• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood (TV) (w/ index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 9:37 pm Reply with quote
crow-kun wrote:
Nice episode. It's like they will be cutting the Ishbal War flashback short,

Ah ha ha Fullmetal Alchemist.

Huh what makes you say that? It looks like they might move a scene or two up from that flashback in the next episode based on the preview. But I am pretty sure they will still animate the entire Ishbal flashback when those chapters come up in the manga.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:05 am Reply with quote
Now, I'm a huge fan of the first anime series, but while I would argue that a lot of the material from the manga was utilized better in that show, I must admit that this episode, and of course, the manga material it's adapting, handled the Alphonse memory situation better, more naturally, and with subtlety. The first series sort of dragged it out needlessly into a largely filler episode involving Scar, two Ishbalan kids, and the reveal of the Fuhrer's secretary being something other than human. While that wasn't a bad episode, this was a better fit for the story.

Romi Paku and Rie Kugumiya really acted their hearts out in this episode. It's possible that they've improved considerably from the first series, and I thought they were perfect in the roles then. I'm still adusting to Maria Ross' voice, which seems too soft and submissive. Winry's new VA is improving. The new Scar is putting my fears to rest so far.

I love that little bit with the child playing with a robot toy and what it represented. A great add-in. If only they hadn't used that awful Italian restaurant music in the rooftop scene. At least use the vocal version of that piece! Overall, a good episode, though.

Next week is that event. I doubt it'll be nearly as rough, but it'll still be sad.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
amarielah

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:01 pm Reply with quote
I've gotta say that I'm disappointed. This could have been better than the first series' take on it, but that damn slapstick humor was so jarringly out-of-place that it made it difficult to watch. They didn't have to draw out Al's angst like the first anime did, but they didn't have to trivialize it, either. It's like the writers are afraid of giving us even a single serious scene that's not interrupted by Super Deformed gags. I would have been happy with just holding out until after Edward and Alphonse had finished their roof!fight, but no.

Not to mention, this episode brought to light just how much I dislike the way this series is treating Al. Whether or not you like his characterization in the the first series, it at least gave him very in-depth and well-rounded characterization from episode one. Brotherhood has practically reduced him to being Edward's sidekick. And so, in the context of this anime, I found his reaction to Barry largely unbelievable. I may not have been that happy with how the first anime handled this scene from the manga, but I did prefer how it handled the buildup to it.

That being said, it wasn't bad. I think that the first anime handled specific scenes better, while Brotherhood handled the overall story better. In the end, for me, it evens out.

Last edited by amarielah on Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:30 am; edited 1 time in total
RhymesWithEmpty

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:23 am Reply with quote
I agree largely with amarielah. This episode was really frustrating to me because on one hand, some scenes were really well done, but on the other hand, I feel like the overdone humor really killed a lot of it, yet again. And again, in some scenes, I feel like it was ok, it's not like I'm totally anti-comedy - I love comedy, actually. But comedy can bomb quickly when it's not used properly, ie, when it's overused. If they would just decide which scenes they want to be comedic, instead of trying to throw some tiny comedic element into every little scene, that would be a huge improvement. Like, Al's finally spouting off all of these built of feelings he's got would have been great, except then they show a super cartoony version of him with that chibified armor face, and it just totally took me out of the scene. Like amarielah said, it's nice that they didn't draw it out, but they didn't have to trivialize it, either.

I also agree that the manga handled this part much better than the 1st series, and I think the rooftop scene between Ed and Al is still an improvement over the melodramatic, anticlimactic resolution we got the 1st time around. Subtlety works much better in this scenario. Also, the flashback to Ed being on the operating table, saying how scared he was to ask Al if he hated him for everything that had happened, very good scene. I feel like if we could take this episode from the 1st time around and somehow paste from that point on of this version over the end of it, bam, pretty much a perfect episode.

Anybody else notice how manly Maria Ross looked while awaiting punishment from Ed? Just something I noticed, heh.

About Al's characterization - I agree that he doesn't seem as well rounded as last time, so far, but I'm mostly chalking that up to the hasty pace we've been moving at, and fully expect them to flesh out his character with the new material from the manga, especially since they said he'd be playing a larger role. If not, then the title of the series will be even more nonsensical.

