• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime channel in the UK?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rachelahyde

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:49 pm Reply with quote
I live in the UK - does anybody reading this know if there is an anime channel available? I only got into manga about six months ago and as yet have not managed to see any anime at all. My local DVD library has nothing, neither has the library and as I pay for a Sky subscription I was hoping for something there. I was told that there had been but it had been taken off, and then somebody else said that there was a new one...anybody know more?
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:12 pm Reply with quote
There's something on Sky Digital channel 199, at least according to its website. I don't watch any television, so I've no idea how good it is.
In the somewhat-likely case that this is the channel which you claim to have been taken down, you still have some legal options to watch anime:

There are a couple of shows you'll be able to watch for free on Crunchyroll, and quite a few available on Funimation's website. In the case of the former be prepared to look around for the things which aren't restricted to R1.
Most anime in print within the UK is also available to rent from Lovefilm.

If there's nothing there that tickles your fancy, may I be the first person to welcome you to my world.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Showsni

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:44 pm Reply with quote
I think that Anime Central's now only on for 2 hours (4am to 6am) on channel 188. Even when it was a full channel it only ever seemed to show Ghost in the Shell SAC 2nd Gig followed by Cowboy Bebop followed by GitS SAC 2nd Gig followed by Cowboy Bebop followed by Gh... etc, etc.

So, there's that. Pop Girl shows Mew Mew Power. Kix shows Medabots and sometimes Beyblade. CiTV shows Pokémon and Yugioh GX. And that's about it for anime in the UK.

Those are only the free channels on Sky, as we don't pay for a subscription; as a subscriber, there may be some more.
pete1986

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Unfort there doesnt seem to be any other channels on sky (free or subscription) for anime at least at the moment. There were a number of channels a few years ago that showed some series such as rapture tv, even bravo if i remember right. Anime central was brilliant at the start but in its last few months just showed cowboy bebop and Gits repeats every night(still very good shows)

There was talk of animax having a channel, though for all the talk theres been no progress which is annoying as it broadcasts in english and has the channel avaliable in some areas of europe.

Seems like anime fans in UK and Ireland have to rely on dvds and the internet to get to see shows. Hopefully that will change soon.
12skippy21

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:55 pm Reply with quote
There have been only two anime channels on UK satellite. AnimeCentral was shut down in Sept 08 and Propeller which ran anime specials in 07. However I'm pretty sure Propeller has been taken off air also.

As mentioned above Animax was suppose to come to the UK, but no news has surfaced since 2007. So don't count on Animax at all, especially since the last news on it suggested it would be pay-per-view.

Ghost in the Shell is on Scuzz though Laughing at about 12am. So just enjoy the metal music instead (unless its gone the way of Kerrang and turned s***!)
Jkid

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Sadly based on the infomation and from my last trip from the UK, it's none. Don't hold your breath for Animax for bring a channel to the UK, you might as well watch your anime online.
mouseycou

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:48 pm Reply with quote
there is no anime channel in the UK at all, and you can only watch dubbs if you find any on other channels. In the past Fox Kids (now Jetix) used to show a few different animes, including medabots and for a short time they even showed Sailor Moon (but that was about 11 years ago). Your best bet is to find a local anime store to buy DVD's or Videos or look online for a store from which you can rent. However this makes your anime selection rather limited, so a lot of people opt to watch anime and read manga online.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Nope, no new channels have popped up in the last year Rolling Eyes

You can, however, now watch anime legally online at Crunchyroll, The Anime Network, FUNimation's Youtube channel (hit and miss as to which shows are available however) and a few smaller outfits like manga.co.uk and Gong.

While we have a lot less anime on DVD than the US, to call it "limited" is a bit shortsighted as Amazon has pages and pages (and you can import US DVDs via up1.co.uk, otaku.co.uk or righstuf.com etc.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
SatoshiAaron

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Well organically Anime Network made a contract with Propeller TV to have 2 hours of streaming of Anime available in the UK. They soon stopped streaming for Propeller...

Propeller is a TV channel for company's whom don't have a TV channel and will give the company a certain amount of live streaming time.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Ignoring that this is increasingly old history.. I think you may be confusing broadcast with streaming.

Relevant article:
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2007-09-13/uk%27s-propeller-tv-expands-anime-network-to-daily-block
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1