• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Connecticut Group Collects 'Violent' Games, Discs to Destroy Them

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kelly

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
What if they don't want therapy or medication? Even if you agree to imprisoning them until they're medicated and therapated, what if they choose to skip their appointments and chuck their prescriptions?

That's why followup is necessary. My understanding is that some of those meds can make you feel crummy and/or the illness can deceive the sufferers into believing that they're not needed, but they must be adhered to if violence is possible without them. Body chemistry can also change over time, so it isn't a one shot deal. What can't be done is to just shrug it off and wave them away or for nothing to have been done at all.

I see in the news that Aurora, Colorado has just been hit again, with three victims plus the gunman this time. Thoughts and prayers to the families and the community.
hitokiriizo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:12 pm Reply with quote
People fear what they don't understand instead of learning they shun and blame guns as of late(2nd amendment is about overthrowing a corrupt gov't NOT hunting or personal protection like the liberals want you to believe). Medication that "treats" mental illness usually makes it worse which is why they come with warning that say "may cause depression,psychosis,violent outbursts etc. and some have been pulled off the market because they were fast tracked through testing and they sick part is most of these mass shooters were on these drugs so psychotropic drugs hurt more then they help....before anyone calls me crazy or a liar do some damn research
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:21 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
R315r4z0r wrote:

Banning something is never the answer. If your first course of action in a situation is to ban the continuation of something, then you're automatically wrong. Why is it the "source" of someone's actions that are to blame? Why not the person who, you know, actually committed the crime?

And don't take that the wrong way... it's a completely ludicrous idea to think that games and any other such outside "influence" can cause people to turn into murderous zombies....

Don't ban semi-automatics; don't ban wars..................

"The Swiss Difference: A Gun Culture That Works" (Dec 20, 2012)

I respectfully disagree. I stand by what I said. Instead of cheating and removing the consequences, instead people should focus on trying to build ways to avoid letting things get that bad.

It's more efficient to settle the differences between two groups of people than it is to completely "ban" a war and leave those two groups hating each other. Because there won't ever be a war if there is nothing to fight over.

In all honesty, there needs to be horrible outcomes for horrible decisions and actions. Otherwise the world would be a very terrible place.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:55 am Reply with quote
hitokiriizo wrote:
2nd amendment is about overthrowing a corrupt gov't

Yeah, I'm sure some piddling assault rifles are going to help you against tanks, jets, bomber drones, battleships, flamethrowers, mines, grenades, rocket launchers, and nukes. You might as well throw a toothpick at Superman.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
By_the_Jelly_Beans?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:08 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
hitokiriizo wrote:

Yeah, I'm sure some piddling assault rifles are going to help you against tanks, jets, bomber drones, battleships, flamethrowers, mines, grenades, rocket launchers, and nukes. You might as well throw a toothpick at Superman.

Have you ever seen Superman use a toothpick? Just saying worse than kryptonite.

What about popular music? ...that one song they keep playing with lyrics of "this girl is on fire"...So nobody is going to help somebody that is burning alive? Of course they should stop, drop, and roll but I think society's IQ of survival is going down.

Or how about the song of something like "I turn the rain into fire...watch pour down" Obviously a song about a pilote dropping napalm during a rainstorm.

But seriously if they think video games make people violent then are we going to have stop teaching history next? All the wars from the dawn of man kind. Can't teach about Roman's, Vikings, the Crusades, Civil War, either WW, etc.

And lastly seeing this is an Anime site the fact that people seem to have violence in their genes has mentioned several times in different Anime. Off the top of my head Guyver: The Bioboosted Armor, Tekken (The '90's anime when Jun asks Heihachi why he is flooding the world with weapons and he goes on a speech about how the only way to save the world is to destroy everything on it), etc.
I can only think of 2 right now but it just gives a hint that I'm not the only one that thinks it is SOCIETY that is the problem not videogames.
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:33 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
hitokiriizo wrote:

With the second amendment, there are three factors to keep in mind: the recent war of secession the United States had just won themselves, the fact that America's gun fetish is older than said war(at least one colony decided that everybody had to have a weapon and those who couldn't afford the full price had to get one on a government installment plan) and that, like modern Switzerland, a good portion of the male population was considered part of the militia. You could probably draw a much more extreme program than the NRA backs from those facts(like bringing back aforementioned universal armament laws).

That said, battleships et al aren't as invincible as you're making them out to be. Especially tanks.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:28 pm Reply with quote
hitokiriizo wrote:
People fear what they don't understand instead of learning they shun and blame guns as of late(2nd amendment is about overthrowing a corrupt gov't NOT hunting or personal protection like the liberals want you to believe). Medication that "treats" mental illness usually makes it worse which is why they come with warning that say "may cause depression,psychosis,violent outbursts etc. and some have been pulled off the market because they were fast tracked through testing and they sick part is most of these mass shooters were on these drugs so psychotropic drugs hurt more then they help....before anyone calls me crazy or a liar do some damn research

Sorry, had to remove your latest post. You're going far too political for an anime forum, and your usage of deragatory hate speech towards people who don't think like you in your last post is not going to be tolerated. For someone talking about freedom from oppression you sure seemed to have no tolerance of freedom of thought or respect towards differing viewpoints and ideals. So before you come on here with your political propoganda and accusing people of being some closed-minded member of a partisan group maybe you should first try not being one yourself.

Now back to your regularly scheduled program.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
rookie_one
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:03 pm Reply with quote
UPDATE: Connecticut town cancels plan to collect and destroy violent video games (via Polygon)
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:17 pm Reply with quote
rookie_one wrote:
UPDATE: Connecticut town cancels plan to collect and destroy violent video games (via Polygon)
Do ya think they read our forum?
Panzer Vor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:

"In a preemptive strike, Red launched a massive salvo of cruise missiles that overwhelmed the Blue forces' electronic sensors and destroyed sixteen warships."

Emphasis mine. You're moving way beyond Second Amendment territory there.
Polycell

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:26 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Soon after the cruise missile offensive, another significant portion of Blue's navy was "sunk" by an armada of small Red boats, which carried out both conventional and suicide attacks that capitalized on Blue's inability to detect them as well as expected.
Again, expensive military hardware falls to cheaper countermeasures. Or has Vietnam fallen down your personal memory hole?
Panzer Vor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Red still needed to spam cruise missiles before it could spam suicide boats against the Blue fleet. I don't even know why we're talking about asymmetric naval warfare when the topic is about a now-cancelled game collection event. Sure, there was some derping about the Second Amendment, but that's only of tangential relevance at best.

Besides, Vietnam was a mess of poor tactics and strategy. The technology worked, it was just applied inappropriately.
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
rookie_one wrote:

I wouldn't be surprised if they did. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
oblivious247

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:31 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
rookie_one wrote:

I wouldn't be surprised if they did. Laughing

I think it's much more likely that they realized they didn't have the money they would need to back this up once people realized they could exploit it for profit.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:01 pm Reply with quote
I do believe people have the right to own firearms, and I see no problem with semi-automatics either.

The problem is how people treat each other, that is the bottom line. We have a society that creates sociopathic monsters like a factory line.

The problems begin early in school with cliques and bullying, and outside of school factors like child and sexual abuse.

Adults in school only pay lip service to bullying. There is no justice in school either. All parties in any conflict are usually found guilty. So if you stand up for yourself against physical harm, the administration will find you at fault also. The school administration would rather you get injured and harmed, rather than you taking any actions to defend yourself.

Guns are not the issue, it is the people and especially the children we discard and allow others to abuse them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5