• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Night Shifts

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 3:19 am Reply with quote
Also pre ordered Dragon Crown, for the artbook, and I for one am looking forward to the illustrations of the Sorceress.

Also ordered Class of Heroes 2, looking forward to that one as well.

We did get summon knight 1 and 2 , and twin something, so three games is not bad.
Kerberous

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 3:39 am Reply with quote
Battle Cossack wrote:

That's just video games publishers being misogynistic. Look at this gem "‘You can’t make a dude like the player kiss another dude in the game, that’s going to feel awkward.’"

And Tomb Raider, while still a flop for Squeenix, sold over 4 million copies with a female protagonist.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 5:41 am Reply with quote
Battle Cossack wrote:
I personally feel the lighting that you are describing here exaggerates the attention drawn to her bottom. To me it looks like they took a picture of her from behind and shined a flashlight on her left butt-cheek, which I think places more emphasis on her figure/sex appeal than is necessary.

How so? There's a bright spot but it is in no way inconsistent with the rest of the image. In fact, the exact same glare effect is visible on the back of her neck and shoulders. It's a pretty small spot too. You make it sounds like they've turned a flood light on her whole ass but it's just the little glare in the corner. And that in turn means most of it is shadowed. And the heavy black shadows covering the bulk of that area mean you can't make out any of the lines. It's a borderline silhouette with no depth at all. It's also worth noting that the dull blue/black color is the antithesis of eye catching and blends fairly well with the plain white background. Conversely, the top half is bright orange and features a sharp contrast between the white/grey character and the orange background. It's vastly more attention drawing. So no, you're just wrong here. As a simple matter of fact, the cover is not doing anything to highlight the lower region. The opposite in fact.

Quote:
ikillchicken wrote:
Criticizing the cover for choosing one of the few poses out of many that you find potentially sexual would be reasonable. In that case it would seem fair to interpret it as them going out of their way to sexual the character.

That's exactly what I did. I find highlighting secondary sex characteristics as "potentially sexual".

No. As I just explained, they didn't choose one of the few potentially sexual poses out of many others that weren't. Ergo, this cannot be your claim. The bulk of poses (although not all) would feature one body part or another that can be potentially sexual. Hence, I see no reason to be skeptical of their intent merely because they showed one such body part. Unless they do something specific to highlight its sexuality, there should be no problem. And I already addressed above why that's not the case. It sounds like that's your main issue here though so I guess this paragraph is fairly moot.

Quote:
ikillchicken wrote:
In that case, you're actually asking that they go out of their way to make sure and hide the character's body.
I never said that. Please don't put words in my mouth.

You said that they could have either not shown her butt or covered it up. If you agreed that nothing is wrong with merely showing the character's bottom then the fact that they didn't have to would be irrelevant would it not? Hence, I naturally assumed you must indeed be asking that they make sure and not show the character's body. That's not me putting words in your mouth. That's just the logical implication of your other statement. If this isn't what you meant to say then I'm afraid that's on you.

Quote:
You can show a woman's body without sensationalizing her curves.

Please offer an example then. To me the cover seems more or less about as subtle and downplayed as you can get while still showing her rear in the frame. So give me an example of an image that does this without in your view "sensationalizing her curves".

Quote:

Yes. That is precisely why listening to people complain about it makes me want to bash my head on my desk. Despite all the industry's rampant, unapologetic sexism, somehow this game with a strong and sensibly clothed female protagonist actually got made and published. And they're not even shying away from it on the cover. And what do people do? Whip out their microscopes to find something to complain about anyway! This endless deluge of negativity and nitpicking is not constructive though. It basically tells the industry that they should just give up. I mean, they can't do anything right so who cares. Just forget female characters. If you make a bad one people will complain but if you try and make a good one people will still find some reason to complain anyway.
casualfan

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 9:19 am Reply with quote
I am in no way against fanservice but still that Remember Me cover is sexualized. Not as blatant as other titles but still they could've just shown the upper body, or give her a trenchcoat to cover up the buttock kind of like Dante's in DMC. But she was given a tight jeans, with her jacket down only to her waist, and the angle and the pose perfectly accentuates her booty. So it's definitely sexualized but not as blatant as other titles.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
Chrno2 wrote:
Damn it!! I want that artbook for Dragon's Crown. George YOU NEED TO RELEASE A DAMN BOOK!! WITH ALL YOUR ARTWORK IN IT SO I CAN BUY IT!!

