• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action Blood: The Last Vampire Film Opens in U.S.

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Primus

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:23 am Reply with quote
As it stands this movie has a worse Metacritic then DBE. DBE's at 45, while Blood: The Last Vampire is at 28.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:28 am Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
Apparently it isn't in any theatre at all in Canada.

Yeah, I wonder if that means it won't play here at all. I live in Toronto so if it does get a release here, I should be able to see it. I saw the first five minutes streamed and I'm not sure I'll be missing much, but I'm a huge fan of the Blood+ series and even though The Last Vampire films aren't part of that narrative, I'm enough of a completist to want to watch the live action version even if it isn't great.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:11 pm Reply with quote
It was getting sold out, so I think I'm going to go see a matinee...
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:32 pm Reply with quote
ManOfRust wrote:

I wonder if it does reasonably well if they will give it a wider release or if they are just planning on giving it a short, limited run and taking it to DVD. If the latter is the case, I suspect we'll see a fairly quick DVD release.

This sort of extremely limited theatrical release is pretty much meant just to get (hopefully) favourable "pull quotes" from important critics like Roger Ebert to put on the DVD/BluRay case.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:17 pm Reply with quote
KKDW wrote:
I saw this last Saturday (I live in the UK where its been out for a while).

Was it just me, or was every suburban bus shelter advertising this film?
When going along a high street in a primarily residential area of London, I found that I was never far away from a Blood poster.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:38 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
vash: It's not gonna wow you, but it does do the trick if you're looking for a quick action-horror fix. And it's good to reward studios which get these adaptations right, or at least "close enough".

Yeah, but I'm not a huge action-horror fan to begin with. I am glad to hear that it's stayed pretty true to the original; hopefully future anime adaptations will do the same.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Primus: I think it says more about the low standards the reviewers for DB: E have than it does about the quality of Blood. Rolling Eyes
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:54 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Primus: I think it says more about the low standards the reviewers for DB: E have than it does about the quality of Blood. Rolling Eyes

I'm going to have to agree with this.

DBE was pretty terrible, but I'm wondering what kind of reviewers could feel that Blood was worse.
Primus

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Only reason I even brought up DBE's score compared to this movie was to see the reaction of some people. A lot of people, especially on this board, were very much "lol, worst movie of the decade, roflcopter,it deprived me of what little grasp of a childhood I still had" (to that I replied "I have some Uwe Boll movies I can lend you"). Atleast most of them got over the fact that Goku was played by a Caucasian Canadian. Rolling Eyes

I'd watch this movie, if it was actually in a theatre in Toronto. There is a smaller indie theatre that may play the movie nearby, since it fits their bill.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:01 am Reply with quote
Primus: Uwe Bollocks' movies don't rape my childhood. They rape my adulthood. Razz
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2