• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime News Network to Launch 1st Simulcast, Oreimo

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Olivine

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:17 pm Reply with quote
garfield15 wrote:
She buys them because she thinks the imoutou are cute.

Which is a real Peripherary Demographic for bishoujo games in Japan (albeit very very low)

Interesting. There's actually a niche like that? I wonder how they get around the obvious problem.

I mean, f I wanted to get my bromance on (which I would, if anyone has played through the Little Busters! VN, Kyosuke is about the most bromantic character ever), I would have to play the games aimed at women...which would most likely involve some sort of intimate assault on a mans without clothing at one point in the story. I wouldn't be able to summon up the necessary mental shielding for that (...maybe for Kyosuke Onii-chan <3). They would have to figure out how to deal with the intimate assaults on womens without clothing.

Maybe that's just a me thing. Either that or they just desperately mash the space bar until the grunting stops.

*refrains from quoting Freud for giggles*

I will say that I am getting more and more intrigued by this show as I hear about it, though. Very Happy
Zhemos88

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Are we gonna have to pay anything? Do I gotta be a *ANN subscriber* also is it gonna stream in 720p? I really wish crunchyroll would have got this. :\
toyNN

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Zhemos88 wrote:
... I really wish crunchyroll would have got this. :\

Me too but its a good pickup for the 1st simi-cast by ANN. Now I hope their player doesn't suck.
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:31 pm Reply with quote
garfield15 wrote:

She buys them because she thinks the imoutou are cute.

Which is a real Peripherary Demographic for bishoujo games in Japan (albeit very very low)

I happen to be part of that Periphery Demographic. Anime catgrin Not a huge fan of imouto-type characters, though. I like kuudere best.
Ranma824

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Zhemos88 wrote:
Are we gonna have to pay anything? Do I gotta be a *ANN subscriber* also is it gonna stream in 720p? I really wish crunchyroll would have got this. :\

This brings up another interesting point:

Now that ANN is streaming, that makes 4/5 different places to go if I want to watch a specific show. One of these places already charges for "early" viewing and HD. (CR) But what if another site starts doing the same as well (like ANN); and then another follows suit?

I gotta tell ya, I don't relish the fact of being a subscriber to several different websites just for one show or several shows. I pay for CR right now, and don't plan on joining anything else in the foreseeable future. But even that might change if the streaming scene gets ridiculous with each site (possibly) having a subscription fee.

I think someone has already said it; but hopefully the industry will move more towards a "one-stop shop" type of service; where you pay one fee to view ANY licensed/simulcasted show. Either that or get rid of the monopolies (for streaming) sites have for shows; so that the best site (good player, user-friendly interface, multiple countries, etc.) will get the most business.
Takeyo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:01 am Reply with quote
Ojamajo LimePie wrote:
Not a huge fan of imouto-type characters, though. I like kuudere best.

OT: Wikipedia has failed me, so I have to ask: What's a kuudere? Some sort of quiet, Nagato Yuki type of character?
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:01 am Reply with quote
Ranma824 wrote:

I think someone has already said it; but hopefully the industry will move more towards a "one-stop shop" type of service; where you pay one fee to view ANY licensed/simulcasted show. Either that or get rid of the monopolies (for streaming) sites have for shows; so that the best site (good player, user-friendly interface, multiple countries, etc.) will get the most business.

The problem with that is if there was only one single place to watch shows, then you really would have a monopoly, regardless of how good their service is ("mono" = one). Perhaps you mean something along the lines of an "oligopoly", where a handful of players controls everything.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Takeyo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:08 am Reply with quote
I think Ranma824 was referring to exclusive streaming licenses, rather than licensing an individual show to several sites and letting the Almighty Market (praise be unto Reagan) run its course.
Olivine

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:16 am Reply with quote
Takeyo wrote:
Ojamajo LimePie wrote:
Not a huge fan of imouto-type characters, though. I like kuudere best.

OT: Wikipedia has failed me, so I have to ask: What's a kuudere? Some sort of quiet, Nagato Yuki type of character?

I'm very calm and serious and all put together. kuuu~

<3<3<3<3 deredere~

Fun fact: I generally gravitate toward those, too. They're usually the most lonely, timid, and damaged of the cast. Very Happy

Sam Murai wrote:

The problem with that is if there was only one single place to watch shows, then you really would have a monopoly, regardless of how good their service is ("mono" = one). Perhaps you mean something along the lines of an "oligopoly", where a handful of players controls everything.

