• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - My Pet Maughanster

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:53 pm Reply with quote
If you're referring to stuff like spoiler[The First Ancestral Race], then yes, it was shown that for the TV series and End of Evangelion, that they were involved.

Who knows what's going down with the Rebuild movies. I don't personally see them going down the path of fighting some Abrahamic "God" (just like I didn't see that happening with Angel Beats!), but ya never know. With how 2.0/2.22 ended, all bets are off the table as far as where its going, and probably only the Studio Khara staff knows.
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:44 pm Reply with quote
TimMaughan wrote:

Ojamajo LimePie wrote:
For the love of God, these guys are idiots (and rather misogynistic!)

And good afternoon to you too sir!

That would be Ma'am.

Quote:
PRO-TIP: You may want to look up the meaning of the word misogynistic prior to using it again.

I WILL be giving Modoka more of a watch, don't fret Smile I don't think its particularly unusual though for someone of my age to be turned off by watching teenage girl drama - which did make up the majority of the first episode - is it?

It was this kind of condescension towards anything aimed at girls that I was referring to as misogynistic.
fmagrave

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Ojamajo LimePie wrote:

It was this kind of condescension towards anything aimed at girls that I was referring to as misogynistic.

So, by your logic if a girl dislikes football it would be misandry?
TimMaughan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Ojamajo LimePie wrote:
TimMaughan wrote:

Ojamajo LimePie wrote:
For the love of God, these guys are idiots (and rather misogynistic!)

And good afternoon to you too sir!

That would be Ma'am.

Quote:
PRO-TIP: You may want to look up the meaning of the word misogynistic prior to using it again.

I WILL be giving Modoka more of a watch, don't fret Smile I don't think its particularly unusual though for someone of my age to be turned off by watching teenage girl drama - which did make up the majority of the first episode - is it?

Ha! Apologies on the sir thing. Too used to guys with female avatars all day on Twitter Smile

So by same definition I must hate teenagers too? Because I don't actually.

Sorry if I came across as condescending, not intentional. A lot of that stuff just doesn't appeal to me; I'm not judging it. Plus I'm not convinced the show - and many others - is actually aimed primarily at girls.
agila61

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:29 pm Reply with quote
If the people who make PMMM can't be bothered to make it available to me, I can't be bothered to watch it.

Unless Crunchyroll has a number of licenses still in negotiation and on the back burner because of quake disruptions etc., with one Viz stream (at least so far), people'r'assuming 2 noitaminA simulcasts from Funimation, people'r'assuming one simulcasts from TAN ... it looks like the production committees of about half the season have decided to give a monopoly to pirate bootleg distribution.

So with respect to the point of making legit content easily available ~ it may be better than music during the Napster, pre-iTunes era, but its still a glass half full, glass half empty situation.

And while the UK, Ireland, Netherlands, Iceland, Norway, Sweden and Finland have the full Crunchyroll slate for free, and Portugal, Brazil and Spanish America are close to that ... that's only for the 40% or so of the season on Crunchyroll.

We are just seeing the announcement for ANN's venture with Kase for a UK streaming site, so the UK access may start to approach the North American level of access, but that's building up toward a half a glass, and still leaves big chunks of the world with only dribs and drabs of legit access.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:31 pm Reply with quote
What I don't understand is why you say it feels weird to watch shows with 14 year old characters? I'm only 25, but I watch this stuff with my dad, who's over 50, and he loves it. If you enjoy something... who cares how old you are? Are you saying that 70 year olds shouldn't be watching say... Azumanga Daioh? Age does not matter.

Edit: to the guy above: you can't be BOTHERED? It's like you'd be doing THEM a favor by watching it. That's a VERY poor choise of words considering you can find Madoka downloads on every second anime related page. You are passing up a great show just because it's not available legally? Sucks to be you, but you missed half the fun of Madoka already. The wild speculations after each episode, along with numerous Kyuubei death-fantasies were half the fun.
Captain Crotchspike

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Yeah, you'd think Manga would want to print more of the End of Evangelion movie.

Just to note, this comparison doesn't really work given the particular circumstances around End of Evangelion (remember why it took so long for it to come out in the first place?). There's plenty of reason to believe they'd probably like to, but can't. I doubt there are similar circumstances for Nanoha.
TimMaughan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:36 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
What I don't understand is why you say it feels weird to watch shows with 14 year old characters? I'm only 25, but I watch this stuff with my dad, who's over 50, and he loves it. If you enjoy something... who cares how old you are? Are you saying that 70 year olds shouldn't be watching say... Azumanga Daioh? Age does not matter.

No, it doesn't matter at all. If you enjoy that kind of stuff. Sadly I don't.

But maybe its just me. Maybe I'm weird. When I was 14 I wouldn't have been interested in watching girls talking about their crushes on boys either. Sadly we didn't even have Gundam or Macross in the UK back then, let alone the 80s cyberpunk anime we had to wait a few more years to get - now that would have made the 14 year old me VERY happy...
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
ss-hikaru wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:
ss-hikaru wrote:

But then he compared it to the Golden Compass (I like the books, refused to see the movies) and I don't know anymoreeeee! Guess I'll wait and see what happens with the next movie/s before making a decision.

