• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Air Raid

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Seljuk

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Otaking, I've been seriously reading all your posts, and you're pretty much just throwing up excuses because "BAWW ERIN DIDN'T MAKE FMP:TSR SHELF WORTHY BAWWWWWW!!!!!"

Forgive me for using the cruise control there, but really. Give it a rest.
21stcenturydigitalboy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Alestal wrote:
I guess I'll throw my opinion out there. I don't think it's the reviewer or their style that people are getting disapointed at, I think it's the anime that was reviewed that week. For the past few months I haven't really been interested in the anime featured and it's taken some enjoyment out of the article.
I wouldn't mind if Erin threw in a few reviews from past or previously reviewed anime, maybe one per article?

Fun as that may be, it strikes me as quite a bit of work not just to review all of these shows but actually have to watch all of them in a timely-enough manner to post on them. This week was at least a full day's worth of nonstop watching, and I'm sure she didn't watch it all at once... I'm honestly impressed keeping up with a thing like this is even possibly O_o
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Ralifar

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:41 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:

I think Saturn is going out of his/her way to voice their complaints without being rude or nasty so can't you be civil as well?

Yeah, I suppose you're right. I was awake for over 24 hours, so I was being just a tiny bit more of an ass than usual, but I still think my point was valid. Just voicing complaints doesn't serve any purpose when you don't elaborate on them.

Although, as can be seen by Otaking's statements sometimes elaborating on them doesn't do much good either. Razz

Otaking09 wrote:

I get you when you say "author-driven", but, c'mon, you have to notice a bit of a difference of how these titles have been rated.

And for someone to name random series like that to illustrate a point doesn't help me conclude if it is worth checking out or not.

It just doesn't seem like you're making valid points Otaking. Sure you seem to disagree with the way Erin is taking Shelf Life, but that doesn't mean it can be any less helpful to you in deciding whether you want to watch something or not. If you completely disagree with what Erin says then you can probably assume that you don't have similar tastes and use that as a guideline when deciding whether or not something might be shelf worthy to you personally or not.
Otaking09 wrote:

Bamboo, at least not for a long time, hardly EVER used that much references!

I don't even see what Bamboo not using multiple references in the past has to do with anything at all.
Prede

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Otaking09 wrote:

I mean the One Piece section??? you are only supposed to tell us what's so special about this installment, and not babble on about the entire series and it's length... And please, for the love of GOD, stop mentioning other animes!!!

I don't mind her talking about the entire series, even if she's only reviewing part of it. That still makes sense to me. And why shouldn't she mention other anime series? I feel if it's relevent she should totally mention what needs to be brought up (I do it all the time in my reviews, ie compareing "A Wind Named Amnesia" to "Kino's Journey" because they are attemping the same thing, and it gives people a heads up to what "A Wind Named Amnesia" is like. Since many people (although not enough, if you haven't seen this you have to like right now) have seen "Kino's Journey" it is helpful to the reader) . It helps make a review more useful if she can point to another anime series like it (as long as I saw that series of course Razz,) . So I like how she mentions other series. Name dropping series to be cool, not so much. But she hasn't done that.

Boy does this week's shelf life have a lot of hate. People need to learn not to be so evil on the internet Razz. But really why all the hate this time? Ah pay them no mind Erin . I've been finding your reviews informative, helpful, and I love how in debth they are. SO you got one fan here Wink.

Last edited by Prede on Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:08 pm; edited 8 times in total
Otaking09

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Oh well, it doesn't really matter...

I found it to be different, and I stated my opinion. Done.

Sure, I was a bit harsh (yesterday wasn't a good day...), but hey, we all have different statements...

As I said before, FMP: SR has no special place in my heart, but it is a good anime series, so I felt a bit betrayed.

No one, including Erin, should take what I said personally, I just hope next week's Shelf Life will do better for me!
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Arlong Park (starting at episode 31 and ending in the mid 40s I believe) is where a viewer typically gets sucked into the One Piece world. That's where I got sucked in.

Funny. It was the sheer unbearable length of that arc, coupled with spending vast amounts of time in each episode recapping the previous one, that made me actually quit One Piece. Different strokes for different folks. Not everyone is going to like the same thing.
egoist

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:39 pm Reply with quote
That's just a poor excuse. The opening and recaps are done within the first few minutes. Therefore, they are easy to skip.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
35 episodes of 424 (and it's still going) is around one-twelfth of the series itself.

If you're not interested in a grand adventure that you can't even watch 8% of it, then just don't bother.

Fractional comparison arguments don't apply with series this long. I fully agree with UltimateSpaceLion; no one should have to watch 35 episodes of any series just to decided if it is to their taste or not, no matter how long the series may happen to be. You can claim, if you want, that a series gets really good at that point, but to expect people to watch that much before deciding if it's watchable or not is ridiculous. Even the longest of series need to have a strong enough hook up front to keep interest, and most series (especially long shonen series) establish their style early on and don't change it much.

Anything more than 8-10 episodes to figure out if you'll like the whole thing or not is asking too much, and with most shorter series it should be only 4-5 episodes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Animehermit

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
35 episodes of 424 (and it's still going) is around one-twelfth of the series itself.

If you're not interested in a grand adventure that you can't even watch 8% of it, then just don't bother.

Fractional comparison arguments don't apply with series this long. I fully agree with UltimateSpaceLion; no one should have to watch 35 episodes of any series just to decided if it is to their taste or not, no matter how long the series may happen to be. You can claim, if you want, that a series gets really good at that point, but to expect people to watch that much before deciding if it's watchable or not is ridiculous. Even the longest of series need to have a strong enough hook up front to keep interest, and most series (especially long shonen series) establish their style early on and don't change it much.

