• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Fandoms of Evil

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EireformContinent

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:10 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Quote:
So? If someone wants to tell the story, he will do it regardless of prognosis of potential sales.

Well he did specify "get famous" so lots of sales help with that

But Japanese fame is quite local, while USA exports it's entertaiment worldwide. One TV series made by cable TV, not to mention Hollywood movie and publishers all over the world from line for your works.
thenix

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:49 am Reply with quote
I think this is an old vs. young question. I think back in the day people (i may include myself) got into anime because it was different. Different in a good way of course. We gave something different a chance because we were bored of watching the same thing over and over. Now Anime is more widespread and it's not really different to just be watching anime. You can be watching naruto on tv then watch one piece and not be different. Therefore I'm saying it might be taken for granted by older fans that people who watch anime enjoy looking for something different or unique, when in reality much of the fandom doesn't want something different. And that goes to say that not everyone that dislikes the show simply doesn't like new things, but I believe in reality that is mostly the case.
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Answerfan wrote:
My lifelong goal is to have one of my stories to become an anime or manga. I wish to write for anime or manga in Japan, or at least create a light novel, have it translated into Japanese, and aim for it to become an anime or manga. How does someone like me, an everyday citizen of the United States, get started on achieving my goal?

It would be kinda neat if there was a Hey Answerfans segment focusing on this idea, or it's own thread or something. Scrolling through this thread, the comments on both sides have been pretty interesting. Would be neat to see debated without all the Flowers of Evil baggage tacked on.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:41 pm Reply with quote
EireformContinent wrote:
But Japanese fame is quite local, while USA exports it's entertaiment worldwide. One TV series made by cable TV, not to mention Hollywood movie and publishers all over the world from line for your works.

If we were talking about Hollywood movies, then that would be true, but that's not true in the realm of comics. Unless people want to settle for a making live-action adaptions instead of manga, like Dragonball Evolution for movies or Walking Dead for shows, then Hollywood's omnipresence isn't going to matter in that scheme of things. American comics, however, are extremely isolated to the American market, even to the point of more people seeing the DC/Marvel movies than people reading the actual comics. Manga seems to sell better in other countries than American comics do, so in that regard they have the advantage of worldwide entertainment (or at least in France and other European countries, which is the only foreign places I've ever found sales statistics for. Well, those and Japan obviously)

Though your example of Oban brings up a good point. Just because it gets made doesn't mean people will like it or care about it. Most people either didn't care for it or said it wasn't anime and the argument overshadowed the show itself so it flew by the radar. Even if people do get their dream of making something it's not some guaranteed success, unfortunately.
ProsesRoses

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:01 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
ProsesRoses wrote:
Why can't you work in the West and be famous here? We have a comics industry too, and it's not just superheroes. That is a very superficial look at comics industry. There are plenty of indie comic publishers that don't do superheroes.

Because they don't sell very well. Marvel and DC dominate the charts and the only non-cape thing that comes close is Walking Dead because it got lucky and got popular from a live-action TV adaption. And honestly not even Marvel and DC sell that well. The average comic sells 70K, and compared to the millions who read Weekly Shounen Jump alone that's not very much. Cartoons are treated even worse than comics as you mentioned. Simply saying "we have comics/cartoons too" doesn't address the heart of the matter of why people want to move to Japan to make their own stuff. They're entirely different markets and regulations.

I knew this argument is going to be made. Only SOME manga artists make decent money off their work, it's still the same handful of manga artists dominating their charts and dramatically decreases in sale as you go down the tankoban charts. This handful of successful comic artists are true for both industries, Japan is just a bigger handful. Peepo Choo didn't exactly set the oricon charts on fire and went only for 3 volumes.

Graphic novels are getting better reputations as a literary medium. I could go into comics history of how censorship and parental bias basically killed the comics industry during the 70s but blah blah. Why I disparage people who don't want to try in the west is that the western comics industry NEEDS new voices and more development. Honestly Japan doesn't need westerners, they've got their own talent pool. You better damn stand out if you want to try.
As for the DC and Marvel dominating the charts, I checked the NY times list (graphic novel paperback), 7/10 were not them - Image Comics was a large part of that 7 which is great because they let creators keep the copyrights of their creations unlike those two.
And oh, the recent Eisner Award nominations? Fantagraphics had the most publisher noms at 24, than Image Comics at 17. Marvel had 7, DC at 2.

