• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Zero no Tsukaima Author Noboru Yamaguchi Passes Away

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ranzkin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Indeed this is sad news.

Still Remember the first time I watched Zero no Tsukaima and was hooked after the second episode.

Even though I think tha latter seasons went bat shit crazy with too much fanservice/ecchi moments which kinda ruined the show, I was still glad too see the fourth season wrap things up to some kind of degree.

Haven't read the novels at all so I'm probably behind in many ways.

Rest in peace dear author...
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:04 pm Reply with quote
mewpudding101 wrote:
...Wow, that's actually really mean to say. If you didn't have anything nice to say about his novels, the ones he worked so hard on that it might have even cost his life, then please don't say it.

I don't have anything nice to say about his novels, but I did say nice things about him as a person. Cancer is a horrible thing to have and he battled bravely on for two years with it.

I'm not going to pretend that I don't find his work offensive just because he's now dead. When someone dies, it's actually insulting to whitewash everything you don't like about what they did. We should remember the person for who they actually were (and what they actually did), not whom we wanted in our minds for the person to be.

When I say that I didn't like the story and characters he wrote, who gets upset? Not him. Only those left behind who want to force everyone else to publicly remember him in a particular way. I'd rather people remember the dead as they actually saw them, instead of pretending that the deceased was a perfect person who was beloved by everyone.

Finally, I didn't realise that writing causes cancer.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:20 pm Reply with quote
DTM I am convinced you have no concept of what people have to go through to write and make the stuff you enjoy.
these authors are put under huge amounts of stress and time commitments. this makes it so that they are constantly neglecting themselves. so please tell me what is the way to stop cancer, early detection, how can you do that, BY TAKING CARE OF YOURSELF!

There is a difference between white washing facts and letting people have some piece and quiet to grieve. Learn that there is a time and place for everything and grow up.

By your logic then everyone who is against wars should picket funerals of soldiers. I am not comparing what you are doing her and that but I hope realize how heartless you are being by basically saying it's a good thing he died now I don't have to put up with the adapted versions of his charters.
bradc

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:29 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

When I say that I didn't like the story and characters he wrote, who gets upset? Not him. Only those left behind who want to force everyone else to publicly remember him in a particular way. I'd rather people remember the dead as they actually saw them, instead of pretending that the deceased was a perfect person who was beloved by everyone.

There is no such thing as a perfect human being. Everyone has a flaws like the characters he writes in his story. Ironically, this is part of life when everything comes to an end. Noone has force anyone to remember the dead; people just naturally remembers someone that they had connection with, or someone made impact in their life. His friends and family and among the fans and mangaka and anime world will forever remember him as the author for Zero no Tsukiama. RIP Noboru Yamaguchi, you fought well.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
DTM I am convinced you have no concept of what people have to go through to write and make the stuff you enjoy.

Except I never asked for this guy to write and I sure don't like what he produced.

Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
these authors are put under huge amounts of stress and time commitments. this makes it so that they are constantly neglecting themselves. so please tell me what is the way to stop cancer, early detection, how can you do that, BY TAKING CARE OF YOURSELF!

I've seen more prolific writers who didn't get cancer. The guy behind One Piece doesn't have cancer and he puts in twenty-one-hour days.

Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
There is a difference between white washing facts and letting people have some piece and quiet to grieve. Learn that there is a time and place for everything and grow up.

Sorry, but I don't believe that this thread should be limited to those who have nothing but good things to say about the guy. I also do not accept that there should be a ban on saying anything negative about a dead person. How long would the ban even last after the death? A week? A month? A year? Ten years? Indefinite? Who gets to decide when the ban is lifted?

You say "a time and place". Is this thread not the time and place to remember him and his work, in both negative and positive lights?

I would like to point out that I haven't even insulted him. Quite the opposite in fact.

Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
By your logic then everyone who is against wars should picket funerals of soldiers. I am not comparing what you are doing her and that but I hope realize how heartless you are being by basically saying it's a good thing he died now I don't have to put up with the adapted versions of his charters.

My logic certainly doesn't say that.

The Westboro Baptist Church are evil and have no excuse to do the things they do. They're not remembering the deceased by picketing funerals of soldiers, they're just being scum and doing it as part of whatever twisted rationale they abide by.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:12 pm Reply with quote
You don't do things to get cancer it's chance. the only thing you can do is treat it early.

Also this thread is basically an online memorial service for his english speaking fans so how are you not picketing it so to speak like the people you hate so much. because there really not much of a difference leave us alone so we can mourn a little, or are you going to keep acting like the people you hate.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:01 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
mewpudding101 wrote:
...Wow, that's actually really mean to say. If you didn't have anything nice to say about his novels, the ones he worked so hard on that it might have even cost his life, then please don't say it.

I don't have anything nice to say about his novels, but I did say nice things about him as a person. Cancer is a horrible thing to have and he battled bravely on for two years with it.

