• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
General Manga Questions & References Thread

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dessa

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:43 am Reply with quote
According to Japanese wikipedia, volume 5 was published in Japan on October 16, 2013. The previous volumes were published in February 2010, October 2010, November 2011, and September 2012. They don't list a volume 6 as having been released, but following the schedule, it's likely due out in October-ish.

It seems, from what I can piece together from Google translate, that the series was originally published in Fellows, which had something like only 3 issues per year. Then it got moved to Haruta, which is monthly, but it's only a bi-monthly series. The mangaka's Japanese wikipedia page lists a start and end date for his previous series, but only a "Fellows! volume 3" for this one, so that would seem to imply that it's not finished.

I don't know about how Vertical's contracts work, but Yen Press has said that they can only license what is currently published, and then have to renegotiate for further volumes. For example, with Uraboku, when they licensed it there were 10 volumes released, and 11 was soon to be published (already out in the serials). So they could only license for those 11 volumes (released as 5 omnibus and a single, and 12 isn't out in Japan yet, either), not further. Likewise, though there's complications due to a large hiatus, Viz was only able to publish the 11 collected volumes of Yami no Matsuei, even though there was un-collected material available, and would have to renegotiate to get volume 12, which has since been published.

It could be that Vertical's license only covers the first 6 volumes, since there aren't currently any more in Japan, and if there are more, they might have to renegotiate. Or the series could be coming to a conclusion, and since it hasn't ended/been published yet, Japanese wikipedia won't list that it's concluded.
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Huh, never knew they could only negotiate for what was out, then as more volumes came, they'd have to negotiate again. Though I believe Vertical is owned by Kodansha, both of which I think are owned directly by the Japanese companies, perhaps it's different for them?
So I guess we're going to assume Wolfsmund is still ongoing either way then?
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:17 pm Reply with quote
So, the Nadesico manga that CPM put out in comic format. Anyone know how many issues it went for? I know it's at least 17, and that the Japanese manga is 4 volumes, but I can't find any further info.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:40 pm Reply with quote
@Dessa

CPM put out the Nadesico manga in 26 comic (floppy) issues. Several of the first five issues had two different covers. They were issued between September 1999 and September 2001.

They also reissued the series as four trade paperback volumes. The trades were the same height and width as the original comics.

I have them, anything else you need to know about them?
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Nope, that was it! One of the SC Manga Library staff saw 1 (both covers), 2, 7, 8, 12-17 in the freebie box, and has a friend who would like it. But we didn't know how many issues there were, to know how many more after 17 to look for.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:08 am Reply with quote
@Dessa
OK, I thought you might need the information for the Encyclopedia since you are active there.

For what it is worth, I started collecting manga in late 1997. At that time it was not impractical to order all manga solicited in Diamond Previews each month. It was all in floppy format initially and you couldn't count on a trade paperback edition. I think I have most of the manga floppies issued between 1998 and the end of the floppy era. I also aggressively hunted down back issues that came out before I started collecting.

What I'm saying is that if you need information on manga in floppy format from that period, I can probably provide it.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:40 am Reply with quote
I'm honestly surprised that the manga isn't in the encyclopedia, since it's been released in the states. I need to find out if it's in the queue, and then we might as well gather the info and submit it to get it added.
Touma

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
I'm honestly surprised that the manga isn't in the encyclopedia,

Are you talking about just the comic book format of Nadesico? The TPB volumes are in there.

I have noticed that the encyclopedia does not have anything about the comic book releases of the Rumiko Takahashi manga that Viz did, or the comics for Mai the Psychic Girl.

I wonder if there is a reason for that? Or it is just that nobody ever submitted the information.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:15 pm Reply with quote
I did a search yesterday for "Nadesico", and only the anime and the movie came up.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:28 pm Reply with quote
@Touma, Dessa

I find the Encyclopedia some what intimidating, I'm not about to touch it. However I don't mind providing what ever information is needed about the comics I have.

I have all of Mai the Psychic Girl in comic book form and also the three volume "Perfect" collection. I also have most, if not all of the Rumiko Takahashi comics Viz put out, including the one shot stuff like Fire Tripper.
noblesse oblige

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:04 am Reply with quote
Does anyone know the story behind Hoshi no Samidare, which I believe loosely translates to "The Star of the Summer Rain", getting the english title of "Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer?
Dessa

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:36 am Reply with quote
I've got a friend who's a big fan that I can ask later, but I know that "Lucifer and Biscuit Hammer" (no the) was known as the title long before an English release was thought of, so it might just be an alternate title, like with Devils and Realist, which has the Japanese title of "Makai Ouji".
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:51 pm Reply with quote
I'm wondering about all the different versions of the Oh My Goddess manga. I have kind of a mishmash of versions. There are wider, taller, skinny ones that are flipped with no volume number, some that are about as big but have volume numbers (also flipped), and regular manga-sized volumes which are unflipped.

Is the content of the volumes the same throughout all these versions? I'd rather not miss any of it when I read it by not sticking to a single type.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:48 am Reply with quote
Oh Lord, here we go again:

Kruser wrote:

Quote:
Is the content of the volumes the same throughout all these versions?

Short answer:NO!

Dark Horse did not follow the Japanese volumes in providing the flipped editions. They noted that the Japanese volumes tended to end when they had enough chapters often ending in cliff hangers. They brought out the US editions to contain complete story arcs. As a result when they decided to reprint unflipped in Japanese order the last flipped volume was numbered 19/20. That is it contained the last few chapters of volume 19 and all of 20.

In order to have the whole thing and avoid overlapped chapters you need all flipped or all unflipped for volumes 1 through 20. I note you are a subscriber. If you will go to the community forum and check a couple of pages back in the "Free to a good home" thread there are a number of the flipped volumes available. Edit: Page 21 of "Free to a good Home".

If you will look in the advertising pages of any of the later volumes it will give you volume numbers for those that show only titles.

Actually it gets worse than that. Dark Horse originally brought OMG! out in comic book form. When they did they skipped 14 of the first 16 chapters of the manga. The also issued some chapters out of order. The first graphic novel version restored the original order but continued to skip the missing issues. That GN was titled 1-555-Goddess and is interesting only as a curiosity.

They subsequently brought out their attempt at an anthology magazine Super Manga Blast and printed the missing chapters in the magazine. After that they printed all of the original chapters and the missing chapters in three volumes, Wrong Number, Leader of the Pack and Final Exam.

At the time of the initial comics they were in a cross promotion with AnimEigo who was putting out the original OAV series. The comic skipped from chapter 1 the introduction of Belldandy to the introduction of Urd and then to the introduction of Skuld and then backed up a bit. This was because the OAV introduced all three sisters in the first three episodes.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Dammit I was afraid of that. I guess my collection of it won't be caught up just yet then. Mad

Well, most of what I have are the newer unflipped versions, I think I'll just go with those for consistency's sake.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 39 of 45