• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
PR: The Long-awaited Release of Bakemonogatari is set to hit North America this Holiday Season!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Huh, interesting to see character commentary being included. I was thinking they'd go with soundtracks since that's what they did with PMMM. I only liked 2 of Bake's 5 arcs, so this set isn't for me. I'll do a wait and see if years down the line a more affordable regular edition release occurs.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:45 pm Reply with quote
About f*cking time . . . and at a bargain too.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Well, crap. I was really wanting to check this show out, too. But at that price, HELL NO. You can forget that mess.

And seriously..... Why the HELL would you put a 15 episode series on 6 BLURAY DISCS when you can easily and comfortably fit them all on 3 discs with plenty of room to spare? Seems like Aniplex is using every trick they can to scam more money out of people, and of course the ignorant sheep lap it up as if it were ambrosia from the gods. Rolling Eyes

And no dub? Granted, I've already heard that this show was one that would be "very hard to properly dub", but if they're going to charge us a price equivalent to our left testicle they should AT LEAST have put forth an effort. I make it a strong issue to NEVER buy sub-only anime that costs more than $30. Any more than that, and it HAS to have a dub.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:48 pm Reply with quote
strawberry-kun wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:
Keep asking for full series at $30, and see if the R1 market can survive down the road.

Because if you don't want to pay $150 for a series, that means you want to pay $30 or less right? Rolling Eyes

I actually don't have a problem with the price. Obviously, I'd rather it be less, but I'll still be getting this release. However, comments like these are just as bad as some of the more ridiculous complaints about the pricing.

Also, I'm betting that, for most people, this isn't so much a "Can I afford it" kind of a thing. It seems more of a"Is it worth paying $150 for one series" kind of thing.
Exactly.

I haven't seen it yet, but I'm tempted. Its at my maximum price range but sub only makes me hesitate a little bit and there is a lot of stuff coming out in the next 3-4 months that I'm interested in. I'm still on the fence about double dipping for Durarara BDs which is $150 too. I guess I'll have to check it out online and see if I really, really like it enough to displace some of my other potential orders. Well, you can't get everything even though I would love to. Sometimes you just have to let some things go and save your money for something else.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:13 pm Reply with quote
So is this going to be the new thing with fans, every time Aniplex announces a show everyone complains about the price? Rolling Eyes

I wish people would just get over it already especially considering that Aniplex is putting out regular release of their shows a few years after their limited edition releases.

Anyways glad to see that it will be streaming before the release, so now I can watch it and decide if I love the show enough to pay for the really nice looking box set in November or in a few years for the cheaper strip down version.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:20 pm Reply with quote
you guys know that this is a limited edition and that LE's are sold at higher prices, right? why not just wait for cheaper normal release?
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:21 pm Reply with quote
One-Eye wrote:
strawberry-kun wrote:

Also, I'm betting that, for most people, this isn't so much a "Can I afford it" kind of a thing. It seems more of a"Is it worth paying $150 for one series" kind of thing.
Exactly.

I haven't seen it yet, but I'm tempted. Its at my maximum price range but sub only makes me hesitate a little bit and there is a lot of stuff coming out in the next 3-4 months that I'm interested in. I'm still on the fence about double dipping for Durarara BDs which is $150 too. I guess I'll have to check it out online and see if I really, really like it enough to displace some of my other potential orders. Well, you can't get everything even though I would love to. Sometimes you just have to let some things go and save your money for something else.

My thinking as well. $150 isn't too much, but I'm not sure if it's worth it for what you're getting. Even their own release of Durarara is the same price for nearly twice the content (though it is still technically a re-release even if it is on a different format). I'll have to check this out a bit to see if it holds up for me, but for this price I'd like to have some more substantial physical extras, like a soundtrack CD and/or a bigger artbook.
bemused Bohemian

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Already pre-ordered. Thank you, Aniplex. Considering I'm paying much more for the BD LE editions of Accel World as they are released this price is a bargain.
NJ_

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:48 pm Reply with quote
050795 wrote:
So is this going to be the new thing with fans, every time Aniplex announces a show everyone complains about the price? Rolling Eyes

I take it you weren't around when Bandai Visual USA was active? Well this is nothing new at all as far as complaints like this are concerned. Hell, the complaints over Aniplex's prices are nothing compared to the amount of complaints BV got from fans at the time.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Aniplex could EASILY make just as much money selling at realistic,lower prices like Funimation and such but they only care about the quick cash from the higher class market that can easily throw this kind of money at them. They don't care about the fans. It doesn't cost much to mass produce discs. Supporting their prices if you can is fine to keep them in business but there's nothing wrong with voicing out against them at the same time to help those who cannot.
No. The LAST thing Aniplex needs to be like or emulate in any way is Funimation. How do you think their bargain pricing of most of their titles is helping the animation industry that needs overhead for creators, voice actors and licensing costs? Buying Funimation is ONLY helping Funimation.

How I support Aniplex: I bought 3 copies of the Oreimo Limited Edition set and 2 copies each of the 1st two volumes of the Madoka Limited Edition set and 1 copy of volume 3. All purchased brand new, and most on preorder from Rightstuf.

How I support Funimation: ZERO copies of any Funimation title in existence (except a few second-hand, ebay, etc - most likely used).
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:04 am Reply with quote
Past wrote:
Kougeru wrote:
Aniplex could EASILY make just as much money selling at realistic,lower prices like Funimation and such but they only care about the quick cash from the higher class market that can easily throw this kind of money at them. They don't care about the fans. It doesn't cost much to mass produce discs. Supporting their prices if you can is fine to keep them in business but there's nothing wrong with voicing out against them at the same time to help those who cannot.
No. The LAST thing Aniplex needs to be like or emulate in any way is Funimation. How do you think their bargain pricing of most of their titles is helping the animation industry that needs overhead for creators, voice actors and licensing costs? Buying Funimation is ONLY helping Funimation.

How I support Aniplex: I bought 3 copies of the Oreimo Limited Edition set and 2 copies each of the 1st two volumes of the Madoka Limited Edition set and 1 copy of volume 3. All purchased brand new, and most on preorder from Rightstuf.

How I support Funimation: ZERO copies of any Funimation title in existence (except a few second-hand, ebay, etc - most likely used).

lol, just buy whatever anime that you want. To me, the company name doesn't matter. I even buy Sentai release(Infinite Stratos).
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:45 am Reply with quote
I really wanted to buy this, and was saving my money. Unfortunately, I had to buy a computer this month. My old one bit the dust after six years of faithful service. RIP
Ingraman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:35 am Reply with quote
Wakazhi wrote:
But I really feel bad about the "only ships to US or Canada" business.

From reading AoD or FP, it seems that there was a 2-hour (or so) window when that notice was not on the BD set's page. I presume that any non-US/Canada pre-orders made during that time would be honored (TRSI had said that they'd ship overseas Madoka orders made before the notice went up there).
potatochobit

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:40 am Reply with quote
the complete puella magica set cost over 225$
the bakemonogatari price does not suprirse me but I was hoping it was a bit lower. I am comfortable with NIS america prices like anohana 50-75$ for 12 episodes.

honestly, if they made the booklet with lots of racy photos like dark hanekawa in pajamas I wouldnt mind paying even more.
Tmaxxer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:59 am Reply with quote
I am a little hesitant on the price as it is just within the price point I am will willing pay. As I am only willing to spend at max $150 on any series. So I can understand peoples anger over the price.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6