• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Maoyū (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
methaniel

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:51 am Reply with quote
Shinigami Clara wrote:
That being said, my only problem with this anime is that it cuts out too much, some scenes that i thought were crucial seemed to have been shortened and it loses a little bit of the wonder in translation (from novel to anime).

Welcome to the anime adaptations of Light Novels.
What you just said stands true to about any Light Novel that got an anime, and the more you like the book, the more disappointed you'll be in the anime ^^
Maoyuu is one I have yet to read though this anime got my interest and as soon as it finishes I'll probably rushes over the books (for the reason explained before I will resist the urge to read right now). And for that matter, those parts that you pointed out didn't felt like they were particulary missing so far (actually, it sorts of doesn't show the "harem" part of the Hero adventure, or so it looks like, and concentrates more on economics and talk).
To be honest I was surprised at the new episode for its spoiler[lack of significant action. I thought the Hero's travels would be used as a pretext to throw in battles, but they perfectly avoided it by resuming it in the form of letter and instead went for the state-of-mind speak]. And that's perfectly fine for me actually (well, I was inclined to say the Hero's battle would have been sort of "useless", just here to say "Hey, it's war so let's show it" while it doesn't need it imo. Well, soon spoiler[the world will enter a new crusade, so this shall be showed cause unless the Hero's adventures, it is but an important stone of the story I guess, especially since from the information we got for now it'll result in a huge blow for the Human's force]
The only point I would dislike is the "too pure" Hero...seriously, those characters are too fictional to be related to (I mean no one can think that purely, my mind can't even think some person like this really exist). Hopefully the sharp-tongued Head Maid shall help.

Also, not really relevant but spoiler[the mis-adventures of the Hero with different kinds of Demons girls made me think soooo much of Monster Girl Quest (an ero-ge for precision)], so much that I actually wonder if it wasn't done on purpose
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:40 pm Reply with quote
I wonder why this series is constantly making fun of Demon Queen's "useless flesh"? Is it because she's too intelligent for her own good?

The corn contract was okay; spoiler[using assassins to kill DQ] if negotiations broke down wasn't as intense as it should have been. As a "merchant", it does seem rather silly (if not, outright ridiculous) to spoiler[give the Alliance such a useful crop] without any benefits other than ending the war. Even as Queen, shouldn't she contact the head of her military and mentioned giving up territory up north for the other-side? If they found out, would there be a possibly of a coup d'état?

Seems this series rather focus more on the diplomacy and economics than the cool "sword and sorcery" commonly found in Fantasy. Fine by me but I guess other people can get tired of that quickly. Hspoiler[ead Maid spelling out how everything belongs to Queen and Hero has nothing to his name] really shows how knowing nothing but fighting can leave a person without a personal identity.
Clarste

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Keichitsu0305 wrote:
Even as Queen, shouldn't she contact the head of her military and mentioned giving up territory up north for the other-side? If they found out, would there be a possibly of a coup d'état?

I think you're getting confused about the geography. The northern deserts are on the complete opposite side of the human territories from the demons. I doubt any demon has even seen them before, since they'd have to go straight through the entirety of human civilization to get there. So... the demons probably wouldn't really notice or care if the humans started settling them. The world is set in the Southern hemisphere (ie: South = cold) and the demons are coming in through a portal south of human lands. Which is why the Southern cold countries are fighting them and why shots of them teleporting to and from the demon world involve being in a blizzard.

Quote:
Hspoiler[ead Maid spelling out how everything belongs to Queen and Hero has nothing to his name] really shows how knowing nothing but fighting can leave a person without a personal identity.

I think you completely missed the point of that scene. Yes, everything of his belongs to the Queen, but everything of hers belongs to him too. They're married(-ish), thus they share everything, thus keeping secrets from her is bad form. He has separate issues with feeling useless, but that wasn't the point of the maid's statement.
Rhyono

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Keichitsu0305 wrote:
I wonder why this series is constantly making fun of Demon Queen's "useless flesh"? Is it because she's too intelligent for her own good?

