• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
User Ratings

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
megafilipe

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:03 pm Reply with quote
At any anime page user ratings graphic are always wrong
isnt there any way to fix it?
an exemple of tons that are by here:
http://i49.tinypic.com/fo12x3.jpg

notice how the masterpiece is far from the right, when it have the almost the same as excellent ratings

[Mod Edit: Set your image to a link since it extends the forum off the right edge of the screen for anyone viewing at 1280x1024 or lower on a standard sized screen. - Keonyn]
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:38 pm Reply with quote
First of all, this really belongs in the Bugs and Technical Questions sub-forum.

Second, please don't use such big pictures.

Third, I can see why you'd be confused, but it's not like you are the first person to think something was wrong. If there was an actual problem it wouldn't have lasted all these years, I can assure you.

Fourth, what's happening is that the ratings are weighted. This is to stop deliberate spam, and more innocently, those whose voting tendencies threaten to skew results beyond the normal spread. People who only rate highly or lowly, and I'm not sure if that applies to one or both, well their votes actually are worth less than people who have a more "natural" spread. I am not privy to exactly what a natural spread looks like (I assume a bell curve of some sort), and I am also not privy to whether or not having your votes weigh less is like a light switch (either on or off) or a dimmer switch (multiple levels of votes weighing less).

But those considerations only matter to ANN Admin. All you have to worry about is that in your example the Masterpiece bar is significantly lower than the Excellent bar because more people who only rate highly or lowly have voted Masterpiece rather than Excellent.
rti9

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:28 pm Reply with quote
An explanation/discussion with staff members, can be found here:
animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=505945
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1