Strangely, the "Italian restaurant" music didn't bother me as much as it did before. I think perhaps because the scene where it was used here felt...more casual? I'm not sure. Maybe it's just growing on me. The music was nice in this episode, though.

About the child with the robot toy - it was a clever little add in, but...have robots ever been referenced before in the series? Maybe they have, and I'm forgetting, and maybe it's just seeing one actually being animated, but robots don't seem like the kind of thing they'd have in their popular culture yet - not that kind of robots, at least. The exception in the 1st series being spoiler[Archer,] but I found that whole storyline to be rather cornball and out of place, actually. I guess you could make an argument for it, what with automail's existence, but it still seems off, to me. Not that I'm saying, "Raaah, that scene was total nonsense!" or anything, this is just a little insignificant tangent my brain went off on when I saw it, so take it with a grain of salt, heh.

I feel like I had more I wanted to say, but it's 3:30 in the morning, and I can't think of it, so...yeah. Not a bad episode, but it could've been so much better with just a little editing of some elements.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:59 am Reply with quote
Just because they have little robot toys in the FMA world, doesn't mean they have actual humanoid robots walking around. We don't. I don't think they were implying that they do. I still say it was a great parallel to Al's thoughts.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:20 am Reply with quote
I agree with Penguintruth about the robot. I think they were just trying to use the robot as symbolism to explore Al's feelings that he might not be real like a toy robot. Although it did sort of make me chuckle since so many people not familiar with FMA seem to confuse Al for a robot.

Quote:

About Al's characterization - I agree that he doesn't seem as well rounded as last time, so far, but I'm mostly chalking that up to the hasty pace we've been moving at, and fully expect them to flesh out his character with the new material from the manga, especially since they said he'd be playing a larger role. If not, then the title of the series will be even more nonsensical.

And considering that Al does a whole lot in the manga I don't think this is a problem. It is still very early on in this series and the characters are still being established.
RhymesWithEmpty

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I got what they were trying to say with it, and I did think it was a nice little addition. And I know they're not implying that they have robots like that yet, it was just the conception of that kind of robot seemed just slightly askew in their society, particularly with their focus on alchemy, but I suppose it's not that far off.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sariachan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:29 am Reply with quote
The FMA manga mixes humour and drama in almost every chapter (if not panel), so if you don't like it you won't like this new anime much, either, but please not ask it to be different from what it was meant to be to begin with by its creator herself. Wink

Even because there are people, like me, that actually like this way to narrate a story: it's a subjective matter, not an object "good thing" or "bad thing", so discussions about it are pretty pointless.

And please stop with the "Italian restaurant" music nonsense!
If your musical reception was biased from some American "Italian restaurants" it isn't Akira Senju's fault.

Even because I can assure you that music like that isn't played in real Italian restaurants. Anime hyper
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Ikari1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:32 am Reply with quote
Quote:
This episode was really frustrating to me because on one hand, some scenes were really well done, but on the other hand, I feel like the overdone humor really killed a lot of it

This has been the problem I've had all the way through and to be honest it really is doing my head in. I cant seriously get into a series if it insists on destroying any sort of emotional impact that takes place in every single scene. It is just poor story telling. The series just comes across as conflicted in it's aims. It may work in the manga but it certainly doesnt work in this animated version. It's like somebody farting in the middle of a major characters last words at the cinema; you just dont do it.

I liked the latest episode. It didn't go completley over the top with the humor but still this series needs to decide what it is becasue at the moment all it is a comedy with a couple of serious themes on the side. I say serious but with every chance the series tries to explore these issues it insists on putting some frankly shitty humor on the side just to make sure it ruins any semnblence of attachment to the characters we were getting.
It's just poor story telling.

I really want this series to start impressing me but so far it is clear that it just isnt going to have the same emotional impact on me that the first series did. Though I am going to watch this through to the end as I like FMA alot, it feels like a poor mans FMA so far. I enjoyed the manga but this animated show has to live up to and exceed the first animated series aswell which is a task that it clearly isnt doing because in every single scene where we might start to feel something for the characters, the humor ruins it. Humor in moderation is fine. The latest episode achieved that target in my opinon and I liked the way it dragged out Al's angst but even then; as somebody put earlier, it makes Al look too much like just the sidekick. It makes him look even more stupid for him taking much longer to realise that he wasnt just created out of nothing. It belittles his character. I was just happy to see some genuine emotion unblackened but silly humor for once however.

