• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Toei Reports All-Time High Revenue, Income in 1st Quarter

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr Sinister

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:21 am Reply with quote
hsapin wrote:
Maybe they could use all this money to actually improve the animation of the One Piece anime! Toei just knows that everyone will watch even though the animation is bad, so they're being lazy. It's really stupid that Toei doesn't give one of their biggest cash cows the respect it deserves...

I absolutely second this. I have been watching One Piece for around 8 years now without ever reading the manga. But I've never considered dropping the anime and switching over more than I have lately. Catching myself up on HxH 2011 really hammered it in that these long running shows can have quality CONSISTENT animation throughout. I am so tired of One Piece looking like lazy gross filler for 7 episodes just so there can be a single well animated scene, that usually lasts like 1-3 minutes, and then revert back to garbage again. Yea the episodes are dragging more and more lately, not the first time, but it's the noticeable drop in animation quality that is pushing me away the most. This show really does deserve better for all it's done for them.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:28 am Reply with quote
It's especially really sad if you go back and look at Thriller Bark and Saobady and remember that One Piece actually had decent animation even post-CP9 where everyone typically thinks that it lost it.
bigivel

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:24 am Reply with quote
Mr Sinister wrote:
hsapin wrote:
Maybe they could use all this money to actually improve the animation of the One Piece anime! Toei just knows that everyone will watch even though the animation is bad, so they're being lazy. It's really stupid that Toei doesn't give one of their biggest cash cows the respect it deserves...

I absolutely second this. I have been watching One Piece for around 8 years now without ever reading the manga. But I've never considered dropping the anime and switching over more than I have lately. Catching myself up on HxH 2011 really hammered it in that these long running shows can have quality CONSISTENT animation throughout. I am so tired of One Piece looking like lazy gross filler for 7 episodes just so there can be a single well animated scene, that usually lasts like 1-3 minutes, and then revert back to garbage again. Yea the episodes are dragging more and more lately, not the first time, but it's the noticeable drop in animation quality that is pushing me away the most. This show really does deserve better for all it's done for them.

You shouldn't compare HxH 2011 with One Piece! One Piece is made by Toei, an animation studio that prioritizes good titles and the mainstream audience. In other words, for Toei, quality is like their fifth priority(if that much). Hunter x Hunter is made by Madhouse, basically, the best quality animation studio out there. In terms of movies is still worse(arguable) than Studio Ghibli and in series some can argue that Kyoto animation(or other) is better, but one thing is undeniable! Madhouse is in the top with all this high quality tier animation studios.

One Piece quality lately as degraded immensely, and for some time that haven't been as good as before, but One Piece never had a similar quality to HxH 2011. Is every One Piece Fanboy dream, or should be, that One Piece was made by a studio like Madhouse!

Note: At first HxH was with a studio similar to Toei, but for some reason the remake changed studios, normally that doesn't happen(Which studio would like to loose a sure way of winning money). Unfortunately with the money Toei is receiving, right now with One Piece, a remake, if any, will be made by them.
bigivel

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:49 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
bigivel wrote:
hsapin wrote:

Well, do you see Doki Doki Precure? Is one of Toei's cash cows and it get good animation!! I believe Toriko get's to(not sure here, because I don't watch Toriko).

One Piece isn't everything that Toei have!

DokiDoki's animation is...highly variable.

The question isn't if the animation is highly variable or not, but that the minimum quality is decent. I don't remember seeing any bad animation in DokiDoki Precure!
JulieYBM

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:41 am Reply with quote
Eh, there isn't too much difference between Madhouse's Hunter x Hunter and Toei Animation's One Piece, especially in the former's current arc. Madhouse tends to employ animators better suited at keeping character models relatively on-model and detailed but there has been little in the way of having enough drawings and talented animators to produce plentiful high-quality battle scenes. Sawada Hidehiko's cuts have become fewer and farther in-between leading to less and less impressive battle animation. The directing has also taken a hit with even Kurita Shin'ichi's contributions during the Genthru fight not being too up-to-par.

Of course, One Piece barely has any drawings allowed at all these days with the only particularly good animator being Shida Naotoshi, whenever he can be stolen away from providing Pretty Cure or another Toei series an elaborate series of cuts.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2