As for the Kickstarter project, this is pretty intense. I'm going to read the full proposal. I watched the video. I would love to see this as a full international thing. We could always use something like this in our collection. I just finished listening to the vid, it sounds very interesting. I wish they would fund a video type project of this sort too. I would love to see the inner history of some unknown companies and sort of overlooked titles. I'm definitely looking forward to it.

I pushed back Tiger and Bunny part 2 from my schedule so I could pre-order Dragon's Crown early for that artbook. Looks fantastic, and its included in the preorder for free.

Well, I know we ordered our copy maybe I can steal their copy. Twisted Evil
Chagen46

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 3:50 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
Hey, at least the protagonist of Remember Me made it on the cover, lest we forget the nonsense of Elizabeth being removed from the front cover of Bioshock Infinite and Ellie almost being removed from the front cover of The Last of Us despite being equally as important to the narrative as the male lead (in Bioshock's case, even more important), in both cases because the companies though having a female on the cover would hurt sales or some nonsense.

The video game industry: most of us probably aren't intentionally sexist, but dang if we don't do a solid job of making ourselves look like we are!

Believe me.

Most male gamers are that sexist. Need I bring up Sarkeesian and the utterly pathological and grossly disturbing hatred she recieved?

Many male gamers are sexist, and from my minor dealings with them, are proud of it. In gamer culture being a misogynistic asshat is a thing of pride.

On Shoryuken I called out some guys on their sexist remarks and thirteen different people started psychotically atacking me, downvoting my post into oblivion, reporting me for trolling, and one mod threatened to ban me solely because I told them to stop being misogynistic.
WindAlchemistJen

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Ugh...I think I'll stick with the original Final Fantasy Tactics and its enhanced port, The War of the Lions. I refuse to support the FFT Advance based games after having played the first FFTA(couldn't finish it).
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
doctordoom85 wrote:
Hey, at least the protagonist of Remember Me made it on the cover, lest we forget the nonsense of Elizabeth being removed from the front cover of Bioshock Infinite and Ellie almost being removed from the front cover of The Last of Us despite being equally as important to the narrative as the male lead (in Bioshock's case, even more important), in both cases because the companies though having a female on the cover would hurt sales or some nonsense.

The video game industry: most of us probably aren't intentionally sexist, but dang if we don't do a solid job of making ourselves look like we are!

Believe me.

Most male gamers are that sexist. Need I bring up Sarkeesian and the utterly pathological and grossly disturbing hatred she recieved?

Many male gamers are sexist, and from my minor dealings with them, are proud of it. In gamer culture being a misogynistic asshat is a thing of pride.

On Shoryuken I called out some guys on their sexist remarks and thirteen different people started psychotically atacking me, downvoting my post into oblivion, reporting me for trolling, and one mod threatened to ban me solely because I told them to stop being misogynistic.

Im going point out the obvious. So what? I'll admit I want to see attractive females in my games. I don't want to seem some flat chested goth punk with a shaved head, or some overweight homely girl. I don't see the big deal. I doubt women would want to see the same. Some nerdy glass wearing overweight otaku who thinks soap is nothing more than a paper weight.

The fact of the matter for most console gaming men still drive the sales, and at the end of the day the visuals will cater to men. But its not like women would be any more egalitarian if the situation was reversed. And so what, is your and every other women's opinion of yourself so low that you care what a bunch of guys play in games. At the end of the day, does a fictional magic wielding sorceress in a niche Japanese RPG having enlarged breast effect you directly.