I'm finding this increasingly more difficult to see why and how people can defend this humor. It very very clearly ruins the emotional impact of certain scenes. In what way is that good? Unless we are to classify this new series as simply dark comedy?

The little robot in that one scene was a fantastic addition, commenting on how spoiler[Al thinks Ed is just playing with his pet robot]. I thought that was something that was really well done in this latest episode.
RhymesWithEmpty

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:31 pm Reply with quote
I know the manga is rife with humor, but it doesn't feel overdone in the manga to me - Arakawa has found a balance that Brotherhood's director has not, imo. And, like I've said before, I find it works better in the manga format, because a little goes a much longer way once you add in all of the extra elements of anime. And too much becomes even more distracting thanks to those same elements. Of course, I'm not saying somebody else can't find it enjoyable, but I think I have the right to point out whenever I feel it ruins a scene for me, particularly since the sharing one's opinions is kind of the whole point of a forum. If I wanted to get really philosophical, I could argue that all "truth" is subjective, and so if it's pointless to discuss subjective matters, then we might as well never have meaningful discussions about anything, ever Razz

Haha, and I just refer to it as the "Italian restaurant" music because I don't know what else to call it, and that's what we can all identify it as Anime hyper I suppose we should find out the actual title of the piece, because I don't feel like typing out "the music that penguintruth doesn't like" every time as an alternative XP
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:29 pm Reply with quote
RhymesWithEmpty wrote:
I know the manga is rife with humor, but it doesn't feel overdone in th Of course, I'm not saying somebody else can't find it enjoyable, but I think I have the right to point out whenever I feel it ruins a scene for me, particularly since the sharing one's opinions is kind of the whole point of a forum.

I think you've always been quite fair with presenting your opinion actually. I don't mind the humor (most of the time) but I respect that other people do mind it. It's a fair criticism I guess.

On the other hand

Ikari1 wrote:
I'm finding this increasingly more difficult to see why and how people can defend this humor. It very very clearly ruins the emotional impact of certain scenes. In what way is that good? Unless we are to classify this new series as simply dark comedy?

It ruins it for you doesn't ruin any emotional impact for me. And no I don't see the series as dark comedy but since it is based on the manga I do expect it to not be as dark as the first series.

Quote:

It makes him look even more stupid for him taking much longer to realise that he wasnt just created out of nothing.

It didn't take him longer it was resolved faster than the last series actually. As for being stupid well I think it was meant to be stupid that's why Winry bashed him with her wrench. This was a low point for Al but in the end he realizes he was being stupid and his relationship with Ed grows stronger. Al made a mistake and he learned from it in the end.

I don't think Al comes off as "just a side kick" either but I admit knowing what happens later does have an impact on how I view these characters. So I can't really judge them with a first time viewers thoughts in mind since I am way too familiar with them after reading the manga for 5 years (I don't even count the first series because I do think even the same characters are different) and I guess that isn't really fair.
Ikari1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
On the other hand

It quite clearly ruins what is supposed to be emotional or serious moments at multiple times in this new series and it just doesnt make sense to me personally. It's fair enough if you dont see what the problem is but I have a problem with it and really it is the only major problem I have so far with this series. The pacing is a bit fast for my liking but not something to get worked up over. The humor on the other hand or at least the way it is employed is ruining what could be an excellent anime series. When I read the manga the exsperience was different but in the anime adaptation of the manga material, the whole scenario just seems like a joke all the time.

For example, Take this main offender....

The instance where Ed was explaining the make up of elements of the human body to Rose in the church of Leto. What Ed was actually explaining was a serious matter and was quite dark in it's subject matter. That much is obvious whilst watching the scenes where Ed's mother comes back deformed after thier failed attempt at human transmutation. Consider the clips of all the ' ingredients' in the middle of the floor in those scenes aswell.

