed that small print at the bottom of the page before. Wow, Tony, I certainly understand why you use just K. in your nic - your real handle is quite a mouthful! And, of course, from now on when I read your posts, I'll imagine the words are being spoken by the Laotian neighbour in "King of the Hill."

I was also amused that Bamboo Dong is supposed to be her real name, but I still can't help but think my leg is being pulled. Poor kid if it's true.

Sadly, Cloe is not listed there. No matter! I checked out her website. She's talented and keeeeeeeeewt! Pity that she's young enough to my daughter because unless she has a wicked Electra Complex, I'm totally SOL. Crying or Very sad
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:21 am Reply with quote
It's already been said, but... each moderator has his or her own style. Newer moderators are generally nicer and politer (that will wear off in time, so enjoy it while you can). After longer service, the style may be more gruff.

There is no specific guideline on whether to {remove a post / edit it to bleep out offending material / respond with a sharp comment}. Some say tomahto, some say tomaytah. Personally, I believe in letting people's idiocy be remain in the public eye, and respond to it with sharp wit and sarcasm. That shows others where we draw the line, and the lesson sticks in people's minds (I hope). Other moderators believe that the offending material should be entirely removed (and I sometimes agree -- the user who posted a fond wish that Pres. Obama be assassinated, in a recent thread, is no longer with us, and nor are his posts).

What matters isn't necessarily how we respond to offending posts, but that we generally agree on what constitutes an offending post. If action is taken, the style of the action may vary -- but everybody will usually agree that something had to be done.

For the borderline cases, we have a secret forum (shhh....) where we discuss whether to spank or scold.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:47 am Reply with quote
Well, from what I've seen so far in my brief time here, ANN seems to be pretty well moderated - a good balance between keeping order and letting discussion flow appears to be in place. (Naturally, I reserve the right to change my opinion on this if a SINGLE! ONE! OF! MY! PRECIOUS! WORDS! is ever tampered with again...)

I've adminned/moderated (non-anime) message boards myself, so I know first hand it can be a task for which the word "thankless" seems to have been coined.

Anyway you all can take delight in the fact that I think you're all doing a great job - except for that Cloe. She's just awful. Laughing
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:00 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Well, from what I've seen so far in my brief time here, ANN seems to be pretty well moderated - a good balance between keeping order and letting discussion flow appears to be in place. (Naturally, I reserve the right to change my opinion on this if a SINGLE! ONE! OF! MY! PRECIOUS! WORDS! is ever tampered with again...)

You have no idea how much I wanted to edit that post of yours, just because...

Blood- wrote:
I've adminned/moderated (non-anime) message boards myself, so I know first hand it can be a task for which the word "thankless" seems to have been coined.

Volunteer tasks are often thankless. In the past year, the mods here have been called everything from tyrants to nazis to retarded to... well, fill in the blanks. And those were the polite moiety.

Blood- wrote:
Anyway you all can take delight in the fact that I think you're all doing a great job - except for that Cloe. She's just awful. Laughing

Yah, but nobody has the heart to tell her.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cloe

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:42 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
Blood- wrote:

Yah, but nobody has the heart to tell her.

Thanks, guys, you're totally awesome.

*curls into the fetal position under a blanket in a dark corner*
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Way to go, abunai - you made Cloe feel bad. I hope you are proud of yourself.

*glares self-righteously*
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

I was also amused that Bamboo Dong is supposed to be her real name, but I still can't help but think my leg is being pulled. Poor kid if it's true.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. See, it's funny, because in America, the most common surnames in China means PENIS.

Nyurrrrrrrrrrrrrr
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Blood-, you are just plain low. Rolling Eyes

SakechanBD wrote:
See, it's funny, because in America, the most common surnames in China means PENIS.

Call me nitpicking, but I just can't find any of top 10 or even top 20 can be misread in THAT way. IIRC yours is #39; for the record, mine is #3.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Actually dormcat, #2 very much means PENIS. Cool
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:09 pm Reply with quote
DerekTheRed wrote:

Never have remotely thought about it (along with other terms... I only know four out of seven). Anyway, thanks for letting me know. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop

Poor Yankee pitcher.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:16 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Poor Yankee pitcher.

Ah, but it's not so bad. They actually pronounce it "Wahng" on all the sports broadcasts over here. They even get Matsuzaka's first name right.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:38 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
Blood- wrote:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. See, it's funny, because in America, the most common surnames in China means PENIS.

Nyurrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Oh come on, give me a LITTLE more credit for sophisticated wit than that. If it were merely a matter of having the last name Dong, it wouldn't rate more than a raised eyebrow at best. But BAMBOO Dong? If you can't bring yourself to snicker at that image, than truly you have a heart of stone.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

Oh come on, give me a LITTLE more credit for sophisticated wit than that. If it were merely a matter of having the last name Dong, it wouldn't rate more than a raised eyebrow at best. But BAMBOO Dong? If you can't bring yourself to snicker at that image, than truly you have a heart of stone.

Yeah you're right, you're a blistering sharp wit for that. How sophisticated and droll of you.

Or did it not occur to you that a Chinese person growing up in the United States with the name 'Bamboo Dong' might have heard every possible "LOL BAMBOO DONG" comment known to man and therefore does not give you any 'credit' for 'sophisticated wit' for being the 3,495,203,392nd person for pointing it out?

Countdown until the "you guys don't have a sense of humor!" response, as though you not being funny or witty isn't the problem.

Oh, and knock it off with the 'fake' flirting, too. It's not cute or amusing, it's creepy and sad.
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:13 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
fighterholic wrote:
And maybe it wouldn't hurt to update the staff page every now and then.

I'm afraid to tell you that each staff is responsible for his/her own introductory paragraph unless an administrator removes him/her from the staff list. Some people simply prefer not to disclose too much personal information. Overwriting a paragraph by an administrator, while technically possible, would be a serious intrusion and offense.

Still, there's something to be said about tidiness. There's a few people on there who, to my knowledge, haven't been on in well over a year such as Paul/Nagisa who's still considered an active moderator (Cookie should be an exception of course). There's a few columnists and mods missing from there as well, even without a profile they should be listed.

dormcat wrote:
DerekTheRed wrote:

Never have remotely thought about it (along with other terms... I only know four out of seven). Anyway, thanks for letting me know. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop

Somebody has clearly never played Shadow Warrior staring Lo Wang. It actually had a few anime references in it, but it's been 10 years since I've played it, I can't remember what they are now. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop

Emerje
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Ah, so I guess I'm not going to be allowed to respond to Zac, eh? (My original reply was - gasp! shock! - deleted.)

Lame.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5