• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Black Butler Author Decries Illegal Videos, Downloads

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:57 pm Reply with quote
You guys are killing me. Fans send her messages saying "hey, I just watched your stuff without paying for it", and she doesn't have a right to say anything about it. Sure you can get into another ethics argument, but at the end of the day it's still her stuff.

Last edited by v1cious on Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Thing is, I wound't own 26 volumes of Negima, 26 volumes of Tsuabsa, 5 volumes of MegaTokyo, 5 volumes of Future Diary, 11 volumes of Rosario + Vampire, 7 volumes of Dance In The Vampire Bund, 5 volumes of Mai Hime, 5 volumes of Nightmare Of Nuanlly and the Azumanga Daioh Omnibus if I HADN'T downloaded and read them online.
ZiharkXVI

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:58 pm Reply with quote
jrnemanich wrote:

It is not "overly dramatic", it is a person defending their copyrighted work. How would you like it if you patented and copyrighted a one-of-a-kind invention that people loved, but then someone leaked the blueprints and now the invention is made without your consent, and you don't receive any royalties from the subsequent creation of you said invention.

You would be pissed and outraged and would seek legal action.

It is just that once an item goes digital and gets on the net, it can be copied and downloaded to so many people and places so many times, it is practicality impossible for any legal team to seek legal action.

The only thing the creators of manga and anime can do is plead to their fans, to stop doing these illegal activities, and find a legal method.

And the point about mangaka and anime prouduces/directors dieing from scanlations and fansubs, we don't hear about that, but we do hear mangaka having longterm leave because of stress and other health related issues, and this might just be speculation, but i bet some of the stress is from knowing that they are not going to revive the royalties that they deserve but will never receive. (finical stress is one of the worst kinds of stress.

It is overly dramatic. And I might be VERY upset if I didn't expect this. But this has been going on for over a decade now. What, she just got the news today through her fans messages? What sort of dream world is this person living in?

Anyways, I've worked in industries where piracy is a problem. I don't stand on the street corner bemoaning my certain doom though. Its expected, and if necessary, the industry takes action.
garfield15

DmonHiro wrote:
Thing is, I wound't own 26 volumes of Negima, 26 volumes of Tsuabsa, 5 volumes of MegaTokyo, 5 volumes of Future Diary, 11 volumes of Rosario + Vampire, 7 volumes of Dance In The Vampire Bund, 5 volumes of Mai Hime, 5 volumes of Nightmare Of Nuanlly and the Azumanga Daioh Omnibus if I HADN'T downloaded and read them online.
Yeah, but you did eventually buy them.

I think she's pissed at those who never do nor intend to.

Last edited by garfield15 on Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hanners

ZiharkXVI wrote:
Dude, show me the news story where mangaka dies from lack of manga selling. Its called, "find another place of employment."

You're absolutely right, but what happens when all of your favourite mangaka take your advice and go into alternative employment outside of the industry?
ZiharkXVI

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Hanners wrote:

You're absolutely right, but what happens when all of your favourite mangaka take your advice and go into alternative employment outside of the industry?

I'm sad. Fortunately for me I suppose, Black Butler isn't my favorite (I actually saw it on a legal stream! Lol!).

Honestly though, I don't think her fans have to worry about her going out of business. They just have to worry about how they view her stuff.

Last edited by ZiharkXVI on Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
stardust462

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:11 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
You guys are killing me. Fans sends her a message saying "hey, I just watched your stuff without paying for it", and she doesn't have a right to say anything about it. Sure you can into another ethics argument, but at the end of the day it's still her stuff.

Exactly. She probably does know it's going and expects it. But it's the fact that fans are writing her, telling her how awesome her manga is, but they didn't pay a dime for it. Really, how dumb and insulting can you be? Just say you like it - don't mention you got it illegally!

I don't care if people do fansubs or read scanlations, as long as they buy some things (even if it's merchandise).
EvilTaxi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:12 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:

You're definitely the exception and not the rule. The local anime store that I frequent has reported a spike in sales because a certain scanlation hosting site took all of their manga down. "I'm buying because I can't read it online anymore!" is the usual refrain.