There's always going to be the free option. There won't be a monopoly. Best to just make the paying option as attractive as possible, imo.
einhorn303

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:04 am Reply with quote
This new era of streaming is giving me a new pet peeve: using the word "simulcast" when it's not simultaneous with the Japanese TV airing. 30 minutes is one thing, an hour is one thing, but a week-long delay is something else entirely.

It's even worse than the marketing of "High Definition Paint" (HD DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY).

Ranma824 wrote:

I gotta tell ya, I don't relish the fact of being a subscriber to several different websites just for one show or several shows. I pay for CR right now, and don't plan on joining anything else in the foreseeable future. But even that might change if the streaming scene gets ridiculous with each site (possibly) having a subscription fee.

I don't quite care, since I've subscribed to CR for only a single show per season a few times before (with Sora no Woto and Saki). If it's a show I can get into and fanboy over, it doesn't matter what I have to pay.

toyNN wrote:
Zhemos88 wrote:
... I really wish crunchyroll would have got this. :\

Me too but its a good pickup for the 1st simi-cast by ANN. Now I hope their player doesn't suck.

Me three. And last time I used it, it did suck (thought might be different by now).

Inescapable ads are one downside, at least.
agila61

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:27 am Reply with quote
einhorn303 wrote:
This new era of streaming is giving me a new pet peeve: using the word "simulcast" when it's not simultaneous with the Japanese TV airing.

"the" Japanese airing? Aren't you pretending that Japan=US?

Oreime airs in four consecutive days in Greater Tokyo, first Tokyo MX then the northern, southern, and eastern suburbs, and then on Thursday premiers in its first regional network.
Leon Evolon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:41 am Reply with quote
Wow! Congrats ANN on your first simulcast!

I must say that I am quite surprised by this. When I heard that OreImo was being brought over by AniplexUSA I thought that it would just get ported to YouTube or piggyback on FUNi or Anime Network -- not once did I consider ANN, even though ANN has recently stepped it up with the shows streaming here. So, it's a pleasant surprise to say the least.

And what a first show to start with! I was sold on this series with the first light novel so I'm quite psyched about the anime Very Happy ! While I realize that this sort of show may be out of the genre range of the majority I believe it will hold its own with the core demographic.

Looking forward to watching it here in the near future.

PS - Index II please! lol jk, that's probably asking too much ^^;
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reaper gI

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:21 am Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
einhorn303 wrote:
This new era of streaming is giving me a new pet peeve: using the word "simulcast" when it's not simultaneous with the Japanese TV airing.

Oreime airs in four consecutive days in Greater Tokyo, first Tokyo MX then the northern, southern, and eastern suburbs, and then on Thursday premiers in its first regional network.

Simulcast does mean it has to still be on TV at the time. It has to be simultaneous with something.
You can chose the version from a different network, but the show still has to be airing when it's put up. You have a 30 minute window within which it is a simulcast, after that it isn't.
They might be streamed close to Japanese times, but it's still after, so not "simul-" anymore.
einhorn303

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:23 am Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
einhorn303 wrote:

That's not really what the consumer wants or expects from a simulcast. ANN's editor-in-chief admitted as such:

Quote:
“We (ANN) would have liked to have a same-day simulcast," said ANN CEO Christopher Macdonald. "We know that's what the fans want, and Aniplex is aware of this too. So we were all working together to try and make that a possibility, but it just wasn't a possibility this season.”

Anyways, we'll have to see if it airs on Thursday, simultaneous to that last JP airing, anyways. It could be a week from now.
agila61

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Reaper gI wrote:
agila61 wrote:
einhorn303 wrote:

Simulcast does mean it has to still be on TV at the time. It has to be simultaneous with something.
You can chose the version from a different network, but the show still has to be airing when it's put up. You have a 30 minute window within which it is a simulcast, after that it isn't.
They might be streamed close to Japanese times, but it's still after, so not "simul-" anymore.

Ah, so 60 minutes after the broadcast on some Japanese network is not a "simulcast". That sounds like a benchmark chosen to maximize the number of series that you can complain about.

einhorn303 wrote:
That's not really what the consumer wants or expects from a simulcast.
It is of course absurd to think of there being a single "consumer", but there certainly is a large number of consumers of bootlegs who are used to getting their fansubs before most of Japan gets to see it on broadcast television.

But while the ideal is to get the stream as close to the first airing as possible, there is the whine patrol who will snivel and sniff at a show simulcasting with a network that broadcasts a title on Friday when the first airing is Thursday.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8