• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime News Network to Simulcast togainu no chi Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:57 am Reply with quote
Y'know, that makes two Aniplex properties. I'm starting to wonder about Star Driver.

I haven't been dying to see it but surprisingly the trailer didn't seem to play up shonen-ai very much, instead portraying it as practically a gritty action show if anything. So, who knows.
Bored_Ming

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:58 am Reply with quote
Good news for ANN. I like seeing more options for legal viewing of new anime. Looking forward to watching this once it hits the site.

Thanks for the hard work ANN. It makes me excited to see what you can come up with in the future!
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:24 am Reply with quote
Wouldn't it be crazy if they got Star Driver? At this point, it doesn't seem completely impossible.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:46 am Reply with quote
Not a fan of BL, but I know it's a decently sized niche. So I hope it does well here and it leads to more simulcasts and such. Nice snag, ANN.
Pocky Monster

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:52 am Reply with quote
Oh my God, YESSSSSSSSS. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
AyumiHamasaki

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:06 am Reply with quote
Thank you so much ANN!!! Laughing

I will be watching TnC on ANN then Very Happy This is amazing news. I'll tell everyone I know about this.
garfield15

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:36 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
Wouldn't it be crazy if they got Star Driver? At this point, it doesn't seem completely impossible.

Hahahaha....please don't give me hope like that...
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:52 am Reply with quote
garfield15 wrote:

Hahahaha....please don't give me hope like that...

I think it's inevitable. It's just a question of who grabs it. Do consider that we have one Aniplex simulcast announcement on Monday, another on Wednesday, and what's on Friday? Aniplex of America's industry panel at NYCC/NYAF. Just saying.

Of course, I also thought Senko no Night Raid was a lock for streaming, so I could be wrong too.
rabrek

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Confoozled. Is TnC adapting the BL game - or the decidedly non-BL manga adaptation of the BL game (v6 due 11/30)? The promo videos suggest the latter, but I have no Japanese and may well have missed important BL markers in the text or voiceovers. Anyone? Anyone?

I plan to sample it either way, but it helps to begin viewing with the right set of expectations, and appropriate snackage.
braves

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:02 pm Reply with quote
GWOtaku wrote:
Of course, I also thought Senko no Night Raid was a lock for streaming, so I could be wrong too.
Well, the director for Night Raid hasn't had as much success as Igarashi has had in the states (Ouran, Soul Eater). It was also revolving around a touchy subject and it wasn't all that clear how they were going to approach it.

FUNi looks like the obvious pick for streaming Star Driver given that they've licensed Igarashi's other two shows and they haven't announced anything else aside from what they've already worked out with the Noitamina block (I'm assuming they put a lot of money into picking up Star Driver).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shichimi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:02 pm Reply with quote
ANN wrote:
The simulcasts are currently available in North America only.

Ah, well, congratulations nonetheless. But can I ask if ANN will attempt in the future to secure streaming rights for other territories like the UK? Although now that I think about it, you may not be in a position financially to do this. Baby steps.

Last edited by Shichimi on Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
SnaphappyFMA

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Great news! Smile I was wondering where Togainu no Chi was going to be shown, ever since the Aniplex announcement. (I thought maybe it would be Crunchyroll.)

Congrats to Anime News Network! I will definitely be watching this series.
LKK

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:11 pm Reply with quote
rabrek wrote:
Confoozled. Is TnC adapting the BL game - or the decidedly non-BL manga adaptation of the BL game (v6 due 11/30)? The promo videos suggest the latter, but I have no Japanese and may well have missed important BL markers in the text or voiceovers. Anyone? Anyone?

I plan to sample it either way, but it helps to begin viewing with the right set of expectations, and appropriate snackage.

The anime's director has said that he wants non-BL fans to enjoy the series as well as BL fans. Based on that, I would say that the anime will be closer to the manga's BL level than to the game's.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Ranma824 wrote:
Maybe they should implement a 'no review our streams' policy.

You know, I'm astounded they haven't already thought of that. You should let Chris know about your idea right away!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
agila61

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Ranma824 wrote:
configspace wrote:
So I see you've now covered the Otaku and Fujoshi bases. schweet.
But I'm thinking it's gonna be a nightmare for reviewers here.

Maybe they should implement a 'no review our streams' policy.
Shiroi Hane is telling you in a snarky way there has already been a survey (now closed, those are the results) with a long discussion thread up and running on that very topic.

To me, it would only be a nightmare if there was pressure to be cheerleaders, and since it seems more likely that the current editorial policy would stay in place, that they stop getting assignments if they start acting as nothing but cheerleaders, that lines up with what the reviewers's would want to do anyway. But in any event, the discussion is already up and running, no need to duplicate that discussion here.

Shichimi wrote:
ANN wrote:
The simulcasts are currently available in North America only.

Ah, well, congratulations nonetheless. But can I ask if ANN will attempt in the future to secure streaming rights for other territories like the UK? Although now that I think about it, you may not be in a position financially to do this. Baby steps.
If ANN can get country rights extended on a pure royalty basis, they may be able to stream to subscribers outside the North America.

Free streams, though, is tough, because the streaming ad market is much less developed outside of North America: Crunchyroll's CEO claims they make money, but that could well be on the basis of the free streams attracting enough subscribers to cover the cost.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3