• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Company Seeks Fan Translators

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkhunter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 12:07 am Reply with quote
Ioik wrote:
Acually, I think this is very excellent idea.

Fans who translate for free do a MUCH better job than companies just looking to make $$$.

I hope to see other anime/game companies follow this idea since a lot of anime and games I've seen here have AWFUL "translations".

I would assume that most hired professional with a degree in japanese can do a more accurate job. These people probably have study japanese a while in college and are more qualified to do an accurated translation. Also I heard they use two people to make sure the translation is close to accurated.

While a fansub can be translated by a highschooler kid who took like 2 years of Japanese and think it's cool to use the F bomb instead of damn. And just because they leave the word in japanese doesn't make it more "authentic". The purpose of having subtitle is to have it translated anyways and is read the same if you were japanese listening to the japanese audio.
Also, Anime companies are require to translated everything becaues they're presenting a translation work for the mainstream, not just for the hardcore japanese-wannabe.

Also when you say they do free translation out of the goodness of their heart, they also do it for ego purposes and the fame it comes with. Translator are recognize among the fansub community, they have power in irc chatroom and they pretty much get their way because they are the heart of a fansub group.
Dejiko

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 6:38 am Reply with quote
MJP wrote:
I would die if that happened, because all the people who are rah-rahing fan translations need to point me at some other quality translations of dating sims, other than the 57% translated patch of Kanon.

Kanon is not a 'dating sim', but a Visual Novel.
Calli

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 7:38 am Reply with quote
I find it interesting that everyone points fingers at the translators, when they seldom if ever have any say in the final English version. There's another level of work involved in translation -- the "adapter" whose job is to take the translator's work and, ideally, polish up the rough spots and put it together into an accurate, readable, and enjoyable translation. At this point the translator's out of the picture, folks. The errors and liberties you see are most likely the adapter's doing.

Which makes me wonder how much worth 'fan-translations' are actually going to have for this project. That, and I'm rather leery of most translation fanwork in general.
Dejiko

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 7:59 am Reply with quote
Calli wrote:
Which makes me wonder how much worth 'fan-translations' are actually going to have for this project. That, and I'm rather leery of most translation fanwork in general.

Amen to that, anyone remember what scanlator Studio Robb did with Digi Charat: Champion Cup Theatre? No? I'd link you the preview pages, but in a somewhat merciful way, they appear to be offline. This sure brings back bad memories.
cyrax777

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 8:19 am Reply with quote

sure do love dem fansubs translations.
(people keep saying thus one was on purpose but I call BS its just plain sloppy) the Elfen Lied one not the GITS

http://www.cyrax777.us/funny/unsorted/masnaked.jpg
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Ioik

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 10:50 am Reply with quote
I know not ALL fansubbers are great and accurate.
But neither is North American companies.

If you ever played many of the video games that have been released in NA, a lot of them are not accurate in the translation.It is like they re-write the script.

A lot of manga released in NA is mistranslated, has slang thrown in and is "westernized".

Even DVDs released in NA I've seen have dub-titles or even subs that looked like the translator just "estimated" the translation.

So before you put down fan-subbers entirely, look at the North American companies. They can be just as bad.
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 1:41 pm Reply with quote
cyrax777 wrote:

sure do love dem fansubs translations.
(people keep saying thus one was on purpose but I call BS its just plain sloppy) the Elfen Lied one not the GITS

http://www.cyrax777.us/funny/unsorted/masnaked.jpg

Not to be defending fansubbing, but Anime.fin did that as a tribute to make fun of AnimeJunkies at the time.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Anyway, I keep racking my head for stuff that might be coming out that there would be games for. Right now, the only thing I can think of his the Comic Party game (assuming Revolution is all but licensed)

I personally wouldn't mind playing Doujin Tycoon (with other stuff Rolling Eyes ), would you?
Kalium

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:55 pm Reply with quote
RyoShin wrote:
Perhaps, but how do you know that? If you do know a good deal of Japanese, you can probably tell if they're on the spot or not. If you know a handful of words/phrases, you'll recognize those, but the rest will be (literally) foreign to you, so you won't be able to tell if the translation is accurate or not.

Awkward translations are often obvious from the awkward English that results. You don't always have to know the original language to catch iffy translations. Heck, some anime companies just about announce it by changing the translation of a phrase (say, a title) mid-series.
sailorspazz

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 5:18 pm Reply with quote
It seems strange that they're looking for "fan translators" without any mention of the series. Sure, I'm an anime fan, but it doesn't mean I've seen everything, so what if I signed up for this thing and then it ended up being a title I've never heard about? I don't see how my "fan translation" would somehow be better than that of a certified translator, assuming that neither one of us had preexisting knowledge of the series. Here's hoping that they find someone fluent in Japanese who's a huge fan of their mystery series, otherwise they'll probably end up with a bunch of fans with knowledge of the series but insufficient knowledge of the language they're trying to translate.
hadoken

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:37 pm Reply with quote
I replied to this guy, and this was all he was able to tell me.

"the game is one of Broccoli's hottest anime/manga properties. It is apart of a series of RPG/Space Shooter Strategy. But that's all I can say for now...please wait for the Official Press Release comming shortly!"

So... Broccoli's hottest anime/manga properties related to RPG/Space Shooter Strategy? Good luck, anime sleuths.
smutchi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 10:34 am Reply with quote
I'm a bit surprised to hear all these negative comments about the whole thing. I understand the reasons, I also agree on some of them, but I didn't expect so much pessimism.
There's a lot of criticism and complaining in these forums (I don't think that's bad at all, I just noticed it) and yet if a company decides to talk directly to the anime fans and "ask them for help" (Yes, maybe it's unpaid, but fansubbers aren't paid either. Besides, it could be a great experience...?) there's hardly any positive thinking or motivation.
Yes, maybe the game is crap, maybe they only want cheap workers... but you don't know this yet!!!

I hear so often that people want the companies to ask them about their opinions or to do something differently (some or even most of the time that's also justified, there sure is a lot of rubbish going on). However, here's maybe a chance for some fans (Japanese speaking fans) to have an influence.

I myself am a very critical person, too. In this case I suggest we should give it a try! We can still complain and boycott afterwards... Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2