• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Season Finale

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaisakuKusama

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Best of luck in all future projects, Erin! Please stop by the ANNcast as time permits; your viewpoints are always thoughtful and enlightening.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Good luck, Erin! Thanks for the wonderful columns these past few years!
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:11 pm Reply with quote
And forever, my friend, hail and farewell
Mikeski

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Simultaneously sad to see you go, and glad to see Bamboo back... best of luck to both of you.

Ergo Proxy: I agree with your "I'd advise them to stop watching whenever they felt fit." I've watched it part way through a couple times, and kept bogging down in the pretentiousness. I liked the sort of questions it was asking more when they were asked by Lain and GitS.

animewithtoys00.jpg: is that big silver guy on the bottom kneeling on a much smaller guy? At first glance, I thought it was just really well-endowed...
Animerican14

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Aw, I'll be missing reading you, Erin. Can't believe it's already been 3 years since you've started.... that's actually about a third of all the years I've spent reading ANN, come to think of it. I gotta say, I've really appreciated all the attention you gave in describing the technical aspects of the animation and artistry of the various shows you've reviewed, demonstrating a professional knowledge of the medium's technicalities that I've rarely seen mentioned or made a fuss about elsewhere, even in some of ANN's own full-length reviews. Good luck with the grad program and work!

Heh, it's kind of interesting that for your final column, you looked at three titles and put one into each of the three rating categories. Too bad you didn't end it on the highest possible note anime-wise... but hey, talk about a tidy encapsulation of the Shelf Life Experience! Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ljaesch

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Erin, thank you for writing Shelf Life for the past three years. I always enjoyed reading your reviews. Good luck in your future endeavors!

And welcome back to Shelf Life, Bamboo. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Erin: best of luck with your future pursuits. Shelf Life is a high profile, hot seat perch and I respect anyone who has the cojones (uh, metaphorically speaking) to take the heat.

Welcome back, Bamboo!
irishninja

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Echoing what others are saying: thanks for your time on the column, Erin, and welcome back, Bamboo! Smile
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:48 pm Reply with quote
It's a shame to see you go, Erin, but when you gotta go you gotta go, it seems; when Zac mentioned that there would be a message from you for this article a couple of days ago I had a feeling that it was going to be a "Good Bye" messgae. Anyway, Good luck in the future, and maybe I'll catch you at a con every now & then, as those are generally fun to attend. I honestly got used to you handling Shelf Life and it was great to see someone who loved watching & covering stuff like Fist of the North Star, Eyeshield 21, Space Adventure Cobra, and other more niche and/or old-school titles.

Take a break, Erin... You deserve it. And welcome back, Bamboo!
Levitz9

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:31 pm Reply with quote
I'm sad to see you go, Erin. Thanks for all of the hard work these past three years!
rabrek

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the benefit of your reviews, Erin. I haven't always agreed with your assessment of some of my favorites, but you've sold me on at least a couple dozen titles as well. (Thanks for helping me do my part for DVD sales figures.) Thanks also for sharing your shelves, which are gloriously alluring (and not just because they remind me of mine... well, mine if I tidied up... a lot).

All best wishes for school, work, and the fun stuff on the side!
partially

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Good luck in future endeavours!

About Ergo Proxy, I watched this with someone very well read. What a difference that made, a lot of the plot (particularly the end) are based around some very old stories. And a lot of it seems to make sense only if you know the stories on which it is based. Yeah one of THOSE shows. Laughing Wish I could remember the names though, been too long. I found the show fascinating regardless, as I had seen it before that.

Some of the stories it uses are obvious (i.e. Daedalus), but there was something about the very end in particular that I have forgotten. Will look around and try to recall.
doubleO7

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:53 pm Reply with quote
I feel the need to point out that Ergo Proxy did not air on Adult Swim. However, it did air on FuseTV's short-lived anime block (alongside Petite Cossette and Tenjho Tenge).
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Good luck Erin, I wish you good luck in your future endeavors. It is hard to think that I have been following this column since I started to really get into anime a little under 2 years ago. It has always been one of my favorites, even if we didn't have the same tastes for every series. I really will miss reading your version of the column, but I do wish Bamboo good luck and am excited to see how she will handle it.

___

Ergo Proxy seems interesting, but I really am put off by it really declining. Plus I don't prefer when series solely rely on being dark and deep. I mean I have enjoyed plenty dark and deep series, but I like a bit more than that and to have the series not rely on it as why it should be considered good, if that makes sense.

This Boy Can Fight Aliens seems... uninteresting. I love independent films, but it just seems bleh.

Oblivion Island looks decent. I may end up watching it at some point, but the 3d cg style kind of puts me off and it doesn't seem incredibly special like a ghibli title or anything (although I am ashamed to admit that I haven't ever seen Totoro...).
SereneChaos

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Good luck with whatever you do in the future, Erin!
Some very stylish ads for Ergo Proxy have piqued my interest, but it sounds like I should wait to see it until I have far more anime and classic under my belt.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4