• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Harder and Harder to find Manga

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:10 pm Reply with quote
i was kinda thinking along the same lines, if viz were to do a vizbig run of mosnter or somthing id wanna go out to the shed and hang myself for spending large amounts of money.

I think if this order i have for mushishi 6 goes through i'll focus on getting that series and GTO then set about getting other stuff and keep my fingers crossed that viz does some reprints at some point and that kodansha carries a bunch of series on.
Tamaria

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
mushishi 6

What.

That's just, just... I mean, last time I checked Boekenfestijn there were stacks of Mushishi 6. Stacks. €1,95 per volume. Remaindered books. Stacks. €1,95.

Del Rey really screwed you over.

In any case, Mushishi 1-7 has been spotted at Boekenfestijn. Pretty much all titles released before 2010 are or were available. I'm sure the later ones will show up as well. So, if you have some Del Rey titles on your wishilist, now would be a good time to start looking. It might be too late if you don't.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Yeah well the non english language markets seem to be doing fine, after looking all over the place alot of the out of print books im looking for are abundent in other languages and same goes series that were dropped too.

hell the french get stuff like kenichi, vinalnd saga and zetman while there is no english language release of any of them.
Tamaria

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Oh, no, I mean the English version is available there. Boekenfestijn is the place where remaindered books from Tokyopop, Seven Seas and Del Rey go to. It's a gold mine and it's quite helpful if you're trying to read the industry. For instance, all those Del Rey manga became available in Q2 of 2010, before any of the really big announcements were made. Looking at all their stuff at Boekenfestijn, it was kind of obvious it was a bit more than spring cleaning.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:00 pm Reply with quote
ah i get ya, wish they'd go to somwhere i could get at em lol.

Like i say i'll focus on GTO and mushishi (volume 6 permitting) and then i'll just get back to collecting other stuff. was gonna start at rurouni kenshin and then i saw that viz was realeasing em in the big editions so started on that instead, gotta get the deathnote black editions too.

My biggest regret is that when i had a huge amount of spending power i focused on getting anime over manga and this was back in about 2002-2007 so i could have had all of monster. I did have all of GTO and wound up selling it, very dumb.
Thorn of Camorr

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:00 am Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
@Thorn of Camorr
Viz published through volume 12 of that series, which is as far as it got in Japan before the hiatus. I think they're all pretty easy to find online

Hey thanks Classicalzawa, I wasn't sure just how much of it had been finished, considering it was probably back in high school when I started reading it.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:51 am Reply with quote
Has anyone here ever used www.powells.com?

Just placed an order with em and i'll be very stoked if it all goes well cos i just managed to find a total gem of a book and the site claimed it was in stock and its only costing me $20 if it all goes according to plan.
Genet

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:16 pm Reply with quote
If an entire series is too elusive to find, or early volumes go OOP, I just say "eff it" and order the Japanese versions, provided they're not ridiculously hard (moyasimoncough) to read.
zawa113

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:10 pm Reply with quote
@Genet
I get the feeling that Moyashimon would be hard to read in any language unless you're a bio major like me Razz So many microbiology references that it doesn't bother to explain, not even in notes in the back, you'd pretty much have to have read a textbook to understand half the stuff it's saying anyway. Heck, even I had a few road bumps when reading the first two volumes and that's kind of my thing (mostly on brewing techniques since I'm not a big drinker).
Genet

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:40 am Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
@Genet
I get the feeling that Moyashimon would be hard to read in any language unless you're a bio major like me Razz So many microbiology references that it doesn't bother to explain, not even in notes in the back, you'd pretty much have to have read a textbook to understand half the stuff it's saying anyway. Heck, even I had a few road bumps when reading the first two volumes and that's kind of my thing (mostly on brewing techniques since I'm not a big drinker).

It took me over an hour to fully read and understand -the English version-. I have the first two volumes in Japanese, and it is extremely difficult to read, for me, at least.

It's one series I hope Kodansha USA picks up, for that simple fact. Since I'm in college Japanese classes, it's easier for me to read and understand a lot of manga, but it's still not completely easy. I really enjoy Moyasimon, though, because it's extremely interesting, there are not a lot of manga out there quite like it. :3
lys

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:47 pm Reply with quote
RAmmsoldat wrote:
Has anyone here ever used www.powells.com?

Just placed an order with em and i'll be very stoked if it all goes well cos i just managed to find a total gem of a book and the site claimed it was in stock and its only costing me $20 if it all goes according to plan.

I love Powell's!! A year and a half ago I decided I needed to collect Please Save My Earth. I was looking everywhere for volumes 7 and 13... and then I found them on powells.com for less-than-retail price. Oh man, it was so amazing, I couldn't believe it until the books arrived at my door. They've got a good selection of not-so-hard-to-find used manga too, so it's a nice place to check for deals on older series.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:24 am Reply with quote
cool, they say they've sent my order now so im made up

was checking my other orderers and it seems id bought a book from them via amazon.co.uk lol, im finding all sorts of new places to get bookks from at the moment.
timesteel

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:17 pm Reply with quote
I noticed right after I bought tezuka's Swallowing the Earth late last year (got one of the last one's amazon had in stock) that it started to go out of stock everywhere and It just came out in 09 and it's already out of print.

Last edited by timesteel on Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Not a Jellyfish

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:04 pm Reply with quote
I've been lucky and found a few jackpots at Cons or online. I managed to find almost all of Sanctuary for abut $5 each at a Con one year. I was also lucky enough to be following Saikano as it was coming out and have every volume in English.

I also suggest trying to order items from the large chain stores. Bring in an ISBN and they can look it up. I used to work at a Barnes and Noble and ordered my own OOP books from there all the time. I paid employee discounted prices for several books, like Phoenix, Adolf (not vol 1, though), Benkei in New York, Hotel Harbour View, Flower of Life, Love Song, and others. A lot of times they can't be pulled up by title, but can be by ISBN and will have 1 or 2 of certain items left in warehouses, sometimes more. It never hurts to try. You can even call and ask over the phone.

Even regular comic stores aren't always fully picked over. I got both Short Program volumes from my old local comic shop discounted. My most recent find was actually at New York's Forbidden Planet (one would think they would be completely sold down) in Union Square, where I was lucky enough to find Junko Mizuno's Pure Trance for cover price. Just be willing to DIG.
Paploo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Since comic shops order books in a non-returnable fashion, they tend to have a lot of manga you wouldn't expect. If you check out http://www.diamondcomics.com you can also browse through order forms, and special order or pre-order some manga. Diamond doesn't have as deep a backstock as they used to.....they now tend to only keep consistently reordered titles in stock, but it's great for pre-orders, and sometimes they'll have those super hard to find books your looking for.

Some shops also have access to other distributors [some the same as bookstores, some comic specialty or anime specialty distributors], so it never hurts to ask. I too have gotten a lot of OOP titles this way.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 76