As a personal bias and definitely not necessarily true, but some weaboos want to work in Japan because they are Japophiles, they love it soo much they'd rather succeed there, they want to be Japanese and to be loved by the Japanese. And that strikes as not genuine to comics medium which is to tell great stories despite where ever you get published and NOT JUST JAPAN. (especially when you don't even speak the language).
Persopolis is a French comic that has been translated into English and is well regarded. Satrapi could've gone to the USA which has "bigger" audience for comics than France, and even though she is fluent in English, she published in FRANCE. It got really popular, thus got translated in other languages and sells really well.

PS: ATTENTION CREATORS. Chromatic Press (company by ex-Editors of Tokyopop) is open for submissions for comics, writers and illustrators: http://chromaticpress.com/magazine/
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:07 am Reply with quote
ProsesRoses wrote:
Persopolis is a French comic that has been translated into English and is well regarded. Satrapi could've gone to the USA which has "bigger" audience for comics than France, and even though she is fluent in English, she published in FRANCE. It got really popular, thus got translated in other languages and sells really well.

Isn't the Francophone comics market bigger than than the Anglophone comics market?
ProsesRoses

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:10 am Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
ProsesRoses wrote:

Isn't the Francophone comics market bigger than than the Anglophone comics market?

I don't know actually, I've heard Europe regards comics a lot better than North Americans but I don't have any numbers or reports to say it so or compare. I put "bigger" in quotations as the USA has a bigger population (300million) than France (65million), thus USA's market is larger (and if you add Canada of 33million) - although this is by country and not speakers as you've mentioned.
configspace

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:44 am Reply with quote
The population doesn't matter much when so very few read comics and even less so manga. I've read the French manga market is the largest in the world outside of Japan. It might have been in one of the Japan Expo articles... I don't know if they are including Belgium and Switzerland in the French market though.

But I don't get the focus on trying to deter him and make him focus on the US market. If he prefers those aesthetics, then he stands a much better chance of either originating from Japan (much harder) or working with Japan and then going global from there. I certainly would not purely focus on the US if I were him, nor even start from the US if writing for or being involved in manga or anime (as he states) were my goal. I would definitely pick France or any number of European countries + Asian countries + Brazil as a starting point over the US in that case, since it is much more well accepted there
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:53 am Reply with quote
France certainly gets more manga than the english speaking world does.
EireformContinent

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:41 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:

Though your example of Oban brings up a good point. Just because it gets made doesn't mean people will like it or care about it. Most people either didn't care for it or said it wasn't anime and the argument overshadowed the show itself so it flew by the radar. Even if people do get their dream of making something it's not some guaranteed success, unfortunately.

I wouldn't say so- Oban was very popular among teenagers in Europe, had lots of good dubs and nice merchandise. The creator now started another project Two Queens and since it looks like something more adult oriented it seems that he still manages to get on well enough to not agree on compromises.

And I beg you to differ Marvel/DC superheroes and American comics. In Europe even if someone never had heard about those two, the titles from Verting have a nice place.
ProsesRoses wrote:
fuuma_monou wrote:
ProsesRoses wrote:

I don't know actually, I've heard Europe regards comics a lot better than North Americans but I don't have any numbers or reports to say it so or compare. I put "bigger" in quotations as the USA has a bigger population (300million) than France (65million), thus USA's market is larger (and if you add Canada of 33million) - although this is by country and not speakers as you've mentioned.

French comics are also usually translated and published across Europe, and in domestic market they have even better position than manga in Japan. Regarding statistics you must also remember that traditional Franco-0Belgian comics aren't weekly cheap books, but large and quite expensive albums published once for several months.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:59 pm Reply with quote
ProsesRoses wrote:
Why I disparage people who don't want to try in the west is that the western comics industry NEEDS new voices and more development.

Even if it does 'need' new voices, will the market support those voices? That's the thing.

Quote:
As for the DC and Marvel dominating the charts, I checked the NY times list (graphic novel paperback), 7/10 were not them - Image Comics was a large part of that 7 which is great because they let creators keep the copyrights of their creations unlike those two.
And oh, the recent Eisner Award nominations? Fantagraphics had the most publisher noms at 24, than Image Comics at 17. Marvel had 7, DC at 2.

Superhero comics don't really sell in TPB format. TPBs are reserved for something like Walking Dead where non-comic readers want to get into it after watching the show and find the first TPB since it's easier to track down. Superhero comics sell mostly through single issues and comic shops like on ICv2's list.

Speaking of which, does anyone ever report actual sales numbers for TPB sales like Walking Dead in book stores? I've always wondered how much they sell in a year. Despite Naruto always being near the top of the NYT list (best selling graphic novel of the month or whatever), I remember a year or two ago it was reported Naruto only needed to sell like 37,000 copies in a year making it the 'best selling volume' of the year. If you only need 37,000 a year to make it to the top of the New York Times list while in France it's selling for over 200,000, well, that seems like a huge difference in market, especially considering population differences. Just imagine how much it would sell if France had the US's population

Of course, these are just sales numbers. Scanlation numbers and other factors obviously indication the fanbase is much bigger on the pirate side than on the legitimate buying side.

