• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Reveals Shakugan no Shana English Dub Cast

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:31 am Reply with quote
Shippoyasha wrote:

Can't we just tone it down with the drama until we finally get the dang things in mail/store?

The difference, as far as I know, is that the concern there was that Funi was going to screw up the JP encode, while the concern here is that they're going to USE the JP encode.
GhostShell

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:03 am Reply with quote
Just saw the premiere of the Shakugan no Shana film last night at Anime Revolution. Dub was fine, but then I've never seen the series.
Kid Ryan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:43 am Reply with quote
This is awesome, now I'm even more excited to watch Season 2 DUBBED now Very Happy!
Primus

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:30 am Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
The American Average wrote:
sounds fine i just pray to the anime gods that Funi doesn't get new voices for Black Lagoon Roberta's blood trail.

Roberta's Blood Trail is a 5 episode OVA, whereas with Shana they are potentially dealing with 48 episodes (including the third series), the OVAs, and the movie. That's a huge difference.

This is true, but Funimation certainly had options. They could've done the Movie or second season at Ocean and screamed from the top of their lungs that fans needed to support it if they wanted that cast to continue. Instead they went silent for months before showing up with an entirely new cast.
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:10 am Reply with quote
oh my indeed so this funi re-casting for rest of shana series?

well give a bit hmm what on some sure odd wonder brina as yoshida?!

really i saw ocean s1 dub still would have strand as yoshida give sort have feel (give still bit a Lacus addict).

while main rami as shana quite a choice see really want expand her range so wonder say shut up x3 on it?

sorta knew it feeling clink as margery quite well yea i can dig it.

overall well wait & see how s2 & rest series funi reboot dub will do.
baadaku12345

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:41 am Reply with quote
I wouldn't have ever expected Funimation to switch the cast of an anime from the Ocean group to their in-house talent, that certainly never happened before.
Catseyetiger

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:09 am Reply with quote
I like some of the dub casts voices in other things. This show will always be a sub show for me. Since i enjoy the voice cast in the sub format and have seen all two seasons. I would pick up the whole thing seeing as I have the first season and was waiting for the second and third to be released no matter who the voice cast is. Though I find myself going to skip the movie and only pick up the OVA.

I am glad this was done in house for Funimation since they have some great voices.
hojo 360

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:38 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
hojo 360 wrote:
or its not a problem, for me and is for you and i'm sorry you have a problem with it but why not take it up with Funi? anyway i understand your point but since there's nothing i can do about it ill just make the best of it. have a good one i'm off too bed.

Christ, what is with the passive-aggressiveness of people recently?

And this has jack-all to do with Funi, honestly.
or maybe you need to get. off your damn high horse and just wait and see. whats funny is you seem mad? and about what. the fact that some of us don't mind what funi is doing?? ill say this one time. the pics that were posted are just that pics. nothing more how do i know the guys that posted the pics have the box from funi? id like to all so see the box set pic!!!!!! please i mean what if the pics are from funimation's stream?? until i own the sets my self i'm done wasting time with you going back and forth about how it will look and. i can care less if someone owns the JP BDs as sometimes the NA team that owns it ---->funi they do there own mixing to fix up the look and colors ect till its out by funi there's no point in trying to say anything more. the fact that most on here have been going back and forth about this is a little sad. cant we just be happy its coming out?
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:14 am Reply with quote
hojo 360 wrote:

or maybe you need to get. off your damn high horse and just wait and see. whats funny is you seem mad? and about what. the fact that some of us don't mind what funi is doing?? ill say this one time. the pics that were posted are just that pics. nothing more how do i know the guys that posted the pics have the box from funi? id like to all so see the box set pic!!!!!! please i mean what if the pics are from funimation's stream?? until i own the sets my self i'm done wasting time with you going back and forth about how it will look and. i can care less if someone owns the JP BDs as sometimes the NA team that owns it ---->funi they do there own mixing to fix up the look and colors ect till its out by funi there's no point in trying to say anything more. the fact that most on here have been going back and forth about this is a little sad. can't we just be happy its coming out?

For once, I'll have to agree with Fence.

The pics that were posted are of the Blu-Rays in Japan.
If Funi is indeed using those masters (that Japan provided) that will be the quality the North American releases get.

In case you don't know what Masters are;
Master= - an original creation (i.e., an audio recording) from which copies can be made.

If the original Masters suck, then all other copies made from that master copy will have the same quality. Funi may try to fix it up but I can't see it doing much.

This isn't something that can't be debated. The S2 Japanese Blu-Rays are bad. We have proof in this very thread! If you refuse to accept that, that's your problem.