Zac was saying that the series might end up with Shinji fighting God, or something that is supposed to represent the Abrahamic God. While I have never seen Golden Compass and only know the basics of the series I can safely say that the characters and plot share very little in common.

I know. But the fact that the story might be about humans trying to overthrow god using EVA's and God creating Angels to stay in power makes the whole thing way more interesting.

Wait, wasn't it confirmed in the "Classified Info" that the Angels (and by extension spoiler[humanity] are actually spoiler[aliens].

So "God" doesn't really play too much into NGE at all. If anything the religous reference s aren't "Biblical" so much as "Arthur C. Clarkian" (it's rather obvious that he was a big influence on the show).

Course I guess it depends if you want to consider that canon or not....

The angels are and are not aliens.

To be specific the spoiler[ancestral race] seeded planets like one of those t-shirt cannon things and accidentally put two different kinds of seeds on one planet. spoiler[Adam created what we consider angels, while Lilith's blood which was LCL is the primordial ooze that all other life including humanity is created from, so Angels is nothing more than a term to call all living beings included bacteria and and plant life.]
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:52 pm Reply with quote
TimMaughan wrote:
Sorry if I came across as condescending, not intentional. A lot of that stuff just doesn't appeal to me; I'm not judging it. Plus I'm not convinced the show - and many others - is actually aimed primarily at girls.

It's okay, I overreacted. I've just had to deal with some male fans who are condescending towards female-targeted anime and shows with female leads, and I projected that onto you in my frustration. Sorry about that. Anime smile + sweatdrop And, no, Madoka isn't aimed primarily at girls.

That's actually an interesting subject, though. Why are women expected to watch male-targeted anime, while a man who watches female-targeted anime (esp. mahou shoujo) is considered odd or sometimes even a pedophile?
CG-LOVER

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Ok, wow, lots to talk about here concerning the podcast.

First, I want to mention that brief part about Tokyo Mag. 8.0 from the podcast because oddly enough I'm facing a bit of a situation with that show. Believe it or not, my school's anime club is actually considering watching that show despite (or rather because of) what has happened in Japan recently. And I am completely against the idea personally, but apparently some people in the club think it will somehow better educate us about what is currently happening over there or something. And I guess I can sort of understand their reasoning, but like Tim said, I just don't think I'd be able to handle it. I mean, according to their reasoning, there are plenty of other shows/movies based of off real disasters and this is no different. But while that may be true, the fact still remains that the timing of this is just too soon. I mean I'm sure people didn't feel like watching movies about terrorists only a couple weeks after 9/11 right?

Moving on, about NGE, I personally have to disagree with Zac about the English dialogue (in the TV show, not necessarily the movies cause I haven't seen them yet), more specifically about Tiffany Grant and Spike, who I feel were two of the strongest actors in the show. I don't deny that there were problems with the dub. Specifically, I think a lot of the minor/insignificant roles were poorly dubbed (e.g. random citizens, some of Shinji's classmates...Toji >_>), but when it came to the characters that mattered they hit the ball out of the park. In fact I'm kinda disappointed that some of the actors like Guil Lunde (Fuyutsuki), Aaron Krohn (Kaji), and of course Tristan MacAvery (Gendo, though I'm aware that his departure from NGE wasn't necessarily because he wasn't available) stopped dubbing anime because they just did phenomenal jobs.

I still can't wait to start watching the rebuild movies though. I do hope I can adjust to all of FUNi's VA replacements, but as long as Spike, Tiffany, and Allison are still in it I'm sure it won't be too difficult. I'm also excited to see how the story will change this time around (that little discussion about what happens to EVA 03 this time already has me excited)

Next, I don't want to say this but I do agree with Charred Knight here, in that Tim's idea about the industry may not really pan out, mostly because I think he's giving the current pirates too much credit. I know it may pain some to think that their actions aren't born out of anything more than just greed, but that's pretty much the case sadly. And they aren't going to be as willing to budge just because some shows are being made free and are available for download once they get licensed. They want their shows as soon as they come out in Japan, and if that doesn't happen they're just gonna pirate it. So when it finally does arrive in North America they won't really give a crap since they already saw it months ago when it first aired.

Now as a whole, I'm not quite sure at all about how to save anime, but I have to admit nightjuan's thoughts about well executed mainstream programming intrigue me. Mainly, I think the idea of simply taking small, but progressive steps is the right way to get us out of this rut rather than trying to just change everything all at once and hope for the best.

On Madoka, I actually watched the first ep. of that last night, and wasn't that drawn into it. I certainly see potential in it, but the first ep. just didn't quite grab a hold of me like it should have. And really that's the point of a first episode. Sure it may improve later on, but I agree with those who said you shouldn't have to wait for that to happen.

