• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - The Ru-ins

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:54 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Joe Mello wrote:

It feels like it's been forever since there's been a new Chicks on Anime . . . :3

I must be that special kind of prude that is turned off by nudity more often than not.

Chicks on Anime has actually been cancelled; Bamboo felt the column had pretty much run its course.

We will in the future be inviting Bamboo, Sara and other guests on ANNCast for special COA "branded" podcasts.

That's unfortunate, but I understand. I like big-idea discussions like that, since it's a nice departure from the typical newsbits and forces people to think.
nechronius

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:21 am Reply with quote
Saki - Remember when Crunchyroll was running their "gather tiles, get free membership months" a while back? Yea, I tried and probably watched this series more than I care to admit, even if it was just playing in the background.

I concur that episodes around 9-19 were the best to watch once you've established some character background, since that's when all the "hot mahjong action" happens. The ending is more of an anticlimax hinting at some sequel that may be many years away.

So yea, I think it's a bit unfair to rate the series without checking out at least a few of those episodes even if the rating may not change. As far as mahjong is concerned, I have no interest in the game beyond what little I picked up watching the series, which I imagine is the equivalent of almost every hand being a straight or better.

To Love Ru - I remember finding a few funny moments like Lala's ridiculously named gadgetry and scenes like at the aquarium. Mostly forgettable however. Without the fan service you really don't have much substance to the show as it's pretty derivative.

Some series I only watch in their entirely because I'm a completist. To Love Ru was one of them, but better than most other similar drek I've seen. Saki was enjoyable even though the almost-fan service and heavy yuri overtones were often annoying.

Last edited by nechronius on Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:25 am Reply with quote
jamesleung wrote:

Actually there are several types of mahjong including Hong Kong/Cantonese Mahjong (the most common) and Japanese Standard Mahjong (as portrayed in Saki).

Aaand my Joy Luck Club reference falls flat on its face. Embarassed

However, I did not know which kind of mahjong was used in Saki, so thank you. I know enough to know that there are many forms of the game, but not enough to recognize each one.
nechronius

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:31 am Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
Aaand my Joy Luck Club reference falls flat on its face. Embarassed

However, I did not know which kind of mahjong was used in Saki, so thank you. I know enough to know that there are many forms of the game, but not enough to recognize each one.

I caught the reference. Hearkens back to a Time when I really had a thing for this Chinese girl at school...

I don't think your grandmother would really dig Saki though unless she enjoys her mahjong heavily flavored with lesbian subtext. Not that I'm judging, of course.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:53 am Reply with quote
Thanks, Nechronius. Very Happy

Yeah, I guess Grandma might find that a bit odd, although she's a very...special...lady. She's out to become queen of her assisted living facility and has started a book club and a mahjong club along with learning to play bridge. You never know - watching lesbian mahjong cartoons might give her an air of mystique. Wink
CaptainAvatar

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:50 pm Reply with quote
If the first half of To Love-Ru was OK, the second half is less so. I thought the further away from the manga they got, the worse it got. Unfortunately it doesn't seem we will be gettting the manga released in the US, and due to circumstances the manga didn't end well anyway. The second close is much better than the open/first close if anything for the great song!

As far as Saki is concerned, the matches are the best part of the series, although they do get way over the top towards the end. I was finding myself rolling my eyes more and more as it went along. Still, I enjoyed the series overall. Now I just need to find someone who makes a Mahjong set in English that I could pick up here in the US! Razz
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:40 pm Reply with quote
If anyone wants to learn mah-jong* I assume Yahoo Games still has an active mah-jong section with a beginners section. I used to play there years ago. The only problem is (was?) the board's inability to enforce "fan" rules- something you'll have to eventually learn to play a decent game.

*probably cantonese rules- I don't know the distinctions- it's the most common international version, certainly not the Japanese version
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Showsni

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
They win because they are impossibly lucky. I think the key to Saki's final two team games was spoiler[pulling exactly the right tile from the wall 2-4 times in a row and those were the only tiles that would have allowed her to win.] If you really understand how ridiculously improbable these games are you may just lose interest.