Anything more than 8-10 episodes to figure out if you'll like the whole thing or not is asking too much, and with most shorter series it should be only 4-5 episodes.

its not like one piece is terrible in the first 30 episodes or so, it just crosses from mildly enjoyable to AWESOME in that arc.

also, Erin, i actually did cry in the chopper arc, particularly that powerful scene when Luffy is carrying Nami and Sanji.
egoist

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Mm. Let me revise my experience with One Piece. The first time I came across this shonen anime, about 3 years ago, I gave up on episode one, simply because I disliked the art and Luffy's personality. Later on(about 2 years later), I remembered that first episode and finally began enjoying right from episode 1. My recommendation still stands, watch up to episode 10 and see if you like it or not. 10 episodes might be the exact number to get used to Luffy and the anime art, and if you do, great for you; enjoy over 400 episodes and 10 movies of pure goodness. And I gotta say, yeah, I enjoyed all of them.

About the FMP discussion. I must say, after watching that anime twice, I began finding many things really annoying. But I was a fool, the second time I watched it subbed instead of dubbed, and the Japanese seiyu were damn annoying, enough to make my ears bleed.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:49 pm Reply with quote
On One Piece: Personally, I got sucked into OP much earlier, during the Kuro arc, which begins around episode 10 or 11, I believe. Kuro and Usopp were both such great characters, it really clicked with me then.

I would say that OP begins getting good around that point, and becomes GREAT during the Arlong arc.

Anyway, I find it interesting that so many people see the show's length as such an entry barrier. It's not like you're obligated to watch it all continuously, or that once you've started to watch it you MUST keep going until the end. Just watch it at whatever rate you feel comfortable watching it. Watch one episode a day, or watch up to a certain point and then take a break for a few weeks. Whatever you prefer.

And if it takes you years to catch up, so what? One of the biggest themes in the series is the idea that the journey is more important than the destination.

On the column itself: I wouldn't change a thing. There are a million impersonal, dry anime review sites out there. What I like about shelf life is that it does include a personal touch from the author. The human touch matters a lot; that's what keeps people coming back to a column, far more than the reviews themselves. I disagreed with a lot of Bamboo's opinions, but I kept coming back every week because I liked what I read about Bamboo, the person. I'm glad Erin is continuing that style.

And comparisons are not only an inevitable part of professional reviewing, they're one of the most useful parts for the audience. Everyone has a favorite series, and everyone is going to compare similar series to it. So telling your reader "if you liked X, you'll like Y," is just common sense.
John Casey

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:10 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
John Casey wrote:
Will everyone in here just shut the frak up, and get a GODAMNED LIFE!?

followed by wrote:
But people aren't being polite, or respectfully disagreeing. Some are, but a good chunk isn't. They're being bigoted douchebags, and that's the problem.

If this is chocolate pudding, I'd like a refund, please.

Constructive criticism here, but I found your post to be the most disrespectful in this entire thread. I certainly didn't appreciate reading it, and I'm sure I'm not alone.

Maybe an edit is in order?

Nope. No edits.

I'm the one eating the pudding, not you. What gives you the right to demand the refund of something that I'm not selling, and you aren't buying? =___=;;

But you know what...? If everyone would just SHUT UP and play nice....I'll share some of it. Anime smile

'Cept Otaking09. Fool's a godamned troll or something. Confused
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:19 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Jesus Christ on a piece of toast, what is this war of wits I see going on here? I never expected to see this on Shelf Life. Come on you guys, that's enough. A review is a review, don't get so bent out of shape about it.

Really? Is this your first time reading the column? Sadly, this is actually pretty standard for Shelf life or really, anything on ANN that expresses an opinion.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Well, the war of wits gets to end right here. As has been stated, people are expected to respond in a civil manner and at least have a discussion that is both civil and respectful. I don't care if the disrespectful actions are to attack the column, or to attack those attacking the columns, or just to be funny, it has no place here and isn't going to be tolerated. Keep this on topic and civil or we'll start handing out pink slips. Geez, this is a forum meant to cater to civil and intelligent discussion and debate, not an elementary school classroom.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
pparker

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Ah, the honeymoon is over Wink. The wedding dress lies cold in the closet, wrapped in plastic...

Erin's style is different, that's all. And it's a column. That is, more personal and conversational than just a series of reviews. That's the point and why I like it. My tastes also pretty much agree so far. Though... It's been a long time since I watched FMP/TSR, but definitely think it's Shelf Worthy if you bought the first two series.

But just as Erin said, "solid entertainment, but I don't think it was $70 worth". Seems like a few posters here never got to that line, or couldn't see it by that time. I wouldn't pay $70 for it either, but would pay the $36.00 at Amazon just to upgrade to BD to watch it cleanly on HD equipment.

On One Piece, there's no way a show should take 35 episodes to get good, or awesome or whatever. I'm not a fan of long-running serials anyway, mostly because I just get bored and am always looking for something new. But especially to think I would have to force myself to sit and watch a season-and-a-half of an anime to get to the "awesome" part... ugh, no thanks. I'll generally decide within 4 episodes whether to continue watching. No different than books. If an author hasn't hooked me by chapter 2 or maybe 3, I'm done with it. One of the appeals to me of 13-26 ep anime is the reasonable length, 26 being about the same time commitment as Lord of the Rings. My enjoyment of the first season is my gauge for watching the next, if any.

I really appreciate the Tokyo Majin comments. Nothing burns my ass more than a show with an awesome start that instills high expectations, followed by mostly crap. You keep going, waiting for more of that first date experience, and in the end have wasted your time.

Anyway, I do miss Bamboo's voice, but Erin is doing an admirable job. I just have to remember that her purpose isn't to fit into Bamboo's shoes. She has her own shoes to wear Wink.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7