• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dragon Ball Z Kai's Japanese Cast Records New Episodes

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VegettoEX

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Dumnerd wrote:
or if he, personally, likes the Majin Buu arc or not. It's all heresay and nothing more.

Actually, we do know a bit about that.

Toriyama states in his Akira Toriyama Blank Theater that his third editor, Fuyuto Takeda (who worked with him for the end of the Cell arc through the Majin Buu arc), was relatively lenient and let him do what he wanted without much complaint.

It's a minor stretch of logic, but if Toriyama was feeling a little more free of editorial control (particularly coming off the Cell arc where his villains shifted a few times due, not particularly due to "editorial" control, but via suggestions from prior editors and comrades), it might be safe to say that he was "enjoying" what he was working on.

Quick shifts in the story to whatever suits him on that particular day is classic Toriyama. Additionally, Mr. Satan is cited by Toriyama as one of his favorite characters, and he even goes on to say (in his daizenshuu four "Akira Toriyama's Best" Q&As) that if he were to do a spin-off of his own, he'd love to use Mr. Satan as the lead protagonist.

(Yes, Mr. Satan was introduced in the Cell arc, but it goes without argument that he was actually developed into a legitimate "character" throughout the Majin Buu arc.)
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:16 am Reply with quote
Divineking wrote:
malvarez1 wrote:
Wait, so they're adapting the Buu arc? YES! I now have no reason to hate Kai anymore.

It would be sweet if they surprised us and used whole new animation.

Considering the show's not airing in Japan, I don;t expect Toei to be that nice about newer animation. Heck I'm half expecting the new movie to look like it's from the 80's. You never know with Toei...

That's great news as the new animation stuck out like a sore thumb and they always threw a terrible blur affect on the newly animated turbo donnie yen fighting while the old animation had it crystal clear.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:34 am Reply with quote
So... if the show's not airing in Japan, why record Japanese dialogue? Though it's glad to see the Japanese cast having fun in their roles.

I don't think the article said they would be doing a straight version of the Buu saga, only that they're doing "new episodes". Kai's ending was weak, and any sort of closure would benefit the series.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:21 am Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
So... if the show's not airing in Japan, why record Japanese dialogue?

Home video, perhaps?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
NJ_

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:32 am Reply with quote
Now that I think about it, here's hoping whoever voiced the Japanese Videl is decent because we all know that Yuko Minaguchi won't be returning. Sad
VegettoEX

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:54 am Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:

Like penguintruth said, home video releases are likely one reason. A few countries also do Japanese broadcasts (subtitled in their own language, of course) on TV for Kai, such as Portugal. It's also likely that instead of just writing rough scripts to go by, international licensees probably want an actual, completed show to adapt -- meaning, one that has already been voiced.

NJ_ wrote:
Now that I think about it, here's hoping whoever voiced the Japanese Videl is decent because we all know that Yuko Minaguchi won't be returning.

I dunno. I have a feeling she'll return. Don't misunderstand -- Gōri's death was an awful situation all around (and I terribly miss his performances going forward), but Minaguchi's comments were also spur-of-the-moment right after learning about his death. Again, not to minimize the loss here, but it's been a bit of time since then. She might be willing to return. We'll certainly find out soon enough, since Videl's already in the mix as-of what Tanaka says they're recording.
jsc315

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:46 am Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
Divineking wrote:
Good news though. Now all the complaints about Kai being "incomplete can finally stop"

And the complaints over the actual ending continues. Rolling Eyes

This pretty much sums it all up Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Polycell

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:15 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:

Home video, perhaps?
Foreign home video, most probably.
NJ_

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:39 am Reply with quote
VegettoEX wrote:
NJ_ wrote:
Now that I think about it, here's hoping whoever voiced the Japanese Videl is decent because we all know that Yuko Minaguchi won't be returning.

I dunno. I have a feeling she'll return. Don't misunderstand -- Gōri's death was an awful situation all around (and I terribly miss his performances going forward), but Minaguchi's comments were also spur-of-the-moment right after learning about his death. Again, not to minimize the loss here, but it's been a bit of time since then. She might be willing to return. We'll certainly find out soon enough, since Videl's already in the mix as-of what Tanaka says they're recording.

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-06-16/voice-actress-yuko-minaguchi-takes-break-to-study-abroad
VegettoEX

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Missed that one! Thanks Smile.
11G4GUNOT

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Dragon ball Kai OVA much?
upcoming premiere on nicktoons yeah right
Ryu Shoji wrote:
the amount of rereleases it's had is ridiculous. Orange bricks, Dragon boxes, FUNi's HD remaster, DBZ Kai...what's next? >>

Budokai hd after dragon ball z for kinect boring

baadaku12345 wrote:
I bet these episodes will be done by the time Vortexx even gets to Buu...

lolwut pass
[edit: Toonzai no longer exists after august 18]
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:15 pm Reply with quote
They can always stunt cast for Videl, like they did with Dende.

Difference is, though, that Videl is an actual important character.

Which reminds me, at least Aya Hirano will have work again.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Ryu Shoji wrote:
Also, the amount of rereleases it's had is ridiculous. Orange bricks, Dragon boxes, FUNi's HD remaster, DBZ Kai...what's next? >>

Dragon Ball GT Toriyama's cut! All he needs to do is to cut out anything he does not like and maybe rewrite most of the plot so you can't put a namek dragon ball thru the continuity holes Laughing
Kid Ryan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:32 am Reply with quote
I AM THE VAST UNIVERSE wrote:
Hell yeah! The impossible has happened! Now just the long wait for Funimation to grab the title and dub it.

Yuppers, hopefully we won't have to wait too long for the FUNi Dub.

thelastgogeta wrote:
Manga Entertainment UK, the latter of which always seem to make the wrong choice of which series to release and when leading to a dubless Blue Exorcist here even now

Blue Exorcist does have an English Dub though, you can watch the first 5 episodes at NeonAlley.com (PS3 Exclusive), for only a $6.99 U.S.D. monthly subscription fine.

SaiyanHero16 wrote:
So I'm guessing that FUNi will still have to license these new episodes.

Why wouldn't they license them? DBZ is one of FUNi's biggest cash cows!
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:38 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
They can always stunt cast for Videl, like they did with Dende.

Difference is, though, that Videl is an actual important character.

Which reminds me, at least Aya Hirano will have work again.

Doubtful, since she was blacklisted by the Namco-Bandai group due of her sex scandal.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5