Quote:
Persopolis is a French comic that has been translated into English and is well regarded. Satrapi could've gone to the USA which has "bigger" audience for comics than France

Actually, not really. Take a look at the 2011 Yearly Comic Shipment in France. You got far more comics selling in the hundreds of thousands than you do in America. Oddly enough the best selling American comic is apparently The Simpsons at like 150,00 per volume. That comic only sells like 9000 an issue in America, which is kind of odd a random comic like that is the most popular.

EireformContinent wrote:
I wouldn't say so- Oban was very popular among teenagers in Europe, had lots of good dubs and nice merchandise. The creator now started another project Two Queens and since it looks like something more adult oriented it seems that he still manages to get on well enough to not agree on compromises.

Hm, perhaps in Europe where it might have tons of merchandise that eluded me, but in America and Japan it pretty much went completely unnoticed. The American DVD doesn't even have the French or Japanese track.. whichever the original language was. Japan seems to have completely ignored it altogether. No DVDs, no fan-art, no doujinshi, no nothing.

Quote:
And I beg you to differ Marvel/DC superheroes and American comics. In Europe even if someone never had heard about those two, the titles from Verting have a nice place.

Hey, I agree about the Europe part; like I said France doesn't seem to care one bit for the superhero stuff and prefer other comics, but in America it's a completely different market. It seems like here the only way to break more than 125,000 sales is to be a superhero title and do a super cross-over event that forces people who don't normally buy those titles to buy them either to get the story or to collect.
EireformContinent

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:06 am Reply with quote
Japan ignored Oban Star racers and??? Who cares about Japan? Why not measure tthe success by number of readers in Vietnam? Or China, since they are the biggest nation in the world?
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:39 am Reply with quote
EireformContinent wrote:
Japan ignored Oban Star racers and??? Who cares about Japan? Why not measure tthe success by number of readers in Vietnam? Or China, since they are the biggest nation in the world?

Because it was a French/Japanese co-production?
reanimator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:59 am Reply with quote
Fanclub wrote:
If people don't like the look of rotoscoping that's fine. It's not like we get even one rotoscoped anime per year really, so I don't know why people bother to fuss when for one season one show out of thirty-odd uses that animation technique.

I like it. I wouldn't like it if every show used this technique. I appreciate that the director thought very seriously about his intentions with this show and decided to use rotoscoping for the animation. I like to think about what he is trying to impart to viewers in doing so - why did he make this choice? I like to see anime directors toying with the main aspect of the medium for creative purposes.I want to know why he chose that up-beat intro music with ugly lyrics to juxtapose every other urge the show has. For a lot of anime fans, I think having at least one different/unusual show is a god send.

I like a lot of other anime too. Isn't it nice though, that you can watch a high school show like Chihayafuru (or is this a sports show >_>) and another high school show like Aku no Hana and be left with such an entirely different impression?

Just answering some of your questions, Comic Natalie site have interview between Oshimi (manga artist) and Nagahama (director of the anime). Here's the interview (Japanese):

http://natalie.mu/comic/pp/akunohana

To summarize, both the Oshimi and Nagahama initially thought that live action is more appropriate than typical manga-style animation. According to the artist, the story is loosely based from his adolescence. Since the story connects to readers at personal level, so the director thought that typical anime-look would be rejected by the manga artist. Oshimi wanted something different from the anime than typical manga-to-anime adaptation. Nagahama read the artist's mind and came up with idea that rotoscope would be more natural to portray believable human being than preset manga character. He believes that it's more meaningful with story than usual animation methods.

Ultimately, the Oshimi created his manga to shock audience. He and Nagahama wanted to leave deep, "painful" impression to audience by using rarely used animation technique. They already knew that their collaboration would turn off some people, but they took the risk.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:31 am Reply with quote
Hagaren Viper wrote:

It would be kinda neat if there was a Hey Answerfans segment focusing on this idea, or it's own thread or something. Scrolling through this thread, the comments on both sides have been pretty interesting. Would be neat to see debated without all the Flowers of Evil baggage tacked on.

Hey Answerfans does not need, in any way, a segment catering to the delusions of weeaboos. Because that's what this guy is: he's a weeaboo and only cares about publishing in Japan because Japan is "NEKO SUGOI DESU".

Enabling is a bad thing, kids.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8