• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gackt in Dirge of Cerebus

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:43 pm Reply with quote
DarkTenshi90 wrote:

Sometimes I wish there was an option where you could choose to listen to the Japanese voices. Honestly, Square-Enix isn't that great when it comes to choosing voices here in America. Musashi: Samurai Legend made me was to sob quietly.Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop

Neh, actually...Musashi: Samurai Legend was released in English first...not Japanese... Not sure how/why this happened, but it did (so there was no chance of having the choice...the Japanese voice-over was incomplete).

Truthfully, in the case of Musashi: SL, it's just a matter of the voice actor over-acting...this was done with Brave Fencer Musashi, as well...

--> Go to next...
I'm just happy that some of the games actually have their voice-overs intact... Any voice-over in games that are supposed to have voice-overs make me happy... (Damn you, Namco in the US, for removing the lines in Tales of Destiny.)

If you don't like localized voice-acting...import the game--quite simple. If you know where to look you can find new Japanese games for around $30 (with shipping around $10)...

--> And then again...

Personally, as for Dirge of Cerebus, I just want to play it. Very Happy I don't care what the voices sound like or what the songs sound like (though, personally, unless there's some sort of localization problem, I think the songs willl stay intact).

Last edited by Lady Multi on Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:04 am; edited 1 time in total
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:08 am Reply with quote
That quote wasn't me. DarkTenshi90 said that.
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:19 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Who knows, maybe Gacky can speak english too for the role? =3

Lmfao, no. I have a few of his albums, and Gackt's english is terrible. Whenever he tries to use english that he can't pronounce, he lowers his voice. He goes too low and it turns into an unusual lulling, purring noise instead of actual singing. A few years back, he did a Christmas duet with Ayumi Hamasaki; they sung "Silent Night." I could have sworn that he was speaking in tounges. Laughing

But joking aside, Gackt's voice suits the role very well. And now we can all make jokes about Vincent singing, "Vanilla." (A cookie to the first person who actually knows what I'm talking about.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:07 am Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:
That quote wasn't me. DarkTenshi90 said that.

Sorry, I corrected. ^-^ I got to carried away with narrowing down the quote~ I fixed it~
TsubomiKoneko

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 3:28 am Reply with quote
When they say 'Act' I hope they don't mean like in Bujingai. Which they left Gackt's voice for but dubbed over everyone else... course Gackt only had to grunt and say spell names and the such so that was a bit disappointing anyway.

I hope they would leave a Japanese track option, anyways, they could probably still have the music even if they dub over voices, Final Fantasy X had a Japanese theme in it (or does noone remember Suteki da Ne?)
DriftRoot

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:34 am Reply with quote
Haru to Ashura wrote:

But joking aside, Gackt's voice suits the role very well. And now we can all make jokes about Vincent singing, "Vanilla." (A cookie to the first person who actually knows what I'm talking about.)

Suits what role very well? I haven't seen any mention of which character he is performing, and I don't believe it's Vincent. (Am I taking you too literally?)

I would assume that the Japanese VA who performed Vincent in FF7 AC would reprise the role in the game. (The same applies to everyone else making an appearance.) If this is so, Gackt is not going to be performing anyone who appeared in AC.

Some hot discussion has ensued on various Dirge of Cerberus sites about who will be the English VA for Vincent. For some reason, a lot of people are favoring Johnny Depp...which completely ignores the fact that he would never do such a thing and Squeenix would never pay for it. God help us if Vincent ends up sounding...weird. Crying or Very sad I am holding out for a relatively unknown VA who can turn in a good performance, not some veteran who we all will recognize.
Demaar

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:01 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Lady Multi"]
DarkTenshi90 wrote:
If you don't like localized voice-acting...import the game--quite simple. If you know where to look you can find new Japanese games for around $30 (with shipping around $10)...
Really? I'm gonna have to start looking harder then...
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:58 pm Reply with quote
DriftRoot wrote:
Haru to Ashura wrote:

Suits what role very well? I haven't seen any mention of which character he is performing, and I don't believe it's Vincent. (Am I taking you too literally?)

Oh, I was assuming that he was voicing Vincent. I guess I didn't read thoroughly. Still, his voice would suit Vincent, and having Gackt in the game would be a better selling point (to the Japanese audience, at least) than a VA. Then again, Bujungai wasn't actually the world's greatest game.... Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
DarkTenshi90

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 10:52 am Reply with quote
Demaar wrote:
Lady Multi wrote:
Really? I'm gonna have to start looking harder then...

