• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Code Geass Project's Launch Revealed

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
The ending becomes horrible once you figure out that Lelouch probably could have talked Schneizel into peace, and avoided the whole war. It's like they where trying to go for a Gray Vs. Grey Conflict but because Schneizel and Lelouch's plans are so horriffic it becomes black and black.

Except that: (a) Because of Schneizel's pride and sense of justice, that is highly unlikely to ever succeed, (b) spoiler[that resolution would have lead to the lack of a scapegoat altogether, and even if Lelouch just resoluted to kill Schneizel and create a peaceful country as Emperor, the hatred and fear in the aftermath would be pointed at Damocles, which is an abstract representation. By sacrificing himself, he puts millions of people much more at ease since the root of evil is something tangible that they can understand: one person. If you rememeber, Lelouch geassed the entire collective human consciousness. It's highly likely he gained knowledge about the general psyche of the masses, and concluded that this was by far the best solution. The human psyche is quite weak; even if peace is achieved, few people would gain peace of mind unless Lelouch's plan was successful. Humans in general want closure to their anxieties and want to put painful things behind them for good once and for all, and the masses in the Code Geass world are no different.]

R2 had its fair share of weaknesses and plot holes (although no major ones that I noticed, and I've watched the show three times), but Zero Requiem was not one of them.
Seraphim_Alchemist

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:55 pm Reply with quote
I always knew there would be more CG in the horizon Very Happy!! So I'm glad to hear this about my favorite animated series.

IMHO a good way for a sequel series would be to set it up years after R2 with a different lead as a movie or an OVA series. However I'd be more interested in seeing the Geass Timeline history being animated.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:00 am Reply with quote
frentymon wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:
The ending becomes horrible once you figure out that Lelouch probably could have talked Schneizel into peace, and avoided the whole war. It's like they where trying to go for a Gray Vs. Grey Conflict but because Schneizel and Lelouch's plans are so horriffic it becomes black and black.

Except that: (a) Because of Schneizel's pride and sense of justice, that is highly unlikely to ever succeed, (b) spoiler[that resolution would have lead to the lack of a scapegoat altogether, and even if Lelouch just resoluted to kill Schneizel and create a peaceful country as Emperor, the hatred and fear in the aftermath would be pointed at Damocles, which is an abstract representation. By sacrificing himself, he puts millions of people much more at ease since the root of evil is something tangible that they can understand: one person. If you rememeber, Lelouch geassed the entire collective human consciousness. It's highly likely he gained knowledge about the general psyche of the masses, and concluded that this was by far the best solution. The human psyche is quite weak; even if peace is achieved, few people would gain peace of mind unless Lelouch's plan was successful. Humans in general want closure to their anxieties and want to put painful things behind them for good once and for all, and the masses in the Code Geass world are no different.]

R2 had its fair share of weaknesses and plot holes (although no major ones that I noticed, and I've watched the show three times), but Zero Requiem was not one of them.

Both Lelouch and Schneizel wanted peace, I think that to grown men could have worked together and settled their diffrences, and safely, and easily reformed Britannia, without killing millions of people in horrific pointless massacres.

Zero Requiem represents everything wrong with Code Geass, it's not necessary evil it's just evil because evil is cool. They could have easily have developed Lelouch but they didn't they just changed it so that half the time he was weeping about his horrible actions. They didn't change them because the fanbase wants to see Lelouch massacre people while laughing and that's a huge problem.
Panon

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:03 am Reply with quote
Oh hell yes. This is great news.
parker_655

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:03 am Reply with quote
_V_ wrote:
Given that I'm a big fan of the series from Adult Swim, I'm happy there's more on one level...

...but on the other hand, the question on everyone's minds is:

Given how the series ended, what story can they *possibly* tell in another series?

Huh, it's very possible as ZERO is still alive, and anyone of you who isn't smart enough to figure out how genius the writer was about creating this ending so that it could be argued both ways is not worthy of talking to me, so don't bother quoting me.
P.S. I have literally watched this series 29 times over, if you think you can prove me wrong, add me on msn, [email protected], I'll prove you wrong.