The reason you get attacked it twofold, I of course am always guilty of this as well, but its that a. you present your opinion as somehow being the morally high ground. You criticize people for a preference, and when they call you out on that you proceed to think of yourself as the entire representation of women, and say they are misogynistic because they are offensive to you. And b. people get swayed by emotion, don't sit down and think out a well reasoned response and just resort to childish antics.

You are entitled to your opinion and I have no problem, but don't confuse your viewpoint on the matter as somehow being fact and the "right way". If you can accept that a lot of gamers just like that stuff, then others can accept your viewpoint, and we can just agree to disagree.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Im going point out the obvious. So what? I'll admit I want to see attractive females in my games.

You're missing the point like so many before you.

The point isn't "there are too many attractive characters". The point is "female characters tend to exist solely to be sexually attractive and do nothing".

I'm sick of girls in games being useless and just being there because "we gotta have hot chicks". I'm sick of how every [expletive] main character is some bald white dude.

Should a game even HAVE female main characters, their role in the plot is usually useless. You can usually remove them and barely anything would have be changed, except, MAYBE like a romance subplot with the MC--but in that case, the character's sole reason for existence is to be a trophy for the male main character. She is, in the eyes of the devs and writers, worthless for any other purpose.

Quote:
The fact of the matter for most console gaming men still drive the sales

"It's been happening for a while" is not a valid reason to let something keep happening.

Slave-owning was customary for a while, should we have kept it for solely that reason? And don't pull that "that's different" bullshit, it's the same damn thing.

Quote:
At the end of the day, does a fictional magic wielding sorceress in a niche Japanese RPG having enlarged breast effect you directly.

When it's unncessary, gratuitous, and puerile, yes, it does, because I'm tired of getting tits shoved in my face because straight men literally are incapable of handling the idea that something isn't targeted solely towards them.

Quote:
You are entitled to your opinion and I have no problem, but don't confuse your viewpoint on the matter as somehow being fact and the "right way".

But it is. Egalitarianism is the only logical option for any person who wishes to be ethical and morally correct. Those who are not egilatarian are amoral by default.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Battle Cossack wrote:

Well that's a silly article. Games like Mirror's Edge, Perfect Dark, Resident Evil, Metroid and Tomb Raider all existed before Remember Me, so I am highly dubious of the claim that females have a hard time being the out-and-out protagonists, let alone being part of the wider playable cast (like in Heavy Rain or Alone in the Dark).

Those gripes seemed to be focused on making a fuss and try and talk up/promote the game rather than actually addressing the real issue of female representation in video games.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 6:04 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Battle Cossack wrote:

Well that's a silly article. Games like Mirror's Edge, Perfect Dark, Resident Evil, Metroid and Tomb Raider all existed before Remember Me, so I am highly dubious of the claim that females have a hard time being the out-and-out protagonists, let alone being part of the wider playable cast (like in Heavy Rain or Alone in the Dark).

It's much easier to find them when they're part of multiple main characters (which would include Resident Evil). All of those games (with maybe the exception of Mirror's Edge) also originated in far less risk adverse environments. Tomb Raider is an established franchise, so that's not a risk. And in Metroid's case, people didn't know Samus was a woman at first as it was only revealed if you beat the game under certain conditions.

And the fact that a few games with them exist is hardly evidence that the article is 'silly'. That there are so few of them serves the article's point.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Exceptions like that don't prove anything. All they prove is that exceptions exist. And many of those, like Perfect Dark, Metroid, and Tomb Raider are "grandfather'ed-in" exceptions at that.

The amount of female main characters in games are INCREDIBLY low. I remember reading a study done by one person on this and the amount was shockingly depressing. It was on Destructoid--I'll look for it again but if you dig in the blogs you should find it.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 6:40 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
All of those games (with maybe the exception of Mirror's Edge) also originated in far less risk adverse environments.

