• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ideas to throw around to studio representative thread

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 2:58 pm Reply with quote
First off, this thread is to ask questions to the Studio representatives, not to complain about something.

The first thing I'll ask if it is possible to buy an empty boxset without having to buy the extras. This is in case someone is buying the individual DVD's, but then decides that he wants to start buying boxsets, and also wants to go back and get boxsets for series he's already completed or started. Of course, in doing this, the person doesn't get extras like a t-shirt, cd, or trinket. I know that ADV did this for a short time.

Is this possible to do, or should I just go and buy the boxset and sell the DVD that it replaces?

Last edited by kusanagi-sama on Sun May 22, 2005 10:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Hmm... I'm not sure if this could be counted as the right area (since it's not a piece of news on the front page.)

I assume you are simply asking about empty boxes?

ADV did this briefly with Excel Saga, however, I missed out when they were being sold. Sad

While I certainly would like to see studios do this, I'm not entirely sure we can expect to see this happen because I suspect it's cost prohibitive.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Yes, I am talking about the empty box. I wouldn't mind paying $10 for the box.

Last edited by kusanagi-sama on Sun May 22, 2005 10:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Cassandra

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 3:12 pm Reply with quote
I know Right Stuf usually sells empty artboxes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Is it just RightStuf's stuff right? Or is it also from other studios?

Last edited by kusanagi-sama on Sun May 22, 2005 10:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cassandra

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 4:09 pm Reply with quote
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, but those aren't empty boxsets, those are the normal limited edition artboxes with the DVD and extras

Last edited by kusanagi-sama on Sun May 22, 2005 10:18 pm; edited 2 times in total
Cassandra

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 5:41 pm Reply with quote
The empty artboxes are in there too. You just have to look for them. (I can see the Fruits Basket artbox there, for example.)
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 6:20 pm Reply with quote
That was the only empty artbox there. However, since all 4 of the Fruits Basket DVD's already come in a boxset, I wouldn't need this one.

Oh, there's an empty GTO boxset 2 (DDD has a GTO boxset 2 with the DVD's for $59.99), and Invader Zim, that's all for the empty boxsets

Last edited by kusanagi-sama on Sun May 22, 2005 10:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 8:25 pm Reply with quote
kusanagi-sama wrote:

Oh, there's an empty GTO boxset 2 (DDD has a GTO boxset 2 with the DVD's for $59.99), and Invader Zim, that's all for the empty boxsets

Border Express had the GTO 1 and 2 Boxset for $40.00 each.
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm... website link to that please...

I got the GTO Boxset 1 from DeepDiscountDVD.com for $24.00 back in February (it was out of stock there)

It also seems that they don't have boxset 1 anymore (According to http://www.dvdaficionado.com/ it is also out of print)

--EDIT--
checked the website, boxset 1 is $39.99, boxset 2 is $81.99

Last edited by kusanagi-sama on Sun May 22, 2005 10:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 10:11 pm Reply with quote
I also have another idea, say that you usually produce 1000 limited edition boxsets, instead of offering them on the first or last DVD, split them up equally among all the DVDs, so that people can buy a boxset if they didn't originally do it on the first DVD.

Edited thread title to more reflect what is going on. Also can a mod move the thread to a more appropriate place?
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 10:46 pm Reply with quote
kusanagi-sama wrote:
I also have another idea, say that you usually produce 1000 limited edition boxsets, instead of offering them on the first or last DVD, split them up equally among all the DVDs, so that people can buy a boxset if they didn't originally do it on the first DVD.

Edited thread title to more reflect what is going on. Also can a mod move the thread to a more appropriate place?

Actually, I'd say that the last DVD is the most sensible place (for the consumer) to put it. Your suggestion would require extensive manufacturing costs.

From a marketing standpoint however, it makes the most sense to sell it with the first DVD. Ultimately, it puts out a title in a stronger fashion, and people who buy the box are more likely to continue to buy the series, even if the title is one they might not normally consider buying after seeing the first volume.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1