I thought the head maid just says that to nag her about not having children?
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Rhyono wrote:
Keichitsu0305 wrote:

the head maid has been teasing her for who knows how long and so I assume the DQ truly believes what the head maid has been telling her since there doesn't appear to be anyone else close enough to tell her otherwise.

Rhyono wrote:

Have they actually sent troops to the demon world?

yes they have, at least two holy crusades have ventured into the demon realm
Rhyono

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:34 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:

Only holy crusades? So no holy-look-at-the-fields visits?
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Rhyono wrote:
getchman wrote:

Only holy crusades? So no holy-look-at-the-fields visits?

spare time, perhaps?
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:26 am Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
Rhyono wrote:
Keichitsu0305 wrote:

the head maid has been teasing her for who knows how long and so I assume the DQ truly believes what the head maid has been telling her since there doesn't appear to be anyone else close enough to tell her otherwise.

What Head Maid is actually teasing is the Queen's Useless Meat aka her boobs. She making fun of the fact she couldn't entice Hero with her breasts because she wasted all her time studies rather trying be sexy.

I fell mixed about Episode 4. While i like the interactions between the Demon Queen and Young Merchant and Winter Prince and his Butler, they skipped the parts of Hero's travels to the Demon Realm including spoiler[his rescue of the Fairy Queen from the Wolf Tribe, fighting and gaining the respect of Archduke Fire Dragon and getting the attention of Grand Princess Fire Dragon.]

I hope they show in the next episode.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:14 am Reply with quote
so, how bout that cow girl. plenty of useless meat right there
jsc315

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:22 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to give this show another episode and I'm dropping it. The 1st half episode 4 was kind of interesting but then I got really bored again. This show really just is not doing it for me. I'll give it one more chance but I don't have high hopes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Key

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Oh, I'm finding the approach quite interesting. The series basically saying that it doesn't need to rely on bursts of action to keep its story interesting, and that's a gutsy call for a fantasy series in particular; even Spice and Wolf occasionally had some. In fact, I found the off-hand references to what Hero was doing in the Demon Realm to be rather amusing. Seeing more use of the spirits that attend the Demon Queen was also interesting.

But the discussion so far has been mostly ignoring a couple of interesting subtler points. spoiler[Hero's comments to the Head Maid indicate that he's not as oblivious as he had originally seemed to be, just scared of the depth of commitment that his contract implies] and especially the younger Maid's comments at the very end of the episode both seem like fairly loaded statements. What they're doing with Female Knight is also interesting.

Whatever. The next episode's title gives the hope that maybe we'll see the Hero and DQ get a little more cuddly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Most of his issues could simply be solved by spoiler[just talking to her]. However, lonely DQ is very adorable, so i have no issues with him being slow
Rhyono

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:08 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
Most of his issues could simply be solved by spoiler[just talking to her].

...you can do that? I thought avoidance and awkward tension were key to a successful relationship?
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5

spoiler[So the war finally starting...a was about time.
The whole farming thing was pretty boring.
Wonder if this is gonna be all talk and calculated moves or we're actually get to see some action.
The giant squid against the ships was rather refreshing.
I liked the Hero-Demon Lord alone time ^^
Still too much talk and not enough action.]
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:26 pm Reply with quote
ep.5

spoiler[dark knight hero see gate city is bit messed-up with how treat demon as slaves & servants wonder how to save the area?

oh whole 200 ships sents to battle end-up being release the kraken with many lost involve during nations leaders have argue about it.

red queen confess to yellow knight about everything from being demon queen to working with hero yet yellow knight allow them continue all fine on it cue hero confess as well.

so new year party with red queen with hero's pillow wonder oh here the hero give litte argue, hero's harem, & etc dance the night & all that hero got a plan to save gate city.
]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 12 of 18