Last edited by parker_655 on Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:06 am; edited 1 time in total
boznia

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:04 am Reply with quote
As long as it's not a rehash film (or films), I'm interested. Even though I didn't care much for R2 overall (it had moments that I enjoyed), I'm curious as to what direction they intend to go if it is indeed a new series or a film based on new material.
BlackJaded

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:04 am Reply with quote
bahamut623 wrote:
Kalessin wrote:
bahamut623 wrote:
I could be remembering that wrong. I also seem to remember (also, possibly incorrectly) Sunrise saying they would like to turn Geass into a Gundam-like franchise, which I would assume entails alternate universe stories.

The difference between Gundam and Code Geass ...

The same could have been said of another Sunrise show, Mai-Hime...but a year or so after, we got Mai-Otome. Yes a lot of the main characters reappeared in Otome, but they were mostly nods to the fans and took second stage to Arika and the rest of the new cast, and the prequel OVA had even less of the original cast. My point being the characters weren't necessarily the defining feature of the series. If there is a defining "gimmick" for Code Geass, it's the Geass powers, and maybe the Knightmares, too. I imagine if this new Geass project is a series, it could very well be another Mai-Otome: an alternate universe, with much of the original cast reappearing in different roles, but with new characters as the protagonists. And of course fans trying to connect it to the original series Laughing (there are actually some good theories about the Hime-Otome connection).

Well to me I think Otome was just fan-service cliche stuff, from the get-go, you know it and I know it. It was just a waste of time at the least. The technology and stuff is so out of touch. But seriously, HiME should have continued at that point and I have good reasons to know why HiME should keep going and it would have been a great series. Besides I don't like Otome one damn bit. Also Sunrise could have been more creative for HiME instead of Otome, that's I do not like what people do and that's becoming lazy and not using their thinking caps.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:09 am Reply with quote
parker_655 wrote:

Huh, it's very possible as ZERO is still alive, and anyone of you who isn't smart enough to figure out how genius the writer was about creating this ending so that it could be argued both ways is not worthy of talking to me, so don't bother quoting me.
P.S. I have literally watched this series 29 times over, if you think you can prove me wrong, add me on msn, [email protected], I'll prove you wrong.

The writer and Director have stated that spoiler[Lelouch is dead]

Last edited by Charred Knight on Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:13 am; edited 1 time in total
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:11 am Reply with quote
Oh god, not again. In typical Bandai fashion, it started off strong and then turned into an incomprehensible mess by the end. I hope this isn't a TV series, because it feels like despite how awkward the end to R2 was, it ended.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:12 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Oh god, not again. In typical Bandai fashion, it started off strong and then turned into an incomprehensible mess by the end. I hope this isn't a TV series, because it feels like despite how awkward the end to R2 was, it ended.

Don't you mean Sunrise?

Personally I agree, tne last good ending a Sunrise series had was Gundam Seed in 2002.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:16 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
parker_655 wrote:

The writer and Director have stated that spoiler[Lelouch is dead]

I bet there's a recant somewhere down the line now. Laughing
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:16 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Don't you mean Sunrise?

Personally I agree, tne last good ending a Sunrise series had was Gundam Seed in 2002.

Yeah, them, whatever that whole clusterfudge of stuff is these days. No, I'd say even Gundam Seed became enraging due to the sheer stupidity of the main characters, the idealouges, and the exact copy of the first Gundam. Whatever, I guess they'll pursue whatever prints money, but I don't think Geass has enough to build off of it, unless...they take it in another direction and get rid of all that magic and noodle character stuff and let someone like Takahashi direct.
Stmurda23

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:17 am Reply with quote
ninjapet wrote:
I hope there making a anime out of one of the spin off manga or novels.

im speechless n in awe one of the greatest series of all time is getting some add on content like ps3 games =D
nightjuan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:17 am Reply with quote
@walw6pK4Alo, Charred Knight:

Something tells me neither of you are looking forward to the Gundam 00 movie either. Laughing

Though I do happen to disagree. I'd say the ending was too idealistic, but remained fairly easy to comprehend and actually made the series recover a few points in my book.

None of which has anything to do with the new project unless they want to make it a direct continuation instead of anything else, of course, which I'm hoping they don't. There's enough alternatives available.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:22 am Reply with quote
A little bit, maybe. But that show felt completely vapid, like I was only watching it for the sparkles. Maybe I wasn't trying hard enough, but I got the feeling that the characters lacked any kind of personality or motivation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 12