I confess I am not the most hard-core of gamers, but I'm pretty sure that the industry as a whole in the nineties was not just throwing cash at risky far-out projects and seeing what stuck. The FPS boom definitely showed that they latched onto whatever was popular, just as they do now. And certainly, female characters were even more uncommon back then than they are now, so even if the industry was a bit less risk-adverse in general that would balance it.

HitokiriShadow wrote:
Tomb Raider is an established franchise, so that's not a risk.

I was talking about the first one. Duh.

Chagen46 wrote:
All they prove is that exceptions exist.

Which was my point. The article said that you can't have a female character in a video game but that's an absolutely absurd remark and patently untrue. I could name all those titles off the top of my head, and as I said above, I am hardly a hardcore gamer with an encyclopaedic memory of games.

Chagen46 wrote:
The amount of female main characters in games are INCREDIBLY low.

I wholeheartedly agree that it's too low and I'd definitely like to see more female characters in the driving seat, so to speak. (I'd also like to see more women participate in the industry as developers.) However, there's a massive difference between too low and none at all.

Female protagonists have shown that they can carry a game and even in a couple of cases an entire multi-media franchise. This article with its BS assertion is just trying to market a game by saying "we bet impossible odds that weren't actually impossible" rather than talk about the very real issue of the under-representation of women in video games.
Jen Bigby

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

Confused If you mean that Feminist Frequency thing people don't disagree with her because they're misogynistic, they hate her because she lies and doesn't know anything about the stuff she talks about. I think she's full of bologna and I'm pretty sure I'm not misogynistic.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 6:59 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

I confess I am not the most hard-core of gamers, but I'm pretty sure that the industry as a whole in the nineties was not just throwing cash at risky far-out projects and seeing what stuck. The FPS boom definitely showed that they latched onto whatever was popular, just as they do now. And certainly, female characters were even more uncommon back then than they are now, so even if the industry was a bit less risk-adverse in general that would balance it.

Developers were much more willing to take risks at the time simply because the costs for development were vastly smaller. Furthermore, the game environment has changed. No one talked about "dudebros" back then because those types of games made a smaller portion of the market and weren't getting the overwhelming bulk of the development and advertising dollars. You'll also notice a lot more animal main characters and cartoony games in general (like Crash Bandicoot, Gex and Tomba).

You still didn't see many female main characters, but it would probably have been easeir to get away with it then do to the lower costs and environment in general. I'm skeptical they were more uncommon then than now though. I'd guess they were about the same.

Again, even for more recent games, the fact that you can name a couple, out of the hundreds of games that get released each year is hardly evidence that the article is wrong.

dtm42 wrote:
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Tomb Raider is an established franchise, so that's not a risk.

I was talking about the first one. Duh.

Then it falls in the same category as the other titles you picked from 10+ years ago. I addressed this in case you were trying to use it as a recent example since just about none of your other ones were.

dtm42 wrote:
The article said that you can't have a female character in a video game but that's an absolutely absurd remark and patently untrue.

That was an quote attributed to publishers they were trying to get on board for their game. The quote does not mean "it's impossible for any game ever to have a female main character'. What it means is that the publishers are highly resistant to putting one out in the current environment and they are telling the developer "you can't have a female main character if you want us to publish your game, because games with them sell poorly'. I'm not sure how you managed to interpret that as some sort of absolute statement about every game ever.

Jen Bigby wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:

Confused If you mean that Feminist Frequency thing people don't disagree with her because they're misogynistic, they hate her because she lies and doesn't know anything about the stuff she talks about. I think she's full of bologna and I'm pretty sure I'm not misogynistic.

That's funny, because almost all of the people who "disagree" with her seem to have no idea what SHE'S talking about. And there's a big difference between "disagreeing" and "spewing hateful bile", especially when they start doing it before she made a single video. I've also set to see a decent argument against anything she's said in those videos.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4