Yeah, Saki basically has magical powers that allow her to know exactly what tiles are in the wall and in the other player's hands... When she plays on the internet, and is thus unable to use her mind reading tricks, she's a much worse player. Nodoka is the other end of the spectrum; if she doesn't allow her emotions to get in the way, she can play a statistically perfect game, going for the most probable wins.

If anyone wants to play a flash version of Japanese mahjong in English against the computer, try here: http://www.gamedesign.jp/flash/mahjong/mahjong_e.html
Almaz

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:37 pm Reply with quote
billborden wrote:
"Let me re-iterate here that a “Rental Shelf” rating is an “OK”. It's not a pan. If you got a B on a test, did you fail? No! (Unless you're some kind of perfectionist freak.) "Shelf Worthy" titles are worth owning, and rental titles are probably worth watching. "

The problem isn't that it's a "bad" rating, it's just that it's useless. If 95% of the reviews are "eahh Neutral ", eventually, it doesn't mean anything. It's safe, but not useful in any practical sense.

I agree with you; however, it seems some of the people do not care. I do not see a purpose in having a rating system when the majority of the titles are rental. Bamboo had used the system better in that fact than Erin. As of Erin's writings, the reviews are well written even though I do not share the same views. People can have their own opinion. I just find the verdicts too harsh or not harsh enough to make their column worth reading. Anyone can sit on the fence.
CaptainAvatar

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Showsni wrote:

If anyone wants to play a flash version of Japanese mahjong in English against the computer, try here: http://www.gamedesign.jp/flash/mahjong/mahjong_e.html

Call me old fashioned, but I would rather have the table game. I build PC's all the time, and have even run a server room in the past, but I have never been much of an online gamer. Now if anyone knows where I could pick up an english version of the game in board/table format, please do tell!
ArthurFrDent

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:09 pm Reply with quote
"Now if anyone knows where I could pick up an english version of the game in board/table format, please do tell" snl67

er, amazon is your friend...
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:48 pm Reply with quote
I have no qualms with the plot to El Cazador. The characters were interesting, the dynamic relationship developing between Nadie and Ellis was great, each episode was an adventure in it's self but didn't fall into Episodic Hell like Pokemon has become. Frankly your complaints are moot. It's a hell of a lot better written than Tokyo 8.0 was and a lot more intriguing than FMA has ever been.
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:57 am Reply with quote
nechronius wrote:
So yea, I think it's a bit unfair to rate the series without checking out at least a few of those episodes even if the rating may not change.

But I gave it the highest rating possible for a streaming series...? Based on these suggestions, I'll definitely check out 9-19 when I have time.

Princess_Irene wrote:
Grandma... [snip] She's out to become queen of her assisted living facility and has started a book club and a mahjong club along with learning to play bridge.

That's funny... My husband's retirement plans include starting a Dungeons and Dragons campaign in his assisted living facility equivalent.

Yuki_Kun45 wrote:
I have no qualms with the plot to El Cazador. [snip] ...and a lot more intriguing than FMA has ever been.

I respectfully disagree! An alternate universe with alchemists is more entertaining any day of the week than some boring nonsense about spoiler[resurrecting witches].
Almaz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:42 am Reply with quote
Yuki_Kun45 wrote:
I have no qualms with the plot to El Cazador. [snip] ...and a lot more intriguing than FMA has ever been.

erinfinnegan wrote:
I respectfully disagree! An alternate universe with alchemists is more entertaining any day of the week than some boring nonsense about spoiler[resurrecting witches].

I do agree with Erin even though I kinda wish El Cazador went into the perishable. Witch Hunter Robin did a better job with that type of storyline, and FMA (and Brotherhood) was vastly superior in story. I like some of Bee Train stuff like Noir (which can get repetitious) and Phantom. However, El Cazador was boring. I keep expecting more from the story, only to get a lackluster ending.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:46 am Reply with quote
Whoa, it's that guy in DBZ that Goku blew up by making him absorb too much light! I didn't know a figure existed for him. And is that the train conductor in Spirited Away?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4