I'm not going to pretend that I don't find his work offensive just because he's now dead. When someone dies, it's actually insulting to whitewash everything you don't like about what they did. We should remember the person for who they actually were (and what they actually did), not whom we wanted in our minds for the person to be.

First off.... I can not really believe you just typed that out.

It didn't cause the cancer any thinks that they are moron. What most likely happened after he went into remission to finish up his last two novels the amount of stress/burden put Nobour in a weaker state. Stress can do horrible things to the body "this is coming from personal experience".

Just from the small amount i'm under alone can make my stomach sour or give me migraine or even make my heart flutter. I can not imagine the level of stress he was under to finish those last two books and it took it's toll on his body/mind.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SuperAnimeManiac1

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:33 pm Reply with quote
41 was too early an age to die at. You wanted so badly to live i can only imagine what you must have felt when the doctors first told you about the cancer you had. The fact that it was advanced stage and inoperable pretty much meant that you were going to die and yet you still kept writing the novels for us. Even when you got the chance to have that surgery to save you life the first thing you wanted to do when you recovered was finish the next volume for us. The characters and the world you created were amazing i loved them all it was one of my favorite series at the time and its what got me into anime and light novels. I have so many found memories of this series its so sad that you now gone, you were my favorite author. I am literally in tears as I'm writing this and even though i can't read them i still want to buy all of the original Japanese volumes and side stories in memory of you. R.I.P you were a great author.
Setsura1

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:45 pm Reply with quote
I just can't believe he's gone. After so much fighting and all that enthusiasm to finish his great series. I truly love Zero no Tsukaima and am devastated to hear that he was not able to finish his story. May you Rest In Peace Noboru Yamaguchi-sensei.
kevinx59

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Really sad news. I had never watched or read Zero no Tsukaima, but it was a series that I always saw, heard about, and recognized, and he also wrote the strike witches light novels, a series I really enjoy. Hearing about his death is just... May he rest in peace. You did a lot of work on this earth, and you will be missed.
Setsura1

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:47 pm Reply with quote
xinpig wrote:
[EDIT: Oversized pic. - Key]

Anime cry7

That scene was one of the saddest scenes in the series, but very fitting for this farewell to a great man. May he live on in the hearts of his fans, friends, and family.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:00 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Everyone tolerate my stupid negativity

We don't really have to do this, you know that, right?

What you're doing is basically trolling and I'm going to put a stop to it pretty quick if you don't keep running in to every thread about a dead person and talking shit while justifying it with "WELL LOGICALLY I'M RIGHT BECAUSE"

Get some social sense, you weirdo.
gorilla491

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:07 pm Reply with quote
First saw the anime years ago. Holds a special place in my heart. The anime just captured you. Need to get the volumes one day. Rest in peace Yamaguchi-san. You will be missed. Thank you for telling us such an amazing story. Thank You.
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:04 pm Reply with quote
This is really quite sad considering how much he fought in the last 2 years to not only keep his work going but to simply stay alive. Not to mention that he personally wrote the script for the 4th and final season of the anime while trying to wrap up the novels last year.

Pretty sure I haven't heard this sad of a news since MM!'s light novel author.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:25 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
dtm42 wrote:
Everyone tolerate my stupid negativity

We don't really have to do this, you know that, right?

What you're doing is basically trolling and I'm going to put a stop to it pretty quick if you don't keep running in to every thread about a dead person and talking shit while justifying it with "WELL LOGICALLY I'M RIGHT BECAUSE"

Get some social sense, you weirdo.

That's out of line. I don't care if you are an Admin, I've reported you. There's no need to resort to personal attacks to make your point.

So far I've been nothing but unfailingly polite to both Yamaguchi and Ebert, saying that I admired them for their courage in battling such an insidious and destructive disease. One of my great-grandfathers got throat cancer. It destroyed what was once a physically powerful and active man. It's impossible to forget the tumour larger than a tennis ball growing out from his neck. After he passed his daughter (my grandmother) fell into a year-long depression out of grief.

I know much of what both families must be going through, and they have my sympathies. But that doesn't mean I'm going to just insult my memories and opinions of either man's work by whitewashing them of anything negative. Just like I didn't whitewash my memory of my great-grandfather by pretending that him smoking pipes since his teens wasn't the cause of his throat cancer.

Falsely remembering a person and their deeds, while of some comfort to the ones left behind, is of huge insult to the deceased. That's why I loathe funerals (bar the obvious reason that someone had to die for a funeral to happen). Funerals exist not to honour the deceased but to comfort the living, and I find that incredibly offensive. I'm not the only one who believes that; it is a widely-held view and a matter of much debate.

We seem to be coming from completely different philosophies. I've explained my reasoning as clearly as possible, and I'm going to take your hint and bow out of this thread. But I do find your vilifying any view that you don't agree with to be disturbing.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6