Given the option between reading/watching for free, buying, and reading then buying, most people would gladly take the first.
darkslayer709

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:15 pm Reply with quote
First of all I do not condone piracy; I think that if you like a series enough to download it or watch it on the internet then you should be prepared to support the creator and pay for it.

However; it's all well and good to suggest all of these streaming sites but most of these sites do not air for me as I live in the UK. What exactly am I supposed to do? I know there is Crunchyroll but there is something I just despise about that site.

So yes I will find other places to stream anime and read mangascans and yes, it is illegal but when it comes down to it - I buy every series that I like when it finally comes out. If I don't like it I stop watching it. I don't think I should be made out to be a criminal because the access where I live is limited. But then I'm sure there are plenty of people who do pirate anime who aren't like me.
ZiharkXVI

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:16 pm Reply with quote
stardust462 wrote:

Exactly. She probably does know it's going and expects it. But it's the fact that fans are writing her, telling her how awesome her manga is, but they didn't pay a dime for it. Really, how dumb and insulting can you be? Just say you like it - don't mention you got it illegally!

I don't care if people do fansubs or read scanlations, as long as they buy some things (even if it's merchandise).

I'm guessing her fans aren't all that bright. Or old. You know how many young kids have no idea what they watch streaming online may not be legal?

Anyways, they could just be fans informing her of general piracy too.

Not sure which of the two it would be. I'm guessing the former.
FeralKat

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:16 pm Reply with quote
I am shocked at the amount of butthurt that is going on in this thread. Mad I guess when fans hear it from the creator's mouth, the excuses they've been using to fuel their self-entitled entertainment goes down the drain.

As for the people who bought Kuroshitsuji merch or DVDs, kudos to you, but the majority of the fans out there don't have your moral intent.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:21 pm Reply with quote
I'm with the mangaka on this obviously. Yes, she might have gotten a little emotional, but I mean, how is she supposed to have a positive view of the "fansub/scanlation" crowd if they're writing her stupid, selfish letters like this? I highly doubt she's gotten any letters saying, "I downloaded your series illegally first, but then I purchased it to support you! Keep up the good work!" or the like.

Well, I bought vol. 1 of the manga last Friday and it was a good start. I'll definitely keep following the manga and pick up the anime when it comes out.
garfield15

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:25 pm Reply with quote
darkslayer709 wrote:
First of all I do not condone piracy; I think that if you like a series enough to download it or watch it on the internet then you should be prepared to support the creator and pay for it.

However; it's all well and good to suggest all of these streaming sites but most of these sites do not air for me as I live in the UK. What exactly am I supposed to do? I know there is Crunchyroll but there is something I just despise about that site.

I was about to say "when it comes to region restriction, it is a bit more understandable as to why one would steal" until you brought up the "CR is despicable." I mean, they are streaming to the UK. Probably the only legal site consistently doing so.
ZiharkXVI

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:27 pm Reply with quote
I suppose I feel for the mangaka.

But still just lol'ing at everyone who thinks she is in some righteous fury.

I mean, you walk into a dark alley, you know what you're getting into right? Still gonna be tragic when you get mugged and robbed, but that's the point at which those of us with more sense have to question why you did that anyways.

She writes a manga, and then is shocked and appalled when its read online? Shocked that others are watching the anime for free? Cmon now. She knew, or SHOULD HAVE KNOWN what she was getting into.

No need to berate those who probably have no idea how illegal it is. Better off venting some anger at the people who REFUSE to enforce the laws for whatever reason they may have.
darkslayer709

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:30 pm Reply with quote
garfield15 wrote:

I was about to say "when it comes to region restriction, it is a bit more understandable as to why one would steal" until you brought up the "CR is despicable." I mean, they are streaming to the UK. Probably the only legal site consistently doing so.

You do make a good point but I still have to pay for this service. Whilst I know that it's not an unreasonable amount - again when I have no experience of the series it's a bit much to shell out money when elsewhere people can view it (legally) for free.

I can see her point; but I don't think what I'm doing is wrong. I'm buying the Kuroshitsuji manga now it's coming out in Engish, I will buy the DVDs once they're out. I would never download something and never purchase the real thing. That's not the kind of person I am.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 28