• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Toei Replaces Possibly Infringing Dragon Ball Kai Music

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Hey, they reported what I sent. Awesome.

Daimao Raki wrote:
So that means some of these Kai DVDs are now valuable.

Exactly. As are the CD soundtracks. Get on it, collectors!

And look at it this way, if they have to make new music, that means new OSTs. It's almost like they're trying to fund more DB Kai for later.

Well, copied music or not, while it doesn't quite reach Kikuchi quality, it's still a lot better than that soulless crap Bruce Faulconer and Mark Menza came up with.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Banken

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Japanese TV shows steal songs literally every single day.

I think Japanese copyright law when it comes to using songs on TV shows is just really loose since they aren't directly making money off of it.

You can hear everything from The Eagles songs to BGM from Eureka Seven (which you here a LOT).
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Banken wrote:

I think Japanese copyright law when it comes to using songs on TV shows is just really loose since they aren't directly making money off of it.

You can hear everything from The Eagles songs to BGM from Eureka Seven (which you here a LOT).

I hear stuff from the Cowboy Bebop OST sometimes when I watch Japanese TV, just as incidental music used in live-action variety shows/news programs.

What am I doing watching Japanese television without knowing the language, you might ask?

I... I like the commercials.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Well this can't be good.

If their gonna do massive overhaul of the music cause of legal issuses , they might end up using really bad music as replacements , or they might have to use two type of music backgrounds . One for the uncut DVDs and the other for the crappy TV broadcasts for Toonzai and nicktoons.

I just really really hope this does not prove those nay sayers that remaking the series was a waste of time cause at least the DVD versions aren't .

and though i do not want to over react , it may force Funi to pull a 4kids with the music backgrounds ,and that's a really the worst case senario.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:46 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

Sometimes they own the rights to the songs via a production a/or broadcast rights. Witness FNN using the theme song from Odoru Daisousasen (Bayside Shakedown) in their own "Odoru Daisenkyosen"
braves

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:19 pm Reply with quote
DrizzlingEnthalpy wrote:
I've only seen a few bits of Dragon Ball anything ever, but I remember watching some of Toonzai over the summer out of curiosity as to what Kids' WB! had become, and I watched an episode of Kai. One track was an obvious ripoff of a Joseph-Maurice Ravel piece, and I remember thinking how odd it was that they hired a guy to compose a Jimmy Hart version of a song that was already public domain. Now I find out why: apparently Toei didn't realize that's what the composer was doing.
In that case, the track is actually called "Kamigami no Bolero", so at least the dude is making it clear that he's borrowing from Ravel. Not that anybody would confuse the two.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tenchi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:16 pm Reply with quote
On the subject of unauthorized music use, Urusei Yatsura used a note-for-note instrumental version of The Beatles' "Fool on the Hill" as background music at least once (right at the beginning of episode 51, "There's a Cat On the Stairs", the first episode with Kotatsu Neko, the giant cat ghost). I kinda doubt Kitty Films licensed the astronomically-expensive Beatles music for the show (it's not mentioned in the credits).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tomibiki

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:36 pm Reply with quote
All I hear is, Ice Ice Baby, ding ding ding ding duhduh ding ding $$$$
mrsatan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Well, I never liked the Kai soundtrack in the first place and that was the main thing stopping me from purchasing it. If they go back and replace everything with Kikuchi's score I may actually buy the revised version.

Shunsuke Kikuchi and Hironobu Kageyama were a big part of what made DBZ great IMHO.
vashthekaizoku

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:55 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised nobody's pointing out that it's ending next month! Are they not covering the Buu saga at all, or is it moving to another time slot? They're just finishing the Cell Games which, even though it's my favorite part of the series, is not the ending! That's like Rurouni Kenshin not animating the last several volumes of the manga! I mean, I know they were animated years ago, but I enjoy this version, without all the side stories. I'm actually a fan of DBZ from the manga, and I've actually never watched the original, having not gotten into it until it came out in the American Shonen Jump.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:34 pm Reply with quote
vashthekaizoku wrote:
I'm surprised nobody's pointing out that it's ending next month! Are they not covering the Buu saga at all, or is it moving to another time slot? They're just finishing the Cell Games which, even though it's my favorite part of the series, is not the ending! That's like Rurouni Kenshin not animating the last several volumes of the manga! I mean, I know they were animated years ago, but I enjoy this version, without all the side stories. I'm actually a fan of DBZ from the manga, and I've actually never watched the original, having not gotten into it until it came out in the American Shonen Jump.

From what I understand, the home video and merchandise weren't selling to Toei's desires, so they decided to end it with the Cell arc.

It was probably selling a lot more than other titles, but they likely had inflated expectations based on the past success of the franchise.

I'd like to see them do the Buu arc at some point (since it needs Kai badly with all that filler in it), but it won't be soon. It's too bad, too, because the Funimation English dub for Kai is quite good, and with Kai ending before the Buu arc, a lot of people will resort to watching the old terrible English version.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:50 am Reply with quote
Tenchi: I don't feel that bad for greedy record companies if they're too damned stingy to let people even use riffs or samples of songs in shows. It's why we can't get the uncut WKRP on DVD. And even though they admit they're having historically shitty sales, they continue to charge a damned fortune for their songs to the point that even a hit show like Glee can't afford it. Even Moby thinks they're worthless.
Alexis.Anagram

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:16 am Reply with quote
VegettoEX wrote:
Hurray, something I can speak with authority on!

All of those links are going straight to my audiophile anime-nerd friends to giggle over mercilessly.

On the bright side, all of that plagiarism paid off in one hell of an awesome soundtrack. If you're going to steal music, might as well make it the good stuff. Cool
mrsatan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:19 am Reply with quote
The Buu arc was a real mess and would take a LOT of work to salvage it, IMHO. Even in the manga it dragged on forever aimlessly.

As for this composer, even though I didn't like his work on DBK, I do feel a bit sorry for him. He would have never been "caught" if not for the internet. Pre-internet, this kind of thing happened all the time in anime. There's an image song in Dancougar that is a shameless ripoff of Dare from Transformers: The Movie.
NJ_

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:26 am Reply with quote
Here's an update:

Kanzentai wrote:
What has the world come to... we're now reporting about Tweets? Oh well, it is the way of the world now, but we're going with it anyway since this has been such a crazy day!

Our buddy kei17 has reached out to a friend who lives in Akita Prefecture, Japan, to find out exactly what measures Toei Animation has taken with the musical score. It should be noted that in Akita Prefecture the broadcast of DragonBall Kai is 17 days behind that of the most recent episode and airs on a Wednesday at 4:30PM. Here's the reply he received from @syoujikimura:

Quote:
Yesterday, in Akita the episodes up to Gohan's awakening have been broadcast, but the opening title display, the sub-title BGM, and then all the BGM throughout the show has been changed to the Z stuff. The OP, ED, CM opening and closing, and the seiyuu's voices have been left the same as in Kai.

So it appears that Toei Animation is not taking any risks and is entirely replacing Yamamoto Kenji's Kai score with Kikuchi Shunsuke's original DragonBall Z score. The only pieces left intact are the opening theme Dragon Soul, the ending theme Kokoro no Hane, and the eyecatch music, which are based on Dragon Soul. You'll note that none of these remaining themes were composed or arranged by Yamamoto, which is most likely why they were retained.

No information has yet been released concerning the use of Yamamoto's score in future or previously sold merchandise. As always, stay tuned for more as we get it hot off the Twitter feed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3