And finally, I had no idea Zac and Justin felt that way about Harry Potter. If anything I feel the exact opposite. The latest movies have consistently failed to meet my expectations unfortunately. That's not to say I didn't enjoy them, but I really feel as though the first three films have done a better job adapting the books' story than any of the latest ones. In particular, part one of the Deathly Hallows was good, but did not impress me nearly as much as I thought it would. And that's mostly because it took so many unnecessary liberties with the book's content as if the creators thought they could do a better job writing the story that J.K. Rowling did. Obviously from their comments, Zac and Justin feel that is indeed the case, however I disagree wholeheartedly with the idea that the seventh book was a total mess, as it is my absolute favorite in the series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:48 pm Reply with quote
TimMaughan wrote:

Indeed, aside from the witch's reality (and yes, there are plenty more of those for your visual enjoyment), the first episode does very little to give an impression that is anything other than an otaku-bait magical girl show (especially when sharing a character designer with Hidamari Sketch). It doesn't entirely escape your concerns about teenage girl drama, but there is something else as well. I think the quickest accurate way to describe Magi Puella Madoka Magica (it continues to surprise me that people have difficulty pronouncing that) is: spoiler[Faust as a magical girl show].
agila61

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:14 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Edit: to the guy above: you can't be BOTHERED? It's like you'd be doing THEM a favor by watching it.
Well, I would be doing them a favor by watching it, if it was available in some legit form. Obviously I'd not be doing them any favors watching bootlegs.

Its either good, and then the creators of a good series deserve to have their rights respected, or its crap, and there's no reason to waste my time tracking down bootlegs of crap.

Quote:
That's a VERY poor choise of words considering you can find Madoka downloads on every second anime related page. You are passing up a great show just because it's not available legally? Sucks to be you, ...
Actually there's plenty of stuff available legit, so there's no perceptible loss, especially, if as you claim:
Quote:
but you missed half the fun of Madoka already. The wild speculations after each episode, along with numerous Kyuubei death-fantasies were half the fun.
If that's half the fun for the fans of the show, I'm obviously not the target audience in any event, since it doesn't sound like much fun.
Animerican14

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:21 pm Reply with quote
CG Lover wrote:
On Madoka, I actually watched the first ep. of that last night, and wasn't that drawn into it. I certainly see potential in it, but the first ep. just didn't quite grab a hold of me like it should have. And really that's the point of a first episode. Sure it may improve later on, but I agree with those who said you shouldn't have to wait for that to happen.

Aren't there so many other shows that also have this whole "it gets much better later" syndrome? Or this occurrence where the first "WHAM" episode is not within the first two? With about most long-running shonen shows, it can take several episodes to get "really cool". I think this might've even been the case with Fullmetal Alchemist (the 2003-2004 anime).... didn't the first two episodes appear "fairly standard" compared to what was shown afterwards? Plenty of shorter series are also no stranger to this rule.

In retrospect-- especially if you're fully caught up on the series at this point-- there is still relevance to the "mundane" happenings of the first episode or two, if only to show just how relatively normal and comfortable these girls were with their lives (and perceptions of the world) prior to that particular event. Plus, if you go back to reflect on their content after watching more of the show, some of the already present dark undercurrents become much more obvious. Granted, they're still not as gripping as later episodes, but also not unnecessary.

agila61 wrote:

DmonHiro wrote:
but you missed half the fun of Madoka already. The wild speculations after each episode, along with numerous Kyuubei death-fantasies were half the fun.

If that's half the fun for the fans of the show, I'm obviously not the target audience in any event, since it doesn't sound like much fun.

Now there's no need to take this statement on Madoka's "fun" so seriously nor at face-value. Let me put it this way: when I started the series back up from 3 on, I did so when the first 9 episodes had already broadcasted. Although I had a spring break trip the next day that I had to set out on, the content (whether in narrative or characters) was gripping and interesting enough to finish episode 6 that same early morning (and watch 7-9 on a very slow internet connection over break). I only cared about forum speculation the week I got back, and am still not fantasizing about the animal mascot's demise, at least not enough so to make internet commentary of the sort.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nayu

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:04 pm Reply with quote
TimMaughan wrote:
Nayu wrote:

Ugh, Skyline. I hated that movie. I see Tim and I don't share views on sci-fi at all. I felt bad paying for it in the first place. (I demanded a refund for Cloverfield too. That was painful.)

Skyline? NOOO! I was talking about District 9!

To be fair I've not seen Skyline, and am in no hurry to...

Oh thank god I was incorrect in what I thought I heard. Very Happy

I didn't especially like District 9, but I liked it more than Skyline. Very Happy

I did find it rather derivative though. I felt like I'd seen most of the concepts done previously. (It really was kinda an homage to a lot of 80s and 90s sci-fi, like Aliens 2(my favorite Aliens movie), V, Alien Nation and even the Transformers movie. Junkeons forever! Plus it had bits that made me think of Men in Black... It was an odd experience which seemed to take away from the message it was trying to present.)

Sorry I got confused as to which recent sci-fi movie you were discussing, it was like 3am local here. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5