• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Yes We Kun

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Almaz

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:03 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
Almaz wrote:
... On top of that, they are redoing the dub. ...

AFAIU, the dub is already done, but it only had electronic distribution. This is its first release on physical media.

Indeed, that might have been part of why they picked 5cm/s ... with a dub already available, they can start out with a hybrid release.

If they do Aoi Hana, I'd expect it to be a sub-only release, and would hope they'd be able to work with Nozomi.

You are right. I went over to Wiki and read up on it. I never watched the version on Crunchyroll so I did not know. I guess since it is taking to September-October to release due to Bandai putting out the DVD? Bandai has been having problems getting titles to hit their release date already.

Many of the titles on Crunchyroll would probably be released with a sub only format with the state of the anime sales. Funimation and Viz are the only ones with cash cows to help subsidize dubbing non-profit series.
garfield15

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:42 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
Personally I'm a pragmatist, so what I care about is that Crunchyroll is doing the right thing now. I don't really give a damn if they ever go around putting on a repentant sinner act, as the copyright moralists would clearly prefer.

This. I agree with this.
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:46 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
LordRedhand wrote:
A lifetime plus 70 ...
... would under a less pro-corporate Supreme Court be held unconstitutional ...

... which is completely beside the point for fansubbing. The Disney corruption of copyright has nothing to do with the practice of distributing without permission the raw of an anime the year it was produced, with or without an attached derivative work of subtitling, which is trampling on the rights of the creators under the most liberal imaginable copyright regime..

Which if everything is working properly is how it's supposed to work, the courts decide exactly what limits there are. This shortening of copyright needs to be approached legally if it is going to be listened to, instead of circumventing the system. Right now however that is the law that is in place, so you deal with that one, not the law you wished it to be. So if your in the U.S. try writing your federal representatives and senators to change the law.

@tanteikingdommonkey taking a quick look at their website they have offices in Tokyo and L.A. so by default they fall under both jurisdictions of copyright laws. If they formed as a U.S. company they would have to follow U.S. laws in terms of copy right and vice versa. Because both Japan and the U.S. are under the Berne Convention the standards for their enforcement would be similar. For the U.S. that means that it is copyrighted the instant pen leave page, so as an example if I write a haiku on my Hardee's napkin, it is copyrighted although to file suit I need to register it. Changing of anime series comes from either the license itself or the local standards of where you are releasing (For example the Soul Calibur released in Korea is different from the one released to the rest of the world, logically a Soul Calibur anime series would face the same issues.) As you do have to meet the standards and practices of where you are releasing as well.
agila61

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:50 pm Reply with quote
LordRedhand wrote:
... This shortening of copyright needs to be approached legally if it is going to be listened to, instead of circumventing the system.

My point there is that the shortening of the copyright argument is bogus because we are not talking about the urge of all the fansubbers to sub Astro Boy and Senin Buraku ... all of the fansubs that the leech streaming sites rely on for their advertising revenue is anime produced within the past twenty years, and well over 90%+ of their views will be on anime produced within the past five.

The fact that the thoroughly corrupted US political system has allowed Disney to keep extending copyright limits to avoid Mickey Mouse falling into the public domain is a total red herring for creative content that is under copyright in Berne Convention countries. The minimum copyright on cinematography under the Berne convention is 50 years after first release, for photography 25 years, and for other copyrighted works 50 years after the death of the author.

That's also why the "why should US rules apply" argument is bogus ... there are well established international agreements that govern the respect of copyright. Since, eg, Romania and Japan are both signatories to the Berne convention, then in return for Japan respecting the copyright on creative works from Romania, Romania respects the copyright on creative words from Japan. Its a multi-lateral agreement.

Most countries are signatories ... according to Wikipedia, not Afghanistan, Angola*, Burundi*, Cambodia*, North Korea, Democratic Republic of the Congo (Congo-Kinsasha), Ethopia, Guatemala, Iran, Iraq, Kiribati*, Kuwait, Laos, Maldives*, Mozambique*, Myanmar* (Burma), Nauru, Palau, PNG*, San Marino, Sao Tome e Principe, Seychelles, Sierre Leone*, Solomon Islands*, Somalia, Taiwan*, Turkmenistan, Tuvalu, Uganda*, Vanuatu (while still above water).

And even in that list, the ones that are marked "*" are signatories to TRIPS, the WTO annex on IP, so the same minimum 50 years for cinematography applies.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:51 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
Almaz wrote:

AFAIU, the dub is already done, but it only had electronic distribution. This is its first release on physical media.

No, this dub is on the R4 and I believe the R2 (UK) discs. This is just the first time it's been used in the R1.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
agila61

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:52 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
agila61 wrote:
Almaz wrote:

No, this dub is on the R4 and I believe the R2 (UK) discs. This is just the first time it's been used in the R1.

Thanks for that. Madman lists their release as R2 & R4, so I am assuming they have the Bang Zoom dub rather than the AVD one?

Last edited by agila61 on Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
CG-LOVER

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:03 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
Wow. Major respect to Zac for taking that guy to task about Crunchyroll's past. So glad you caught him dancing around the question.

I still don't think he even answered the question at all. I mean he did say that he doesn't want these new sites to operate illegally. However he failed to tell us whether or not he felt he was somewhat responsible for their actions, which is ultimately what the question asked. And listening to how Zac responded to his final answer I think he realized this as well, however I guess he didn't want to make the conversation too uncomfortable by pushing the issue further.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Almaz wrote:
I find it interesting to hear things like "honor among thieves." I know many people are tiffed about Crunchyroll hosting fansubs in their beginning. Funny that many anime groups and cons had fansubs shown a few years ago. Some people watch a few episodes just for review. Some people do not watch at all (even though I am sure some of those people bend the copyright laws in other ways.) The point is .... life is not fair. Japanese anime companies shaft their own people to produce these same shows. Paying people little money. People just look away. No one boycotts the anime studios for outsourcing their own culture. If you want to boycott Crunchyroll, just do it and be quiet. Until you right all of the wrongs in the world, you are still a hypocrite. I am one too.

