• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sakura Wars V Game to Ship in North America This Fall

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DPX

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 2:42 pm Reply with quote
ximpalullaorg wrote:
Well, I've played this fully a couple years ago (still have the LE edition) and I say it's decent. I enjoyed the story, despite some inconsistencies with the far worse ST V: Episode 0 (curiously one of the pictures in NIS press release refers to that game, instead of ST V). Despite being "separated" from the main line of the games, it has a few nods to the original series (two characters, one of them appeared in the animated movie).
However I'm doubtful given what NIS has done with the release of Ar Tonelico 2.

Well, NISA did receive a fierce scorning for that localization. So I'm sure that there shouldn't be a problem (at least, I hope not!)
SpaceDrake

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 4:16 pm Reply with quote
It's also worth recalling that Ar Tonelico 2 was one bum localization out of a catalog of dozens of games. No company can bat a thousand. I'm not worried about the quality of Sakura Wars in the slightest, and I'm glad to see it make the jump at last.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 6:30 pm Reply with quote
This was great news to read. The original Sakura Wars OVA was among the first 5 or so DVDs I ever purchased about a decade ago. While the franchise was never one of my favorites (and I never bought or saw any others, despite enjoying it.... maybe I should try tracking them down), I did enjoy it and have been wanting to play the games ever since. Now, nearly 10 years later, I'll finally be able to. Thank you, NISA.

SpaceDrake wrote:
It's also worth recalling that Ar Tonelico 2 was one bum localization out of a catalog of dozens of games. No company can bat a thousand. I'm not worried about the quality of Sakura Wars in the slightest, and I'm glad to see it make the jump at last.

Apparently one or two other games also had some problems, but the problems AT2 had were pretty big. Stuff that simply should not have happened. Their response to it, particularly considering how glaring the problems were, was also quite lacking. They deserve the heat they got for that.
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 6:55 pm Reply with quote
The first Sakura Wars OVA series made a better advertisement for the game than a standalone show. The TV show stood alone a lot better, and while the second OVA series required familiarity with the characters, the stories were complete in themselves. After watching all of these, plus the Movie, the Ecole de Paris OVA, and the self-indulgent Sumire Special, I'm happy one of the games is being translated, but wish it were one of those with the characters I am familiar with.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 7:04 pm Reply with quote
DavidShallcross wrote:
After watching all of these, plus the Movie, the Ecole de Paris OVA, and the self-indulgent Sumire Special, I'm happy one of the games is being translated, but wish it were one of those with the characters I am familiar with.

I'm certainly in a different boat, as I haven't seen most of the Sakura Wars anime, but I'm kind of glad the one we get to play will let us get to know new characters. But the key point for me is this: we get the one with a cute redheaded katana-wielding cowgirl.

That said, I'd certainly like to be able to play the earlier games as well. If this does well, maybe NISA will bring some of them over though probably as PSP games unless they were remade as PS2 games at some point. I can see why they wanted to start with this one, as its one of the most recent ones and thus the least subject to the damages of time.
ximpalullaorg

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 6:09 am Reply with quote
ST1 and 3 were remade on PS2. All the games (1-4) were re-released on PC last year too.
Char-Zard
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 2:23 pm Reply with quote
As a VERY long time fan of all things Sakura Taisen, this news makes me so happy. I highly encourage anyone to pick up the various soundtracks and vocal CDs for this game. The cast is amazing and the songs very entertaining.

I'll definitely be there day one to get this! So exciting!
KanonAirHaruhiShuffle

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 12:22 am Reply with quote
SpaceDrake wrote:

To me well just look at my avatar picture it's Luca from Ar tonelico 2. Ar tonelico 2 to me is so much better then say like Final Fantasy but I'm not going to make a debate on that right now. But still if it weren't for the bad localization like not fixing the bug with the fight with Raki, misspelling, taking away some Japanese and English voice acting to compress the game onto a PS2 disc(which in my opinion should of been a PS3 game to begin with so that the acting wouldn't be edited but oh well even though I listen to both languages prefer the English myself but I'm a English dub person)bad grammar in the text, and so on it would of been such a better game. The English voice acting was well played(Luca being played by Laura Bailey, Jacqli aka Mir played by Wendee Lee, and so on). Music was awesome, gameplay was at least a little more challenging then the 1st game.

Overall it's an excellent game but with bad localization and needs a proper release and like soon.
rg4619

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 12:43 am Reply with quote
Quote:
taking away some Japanese and English voice acting to compress the game onto a PS2 disc

Speculation has it that the voiceover reductions had nothing to do with disc space (there's enough room for the entire Japanese track, if not an entire English one as well) but rather recording budget.

When NISA released Mana Khemia, fans quickly compared both language tracks and complained about cuts to the English dub. With AT2, I suspect they trimmed the Japanese track to improve uniformity (so the extent of the omissions is much less obvious).
AJ (LordNikon)

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Well, it's about smegging time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2