Last edited by Lynx Amali on Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:16 am Reply with quote
hojo 360 wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:
hojo 360 wrote:
or its not a problem, for me and is for you and i'm sorry you have a problem with it but why not take it up with Funi? anyway i understand your point but since there's nothing i can do about it ill just make the best of it. have a good one i'm off too bed.

or maybe you need to get. off your damn high horse and just wait and see. whats funny is you seem mad? and about what. the fact that some of us don't mind what funi is doing?? ill say this one time. the pics that were posted are just that pics. nothing more how do i know the guys that posted the pics have the box from funi? id like to all so see the box set pic!!!!!! please i mean what if the pics are from funimation's stream?? until i own the sets my self i'm done wasting time with you going back and forth about how it will look and. i can care less if someone owns the JP BDs as sometimes the NA team that owns it ---->funi they do there own mixing to fix up the look and colors ect till its out by funi there's no point in trying to say anything more. the fact that most on here have been going back and forth about this is a little sad. can't we just be happy its coming out?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzYGWF6qrts&feature=youtu.be

This is the anime fandom Hojo what did you expect? No one in this said fandom is ever happy no matter what the hell you do.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dimlos

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:23 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Supreme Throne HE KA TEEEEE?

Seriously Funi?
If you know the Greek pronunciation, Heck-uh-tee is relatively close. At the very least, it's closer than how the Japanese say it.
Joe anime

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:35 am Reply with quote
skyreno4 wrote:
Alright, i love the series, i loved the cast from season 1, three or four years ago hoping, writing to funimation are you getting the original cast back? no? yes? please, then today is day and look.

NONE, all new cast, im pissed off on funimation err why did they have to pick up rights to series, aleast bring shana and yuji main cast back but noo, they use there own house dubs. im preatty sure is going happen to black lagoon. yeah i could always change to subs, but for this series i will like to watch it dub. I will have sentai to have rights to series and they could send to ocean group and dub for them.
At least be glad that Funimation is bringing out the series.Sentai would've done the exact same thing Funi did when it comes to the cast.
hojo 360

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
hojo 360 wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:
hojo 360 wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzYGWF6qrts&feature=youtu.be

This is the anime fandom Hojo what did you expect? No one in this said fandom is ever happy no matter what the hell you do.
well that's sad since most of my buddy's who like anime are just happy to get there hands. on anything anime dub or sub. i think the anime fandom. needs to just support the fact we are still geting anime in NA buy what you love ect. or maybe its just in my day anime was only on VHS and was about 75min per VHS for all most 30$ so i just dont care how it looks Rolling Eyes
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:38 pm Reply with quote
I was hoping the complaints about the voice changes would have all been aired already in the last thread...

Chii85 wrote:
I don't understand why they did that, It's not that the Geneon dub was bad, but that can't they have the Ocean Group reprise the dub instead of changing that enitre main cast? I know it's cheaper to do their prouduction in house, but messing with the entire cast? I specuated that they would do it as a rare move, but nooooooo they didn't! I hope some ask this question are their Anime Revloution panel!

I depends on how much more it will cost them and how well the expect the series to sell. Clearly in this instance they felt it did not justify the extra expense.

Fencedude5609 wrote:
getchman wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Supreme Throne HE KA TEEEEE?
Seriously Funi?

how is her name supposed to be pronounced?

He Ka Tay

Are we talking bout the Latin, Greek or Japanese pronunciation here?

HitokiriShadow wrote:
The problem isn't the resolution, its what was done to it to "fix" it. I don't remember precisely what happened in this case, but it resulted in a large loss of detail in the BD video. Toradora was also an upscale but they went to great lengths to make it a nice upscale (the only problem I recall hearing of was the brightness level on white heavy or bright scenes or something).

Toradora was actually used to highlight a new upscaling process Sony were developing.

Vata Raven wrote:
THEY TRIED TO GET THE ORIGINAL CAST FOR TRIGUN

Damn, people need to stop holding that against Funimation. They were saying the other VAs, aside from JYB, were giving them issues and were giving Funimation a hard time about it. Just be glad they didn't replace JYB.

From what I recall they did it in-house and the returning VAs would have to pay their own transport etc., which wasn't worth it for most. JYB has family in the area IIRC.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Catseyetiger

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:39 pm Reply with quote
yup due to the overly long wait for a release. I mean years people who cares who the voice acting is as this point. Just be glad the released the thing and in blue ray no less! I had hopes Index and Railgun would get blue rays but no such luck for Index. Though I did see Railgun lucked out with a combo release.

Just hope people keep picking up the things they enjoy! this way they get releases state side.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 12