I'm guessing you never went to The original Crunchyroll. Before the network deals, Crunchyroll was a full-on illegal operation. we're not talking some click-and-watch site here, they were actually charging monthly fees to watch fansubs that they stole from other groups. there was nothing honorable about its at all. This is why so many people have personal issues with this company.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:50 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:

The R2UK discs haven't been released yet. We've been waiting rather a long time for them too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
qollocust

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:51 pm Reply with quote
I'm excited to hear that CR is working on streaming through game consoles a la Netflix, I just hope they include the Wii in that initiative. I now watch most of my movies and tv through Netflix on the Wii and it's really frustrating to not be able to do something like that with anime. I would watch so much more stuff if I could stream it to my TV rather than my computer.
garfield15

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:56 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
Almaz wrote:
I find it interesting to hear things like "honor among thieves." I know many people are tiffed about Crunchyroll hosting fansubs in their beginning. Funny that many anime groups and cons had fansubs shown a few years ago. Some people watch a few episodes just for review. Some people do not watch at all (even though I am sure some of those people bend the copyright laws in other ways.) The point is .... life is not fair. Japanese anime companies shaft their own people to produce these same shows. Paying people little money. People just look away. No one boycotts the anime studios for outsourcing their own culture. If you want to boycott Crunchyroll, just do it and be quiet. Until you right all of the wrongs in the world, you are still a hypocrite. I am one too.

I'm guessing you never went to The original Crunchyroll. Before the network deals, Crunchyroll was a full-on illegal operation. we're not talking some click-and-watch site here, they were actually charging monthly fees to watch fansubs that they stole from other groups. there was nothing honorable about its at all. This is why so many people have personal issues with this company.

Just adding to this, they were charging monthly fees for high quality. You could still watch the stuff, just in SD.

Not justifying it. Just saying.
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Agila61 you have to follow the laws of the country you operate in, that's pretty basic. Thus following U.S. and Japanese copyright in Crunchyroll's case makes sense, that is where they say they are, physically.

But yes even by the Berne Convention Standards what is being done by illegal distribution is still wrong, however any debate on shortening or changing copyright law is going to be in the U.S. legislative and judicial branches.

So in that part we can agree at least.
agila61

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:34 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
I'm guessing you never went to The original Crunchyroll. Before the network deals, Crunchyroll was a full-on illegal operation. we're not talking some click-and-watch site here, they were actually charging monthly fees to watch fansubs that they stole from other groups.

... who had stolen the material themselves ...

Quote:
there was nothing honorable about its at all. This is why so many people have personal issues with this company.

Yes, if they had never gone to Japan and had never told the Japanese that it was the rights owner's decision whether the site shut down or started legit streaming ... they would have shut down by now, since they never made enough money to cover their hosting costs. But as long as they continued to operate as a bootleg hosting site, they were being a scumbag bootleg anime hosting site.

They of course can't do any more than they did, so people who are not satisfied that they did go to Japan and put the decision in the hands of the rights owners ... want what, exactly?
Almaz

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:43 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
Almaz wrote:

I believe my no "honor among thieves" comment applies. I know what Crunchyroll did. Truth be known. It is no different from one recording said shows and uploading them. Nor is it different from putting subtitles on the shows and uploading them. IMOHO , making a profit of it does change the situation from fandom to piracy , the Japanese legitimized the operation by what they did. I would have shut the site down and start another site to at least burn that bridge. Get the people to set it up and call it fill in the blank. Whatever.

It is funny that until Americanism came to Japan; Japan had a really loose rules on their rules regarding I.P. Unless the material is outright plagiarism, people could do things like create doujin and video games. The Japanese thought of it as fan based advertising, and a way to keep certain franchises fresh in people mind. Now, everyone is having a #$%$ fit over this and wanting to drain the blood out of the customers. Believe me, American companies WANT you to pay for every copy of shows, music, etc. much like it is on cell phones already. Have a DVD of x show. You will have to pay for the same show to be put on your Iphone. Things like record shows off of TV and ripping CD are being tried to be removed.

Things are getting out of control on the Internet. Both sides are now moving to anarchy as fast as it can. I do not like what is coming around the corner. I do know I am not going to buy something blind. If I like a show on TV, I am likely to get something concerning the show be it DVD, music, games, etc. The Japanese do need to get more visibility. Between Crunchyroll, Funimation, and Hulu, that is happening now. However, it is not going to save the world. I do not know about the anime industry, but things die off people. Companies, countries, people, etc. do fade away. Getting ticked over it and crapping on a company that the Japanese companies ordained is not helping the issue. Move on. You can still not support Crunchyroll, but it is the first move in the right direction even if it is an illegitimate birth.
bayoab

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:45 am Reply with quote
Almaz wrote:
It is funny that until Americanism came to Japan; Japan had a really loose rules on their rules regarding I.P. Unless the material is outright plagiarism, people could do things like create doujin and video games. The Japanese thought of it as fan based advertising, and a way to keep certain franchises fresh in people mind.

This isn't true. Japanese copyright was always more restrictive, especially toward digital works. Doujins and all of those have always existed under their own set of rules and continue to do so.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6