With that scene in the backs of peoples minds we would exspect the scene where Ed reminises about the components of the human body, to be rather solemn and serious to him but instead we are treated to Rose pulling faces in the backgorund and wholly innapropriate humor or at least over done humor. Now that scene in the manga isnt that bad as 'the humor' is only one frame with a slightly confused looking Rose. The next frame showing rose is one of her looking pissed off because Ed told her he is a scientist and doesnt believe in God.

In animated form that humor was taken too far and didn't fit right as it did in the manga. Like I said it worked in the manga but not in the animation of said manga. The manga managed to reach a delicate balance between humor and serious content but I dont see anything delicate about how these two things have been dealt with in this new animated adaptation.

Like I said it isnt something I can understand and the way it keeps on happening at seemingly key moments in the characters developments makes me take their battle and journey much less serious. The subject matter in FMA is dark what ever way you look at it so the humor needs to be handled in such a way as to not
( forgive me) Piss all over the serious content which is supposed to be an important part of the story.

Basically, I think the humor just doesnt work in animated form. Perhaps this is why the origional series was done in such a way in the first place.

What I am unltimatley saying is that the impact of the humor in illustrated form is different to the impact it has in animated form. It is always slightly different in that regard.

Of course I just dont like the way it has been done and Im picky but there you go.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Ikari1 wrote:
It quite clearly ruins what is supposed to be emotional or serious moments at multiple times in this new series and it just doesnt make sense to me personally.

You do realize I have no issues that you dislike the humor. At times I actually think this series goes overboard with the SD stuff as well but I also don't think it is as bad as some people are making it out to be and some of it I like. But I perfectly respect your opinion and I think you presented it much fairer the second time around. I just don't like people acting like there is something wrong with me because I feel differently.

Also what bothers one person might not bother someone else. I am more concerned with them keep scenes and character lines and those scenes being appropriately paced. For example I felt a lot of the scenes in the 2nd episode went by too fast and that did effect the emotional response for me. But I think the pacing has improved tremendously since these early episodes

The humor however has never effected any emotional scenes for me. For example some people think the humor takes away from serious moments and I respect that. But a lot of times the mixture of humor & sadness makes the scene more heart warming for me. Of course I do think there are some scenes that should have no humor. The scene when Ed & Al discovered what happened to Nina is an example.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:00 pm Reply with quote
While sometimes I agree that the humor gets a little out of hand in FMA, even with the first series (Ed declares his newfound willingness to kill for his goals, then promptly Winry does something wacky that makes him scream) , I like to think of a lot of it as being little "breathers" that diffuse some of the tension. I mean, most of the characters are pretty good-natured, to some degree. Even evil bastards like Envy have a sense of humor.

I think it's great when Ed sort of lapses into his snarky, sarcastic humor. It shows that he can take things in stride, or even has a charming swagger to him that sometimes the first series forgot about. Edward has this ability- or rather, Arakawa has this ability- to diffuse a tense situation. I think because the character himself actually dislikes leaving things without it being resolved in some fashion. He doesn't like leaving a situation in chaos (on purpose, anyway). He's almost a crowd-pleaser. Alphonse is a more obvious pleaser, but Ed has that quality to him. But unlike Alphonse, Ed isn't as good with words, so he uses his sarcasm in hopes it will make someone else besides himself smile.

Anyway, just some character dissection on my part, but I could be going at it wrong.
Crimson_Reaper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood Episode 10 : Seperate Ways

First I suppose. Anyway, looks like there was no real Ishbal flash back, except for the first few seconds, which I am quite glad for if their saving it up. Anyway, I believe they handled this episode quite well, no Cornello hulks or anything to ruin it. It also had some nice differences from the first anime, the whole spoiler[Hughes death scene] was nicely handled.

EDIT: I feel obligated to add more, well, the whole episode, except for one or two nice additions pretty much followed the magna to the letter, so far so good. The two things added, spoiler[Hughes' last words] and the end clip showing how oblivious Ed it of it, fit the mood really well and were defiently worth it. The one bad thing I have against this episode the the middle part screaming "Fullmetal Alchemist" twice, but it was not as bad as usual.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 38 of 64