I'm afraid I didn't say that, XP so I'll fix this up a bit. Anyway, actually, finding imported Japanese games is more expensive than that. Truthfully, I'd rather purchase here in America because not only is it cheaper, you get the updated version of the game. Or, you can just wait for the final mix of the game which can cost up to $100. Crying or Very sad Everything's just so expensive.
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 1:32 pm Reply with quote
DarkTenshi90 wrote:
Lady Multi wrote:

I'm afraid I didn't say that, XP so I'll fix this up a bit. Anyway, actually, finding imported Japanese games is more expensive than that.

Really, and here I thought I found Tales of Legenda for $20 when it was brand new in Japan. Hmm...

Quote:
Truthfully, I'd rather purchase here in America because not only is it cheaper, you get the updated version of the game.

Updated version? I only know 1 game that was changed significantly to update it...that was the "unfinished" Final Fantasy VII when it came to the US. They inserted Ruby and Emerald Weapon, extened Sephy's 'Super Nova' spell/summon, and did other tweaks.

Other than that, why would a finished game need updating?

Quote:
Or, you can just wait for the final mix of the game which can cost up to $100. Crying or Very sad Everything's just so expensive.

^-^ That's why you poke around from place to place. As for Final Mix versions...we don't get these in the US so there is no choice but to import--true Final Mix versions normally stay in Japan along with Special Editions (why we don't get them, I'm not aware). But...as I've said...if you know where to look, you can find them at a reasonable price. For example: when Kingdom Hearts Final Mix was released, I had the chance to import it for around $40<--same price basically as localized games.

So...no...it doesn't have to be expensive. ^-^ But~if you don't want to bother with imports, then you have to settle with what you get, neh, cause we don't get to chose the voice actors~ (haha).

Admittingly, there have been several voice-acting jobs I've hated, but it hasn't stopped me from playing the game; and as for the Musashi: SL game I originally quoted you for Rolling Eyes , I got used to his voice like all the voice-acting before hand, because one has to look at the fact: At least we're getting the game locally (Damn you, Namco for not bringing the true Tales of Destiny 2 over here).
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Lady Multi wrote:
DarkTenshi90 wrote:
Truthfully, I'd rather purchase here in America because not only is it cheaper, you get the updated version of the game.

Updated version? I only know 1 game that was changed significantly to update it...that was the "unfinished" Final Fantasy VII when it came to the US. They inserted Ruby and Emerald Weapon, extened Sephy's 'Super Nova' spell/summon, and did other tweaks.

They also "updated" Kingdom Hearts when it came to the US. They adding Sephy as a boss and Kurt Zisa or whatever his name was. Of course, the Japanese in turn released an even more updated version in Japan after that one, but ya... can't think of any others though.
DarkTenshi90

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 2:47 pm Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:
Lady Multi wrote:
DarkTenshi90 wrote:

They also "updated" Kingdom Hearts when it came to the US. They adding Sephy as a boss and Kurt Zisa or whatever his name was. Of course, the Japanese in turn released an even more updated version in Japan after that one, but ya... can't think of any others though.

I believe FFX-2 also had more in it. Confused By the feeling of it, I'm pretty sure S-E will add more to Dirge of Cereberus. I could be wrong, but really, it hasn't released yet so there's no answer.
DarkTenshi90

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Lady Multi wrote:
Admittingly, there have been several voice-acting jobs I've hated, but it hasn't stopped me from playing the game; and as for the Musashi: SL game I originally quoted you for Rolling Eyes , I got used to his voice like all the voice-acting before hand, because one has to look at the fact: At least we're getting the game locally (Damn you, Namco for not bringing the true Tales of Destiny 2 over here).

Alright, everybody has their own opinions, I just didn't really care for the dubbing job in it. *Shrugs* But yeah, atleast it did come here.
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 12:52 am Reply with quote
DarkTenshi90 wrote:
PantsGoblin wrote:
Lady Multi wrote:
DarkTenshi90 wrote:

I believe FFX-2 also had more in it. Confused By the feeling of it, I'm pretty sure S-E will add more to Dirge of Cereberus. I could be wrong, but really, it hasn't released yet so there's no answer.

More than likely, the Dirge of Cereberus tweaks are going to deal with the "online mode" or if any bugs appear during the game; after all, this is the first time SquareEnix really used a ~what do they call it now~ a Gun-Action RPG or whatever they've labled it. Keh, if they shift the story with their tweaking I'll kill'em.
DarkTenshi90

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 11:52 am Reply with quote
Lady Multi wrote:
More than likely, the Dirge of Cereberus tweaks are going to deal with the "online mode" or if any bugs appear during the game; after all, this is the first time SquareEnix really used a ~what do they call it now~ a Gun-Action RPG or whatever they've labled it. Keh, if they shift the story with their tweaking I'll kill'em.

True, I can understand that. I doubt they play with anything in the story, at the most, they may add some extra side bosses. Usually, things they add into a game in the American version never affect the story too much unless it has to deal with a bug or adding side quests in.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3